• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix’s Death Note |OT| Hopefully this anime adaptation doe not take the L

death-note.jpg

Title: Death Note
Director: Adam Wingard
Production: Vertigo Entertainment
Distributor: Netflix
Release Date: August 25th, 2017
Length: 1h 41min

Based on the manga of the same name. A young man comes to possess a supernatural notebook, the Death Note, that grants him the power to kill any person simply by writing down their name on the pages. He then decides to use the notebook to kill criminals and change the world, but an enigmatic detective attempts to track him down and end his reign of terror.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE
Main Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxNaSIB_WI
Clip - Light meets Ryuk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzvJMmH9x0

I can't think of anime live action movie based on manga or anime that is actually truly worth it. Death Note remains one of my favorite anime along with FMABH and I can only imagine this movie won't do a thing for me. I guess I'll give it a chance though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
America Note

PixelatedBookake

What happens if you write a Shinigami's name in the Death Note? Also, isn't there that funny rule that if you spell someone's name wrong in the Death Note 7 times it kills you?

Aiii

So not worth it
Mia instead of Misa sucks though, completely unnecessary change.

What happens if you write a Shinigami's name in the Death Note? Also, isn't there that funny rule that if you spell someone's name wrong in the Death Note 7 times it kills you?

Nothing, the Death Note kills humans (older than 2 years), not shinigami.

As far as I know if you write an incorrect name or don't visualize the correct person with the name, the person does not die. There are no other consequences.

Korigama

I don't remember if it was ever specified what would happen if someone tried to write a Shinigami's name. As for the other thing, I recalled it being a case of it no longer working on that person if their name was misspelled enough times.

EDIT: Ah, never mind. Seems it was both (a note that becomes useless if misspelled four times accidentally, or kills the user if done the same amount on purpose).

For the first Q:nothing
For the second:Yes. But its 3 chances, of you mispell a 4th that person becomes immune to the death note and you die.

Wow, that thread title works on multiple levels.

It was originally going to be Netflix’s Death Note |OT| *Writes Sense8 and The Get Down in notebook* after Netflix very publicly cancelled those shows. I decided against it since I didn't want the thread to derail into a discussion of that and not the film.

aravuus

Lmao wat

This weekend is going to rock

I'm so glad I've missed literally everything related to this before this moment

Tunahead

All this rules talk suddenly made me realize that the Death Note doesn't really make any sense. The Death Note rules are supposedly rigid and don't leave things open to interpretation, but they're based around names that are completely arbitrary. What if you realize someone's coming after you with a Death Note and have your name legally changed? Which of your names will kill you? If only one of them counts, why? Is it the one your parents gave you? What if you were orphaned at childbirth? Is it the one the law says is now your name? Why would the Death Note obey the law when its entire premise is illegal? Does this affect the ability to see people's names by sacrificing half your lifespan? Is it possible to see the wrong name? If someone changes their name and the Death Note would accept either name, does it show both names one after the other? What if you see those names and think they're just one very long name? Would that still work, or would the Death Note reject it? What if you're crossing over a time zone while you feed the Mogwai?

I think we're going to get a sequel. The director Adam Wingard has talked about doing it after shooting Godzilla vs Kong and I think the film will be the highest watched Netflix original film they have made thus far therefore showing a market demand for one.

Plus Netflix has talked about building movie franchises on their platform.

Alastor3

It's a great great cast but the only one im not sure is Kira (i don't like the name Light) in the trailer he just don't feel.... threatening... or intelligent really.

I think we're going to get a sequel. The director Adam Wingard has talked about doing it after shooting Godzilla vs Kong and I think the film will be the highest watched Netflix original film they have made thus far therefore showing a market demand for one.

Plus Netflix has talked about building movie franchises on their platform.

Wingard has already said that this is an origin story-so I think a sequel is pretty likely.

Had no idea. Cool! Here's hoping the sequel is a 10-episode TV series instead of another movie.

Synth

All this rules talk suddenly made me realize that the Death Note doesn't really make any sense. The Death Note rules are supposedly rigid and don't leave things open to interpretation, but they're based around names that are completely arbitrary. What if you realize someone's coming after you with a Death Note and have your name legally changed? Which of your names will kill you? If only one of them counts, why? Is it the one your parents gave you? What if you were orphaned at childbirth? Is it the one the law says is now your name? Why would the Death Note obey the law when its entire premise is illegal? Does this affect the ability to see people's names by sacrificing half your lifespan? Is it possible to see the wrong name? If someone changes their name and the Death Note would accept either name, does it show both names one after the other? What if you see those names and think they're just one very long name? Would that still work, or would the Death Note reject it? What if you're crossing over a time zone while you feed the Mogwai?

Seems to me like it'd be a simple case of it taking your birth name, or basically the name you were first given. So yes, if you were aware of what the Death Note was and how it worked, legally changing your name would probably be a very good idea.

It probably wouldn't save you from someone like Light though I'd imagine, who would likely consider the possibility of you having changed you name legally. It wouldn't be very difficult to obtain your birth name if your current legal name is known. You'd pretty much be banking on the possibility of having become immune to it by then.

Montresor

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but is there any reason that there doesn't seem to be a white-washing backlash towards this movie, compared to Ghost In The Shell?

The trailer looked really neat. I've never watched the Death Note anime but I'll check out this movie + possibly the anime too.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
In for Dafoe. Hopefully it's decent. Death Note is one of the few Japanese animes I have enjoyed.

PixelatedBookake

I would think its the name you except as your name. I don't think the law has anything to do with it. That's why I think anime spoilers
L's name was L Lawliet, because that was the name he accepted as his name. He probably had a real one at some point.

Realeza

Banned
I'm probably going to regret asking this, but is there any reason that there doesn't seem to be a white-washing backlash towards this movie, compared to Ghost In The Shell?

The trailer looked really neat. I've never watched the Death Note anime but I'll check out this movie + possibly the anime too.

Lmao, what? There were tons of people pretending to be offended by "white-washing".

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)

It's set in the US.

Everyone shit themselves over L being black instead.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

It has been discussed, for sure. I'm in the camp that is completely okay with them doing an American Death Note. There is already a Japanese DN movie for those who want that, and it's pretty good. They can coexist.

Laieon

Excited for this. At the very worst I expect it to be B movie tier and those are always fun to grab a few beers and watch with friends.

or intelligent really.

To be honest, that fits pretty well imo. I don't think Light was every as intelligent as he believed he was.

Nightbird

Contrary to the original, it's not set in Japan, but in Seattle.

I for one am one of the few people who are excited for this one

SeppOCE

I like watching differenr variations of death note. Light up the new world was a good way for Japan to continue the franchise so I hope this movie is a good way for the US to do it too.

Tunahead

Ghost in the Shell 2017 is weird and gross in a couple of ways that Death Note 2017 isn't.

1) Scarlett Johansson plays Motoko Kusanagi. Nat Wolff doesn't play Light Yagami, because the makers of Death Note 2017 realized that this would be really, really stupid.

2) Ghost in the Shell 2017 transposed American values onto a Japanese character in a Japanese setting, and the story became about individualism and how science and technology are scary and not to be trusted. This is stupid, because Ghost in the Shell's story is more cultural than personal. By contrast, Death Note 2017 places its American story about American characters with American values in America. This works out pretty well, because Death Note's story is more personal than cultural.

Mr. X

You missed it. It's set in the US though and westernized.

Top Bottom