• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best novels in the new Star Wars EU?

Ottaro

Please help me pass the time until The Last Jedi comes out, gaf. I'm not totally sure what is worth reading in the new expanded EU, but I am itching to spend some more time in this universe.

Any recommendations from you kind folks?

Lost stars was really good. Battlefront was good. Aftermath Trilogy was very up and down but generally enjoyable.

Havent read Leia, Phasma, Thrawn, or Battlefront 2 yet. But the rest? Not a fan.

I'm listening to Thrawn right now, and I'm enjoying it. Not too far in, though.

I quite liked the Phasma book. Kind of like an old pulp sci-fi novel with the Star Wars label on it.

Lords of the Sith was pretty good. Lets you understand the relationship between Vader and Palpatine a little better. The main character is also Cham Syndulla, Hera's father from the Rebels show.

sphagnum

Banned
TOP TIER
Servants of the Empire series
Battlefront: Twilight Company
Bloodline

GREAT TIER
Catalyst
Tarkin
A New Dawn
Leia: Princess of Alderaan
Thrawn
Guardians of the Whills
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empire's End
Lost Stars

GOOD TIER
From A Certain Point of View
Smuggler's Run
The Weapon of a Jedi
Moving Target
Phasma
Before the Awakening

OK TIER
Dark Disciple
Ahsoka
Adventures in Wild Space series
Lords of the Sith
Ezra's Gamble
Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
Aftermath
Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Join the Resistance

AVOID
Heir to the Jedi
Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran

Faiz

TOP TIER
Servants of the Empire series
Battlefront: Twilight Company
Bloodline

GREAT TIER
Catalyst
Tarkin
A New Dawn
Leia: Princess of Alderaan
Thrawn
Guardians of the Whills
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empire's End
Lost Stars

GOOD TIER
From A Certain Point of View
Smuggler's Run
The Weapon of a Jedi
Moving Target
Phasma
Before the Awakening

OK TIER
Dark Disciple
Ahsoka
Adventures in Wild Space series
Lords of the Sith
Ezra's Gamble
Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
Aftermath
Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Join the Resistance

AVOID
Heir to the Jedi
Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran

I'm gob smacked that we are only a few years into the new EU and it's already so large. im guessing this isn't even the complete list?

shira

Thraw. . .

new expanded EU

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

I'm listening to Thrawn right now, and I'm enjoying it. Not too far in, though.

I quite liked the Phasma book. Kind of like an old pulp sci-fi novel with the Star Wars label on it.

I'm halfway through the second Thrawn book (listening as well). Decent stories and enjoyable though nothing amazing IMO so far.

Surfinn

I LOVED all the short story type books:

Before the Awakening (seriously, if you have any love for TFA, read this book)
Smuggler's Run is up next for me
Moving Target was awesome
The Weapon of a Jedi is great so far

Lost Stars might as well have been called The Cheese Awakens

Voidwolf

Tarkin is pretty great. I'm currently reading Lords of the Sith and it's good too but unfortunately doesn't focus on Vader and the Emperor as much as you'd expect. When the spotlight is on them, however, it's fascinating to read.

I keep trying to read them, and I keep finding them bad. Trying Bloodline right now as people seem to love it, and it's...okay.
A New Dawn was terrible.
Oh yeah, reading From a Certain Point of View, and it's fine. It's fun, but yeah, I just wish tie-in fiction were better written.

CS_Dan

Thrawn, Lost Stars, Bloodline and Leia are all great.
I enjoyed Catalyst a lot too, but many would likely find it boring.
Edit: Am currently half way through A Certain Point of View and am really enjoying it.

I'm finishing up Phasma now and it's pretty great. The beginning and end are solid but the middle kind of drags it's ass. Still recommend it though.

I enjoyed Catalyst quite a bit.

I thought Aftermath was hot trash.

Battlefront Twilight Company was cool but I fell off of it. I wanna pick it back up soon.

Heir to the Jedi was ok but again I fell off of it. Not sure when I'll pick it back up.

I read half of Lost Stars and thought it was good, but not my kind of book. It's a teenage love story in space.

I have Lords of the Sith on my shelf that I haven't even started yet. It looks cool though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I enjoyed Lost Stars and Lords of the Sith. I'll have to check out some of the others listed.

Thrawn is an absolute must read. It's fantastic and shows a new side to the Empire and the people in it. Plus, there's a sequel on the way, so you'd have that to look forward to as well!

Afrocious

Awesome thread. I've read Thrawn and enjoyed it.

Currently reading Ahsoka. It's good, but I put it down a few months ago and now I'm picking it back up. Thrawn had an interesting mystery going on for it along with two good protagonists. Ahsoka herself in her namesake book is decent, but I feel the story is quite predictable and simply hyping itself up for when she makes her new lightsabers.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've read Lord of the Sith, Lost Stars and Battlefront. All were fine enough but there wasn't any that were truly great. If 5/10 is average then I'd say they were all 6/10 kind of quality. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a really good 'must read' book in the the new EU.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
good choice. only one i've read in the new EU, but zahn's still got it.

I've loved Zahn since forever. I had no idea he had this book out. Or maybe I just forgot. Looking forward to reading it next.

Phasma was the only one I read so far and I finished it a few weeks ago. It was pretty decent overall. I'd definitely recommend it, if you are at all interested in Phasma as a character.

smisk

It's pretty amazing how quickly they're coming out with stuff. I'm in the middle of Thrawn and still have Phasma, FACPOV, Twilight Company and more...
Overall Lost Stars is probably my favorite, though it's probably not for everyone.

Pizza

Tarkin was slow but really damn cool

Battlefront 2 was pretty great

Phasma is literally one of my favorite books ever.

Death Troopers is rad! technically an EU book, but enough from it has been referenced in various places that it happened in my personal headcanon until another piece of media directly contradicts it

I’ve read some of the comics, too! The first three books of Star Wars were really great, and Vader’s first two books (and Vader Down) were crazy fun reads. Darth Maul was cute, but only ok. Probably the weakest thing so far.

I’ve got Lords of the Sith, Catalyst, and the aftermath trilogy up next

smisk

I’ve read some of the comics, too! The first three books of Star Wars were really great, and Vader’s first two books (and Vader Down) were crazy fun reads. Darth Maul was cute, but only ok. Probably the weakest thing so far.

The Aphra and Poe Dameron comics are great too!

sphagnum

Banned
By chance, are there any books (besides Before the Awakening) that feature Rey as a character?

No, they've been staying away from the ST era for the most part. There's Rey's Survival Guide but it's an in-universe reference book, not a novel.

The first two issues of Star Wars Adventures and a couple of the episodes in Forces of Destiny focus on her though.

Ivellios

My favorite by a longshot is Darth Bane trilogy, it was this novel that got me hooked on the SW universe, second is Darth Plagueis novel.

Meowster

Bloodline is the best. I loved how it actually gave us some universe building politics with Leia at the center of it all.

Top Bottom