• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leonardo DiCaprio - The Greatest Actor of Our Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
isn't this a measure of best agent, not best actor?
Yea, I'm not sure I'd agree with him being the 'greatest/best', but I wouldn't argue with somebody who thought he was as I do think he's pretty damn good.

Having a great agent helps, but he's earned the option for many of these roles because he's a very good actor and its still Leo making the final decision on what he does in the end and its hard to deny he's got good taste. People may rip on Titanic, but I enjoy the movie despite a little bit of cheesiness. The overblown media extravaganza that came along with it was the biggest 'off-putting' aspect of it in my opinion.

his accents in blood diamond and aviator were really bad.

he's a good actor though i would never call him the greatest. I'd put an Actor like Emile Hirsch on a higher level just for his performance in Into The Wild.

jtb

Banned
I remember when people used to always mention Edward Norton in these threads. What ever happened to that guy...

Ed Norton is fucking awesome. 25th hour, american history x, fight club, his bit in kingdom of heaven, all class. but he's never worked with Nolan, so I wouldn't expect to see many mentions. He also hasn't been doing a whole lot after the Incredible Hulk... why he refused to take a pay cut for the avengers, I dunno. Seems like easy enough work for a reasonably massive paycheck.

In fact, I'm honestly surprised Guy Pearce hasn't been mentioned yet... though he and Nolan fell out, so I guess he must not be very talented.

his accents in blood diamond and aviator were really bad.

he's a good actor though i would never call him the greatest. I'd put an Actor like Emile Hirsch on a higher level just for his performance in Into The Wild.

1. I'm the biggest detractor of Leo's accents ever. He is fine in The Aviator.

2. I am a huge Hirsch pimp, yet I wouldn't say he's topped DiCaprio in The Aviator. Hirsch is also brilliant in Milk.

Ed Norton is fucking awesome. 25th hour, american history x, fight club, his bit in kingdom of heaven, all class. but he's never worked with Nolan, so I wouldn't expect to see many mentions. He also hasn't been doing a whole lot after the Incredible Hulk... why he refused to take a pay cut for the avengers, I dunno. Seems like easy enough work for a reasonably massive paycheck.

By many accounts he's a complete asshole to work with. I think this is why he didn't come back for the Avengers moreso than a pay check.

also better actors IMO (sticking to hollywood stars) this generation (not sure where the limits are there), just to create discussion:

9qkOV.jpg

Lol, really?! The guy who since Edward Scissorhands has basically played the same role in every movie. Look at me, I'm so eccentric! I admit, he brought something good to the table with Jack Sparrow in the first PotC but after that he's basically been playing the same role in every Tim Burton film he's in

Lol, really?! The guy who since Edward Scissorhands has basically played the same role in every movie. Look at me, I'm so eccentric! I admit, he brought something good to the table with Jack Sparrow in the first PotC but after that he's basically been playing the same role in every Tim Burton film he's in

Dead Man, The Ninth Gate, that Schumacher movie with Christopher Walken as the bad guy, Ed Wood.

His career's gotten pretty damn boring lately but I think he was great fun in the 90s. Oh and Edward Scissorhands rocks.

Solo

I loves me some Leo. One of my favs, but he REAAAALLLLLYYYYYYYYY needs a new agent. Dude hasn't taken a single interesting or risky role since The Aviator almost a decade ago. His last 5 or 6 films he has played a bunch of really same-y characters. Hopefully Django will be the first step back in the right direction.

Also, The Beach hate? Fuck you!

The-Beach-02-4.jpg

I ain't even mad.

1. I'm the biggest detractor of Leo's accents ever. He is fine in The Aviator.

2. I am a huge Hirsch pimp, yet I wouldn't say he's topped DiCaprio in The Aviator. Hirsch is also brilliant in Milk.
1.maybe bad is the wrong word, maybe annoying?

2.idk, Leo's performances in the aviator during
the mental illness/stuttering/repeating words as well as the full on crazy howard hughes crazy naked scenes
were really good but I on't think they top Hirch's performance in the later scenes of into the wild.

The Chef

In fact, I'm honestly surprised Guy Pearce hasn't been mentioned yet... though he and Nolan fell out, so I guess he must not be very talented.

Ed Norton is a bad ass. Usual Suspects and Fight Club were defining for him. It is weird to think that he just sorta vanished.

Now Guy Pearce in Momento was so amazing. But other than that, the Count of Monte Cristo and the Time Travel movie, I honestly cant think of any other memorable role he has had.

I cant agree with you more. Edward Scissorhands had me crying for weeks when I was a kid. Freakin loved him and loved him in Gilbert Grape too. Not so much anymore.

Dead Man, The Ninth Gate, that Schumacher movie with Christopher Walken as the bad guy, Ed Wood.

His career's gotten pretty damn boring lately but I think he was great fun in the 90s. Oh and Edward Scissorhands rocks.

I liked Edward Scissorhands. I just think that as of recently the movies I've most seen him associated with have him playing the same characters

Chinner

Banned
shutter island and inception is basically the same character, except its like way better written in shutter island and leon owns. dem flashbacks.

UrokeJoe

Now Guy Pearce in Momento was so amazing. But other than that, the Count of Monte Cristo and the Time Travel movie, I honestly cant think of any other memorable role he has had.

LA Confidential

Also see The Proposition. The guy always delivers.

1.maybe bad is the wrong word, maybe annoying?

2.idk, Leo's performances in the aviator during
the mental illness/stuttering/repeating words as well as the full on crazy howard hughes crazy naked scenes
were really good but I on't think they top Hirch's performance in the later scenes of into the wild.

That isn't even the best scene in the movie. The courtroom scene is where Leo nails it.

Not sure if you hate Nolan or the internet's love for Nolan.....

Toby

He can't pull off intense emotional scenes.
Examples:
Shutter Island:
when he finds his kids dead. Totally unbelievable
Inception:
when his wife goes off the ledge. Again, unbelievable

I think Anthony Hopkins would be a better pick for actor of this generation. While it's an obvious choice, I would say Meryl Streep is also a good one.

jtb

Banned
By many accounts he's a complete asshole to work with. I think this is why he didn't come back for the Avengers moreso than a pay check.

Ed Norton's temperment and creative control obsession does ring a bell, I remember reading stories about how he sparred with the director with the edits to American History X. Still, great actor! And he probably won't be missed in the avengers, sadly; can't imagine Ruffalo getting much, if any, face-time.

Ed Norton is a bad ass. Usual Suspects and Fight Club were defining for him. It is weird to think that he just sorta vanished.

As for Guy Pearce roles, I think of LA Confidential. Great film. Which reminds me... Kevin Spacey! I'm a fan. Is he in the Leo generation?

Also, christ. I can't stand Johnny Depp. Pirates and superstardom was the worst fucking thing to happen to his career. That and Tim Burton. Ugh.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The problem with Leo is that he plays the same damn character in every movie.

He's got the same angry gorilla face in every recent release:

Leonardo-DiCaprio-in-Shut-001.jpg

leonardo-dicaprio.jpg

update-more-photos-of-leonardo-dicaprio-as-j-edgar-f9e6d.jpg

I'll never forget Ed Norton's career defining roll in The Usual Suspects. He was epic. He pretty much made the entire movie.

Ed Norton wasn't in The Usual Suspects.

Agreed. Johnny Depp is a phony.

Powercast

lol No way, he plays himself all the time, just like Clooney.
Daniel Day Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bryan Cranston, those are real actors.

Daniel Day Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bryan Cranston, those are real actors.

I like how Break Bad, at least for me, elevated Bryan Cranston from simply "Malcom's dad" to this incredible actor. Those two roles alone show he can play an incredibly large range as they're about as opposite as you can get

Just quietly - and I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, Philip Seymour Hoffman is mightily overrated. He has exactly two good roles in his career. The first being in Boogie Nights and the second being Talented Mr. Ripley. Outside of those roles he is as repetitive and ham-fisted in his roles as the equally overrated Paul Giamatti.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just quietly - and I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, Philip Seymour Hoffman is mightily overrated. He has exactly two good roles in his career. The first being in Boogie Nights and the second being Talented Mr. Ripley. Outside of those roles he is as repetitive in his roles as the equally overrated Paul Giamatti.

In what way is he repetitive, mind you?

UrokeJoe

Just quietly - and I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, Philip Seymour Hoffman is mightily overrated. He has exactly two good roles in his career. The first being in Boogie Nights and the second being Talented Mr. Ripley. Outside of those roles he is as repetitive and ham-fisted in his roles as the equally overrated Paul Giamatti.

Almost Famous, Magnolia?

Capote, that priest vs. nun movie with Meryl Streep. Hell he was the best thing about that shitty MI3 film.

The new PTA film with him and Joaquin will rock the shit.

Salsa

Agreed. Johnny Depp is a phony.

why ignore the list of movies i posted about? you guys need to see more of his non-burton performances.

Sure he's become a bit stale lately after the Jack Sparrow role and is making some money with that (and he's still giving awesome performances, just maybe in the same vein), but if we're taking entire careers as proof instead of just late offerings then the guy has had a fantastic one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom