• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

razu

Pro Tip (or not if it seems obvious): Turn Traction Control to '0' for rally events. It's still not perfect but at least your tyres will dig in to the dirt when the accelerator is applied, rather than being mediated.

It's quicker...by lots.

Yes! And think of your brakes as turning multipliers. Concentrate on getting the car pointing the right way for the corner exit as quickly as possible, then lay on the power, glide to the outside, and as you stop sliding sideways.. wave and smile for the camera :D

I'm enjoying the offroad racing. Problem is that you learn to go faster and immediately create more problems as you're entering the next corner at higher speed! And the cars don't like to slow down on dirt :D

VucPmK7.gif

Yes! And think of your brakes as turning multipliers. Concentrate on getting the car pointing the right way for the corner exit as quickly as possible, then lay on the power, glide to the outside, and as you stop sliding sideways.. wave and smile for the camera :D

I'm enjoying the offroad racing. Problem is that you learn to go faster and immediately create more problems as you're entering the next corner at higher speed! And the cars don't like to slow down on dirt :D

It is also interesting both on dirt and on tarmac how many times you find you can improve a section by not being on brake OR throttle for a short time. It becomes programmed that you are either hard on the gas or hard on the brakes and that's usually true, except when the right solution is to lift and wait for what seems like ages.

Was listening to MJ's P.Y.T. when this showed up and was the perfect soundtrack.

I wish there was more camera options in the replays. I'd love a kind of drone camera which just followed a car around the track cinematically without all the camera cuts that the existing camera options have.

Flo_Evans

lol finally free and I am going out of town for the weekend. I almost considered taking the PS4 with me (I am going to the austin f1 race).

The game is amazing, time will tell if they can accomplish what they set out to do with sport mode but I applaud the effort.

See you next Tuesday (when they update the dailies lol) my plane is taking off!

Maybe I just don't understand how they're matching people. In my mind, SR should be god for matching. I try very hard to race cleanly and I want to race with people who share that desire. So I feel like that's a much more important match criteria than how fast someone is. DR should be a secondary criteria. When half the field in my races are people in a lower SR ranking, that really sours the experience.

Speed is important because people would game the system and hang out at the back of the pack to get better SR.

Them come in and fuck up our races cause really they're terrible drivers. It's not rocket science.

Gotta be fast and safe.

bosh

Game is a dream online. I don't even mind not winning, picking up positions from pole feels like an accomplishment. Started 16th pole last race and got 6th overall while also keeping my SR blue.

Having a wheel helps staying clean I think, gives you that tiny bit extra control and "feel" for when to push and when to hold back.

AHindD

Did the ‘Dailies’ change to new events yet?

Nope, and it wont happen until next Tuesday. Its utter insanity. I'm done with these 3 courses (1 of which you could hardly call a course).
Really disappointed with the game. For a game to focus so heavily on multiplayer and screw up everything about the course selection, ranking up/down process, and car selection (especially, it seems for the NXX class cars, the M4 has such an advantage over every other car its broken)....Its extremely aggravating as the driving 'simulation' here is extremely satisfying.

Everything said in the quote below summarises my thoughts exactly on the game.

Just to chime in on some discussions since last night.

30 lap endurance race: Medium tires every time, Five, 6 lap stints. Done.
You can have fun using the fuel map settings, but you can also keep it super simple. Start on Medium tires, pit every 6 laps, take new medium tires, add enough fuel for 6 more laps (I would always add about 6.5 laps to be safe) That is it. I finished well ahead of second place.

Dailies every 5 min:
This is a necessary edition if races are going to be so short. However, I would much prefer to have some hourly races that last 30 min +. Adding a SR system then only doing 3-5 lap sprint races is idiotic. Everyone is going to try to win the race in every turn because you have no time to settle in, observe, and set up a move. There is also no opportunity to let player over heat their tires by pressuring them.

Dailies being weeklies:
Yep this still sucks, especially with only three events for the entire game right now. A mix of the two would be ideal for a game like GTS.
Edit: With the same tracks for an entire week, the least they could do is make you set a new qualifying time for each session. Would at least mix up the field a little bit. Being able to bank an entire week of grid spots on a single lap is lame. It is only going to encourage exploiting track limits etc so people can get pole position over and over.

Down Tuning N___ cars:
This is going to be the norm until there is a spec race series. Multi car fields are difficult to balance and that is why you only see two to three cars to choose for mix car fields in games like iRacing. PD has been unable to balance cars since the GT5 PP system was introduced. There is no reason for the tune system in GTS right now. It just makes the meta even more limited. The only time GT had a decent pack of balanced cars was with the JGTC cars....yet we don't have those.

