• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Shinriji

My search for neogeo related stuff in NYC isn't going that well. I found some AES and CD stuff at J&L (overpriced as always) and nothing at bookoff.

let's see on VGNY.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
A new video of that Kraut Buster game came out a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMix_9cesik

Gotta say, I'm the opposite of impressed. Like, I don't know what the appeal of these latter day Neo Geo games is. It's just another indie game being released on a prohibitively expensive format for no reason, and it's made worse by the fact that it's such a bald-faced Metal Slug rip-off. I don't appreciate or respect the novelty of building a game within the limitations of the Neo Geo hardware. Neo Geo games weren't good because of their technical limitations, they were good because of game design prowess.

I spit on this.

Peltz

A new video of that Kraut Buster game came out a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMix_9cesik

Gotta say, I'm the opposite of impressed. Like, I don't know what the appeal of these latter day Neo Geo games is. It's just another indie game being released on a prohibitively expensive format for no reason, and it's made worse by the fact that it's such a bald-faced Metal Slug rip-off. I don't appreciate or respect the novelty of building a game within the limitations of the Neo Geo hardware. Neo Geo games weren't good because of their technical limitations, they were good because of game design prowess.

I spit on this.
Some people just enjoy working on certain hardware because they're big fans of it. I think it would be best if they sold the game both as a physical cart and as an appropriately priced ROM file similar to that of an indie game.

Futaleufu

I spit on this.

That doesnt look bad at all, specially considering they managed to move all those sprites and bullets without slowdowns. Good that they are still supporting the Neo Geo, but not releasing this also on XB1/PS4/Steam seemed like a mistake. Then i checked the price on their store (429 EUR). Yep, no wonder they keep releasing their games only on NG.

Danny Dudekisser

I think my copy of Bust a Move Again got here. Gotta pick that up. Kinda tempted to grab some other Neo Geo games in the near future so I can start building up a borderline respectable collection. I'm quickly realizing that there's literally dozens of games I want to buy.

Also, we're at 19 weeks. Boo.

Danny Dudekisser

So... should I go ahead and just buy Metal Slug 2? I've already got X, but something tells me that the two are still different enough that, as a fan of the series, it's worth having. And I've always preferred the color palette for 2.

MS2 and Blazing Star are the two games I'm seriously grabbing in the next couple of days. I'll probably end up getting both, I suspect. Which would bring me to 7 games, 4 of which are Metal Slugs.

Peltz

It depends on whether you can deal with the slowdown. It's pretty damned slow. I personally prefer the layout in 2 over X, but I only play X on replays these days because of how slow 2 runs.

Danny Dudekisser

It depends on whether you can deal with the slowdown. It's pretty damned slow. I personally prefer the layout in 2 over X, but I only play X on replays these days because of how slow 2 runs.

I think I can deal. I watched a runthrough of the first few stages, and while it definitely chugs, I feel like shmups have kinda made me accustomed to that sort of thing.

Peltz

I think I can deal. I watched a runthrough of the first few stages, and while it definitely chugs, I feel like shmups have kinda made me accustomed to that sort of thing.
Remember though, this is a lot of slowdown on a 30 FPS game, not a 60 FPS game. It will probably feel worse than what your accustomed to.

There is also the turbo rom that can be swapped in for ms2 and its fantastic, you just need to find someone who can do the swap.

As for blazing star, its the best hori shooter (just edging out last resort) on the system imo and not getting any cheaper.

cross posting before i send it back:

i grabbed a 4 slot mvs but the carts it came with are bootleg. the ebay guy is a jerk as well.
9QS7y7ah.jpg

T1JuoaAh.jpg

z6SVcH9h.jpg

AZYV3ITh.jpg

Ic31ULOh.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

Went ahead and ordered Blazing Star. Never played it before, but I've only ever heard great things about it and I don't have any other shooters on the system yet.

Danny Dudekisser

Sigh... I bought Metal Slug 2... but that's it! I'm done for now. I need to stop buying arcade games. For a little bit.

Anyway, that makes my paltry collection:

Blazing Star
Bust A Move Again
The King of Fighters 2000
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X

So I'm 5% of the way to a complete Neo Geo collection. I've kind of entertained the idea of actually collecting the full library, but uh... maybe I should just stick to the 40-50 NG games I actually want.

Sigh... I bought Metal Slug 2... but that's it! I'm done for now. I need to stop buying arcade games. For a little bit.

Anyway, that makes my paltry collection:

Blazing Star
Bust A Move Again
The King of Fighters 2000
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X

So I'm 5% of the way to a complete Neo Geo collection. I've kind of entertained the idea of actually collecting the full library, but uh... maybe I should just stick to the 40-50 NG games I actually want.

Hey - that's a *great* start!

I'd definitely make a list of your must-haves and tick them off over time as you can, maybe picking up others when you find them cheap. I ended up buying some cheap-ish boots to complete my must-have list, but otherwise am super happy with the ~40 carts I've collected over the last decade and I've definitely completed my top 10 list.

