• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PROMETHEUS Full Theatrical Trailer (2:32) + International UK trailer (2:47)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because the script stayed pretty consistent from inception to execution doesn't mean they didn't play around a lot with it.

Here's one quote indicating how it changed from the first script

We know they were meant to find some ancient artifacts.

I'm sure you've been to this site

Here's some more quotes from that site:

Looks to me like they took up the Pyramid\Silo concept with the hieroglyphs for Prometheus. I see a mention of tentacles as well. It's not much, but it definitely dates back to Alien's production.
I posted a pic of Giger's Silo concept earlier in this thread. It resembles the structure in the Prometheus trailer. Also, neat that Giger mentions hieroglyphics, as they are also shown in the Prometheus trailer.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
From some other site:

How much of Prometheus is ripped off from Mass Effect ??? I was thinking that i was wrong based only on first footage, but now there's clearly plenty of Mass Effect there ...

I think I'm going to ly down for a minute.

derFeef

I can see why some would think that. I can see a resamblance of the Mako, the space suits, some shots... but nothing else really.

INPAQ

Neo Member
tumblr_m12o0jqPAB1qabwaco1_500.gif

So hype...

MNC

I think I'll see this trailer then go dark.

Who am I kidding? I don't think I'll be able to help myself.

I don't even want to see this trailer. But I think I must. I MUST. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. Yeah. This is the last trailer I'll watch. Then go dark. June is far away. So.

derFeef

What the flying eff... why are they giving the movie a subtitle in german territories?
"Prometheus - Dunkle Zeichen"
(Prometheus - Dark Signs)

Sometimes I have no idea what they think....

duckroll

From some other site:

I think I'm going to ly down for a minute.

I feel the complete opposite. The first trailer definitely felt a lot like Mass Effect/Halo/New Star Trek in terms of the suit design, the action pieces, and how some scenes looked. After this trailer though, it's totally Alien.

MNC

I don't even want to see this trailer. But I think I must. I MUST. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. Yeah. This is the last trailer I'll watch. Then go dark. June is far away. So.

OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT DID I JUST SEE!?!?!?! It's dripping with amaze

IT'S LIKE

THERE'S AN ACTUAL MYSTERY BEHIND THIS STORY THAT FUCKING FASCINATES ME SO HARD

Alien had that too; there's so much story to be told with just the first hour of discovery. RIDLEY SCOTT AM GOD.

What the flying eff... why are they giving the movie a subtitle in german territories?
"Prometheus - Dunkle Zeichen"
(Prometheus - Dark Signs)

Sometimes I have no idea what they think....

Maybe German speakers could shed light on it, but its possible that the term doesn't carry as much weight for Germans as it does for English speakers.

Or maybe it's just one of those inexplicable localizations.

antipod

June 1 can't come soon enough. Haven't looked forward to a movie like this in 10 years in over 10 years.

Feel sorry for those in Germany and other countries that doesn't premiere it until august / september :/

Maybe German speakers could shed light on it, but its possible that the term doesn't carry as much weight for Germans as it does for English speakers.

Or maybe it's just one of those inexplicable localizations.

Sounds more like they simply wanted to slap on a subtitle. Probably to avoid confusion with other movies or works of fiction. Though most likely it's a simple localization decision with no real reason other than thinking that Prometheus alone wouldn't sell as well.

duckroll

Okay, I'm going to make a wide guess based on watching the trailer 3 times: The ship is alive, and it IS an alien. One huge super lifeform that is made up of a colony of smaller lifeforms.

"It's changing."

"What is?"

"The ship."

"They're leaving."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sounds more like they simply wanted to slap on a subtitle. Probably to avoid confusion with other movies or works of fiction. Though most likely it's a simple localization decision with no real reason other than thinking that Prometheus alone wouldn't sell as well.
Some European distributors are really afraid of missing the target audience and sometimes add the weirdest subtitles (or even change the entire name to something else).

It can be kind of annoying.

