• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Giacchino posts Clip from Spider-Man Homecoming OST -> Classic Theme

Didn't blow me away but it's nice, what irritates me more is people saying Tyler Bates' Guardians or Silvestri's Avengers themes aren't memorable. Not memorable to you. Not to you.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The problem with Avengers is, that it changed from part one to two and the second one is now the go to theme, while the first one had the more memorable moments.

WillyFive

Didn't blow me away but it's nice, what irritates me more is people saying Tyler Bates' Guardians or Silvestri's Avengers themes aren't memorable. Not memorable to you. Not to you.

All of Silvestri's themes for the MCU are fantastic. He is such a varied composer that he should have done the scores to all of the films.

Tyler Bates' theme for Guardians is ok, but major props for using it again in Vol. 2. That's the kind of consistency that the MCU needs in its scores.

A cover of classic theme doesn't make it good. I don't have faith in this movie, decent composer but generic template everything when it comes to MCU and I expect the score to follow that template.

The only time a marvel movie had a great and memorable soundtrack start to finish was Elfman's SM. Horners was okay, but nothing special. Even Zimmer's SM sucked.

Guardians and Elfmans SM are the only memorable themes for me.

I saw this a while back and while I agree with the video that the MCU soundtracks are extremely generic, there's a problem with this video. They're asking people to hum themes from 3 extremely popular movie franchises that have been around for a long time. Ask those same people to hum the theme from Forrest Gump, it's very memorable, I can hum it, but I bet the average person on the street can't.

Glass Rebel

Ask someone to hum the Inception theme and they'll do the brrrraaa from mind heist.

Ergo, Inception has a crappy soundtrack and Hans Zimmer is a hack.

My very scientific methodology says so.

jett

D-Member
Somehow I'm not surprised Giacchino would do this, after all looking at this track titles you can tell he loves his cheese.

A cover of classic theme doesn't make it good. I don't have faith in this movie, decent composer but generic template everything when it comes to MCU and I expect the score to follow that template.

The only time a marvel movie had a great and memorable soundtrack start to finish was Elfman's SM. Horners was okay, but nothing special. Even Zimmer's SM sucked.

Guardians and Elfmans SM are the only memorable themes for me.

I saw this a while back and while I agree with the video that the MCU soundtracks are extremely generic, there's a problem with this video. They're asking people to hum themes from 3 extremely popular movie franchises that have been around for a long time. Ask those same people to hum the theme from Forrest Gump, it's very memorable, I can hum it, but I bet the average person on the street can't.

In regards to MCU, I think the first Cap score is fairly solid, but if you're gonna go back, then I'd argued both the first two Punisher scores and Howard The Duck (yes) have legit scores I would consider great. X-Men 3 has also a superb epic score, & X-Men: Apocalypse's score was very good as well.

And in regards to the Gump thing, most people wouldn't remember most music outside of the main themes for franchises because they hear it over & over again. The MCU has music but they have intentionally terrible continuity when it comes to keeping their themes around. It's why I find the Every Frame a Painting video to be very flawed.

jb1234

In regards to MCU, I think the first Cap score is fairly solid, but if you're gonna go back, then I'd argued both the first two Punisher scores and Howard The Duck (yes) have legit scores I would consider great. X-Men 3 has also a superb epic score, & X-Men: Apocalypse's score was very good as well.

As far as forgotten MCU films go, Ant-Man also has a pretty solid score.

As far as forgotten MCU films go, Ant-Man also has a pretty solid score.

Well I wouldn't consider Ant-Man forgotten exactly, I mean they are making a sequel.

I wouldn't consider it great, but it has a fun theme & a decent secondary theme as well. Yeah, it's pretty solid. Hopefully Beck doesn't get replaced on the sequel, otherwise the main theme will probably be tossed aside, which would be a bummer.

jb1234

Well I wouldn't consider Ant-Man forgotten exactly, I mean they are making a sequel.

I wouldn't consider it great, but it has a fun theme & a decent secondary theme as well. Yeah, it's pretty solid. Hopefully Beck doesn't get replaced on the sequel, otherwise the main theme will probably be tossed aside, which would be a bummer.

Great? No. But when your competition is Iron Man 1-3, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Thor 2 and so on? :p

(Some film music critics like the Brian Tyler scores but I can't stand him.)

dabig2

Kind of a terrible example because Time is super memorable.

Think his point is that you go up to a random person like in the much posted video you'll find that people typically don't remember shit. I couldn't recall Time for you and I love that movie.

Sheroking

Yeah, in no way at all.

I don't get the praise either. Like compared to the greats like Horner or Goldsmith or Zimmer or Morricone or Williams or Shore or...really anyone, I just never get it. It just sounds like background, never enough to really grab onto, nothing really memorable. I know people praise his Trek score, but ehh....compare that to Wrath of Khan or Motion Picture score, it doesn't even register.

I don't agree with your opinions on the Star Trek score - I think it's the best score in Star Trek film history and one of the most memorable scores in event films over the last ten years - but I will say this for Michael Giacchino: He completely outdid every TV show ever with his LOST score.

It's no Elfman/Raimi theme, that's for sure. I mean it's the classic original theme rearranged, so cool? Don't see how it's mindblowing or anything though.

Great? No. But when your competition is Iron Man 1-3, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Thor 2 and so on? :p

(Some film music critics like the Brian Tyler scores but I can't stand him.)

It's a good score & I prefer it to Tyler's efforts overall, although I do like parts of Iron Man 3 myself.Tyler's music at least when it comes to his blockbuster efforts often feels a bit too RCish for my tastes (though I'm sure that's not entirely his choice).

Ithil

The prequel movies were edited heavily in post production after John Williams made their scores. The most infamous example is the entire last act of The Phantom Menace, where most of his score had to be re-edited and cut to fit the entirely new cut of the movie. For example, the vast majority of Duel of the Fates as written for the movie was cut out of the film, instead the concert-style CD version was used to finish the cut.

The original Duel of the Fates written for the film, for example, is far more intense.

Apparently Williams was pretty thoroughly pissed off at his score getting hacked up. Some folks have thought he put less effort into AOTC's score because he was still annoyed over them cutting up his TPM score.
Then of course they cut the AOTC score he wrote up again anyway.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This video is such a joke, it's terrible that people have given it such credence. Really, the only response here should be to laugh at it.

What's wrong with it? I'm a huge MCU fanboy but the music has never really been a big part of why I like the movies so much, it's pretty much just kinda...there.

Sande

Listened to it once, hated it.

Listened to it again, kinda liked it. Still, nowhere near as good as the original Spider-man movie theme.

This video is such a joke, it's terrible that people have given it such credence. Really, the only response here should be to laugh at it.
What's wrong with it? MCU has pretty boring and unmemorable original soundtracks, and I think the video explores why that is quite well and provides interesting insight to film scores.

Of course, being able to hum from memory isn't the be all, end all of good music, but even beyond that I don't remember ever thinking that the music is particularly good in a Marvel movie, outside of licensed songs.

Ascenion

The problem with Avengers is, that it changed from part one to two and the second one is now the go to theme, while the first one had the more memorable moments.

Eh, Silvestri was bested by Elfman in this instance. New Avengers from Age of Ultron is the definitive theme imo, plus Elfman has elements of Silvestri in there. Also Captain America March is the GOAT MCU theme and it isn't debatable.

Ask someone to hum the Inception theme and they'll do the brrrraaa from mind heist.

Ergo, Inception has a crappy soundtrack and Hans Zimmer is a hack.

My very scientific methodology says so.
Hans Zimmer's decade of ultra memorable scores/soundtracks will be the 90s. I look back at all the movies he scored back then and, holy HELL, mostly ALL of them are filled to the brim with memorable, iconic melodies.

What's wrong with it? MCU has pretty boring and unmemorable original soundtracks, and I think the video explores why that is quite well and provides interesting insight to film scores.

Of course, being able to hum from memory isn't the be all, end all of good music, but even beyond that I don't remember ever thinking that the music is particularly good in a Marvel movie, outside of licensed songs.

My problems with this video are...

It's an incredibly selective amount of people. The average person on the street doesn't remember themes beyond those used in regular film series.

Temp-tracking is not a huge "problem" unless the producers falls in love said temp-track and doesn't let the composer do his own thing with it. Star Wars was temp tracked to hell (Gustav Holst, anyone) so that shouldn't really be a main concern with Marvel music in general.

Marvel's overall music problem, aside from the fact that Hollywood is allergic to memorable themes these days, is that the actual themes are barely re-used within the same series so it's hard to really remember or get a familiarity with said themes, when they have little chance to be developed or built upon, especially when it comes to musical continuity. Imagine if the Salkinds were so pissed about Williams deciding not to return for Superman II, that they asked Ken Thorne to dump his original theme & compose something entirely different. Would Williams theme be as iconic? Maybe not! The MCU is supposed to be a big interconnected film universe, musically it's an absolutely goddamn mess.

I hope this post helps. The problems of the MCU & memorable music can really just go back to modern music in general, however that does not mean it is the only issue with Marvel's use of score music. They dump themes like there's no tomorrow, regardless of whether or not they're actually memorable.

Giacchino gets praise for doing fantastic new themes that pay tribute to old ones. Ignoring the laughable idea that Enterprising Young Men or the new themes in Rogue One are mediocre in any way, Giacchino has done wonderful remixes of old themes like Speed Racer and the 60s Star Trek.

I really love his work with some of the classic Mission: Impossible tv themes as well. Love how he incorporates some of that old stuff into the films.

Anth0ny

Ugh, whoever thinks film music should not be noticed SUCKS. But it's absolutely a prominent thing these days. It's even hitting video games as a result, too.

Music is extremely important to me, so memorable music and themes can boost my feelings for a film BIG TIME. This video does a good job showing how even some of the good themes in the MCU films are played more as background music rather than the focus of a scene, and that's painful to watch.

There is only one scene in the entire MCU, imo, that fucking NAILS IT, and it's right here, and it's a memorable scene and memorable piece of music as a result.

That's pretty sad considering just how many MCU films there have been, and how many opportunities they've had. I can think of one example. And I fucking adore these films and characters.

Top Bottom