• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

LordOfChaos

The early visuals had looked suspiciously impressive if it had kept the 60fps. Seems like it's 30 then. Mostly expected, but for Doom the lightning slick 60fps was part of the appeal.

Still, cool for a handheld.

Doom on A10X/A11 would be something!

Jesus, that looks like a totally uncomfortable way to play. The right hand motions don't look natural at all.

The game looks decent, though.

Cleve

That looks fantastic. I'm still not sure if it's enough for me to double dip though.

Have they put out a price for it yet?

I get the bad feeling it's going to be one of those $60 releases when it's $20-30 on every other platform. That'll tank sales, and this looks like it deserves better.

-edit- yep, see it at $60 on amazon :(

30 fps be damned, this will be mine day 1. And damn it looks great on the Switch screen. Even having played this at 144 fps/1440p it looks pretty smooth gameplay wise in these clips.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wow it does look very good... damn just wish it could be 60.

As I said in the other thread, I'll pick it up when it's cheap.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Very impressive work considering this is a year 1 release by a port studio. Not even shitting on Panic Button they did a great job with the port but it's obv. something different of this would have been something I'd themselves had worked on for like 2years.

Im really impressed with those results. Would be awesome if future releases could push for 60fps on titles like 2K18 or TNO... But this result for a game that has to hit the Holiday launch is impressive.

Clive

Looks bloody fantastic. The Switch is a really impressive piece of tech and so much closer to PS4 "console quality" than the Vita ever was to PS3 "console quality". The future is bright for fans of portable gaming. Not double dipping on this game in particular but the Switch will be a serious contender for many of this gen's multiplats for me.

thefro

On my phone, but the Engadget preview said that they were told by Bethesda that most of the game levels weren't optimized for Switch yet. So expect performance improvements there.

I'm really expecting this to be $60 (around $50 with GCU at least), so that I'll be really happy if it comes in lower than that.

Maximo

The ๖ۜBronx;249546384 said:
Sorry, I read the other thread so have already thrown my Switch in a lake and burnt an effigy of Bethesda. Fuck them, unacceptable garbage.

If you have a problem with a thread you can bring it up with a mod, rather then acting just as childish.

It actually looks decent offscreen impressions sound positive.

DonF

yep, thats doom. Great that a good game gets to more platforms. If this is the only way you are going to enjoy it, its fine. If you have a current gen console or capable pc, get it there, both price and performance are better. Unless you have to play it on the go.

deleted

Looks pretty damn amazing. Still bummed about 30fps, but what is here seems solid overall!

Nobody is mentioning anything about Motion controls though.
Was nobody there to answer questions about that or are there none implemented?
Or is there another NDA?

If you have a problem with a thread you can bring it up with a mod, rather then acting just as childish.

I think the "fuck them" is still jokingly aimed at Bethesda as part of the "burning an effigy" bit, not at the thread. At least, that's how I understood the post.

hiim_haz

Banned
Wow, it looks way better than I thought it would on the Switch.

Might have to double dip, portable Doom would be awesome.

Zemm

The game looks painful to play with those short joycon sticks in the gamesport video, those things are not made for shooters that's for sure. Once he switched to the gamepad it was a night and day difference.

Wait, that's 30fps?

Y'all, sure cause that look damn good (i.e. Fast).

These reactions are bizarre and surprising to me. Plenty of high performance games are still 30 fps. Definitely not as smooth as 60, but I feel low framerate only becomes noticeable when you start dipping into the 20s

deleted

no motion controls :(

Where did you read/see that?

That is incredibly disappointing. Even more than 60fps for me. That would be the one thing to make Doom shine on the Switch. Played it a bit through the Steam Link with a Steam Controller last year and motion controls really made that version work for me aside from KB/M.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Post-processing does a great job of making the experience look smooth. Pretty impressive feat they've accomplished getting this game on the Switch.

Wondering what kind of performance boost docking may give.

jett

D-Member
It looks like Gamespot's footage was recorded at 24fps. lol.

It looks really good, really faithful.

Maximo

I think the "fuck them" is still jokingly aimed at Bethesda as part of the "burning an effigy" bit, not at the thread. At least, that's how I understood the post.

Ahh fair enough then.

Im still holding out fora third party to bring out third party joycons/controller case that is more comfortable to play something like Doom..and a proper dpad...

Mr-Joker

Banned
no motion controls :(

That's kinda lame as I was going to get the game under the assumption that motion control would be in the game as I suck at FPS with the stick. :(

Not sure if I will get it or not but it would largely depend on the price as it's much cheaper on the PS4.

Did anyone else catch the bit at the end of the GameExplain video where they said there are no Switch specific features such as motion controls currently planned for this version? I really hope they add them in before the final release.

Top Bottom