S1kkZ

June 1 can't come soon enough. Haven't looked forward to a movie like this in 10 years in over 10 years.

Feel sorry for those in Germany and other countries that doesn't premiere it until august / september :/

i will drive to holland to see it on june 1st. it will cost me around 200 bucks but i really dont want to wait until mid august.

Chinner

Banned
eh looks a bit generic, i was kinda hoping that christopher nolan could have directed this instead. that would have been mind blowing/

Yocke

Some European distributors are really afraid of missing the target audience and sometimes add the weirdest subtitles (or even change the entire name to something else).

It can be kind of annoying.

What I hate the most is not when they translate the title, but when they change it completely, and they feel the need to explain the whole concept of the movie in the title. For example, The Shawshank Redemption was called The Key to Freedom, and Coming to America was called A Prince in New York here in Sweden.

Anteater

This might be a bit far fetched but I remember someone pointing out the ship has a similar shape as the alien cycle concept art, and the egg chamber is coincidentally is in the center of it (I think?):

xyEHe.jpg
eIl2d.jpg

Chinner

Banned
so how spoilery is the trailer? i want to watch it but im also pretty hyped for this. or should i just watch the trailer regardless?

G-Fex

so how spoilery is the trailer? i want to watch it but im also pretty hyped for this. or should i just watch the trailer regardless?

Spoiler

Ridley shows up at the end with two plasma rifles and says "You guys wouldn't believe what happened"

bengraven

Probably not nearly as spoilery as the Dark Shadows trailer (which literally showed everything except the ending) and yet it does in fact show what is probably the climactic event.

Spoiler

Ridley shows up at the end with two plasma rifles and says "You guys wouldn't believe what happened"

Noomi is getting attacked by the Space Jockey and Ridley is like "get away from her you BITCH"....s[/poiler]

Woops, need to fix my spoiler.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This might be a bit far fetched but I remember someone pointing out the ship has a similar shape as the alien cycle concept art, and the egg chamber is coincidentally is in the center of it (I think?):

xyEHe.jpg
eIl2d.jpg

I'm about to design my new flat and I want a big Giger piece for the living room. Unfortunately I can't find a single one that wouldn't creep the fuck out of any visitors.

derFeef

Giger freaks me out. The fact that he said he needs lot's and lot's of opium because he is so scared of his thoughts is ... scary.

bengraven

Giger freaks me out. The fact that he said he needs lot's and lot's of opium because he is so scared of his thoughts is ... scary.

Fuck yes. I remember Dan talking about that on the special features for Alien. "I take opium to stop the visions..."

For a week I was suddenly terrified: what if Giger was looking into a dark dimension that exists on the edge of ours and he could see the things that touched our veil and tried to get here, into our own world? What if the xenomorphs fucking existed?

Pretty much, Mass Effect is just halo with sex.

Exactly the same game, just without sex.

Tokubetsu

Idris Elba's fake accent is so fucking awful, it may ruin the movie for me. I'm an Elba fan too ='(. Idk what to do, I'm having a panic attack.

Xater

Yeah I guess the latter. I hate it.

You should know by now that German title localizations make no sense at all. My favorite from laste year probably is that they changed "Horrible Bosses" to "Kill the Boss". I will call this flick just Prometheus and ignore the subtitle.

The design of the tech used here reminds me a lot of the designs used in Avatar.

WAT?

Mr. Sam

You should know by now that German title localizations make no sense at all. My favorite from laste year probably is that they changed "Horrible Bosses" to "Kill the Boss". I will call this flick just Prometheus and ignore the subtitle.

Yeah, but the opening titles are going to be twice as long for you guys.

Exactly the same game, just without sex.

What are you talking about? Halo and Cortana have sex all the time. All the time.
I have a friend that has the weirdest dreams (straight out of Silent Hill stuff, way before Silent Hill existed) and sometimes we would draw these dreams and I always found his drawings fascinating. I remember showing him crazy Giger stuff to fuel his dreams but he started taking medication to make it stop instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom