• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

Catherine

GAF Said:

I've been playing it all afternoon and I now have all Golds on every stage but the last one on Normal!
I am really, really engrossed by this game.

I Said:

It's basically Q*Bert. In reverse. With 20 minute long cut scenes between every level.

Minecraft

GAF Said:

After 10 hours of digging, crafting and surviving, this is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I rarely play games on PC but damn, this is so addictive, and there are so many things to do... one more block

I Said:

It's lego with all the best parts missing. And random assholes can appear and destroy all your work.

Xenoblade

GAF Said:

One of the best RPGs I've ever played.
I know I'm going to love Xenoblade just by the first 15 minutes I got to play so far. Time to dig in some more.
Ahhhh this game is so good. MonolithSoft is still amazing.

I Said:

It's probably a more linear gaming experience than Pong. Awesome game if you like exploring empty walls.

Anybody else been suckered into games that just don't live up to the proclamations of awesomeness on here?

Does The Wire count?

GAF have been pretty good to me with video games, Vanquish wasn't that great, but it was still a nice game.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Nier was one of the ones that dissapointed me, so much hype and stuff in the OT and i got the game and got bored lol.

idwl

Red Steel 2 , DKCR (hate shaking wiimote) , Scribblenauts , TWEWY and xenoblade - Mostly cause I haven't played wii forever and it just looked so ugly. Might replay it one day

udivision

Typically, i don't buy games that I might not like.

I've only bought 1 game on GAF recommendations (MHTri) and it's my most played game this gen.

qq more

Minecraft

GAF Said:

After 10 hours of digging, crafting and surviving, this is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I rarely play games on PC but damn, this is so addictive, and there are so many things to do... one more block

I Said:

It's lego with all the best parts missing. And random assholes can appear and destroy all your work.
What best part is missing?

Demon's Souls
Was said to have real "deep" combat mechanics, and the atmosphere was amazing, etc. Combat bored me to tears to be honest...and aesthetically the world felt extremely bland.

Bayonetta (no I'm not just trolling lol)
The combat was actually pretty fun, but everything else (cheesy music, terrible VO, annoying as hell characters) overshadowed the combat for me. I played for a few hours and stopped.

Fallout 3
I enjoyed Oblivion but couldn't bring myself to play more than a couple hours of this. Have no idea why, just really got bored.

Durante

This only really happened to me with Blue Dragon.

Most of the time when I buy something at least partially because of GAF it turns out awesome (Nier, Alpha Protocol, Corpse Party, Legend of Grimrock).

Riposte

This thread's basic purpose is to tell people popular games suck. Do we really hold any delusions that this is going to be a very healthy discussion?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Minecraft; as it's just a very tedious level editor. Although the very first night in the game was fun. After that it's too safe.

Saints Row The Third. Outside of a few missions the game was very underwhelming.

Zelda: Skyward Sword. This one is just straight up boring. I love the aesthetics of the game. The gameplay was too cumbersome and the missing production values you're expecting from a game nowadays were missing. (Voiced main protagonist, random voiced chatter in the village. Stuff like that.)

The Witcher 2. I expected the visually most pleasing game in the world as that is how it was sold to me in the various threads about next-gen. What I found was high quality textures. Relatively high quality polygons. A bad animation system. Horrible lip-syncing and bad level geometry.

Anteater

Usually happens when a game doesn't have a demo, so it's hard to tell whether you'd like it or not, Bayonetta has a demo that was a pretty well indication of what the full game is like though, except full game has a lot more variety of things to unlock, but it's pretty easy to tell whether you would like it or not, same goes to Vanquish, since they're not RPGs.

I think I'm usually burnt with open world games, I liked Skyrim and some of the gta games, but I've come to a conclusion I just don't like them all that much unless something really pulls me in, I especially stay away from games with keywords such as "you have to immerse yourself" in order to enjoy it, or "it gets REALLY good towards the end", which usually means a 50/50 chance I won't like them.

I don't listen to this "gaf guy" though, there are enough different opinions on this site to give you a better idea what a game is like, anyone would've told you Minecraft is almost like a lego game, and I enjoy Minecraft a lot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gaf made me think Suikoden 3 was good as game. The only good parts were the intro, and the story. Just youtube the intro again, and read the Manga.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Scribblenauts.

"Game of the forever" my ass.
But... But... I'm in that game!

I do love me some title screen scribblenauts.

Nyx

Demon's Souls
Was said to have real "deep" combat mechanics, and the atmosphere was amazing, etc. Combat bored me to tears to be honest...and aesthetically the world felt extremely bland.

Same here, played the game for 3-4 hours, then sold it.

Bayonetta. Didn't enjoy it at all and GAF always pretends it's the best thing ever. Same goes for Vanquish. Bought hard into the hype for that too.

Halo 1 and 2

Gaf said:
All kinds of praise.

I thought:
It's a boring b-tier shooter with dumb enemy design and a terrible story. Quake 4 was better than this.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
your favourite game sucks thread #3344345

all games I bought following GAF's recommendation were good in some way. No exceptions.

I don't buy games based on hype or recommendations but there have been alot of games I disliked that consequently were hyped up by gaf.

Some of the worst offenders for me were probably :

Skyrim - Bland world and story with pretty bad combat left me bored enough to just not really want to play it. Other games that fall in this same category for me were oblivion, fallout 3 and new vegas, Mass effect series and Red Dead redemption.

Anything with DoTA like gameplay - Just can't get into them, gameplay isn't fun for me and theres no actual storyline or anything to back it up.

I guess that's pretty much my entire list :l I'm usually pretty happy with any games I purchase and although I wouldn't say the games I mentioned are bad by any means they just weren't for me.

Mzo

Most of the recommended games so far are excellent. Seems to be more of a problem with the individual. Sometimes people don't like something, even if it's well made.

NBtoaster

I've seen lots of people here compare Saint's Row 3 with Just Cause 2, and I bought it on that basis.

Really, it's nothing like Just Cause 2.

Saints Row The Third

Average as hell. Every mission was basically this - take a really wacky far-out concept, and then make it's actual execution as pedestrian as possible. Case in point - the tiger in the car mission. People were really hyping that up as being krrrrrazy!, but the animal is actually pretty docile and only takes a limp swipe at you now and then, which makes you lose control of the car for a whole second. Yeah, that was really bonkers.

Wasn't remotely funny either.

Top Bottom