SR and DR:
SR is a mess right now. Swings way too much . Getting to a new rank should be a big deal and give you a margin before dropping you. They also need to add more events to Sports mode and have them gated off by SR ranking. You shouldn't even be able to get into a Gr.__ race until you are SR of B or higher. Set specific criteria for SR rank up. You have to gain a certain amount of SR points as well as complete a certain amount of races at that rank. DR is even more worthless. Moves too quickly to diversify the field into proper sections. You can play often and rank up, or be a alien and rank up, but the rank doesn't seem to reflect your class of skill. If anything it feels like DR is the thinking dividing the field into sportmanship classes more than SR is. It is also unclear exactly how your DR is being effected so being a B class driver over a C class driver doesn't mean much other than you will likely have people racing more cleanly....but that is supposed to be the thing controlled by SR not DR!!!

Missions:
These started fun but end up being pretty terrible by groups 7 and 8. All they do is throw you in last place against a bunch of cars going way too slow, braking in the middle of apexes, weaving all over the place, and taking the dumbest lines through corners. The Fishing Village challenge was awful. It is teaching you nothing about racing, just a mindless GT challenge of go from last to first with terrible AI in between. The entire Nordschliefe challenge is this and makes it a joyless feat. Can't wait to be done with the missions at this point.

Speed is important because people would game the system and hang out at the back of the pack to get better SR.

Them come in and fuck up our races cause really they're terrible drivers. It's not rocket science.

Gotta be fast and safe.

That doesn't seem very plausible... most people are just bad drivers or don't know the tracks or the car handling, and not trying to pull elaborate trolling of serious drivers. Anyway people could still do that now by driving fast and then ramming people when they get higher in the ranks, and under the current system they could troll higher ranks for longer than what I'm proposing.

But I said the Driving Rating is important, it should have less weight than the SR. In other words, make sure C ranks are only playing with other C ranks, and then subdivide that group by speed. Otherwise what's the point of getting up to a new rank if you're still playing with people a SR rank below you?

So in Sport mode I don’t use my garage cars??

Just curious what’s the point in having a garage if they provide the cars. Loving so far just wondering.

That doesn't seem very plausible... most people are just bad drivers or don't know the tracks or the car handling, and not trying to pull elaborate trolling of serious drivers. Anyway people could still do that now by driving fast and then ramming people when they get higher in the ranks, and under the current system they could troll higher ranks for longer than what I'm proposing.

But I said the Driving Rating is important, it should have less weight than the SR. In other words, make sure C ranks are only playing with other C ranks, and then subdivide that group by speed. Otherwise what's the point of getting up to a new rank if you're still playing with people a SR rank below you?

The ranks are tied together.

Having a bad SR won't allow you to up your DR.

It's written somewhere in the game lol.

So in Sport mode I don’t use my garage cars??

Just curious what’s the point in having a garage if they provide the cars. Loving so far just wondering.

They become an option if they meet the criteria.

The1Ski

I should not have listened to the giant bombcast.

I am sitting here looking at my sealed copy of the limited edition, debating returning it.

I know the honey moon period is strong still. Anyone care to chime in?

Really enjoyed the beta but decided to rent first for full release.

Glad I rented. I'll buy if they significantly beef up the Sport mode (which is funny since I assumed it was the focus of the whole game).

Great great great gameplay but I had my fun with the 3 race Sport races yesterday. Now I'm just kind of working my way through the challenges and tests.

Really enjoyed the beta but decided to rent first for full release.

Glad I rented. I'll buy if they significantly beef up the Sport mode (which is funny since I assumed it was the focus of the whole game).

Great great great gameplay but I had my fun with the 3 race Sport races yesterday. Now I'm just kind of working my way through the challenges and tests.

Yeah. I would advise anyone considering this to try renting it first. It is missing a LOT for a $60 game. I think they’ll support it and over time it will be great but right now I find it hard to recommend at full price. If you can wait, wait.

Apeboy

Gotta be fast and safe.

This is exactly what I’m doing, except for coming in and fucking up the races. Everyone seems to be doing a good enough job on their own atm.

I even wish I could go back and tank my qualifying times. I usually start in the top 5 and without fail I get dive bombed on corner 1, if I manage to avoid that I get it at corner 2.

I’m doing nothing but trying to slink to the back of the pack if I can’t get some distance midway through first lap. It’s just not worth it. Hopefully I can SR myself into some clean racing.

Any ideas why the "Live Reports" section has "breaking news" from May 2016?

I think that's news for all the FIA GT events from last year? But yeah it looks a bit random. Like a lot of things about Sport mode, they seem to assume that everyone buying GTS also bought 5 and 6, watches every F1 race, knows every racing rule, and basically doesn't need anything explained. Which was...probably a bad assumption.