You'll also see how much something is played over time. For instance, Windjammers never leaves my machine, I tend to bounce between a Bust a Move and a Magical Drop, usually have a sports or action title, and one fighting game. Most of the middle-tier fighters I've collected never see play, because I'd rather play Garou, SamSho2, or Waku Waku 7. Those other games are nice to have in the collection, but they just collect dust.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, it's a start, but the list is pretty daunting. If I got everything that I had any interest in, my wishlist would be:

1. Aero Fighters 2
2. Aero Fighters 3
3. Alpha Mission 2
4. Art of Fighting 2 (maybe)
5. Art of Fighting 3
6. Baseball Stars 2
7. Breakers Revenge
8. Bust-A-Move
9. Cyber Lip
10. Galaxy Fight (maybe)
11. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
12. The Irritating Maze (maybe)
13. Kabuki Klash
14. The King of Fighters 97
15. The King of Fighters 98
16. The King of Fighters 99
17. The King of Fighters 2002 (maybe)
18. The King of Fighters 2003
19. Kizuna Encounter
20. Last Blade
21. Last Blade 2
22. Last Resort
23. League Bowling
24. Magical Drop 2
25. Magical Drop 3
26. Magician Lord
27. Metal Slug 5 (maybe)
28. Mutation Nation
29. Nam 1975
30. Neo Drift Out
31. Neo Turf Masters
32. Nightmare in the Dark
33. Ninja Commando
34. Ninja Master’s
35. Overtop
36. Prehistoric Isle 2
37. Pulstar
38. Rage of the Dragons
39. Real Bout Fatal Fury
40. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
41. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
42. Robo Army (maybe)
43. Samurai Shodown
44. Samurai Shodown II
45. Samurai Shodown IV
46. Samurai Shodown V
47. Samurai Shodown V Special
48. Sengoku 2
49. Sengoku 3
50. Shock Troopers
51. Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
52. Street Hoop
53. Strikers 1945
54. Super Dodge Ball
55. Thrash Rally
56. Twinkle Star Sprites
57. Viewpoint
58. Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (maybe)
59. Waku Waku 7
60. Windjammers
61. World Heroes 2 Jet
62. World Heroes Perfect
63. Zupapa

So basically... it'd be 70 games, all told, or almost half the library.

Danny Dudekisser

You need Neo Turf Masters at least.

Think about it.

Was thinking about it this morning, actually. Trouble is always finding a good condition cart... and I don't want to buy the kit, because I have no interest whatsoever in all the extraneous shit.

Danny Dudekisser

Got an email from Bitmap Books that the Neo Geo Visual History book has arrived at their fulfillment center and should be shipped out by Monday.

Ban Puncher

UmL7SzE.gif

Not much to report from my holiday. Acquired another copy of KOF 98 on AES but nothing terribly interesting.

You can never have too many copies of The King of Fighters 98 though.

Danny Dudekisser

IT'S HERE!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY

After 20 (!) weeks of waiting, I finally got my Omega. Pics:

GD5sAi0.jpg

Build quality is great -- on par with the Retron 5. I really love the clean lines and tasteful branding.

Games are a pretty snug fit in the cartridge slot, but they feel secure

2x7EoJE.jpg

But the real magic is when you play a game on it -- it really brings me back to the '90s

eC38PBF.jpg

So excited to finally have it.

Heh heh heh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What version did you order?

I bought the regular edition.

Danny Dudekisser

thanks!

i returned the 4 slot mvs and looking into another

Yeah, I'd recommend getting a consolized Neo Geo, personally. You're going to want to have Unibios on there, as that's what'll let you switch between regions at will (useful for games that were censored in NA) and the arcade and home versions. Honestly, though? Go with JNX, as Peltz suggested to me waaaay back. I like the design of the Omega a lot, but chances are that you don't want to wait half a goddamn year for it. Unless you're really adamant about having that particular design, don't bother.

I don't think that any of the consolized Neo Geos have digital output, but I'm guessing you're using this with a scaler at the very least, anyway.

Danny Dudekisser

FWIW, I got my Omega in 2 weeks.

That's honestly kind of incredible to me. I mean... look, at the end of the day, what I'm going to care about the most is having a quality product. I know I'm going to be delighted with this fucking thing once I finally get it, because really -- who's complaining about their Omega? Nobody. Everyone loves the thing once they get it.

But, it's an incompetently run business. When I ordered, I was quoted 5-6 weeks, and was told that was the low-end of what to expect. I understand that shit happens, that this is a made-to-order product, and that sourcing supplies can be a challenge for this sort of thing. But the lack of communication is laughable. You can't set expectations and then end up at quadruple that estimate without a fucking word to communicate the delays. If I was told it would be several months from the get-go, that's one thing. If the delays were explained to me as they occurred, that would be fine, too. But we're so farcically far from a "reasonable" delay at this point that comes across as complete joke. And not the funny kind, like I make.

So, it's kind of a weird situation. Yes, I'm still confident that I'm going to fucking love this thing once I get it. I have no doubt that I'm going to be glad I bought it as opposed to the alternatives. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Top Bottom