• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

Do we know if the Super Duper Graphics pack is coming to Switch as well?

AFAIK the super duper stuff is xbox one and PC exclusive.

but they said something about other graphical enhancements that iOS and other devices will get. if they switch will get them...I don't know.

the Super Duper Graphics pack is coming to Switch

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-x-is-impressive-but-doesn-t-seem-essential-1796023985

Here's the catch: the Super Duper Graphics pack is also coming to lots of other platforms, including Xbox One S, PC and Switch, even mobile (unclear if/when it's coming to PS4), basically everything that'll be running the game on the new Bedrock Engine. ”It will be anywhere that you can play Minecraft in the new version," Egbert said. ”It will improve any screen on which you play, but the best experience will be on Xbox One X." This is the theme: what you can play on Xbox One X is playable elsewhere, but, short of a high-end PC, it will simply look best on the X.

deadfolk

Still, this doesn't make any sense. After all, the announcement says infinite world sizes.

A iPad 4 16GB model has less storage (and also much less RAM) than a vanilla Switch. And the storage on the Switch is dependent on the running microSD configuration.

Also, infinite world sizes doesn't necessarily mean huge save files, since Minecraft world generation are based on random seeds. Only the changed parts of a world needs to be saved. On the PC version, the user changes are saved to the "region" subfolder. Deleting that folder will reset the world and remove any changes made by the player:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/The_Overworld#Technical_information

At any rate, it's pretty obvious that infinite worlds don't have infinite save file sizes.

Agreed, but obviously, the larger the world, the larger the potential file size. I mean, what are they going to do if you run out of space? Make the world read-only?

They are not limiting it for arbitrary reasons. As to your point about an iPad potentially having less storage than Switch - yes, that's true. But Apple do not place restrictions on the amount of storage a single app can consume.

With the announcement specifying infinite world sizes, the possibilities I see are:

1) Not on Switch
2) They got Nintendo to relax the restrictions on storage (maybe a waiver)
3) They are dependent on an upcoming OS update to allow storage on SD card
4) Nintendo actually don't have a restriction, but they didn't bother with infinite worlds already because they knew the update was coming
5) As someone suggested earlier, infinite worlds could be online-only and streamed to the Switch. No need to store locally.

There could be others I haven't thought of.

Ninja Dom

As I build more buildings I'm noticing that more blocks in the terrain are disappearing. More holes and drops are appearing all over the world.

Why is that? Because I'm simply moving blocks from one location to my building so why do more blocks need to disappear?

deadfolk

How does it work on Ios/android ?

Dunno - fair point. But there they don't have the same level of scrutiny from the platform holders, so they can probably just do what they like.

As I build more buildings I'm noticing that more blocks in the terrain are disappearing. More holes and drops are appearing all over the world.

Why is that? Because I'm simply moving blocks from one location to my building so why do more blocks need to disappear?

That's weird. Are you sure it's not mob griefing? e.g. Creepers exploding or Endermen shuffling stuff around.

Are those caves sand or gravel, they fall down when one block is removed. If not it can only be creepers or endermen

Ninja Dom

Just noticed in the latest update that touchscreen inventory management and crafting works.

Has it always been there and I missed it?

jariw

I'm loving the game (4th time I've bought it haha). They need to add the observer block for us redstone addicts.

Yes, observer blocks added in the latest update. And command block support will most likely be added to the console versions when the bedrock codebase support is available.

Just noticed in the latest update that touchscreen inventory management and crafting works.

Has it always been there and I missed it?

According to reviews, inventory management didn't have touchscreen support in the release version in May, only crafting:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/15/minec...dition-review-worth-digging-up-again-6637395/

My kid would get semi-frequent hardlocks with Minecraft on the Wii U - is there any sort of problem like that with the switch version? It would happen with the lego games too, so maybe more of a Wii U end problem than the game.

jariw

My kid would get semi-frequent hardlocks with Minecraft on the Wii U - is there any sort of problem like that with the switch version? It would happen with the lego games too, so many more of a Wii U end problem than the game.

I agree with the Wii U version and frequent hard freezes (although some early game updates actually seemed free from freezes, later ones that we played froze pretty bad).

The Switch version of Minecraft runs without any such issues! Very solid version IMO, and really good updates so far.

I agree with the Wii U version and frequent hard freezes (although some early game updates actually seemed free from freezes, later ones that we played froze pretty bad).

The Switch version of Minecraft runs without any such issues! Very solid version IMO, and really good updates so far.

Thanks very much for that (and for parsing through my typos haha) - that's great to hear! :)

jariw

If you have Minecraft and want to play a local multiplayer game, make sure to checkout the new mini game "Glide", that was added in of the latest updates. Surprisingly good.

Niwa

If you have Minecraft and want to play a local multiplayer game, make sure to checkout the new mini game "Glide", that was added in of the latest updates. Surprisingly good.

Why only two maps though? I love that mode!

MAX PAYMENT

First time minecrafter.

I've built a small house and have a fence with some animals and a small crop.

What do I do now in survival mode?

Robin64

First time minecrafter.

I've built a small house and have a fence with some animals and a small crop.

What do I do now in survival mode?

My recommendation? Fishing.

Craft yourself a rod, find a pond, and fish. It sounds silly, but the reason is you will be fishing up some amazing things. For example, books like this:

DCDJcrlU0AAa9MR.jpg

Once you have a Mending book, make a mine and dig down to around layer 10. Then strip-mine and find diamonds. Use those diamonds to make a mining pick, then apply the Mending enchant to it using an anvil. You'll be set for life.

But seriously, I cannot stress how good fishing is. I've found bows from there with loads of enchants on, a whole swathe of different enchanting books, and you get a boatload of exp.

Work your way up to having a rod that has Lure 3, Luck of the Sea, and Mending on.

Posted this in the wrong thread!

Still debating whether I should go physical or digital for Minecraft on the Switch. It would be my first time playing Minecraft of any kind since the original beta days on the computer.

Sh0k

Are there any plans for adding the FOV adjuster that's in the PC version? Want to purchase the Switch version but the set FOV makes me dizzy either dock or portable.

WilGrieve

Craft yourself a rod, find a pond, and fish. It sounds silly, but the reason is you will be fishing up some amazing things. For example, books like this:

Once you have a Mending book, make a mine and dig down to around layer 10. Then strip-mine and find diamonds. Use those diamonds to make a mining pick, then apply the Mending enchant to it using an anvil. You'll be set for life.

But seriously, I cannot stress how good fishing is. I've found bows from there with loads of enchants on, a whole swathe of different enchanting books, and you get a boatload of exp.

Work your way up to having a rod that has Lure 3, Luck of the Sea, and Mending on.

Plus you can build a semi-AFK fishing machine for really cheap, even one that spits more fishing rods into your hands as you AFK

OmegaFax

It looks like the patch went live.

Edit:

Before:

DFoJfxbU0AMhM0O.jpg:large

After:

DFoJnGGUMAAx-h5.jpg:large

Saved in the same location anticipating the update today. I'm not sure why the image is at a slightly different angle (maybe the resolution bump slightly tweaked the FOV?)

It's the native capture function on the Switch but you can see Lakitu's cloud in the background is sharper than before.

Edit 2:

It's worth noting that the draw distance hasn't changed in either handheld or docked mode. The framerate feels like it's still at 60fps without any drops flying around the Mario themed map. It'll be interesting to see what Digital Foundry finds out if/when they do another analysis.

Ninja Dom

I'm having problems.

The update keeps failing and there is an 'x' on my Minecraft icon on my Switch home screen.

I have deleted Minecraft but keep getting an error when I go back to re-download.

Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, french GAFfer here. Got the game but have zero of my budies to play with.

Looking for a Minecraft companion, could use Discord. I'm very sympa !

Ninja Dom

I'm having problems.

The update keeps failing and there is an 'x' on my Minecraft icon on my Switch home screen.

I have deleted Minecraft but keep getting an error when I go back to re-download.

Any ideas?

Fixed it by removing the memory card and re-downloading to system memory.

rc213

This sounds interesting, What qualifies as a pond you can fish? What do you mean you'll be set for life?

nubbe

The loading screen box says Minecraft for Switch has broken many records, whats that?

Also nice to finally have Fallout on Switch!

Robin64

This sounds interesting, What qualifies as a pond you can fish? What do you mean you'll be set for life?

Just a couple of blocks of water is enough. In my pic, you can see I am just fishing in the town square's fountain that I made.

By set for life, I mean that once you have made that pick with rare materials, the Mending should help to stop it ever breaking. As long as you earn experience with it equipped, such as finding ore, it will heal itself.

Sarcasm

I can't see the photo =(

Did you use imgur? If so that is most likely why. Care to rehost? On abload.de maybe? I don't see the link in quote either.

Robin64

I can't see the photo =(

Did you use imgur? If so that is most likely why. Care to rehost? On abload.de maybe? I don't see the link in quote either.

I linked to a pic I put on Twitter, cos that's where our bloody Switch images go now, annoyingly. Miiverse was happy to display images on this forum, but not Twitter, nooo. Thanks Nintendo. ;)

It's not much anyway, just this:

Sarcasm

I linked to a pic I put on Twitter, cos that's where our bloody Switch images go now, annoyingly. Miiverse was happy to display images on this forum, but not Twitter, nooo. Thanks Nintendo. ;)

It's not much anyway, just this:

Oh man I really need to play non-modded MC. Seems more hardcore.

Will the switch and W10 version be cross save?

Robin64

Oh man I really need to play non-modded MC. Seems more hardcore.

Will the switch and W10 version be cross save?

As long as you play on Realms. If you play locally, that save will be locked to the machine you play on, but using a Realm you can play it from any device in the Better Together update.

Top Bottom