I was actually hoping when I saw Live Reports that PD would be having color commentaries on random races.

This is exactly what I’m doing, except for coming in and fucking up the races. Everyone seems to be doing a good enough job on their own atm.

I even wish I could go back and tank my qualifying times. I usually start in the top 5 and without fail I get dive bombed on corner 1, if I manage to avoid that I get it at corner 2.

I’m doing nothing but trying to slink to the back of the pack if I can’t get some distance midway through first lap. It’s just not worth it. Hopefully I can SR myself into some clean racing.

Have you tried just letting people divebomb the corner?

There are many instances where I take the safer line over the faster one. The type of driver you're talking about will ruin their own race 90% of the time.

I think that's news for all the FIA GT events from last year? But yeah it looks a bit random. Like a lot of things about Sport mode, they seem to assume that everyone buying GTS also bought 5 and 6, watches every F1 race, knows every racing rule, and basically doesn't need anything explained. Which was...probably a bad assumption.

I can agree with this.

Keep your eye on the message tab. Found a handy tip the other day explaining how with each SR you go up, the car ghosting lessens until it's completely gone in S.

Ihyll

Sorry if this has already been asked...

I know there is a limited number of cars but what I want to know is can you still tune the shit out of them like in previous gt titles?

Keep your eye on the message tab. Found a handy tip the other day explaining how with each SR you go up, the car ghosting lessens until it's completely gone in S.

Where's the message tab? Do you mean the rotating banners on the bottom of the home screen? Good to know about the ghosting btw.

Sorry if this has already been asked...

I know there is a limited number of cars but what I want to know is can you still tune the shit out of them like in previous gt titles?

There are tons of tuning options, and there is an upgrade system (albeit simplistic) that allows you to bring cars up or down to different performance levels.

Don't expect to be able to add spoilers and exhausts etc, it's all about tyre pressure etc.

Apeboy

Have you tried just letting people divebomb the corner?

There are many instances where I take the safer line over the faster one. The type of driver you're talking about will ruin their own race 90% of the time.

I’ve done that and it works sometimes but overall I think right now until things get sorted I will have to be happy playing the SR minigame. I’m hopeful that will payoff and the bargers start to fall back and get some separation from those that want to race clean. Polyphony didn’t help by finding the smallest tracks out of the gate.

Wollan

Is my assumption correct in that Sport qualifying times persist across multiple days & sessions?

I'm pretty sure my best lap time from yesterday was used for my positioning in the same race today.

Whew lad, just got Gold in all the Driving School challenges. The rally courses are a pain in the ass. Beat the Gold time for the very last event by like .3 seconds.

Very worth playing all Driving Test challenges.

Is my assumption correct in that Sport qualifying times persist across multiple days & sessions?

I'm pretty sure my best lap time from yesterday was used for my positioning in the same race today.

In the one of the notes it says the times will remain as long as that event is active. The Suzuka times have stuck but as the Brands Hatch race was changed you had to put down a new qualifying time.

Not sure if I like it sticking. I think it might (though it might not) be better to use the qualifying times once you register so it is more accurate to your performance at that point in time.

spwolf

I was actually hoping when I saw Live Reports that PD would be having color commentaries on random races.

FIA tests are coming in 2-3 weeks, serious people need to start practicing.

onanie

In the one of the notes it says the times will remain as long as that event is active. The Suzuka times have stuck but as the Brands Hatch race was changed you had to put down a new qualifying time.

Not sure if I like it sticking. I think it might (though it might not) be better to use the qualifying times once you register so it is more accurate to your performance at that point in time.

I think it is good to allow people up to a week to continuously improve their qualifying time, given the limited time for qualifying (both due to race entrance procedure, and real life commitments).

Melfice7

I should not have listened to the giant bombcast.

I am sitting here looking at my sealed copy of the limited edition, debating returning it.

I know the honey moon period is strong still. Anyone care to chime in?

Forget giant bomb and watch inside sim racing video review, they are informative on what matters

Mobius 1

The daily race at Suzuka with a group of good drivers. Some of the most cathartic experiences I’ve hard with a racing title.

I can’t believe people are depriving themselves from this because of a perceived lack of content. If you really enjoy Motorsport you owe yourself to try this.

Whew lad, just got Gold in all the Driving School challenges. The rally courses are a pain in the ass. Beat the Gold time for the very last event by like .3 seconds.

Very worth playing all Driving Test challenges.

One of the first (supposedly easy) intermediate rally course tests (an almost straight shot) was like
Do it again..
And again..
And again..

Finally I find the right line and then spend another half an hour trying to beat my ghost because the top 10 are like .0XX and I have .120 on it. Never found that 0.030.

Top Bottom