• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: God of War: From PS2 to PS4 A god amongst Playstation returns

Great video, really interesting discussion of the tech developments along with a great, more in-depth discussion of the newest God of War game!

I just finished GOW3, and I have to say what struck me is the low quality textures on non-important characters. Random people and even some gods look rather bad (Hera and Aphrodite, for example) while Kratos looks great, and for example Hefaistos does as well. The new God of War seems much more consistent in that regard, at least from what we've seen so far.

It's on running on a machine with 512mb of RAM..i'll cut SSM some slack on that...

Wake me up when he's killing God's from modern religions. Sucks that we'll have to probably wait a few centuries until society as a whole is comfortable with something like that.

Taoists have no problem with taoists gods getting beat up...

Source 1: Journey to the West.

Source 2: Came from Taoist family in singapore

NXGamer

@ NXGamer great vide. Keep the good work.
Small correction: GOW3 debut wasn't in 2009 but at the end of 2008 at VGA we got a small early rushed teaser.

GOW2 was also a technical achievement for PS2 at that time, not just for the pure graphics and details but also it had a secret mode you have to unlock by pressing certain buttons at the title screen which unlocks a HD mode on PS2, yes on PS2, but with sacrificing FPS.

Since GOW3, the series had great muscle deformations and flexes, either nose or biceps or chest etc... The cyclops had jiggly bellies too and mush more. Since the game doesn't use LOD, you can still see Kratos' muscles flex even from far away camera point when a titan was holding him and looking like an ant.
Guts and intestines were modeled inside enemies and they were jiggling inside of them until you cut their bellies and expose them.

I don't think GOW on PS4 uses the same old but refined engine from the previous installments but rather a new engine.

Oh you stole some of my thunder for my retroperspective article lol.

In regards to the increased resolution mode I think it just increased resolution to match the display type, but this snd much more I will cover in a detailed look. This wad more a high level history over some sailient points, and ad you say my much more to cover in the new game, but I am trying to keep my videos tighter and this means less bombarding but more examples so you can see more, such as the bounce light from the armour on the wall behind the elf like warrior.

Thanks
Someone shop a beard on this, lol

Etch, draw that man in a chicken suit! It was all I could think of when I read your post.
Final answer?

~
Oh...can I phone a friend :)
Would have liked much more on God of War III instead of time spent on PSP Remasters as it's still to this day one of the most ridiculous showcases of hardware I've ever seen, especially the first hour.

Overall still a good video though. Keep up the good work NX!

Thanks, and yes I will have more in a later retrospective of the series, like my others they ate very in-depth and take time, this was more a high level overview. You can see more of that incredible game in my analysis of the PS3 vs PS4 remaster when it launched though, still an incredible, incredible game.

Wake me up when he's killing God's from modern religions. Sucks that we'll have to probably wait a few centuries until society as a whole is comfortable with something like that.

That is a controversial statement, I am sure Kratos would be game, may not others.

NX, do you think this is still the same Kinetica engine SSM have used since day 1?

I saw an interesting video from a digital dragons conference where Guerilla's lead tech guy said they have been using the same engine for 20 years and will never change it but simply keep adding more tools, techniques, pipelines etc

NXGamer

OléGunner;244418295 said:
NX, do you think this is still the same Kinetica engine SSM have used since day 1?

I saw an interesting video from a digital dragons conference where Guerilla's lead tech guy said they have been using the same engine for 20 years and will never change it but simply keep adding more tools, techniques, pipelines etc

It is not always viable (I think) to rewrite or recreate something as all encompassing and mammoth as a game engine. Many parts will be modular and thus make it possible to rewrite/improve functions, classes etc without the need to start from scratch which is costly.

My feeling is, yes it is the same engine but it had been significantly improved to the point that it will bare little shared code between its PS2 versions and now. This is the modern age of engines being prolific, that is why we see so many names for them. I do think that Guerrila's engine will be used more widely within WWS for cost, licence, support and shared techniques though aside the other 2 biggest hitters in SSM & ND I would imagine it will become widely used, just like I said and did happen EA and frostbite, managing a repository of engine code, version control, Qc snd such is a huge portion of cost and resource.

Zedark

It's on running on a machine with 512mb of RAM..i'll cut SSM some slack on that...
Sure, I get that. The game is a technical marvel despite the inconsistency. I just wanted to note how well the new God of War seems to improve on this aspect, as it really is a big improvement.

It is not always viable (I think) to rewrite or recreate something as all encompassing and mammoth as a game engine. Many parts will be modular and thus make it possible to rewrite/improve functions, classes etc without the need to start from scratch which is costly.

My feeling is, yes it is the same engine but it had been significantly improved to the point that it will bare little shared code between its PS2 versions and now. This is the modern age of engines being prolific, that is why we see so many names for them. I do think that Guerrila's engine will be used more widely within WWS for cost, licence, support and shared techniques though aside the other 2 biggest hitters in SSM & ND I would imagine it will become widely used, just like I said and did happen EA and frostbite, managing a repository of engine code, version control, Qc snd such is a huge portion of cost and resource.

Interesting you think GG's Deicma engine will see wider adoption within WWS, it does seem very versatile powering the likes of KZ, Horizon and now Death Stranding.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and thoughts!

NXGamer

OléGunner;244419351 said:
Interesting you think GG's Deicma engine will see wider adoption within WWS, it does seem very versatile powering the likes of KZ, Horizon and now Death Stranding.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and thoughts!
You are more than welcome, I of course could ve wholly wrong and these are just my options/actions on what I would do.

Top Bottom