• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are men allowed to be pretty?

tkscz

Not to a lot of society no. But if YOU want to, go ahead. Fuck society. It was a mistake anyway
It's nothing but trash.

Kthulhu

84a44f43641b3042c72b3577130a11a92968a6b9_hq.gif

Wrong JoJo.

These are the real fabulous boys:
latest

Gimme Part 5 David Pro!

LinLeigh

I purposely call my son pretty as well as handsome.

He is 4 and sometimes picks up a pink necklace or a girls t-shirt.

I let him but my family thinks I'm a little crazy but I think he should be allowed to explore whatever he wants.

The funny thing is he is such a stereotypical boy always busy and obsessed with superheroes. Just sometimes in a pink t-shirt.

Wamb0wneD

I'm male and have some dresses at home. Love that stuff, but I'm not brave enough to wear it in public. Lot's of prejudice going on and If I were to walka cross some durnk bigoted assholes at night then yeah... I'd rather not.
Started when a girl wanted to see me in some stuff and led to me really liking it. And I'm not even looking bad in it lol. I suck with makeup though and it's just a hassle so I don't use any.

So no I don't think anything is wrong with that (I think barely anybody does on GAF tbh). Have fun OP.

Do whatever makes you feel happy OP. As long as you’re not harming anyone it shouldn’t be anyone’s business how you chose to live your life.

Frostburn

As long as you aren't spreading hate and putting people in danger I don't care what people do, in fact I encourage people to do whatever makes them happiest in life. No one should be afraid of what others think, you do you and be proud.

Op you can come to my house any time and try my makeup/wear my dresses and feel pretty and not be judged by me in the least.Though no clue if my clothes would even fit you.

I personally see nothing wrong with any guy who wants to look pretty/wear feminine clothes (if that's what your referring to as well) shave, etc... but sadly for a lot of society they feel men are supposed to be "rugged" and "manly" and women are supposed to be "feminine" and anything that doesn't fit their norms is wrong.

haimon

You can wear whatever you want. You can put make up on you and do tons of different things.

However if you are different than the expected norm, expect there to be people with issues with it.

Also good luck showing up to work on a daily basis in such a way (costune days aside).

matmanx1

I think people of both sexes/genders can be beautiful and it has very little to do with what they are wearing.

In my mind, pretty is a word that can be used to describe mail or female.

dbztrk

Are they "allowed"? Sure. There is no law stopping them. Are you asking if it acceptable to do so? I generally don't find that to be true. However, society is changing.

Jzero

Do what you want.
People tell me it's super gay for me to wear hoops like George Michael but I don't give a fuck.

kmax

Yes. People will judge, but people will judge anyway no matter what. It doesn't matter in the end.

Do what you want to do.

mantidor

It's a question of cultural standards though.
K-Pop dudes are seen as cool and handsome in Korea, not "pretty"/"feminine" like they would somewhere else.
Like, you'd show them to a random Joe in the US and I wouldn't be surprised he'd assume they're gay.

I remember Japanese bands like Malice Mizer that were literally about looking pretty even by Japanese standards, not just cool. They used dresses, make up and wigs, and not in a drag queen way, it was just the image of the band.

I once taught a keyboarding class filled mostly with women, and at one point, some of them were showing me pictures of their spouses/boyfriends (it was a laid-back atmosphere). They claimed their partners were "hawt" and I was like "let me see if I agree".

I told him "honestly, they're ok, but they're not No Min-woo". I showed them a picture of Min-woo and they were like "He's too pretty to be handsome."

Here's the issue, and it's evident in some facetious posts in this thread: "Pretty men" has an air of "men who want to wear dresses and paint their nails and basically pretend to be women." There's an idea that some inherent tension exists between "pretty" and "man," at least in Western cultures that have set different standards for male and female beauty. To be "pretty" is to no longer look like a "man."

But that's silly. I can look at No Min-woo, or lots of Korean pop stars, and still recognize that they're men. Yes, they're soft, thin, moisturized, and well dressed - but we've set the bar so low for men (especially straight men) in American culture that even participating in these kinds of grooming behaviors marks men as "pretty."

I think metrosexuality has shifted the idea a bit, at least among the younger generation, and I'd prefer that it continue. People shouldn't be like "you're too pretty to be a man" because you wear fitted clothes, style your hair, and moisturize on the daily.

In short, OP: Yeah, men can be pretty, whatever that means. Let's keep pushing that boundary.

wandering

Banned
As a guy who trends toward the slim, shy, sensitive type it just really sucks how deeply ingrained in a lot of societies it is that “real” men must embody a particular archetype. Also the way it intersects with race.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
By "pretty" I mean like be feminine , wear dresses etc? I mean speaking as they still identify as a guy and their orientation has no baring on anything.

I made like thread about gender/sex but it stood out to me that some had reservations when it came to doing certain things.

Is there something inherently wrong with doing as you please? Or would it come with a lot of backlash?

The answer is yes men can be pretty

Alienous

The day we see televised, mainstream male beauty pageants is the same day men will be 'allowed' to be pretty.

A shirt revealing unshaven armpits or hairy arms, or pants/shorts/dress revealing unshaven legs?

You could extend it to any exposed body hair in general, I guess.

Miles X

I get called pretty boy all the time (though don't think I look feminine). Perhaps a more common thing here in the UK?

I don't think it's typically meant in a negative way either.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
They should and other men should leave them alone when they do. I have no idea why everyone is so concerned with what everyone else gets up to.

LordKasual

Banned
* Not everything in life revolves about sex.
* Also, homosexuality exists.
* Also, there's all kinds of people with all kinds of preferences - there's certainly women who enjoy a man in a dress.

*naturally
*naturally
*naturally

I didn't realize i had to account for every edge case on earth guys, yikes

Top Bottom