• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Without knowing how much better the stock for PS4 is this month and then trying to factor in Infamous and MGS, its very difficult for me to grasp how anyone can say either machine will be dominant, or will crush, or will destroy etc.
Yeah I don't get how people can say its one way or another.

Too many variables this month.

Yoday

S¡mon;105761372 said:
No, I am not.

It's simply what I'm thinking. Titanfall is a huge title for Microsoft and I believe that they sold a large amount of units. We already saw an uptick in sales in February. March will continue that trend. Combine that with the launch of Titanfall, a game of which many people believe it is only available on XB1, and they are sure to sell even more XB1s than last month.
Last but not least, the Xbox One has been 'on sale' in a lot of stores. Some stores offer coupons, others simply sell the Xbox One for a lower price. Hell, I even saw a thread here where Amazon was selling the Xbox One with Forza for $399. People jump on that: "wow, it's $100 off, quickly buy it!"
You have to ask yourself why retailers would be selling them at a discounted price if they were selling well to begin with? My Walmart has had printed up notices on the front doors of available Xbone stock for months now, and now they are actively advertising the reduced price along with the stock availability. Why would they be doing that if they were already selling?

March was supposed to be the big turning point for the Xbone with the launch of Titanfall, but instead we are seeing retailers reducing the price of the console on their own. I have a really hard time believing that March is going to have anywhere near the impact that MS was hoping for. If anything this retailer driving price reduction could be bad for MS in the long run. If retailers are actively trying to get rid of stock, then how likely are they to order more than just a few units at a time unless the demand suddenly booms? There is also the added downside that now that the price has been $450 with a game, it is going to be damn near impossible for MS to sell system at $500 again, even with a game. Their sales could absolutely plummet if they don't drop the price of the Titanfall bundle to $450 themselves. The next few months are going to be very interesting indeed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
IMO, if Sony has had enough stock available to win the month, they will. That's the way I feel, regardless of what happened with MS/Titanfall.

B.O.O.M

Is PS4 still supply constrained in America ?.

Constrained? Yes. But the situation is improving. Sony has been supplying new stock to some of the major retailers much more frequently

On the topic of Xbone slaughtering PS4 for March....I don't see it happening. On the other hand I do expect it to win. Because let's face it..if it doesn't then it's going to be bloody embarrassing for MS

Wynnebeck

Banned
I know we've talked about it extensively, but I honestly think MS being silent since the launch of Titanfall is indicative that MS might not be in a place where they want to be sales wise. They've retreated into the "wait for the quarterly report" bunker, but even so, for a such a game as TF, they would have been shouting sales from the rooftops if it make them look good. March is going to be close, but with the release of Ground Zeroes, Second Son, and more available stock in supply constrained America, I'm going to slightly give the nod to PS4 coming out on top. Like I've said before, if Xbone does come out on top, it will be the slimmest of margins.

I know we've talked about it extensively, but I honestly think MS being silent since the launch of Titanfall is indicative that MS might not be in a place where they want to be sales wise. They've retreated into the "wait for the quarterly report" bunker, but even so, for a such a game as TF, they would have been shouting sales from the rooftops if it make them look good. March is going to be close, but with the release of Ground Zeroes, Second Son, and more available stock in supply constrained America, I'm going to slightly give the nod to PS4 coming out on top. Like I've said before, if Xbone does come out on top, it will be the slimmest of margins.

or they're saving that press release to coincide with March NPD

S¡mon;105759956 said:
I don't want to start a riot, but PS4 will be slaughtered by the Xbone when the March NPD sales come in.

I hope that PS4 sells more, though I'd be surprised if they do with Titanfall plus all the discounts on the Xbox. Just a guess but I think MS will probably sell 30k or so more consoles than Sony.

MUnited83

For you.
S¡mon;105759956 said:
I don't want to start a riot, but PS4 will be slaughtered by the Xbone when the March NPD sales come in.

I have no doubts that Xbox One will have better numbers, but it will not be what I call a "slaughter". Maybe 30-40k advantage.

Yeah, I have to agree that the silence surrounding Titanfall is not a good sign for numbers.

I think the Xbone will come out ahead in this months NPD, but I don't think Titanfall has met Microsofts expectations at all.

Anth0ny

I think Xbone wins March NPD by a decent margin (not huge) thanks to Titanfall, but it won't be pretty from April to whenever they decide to drop the price on the thing.

Goes in and out of stock. Don't think that's enough to say that its readily available.

It's "constrained" as in it is not available everywhere like a copy of Titanfall or Infamous would be. It is not "constrained" as in being hard to find or get if you want one.

Amazon.com has had stock non stop for about 2 weeks now, and most Gamestops have had stock for almost that.

All signs point to yes.

Constrained? Yes. But the situation is improving. Sony has been supplying new stock to some of the major retailers much more frequently

On the topic of Xbone slaughtering PS4 for March....I don't see it happening. On the other hand I do expect it to win. Because let's face it..if it doesn't then it's going to be bloody embarrassing for MS

It's was in stock for the majority of the month and it currently is on the majority of outlets.

Best Buy
Gamestop
Amazon
Newegg

Thanks for the replies guys.

January saw PS4 outsell xbone by 2:1. February saw PS4 barely eek by the bone, but it was in very short supply. March got Titanfall vs big PS4 shipments and infamous. March will be very interesting indeed. I'm betting on xbone taking March NPD by around 40K. But the real interesting month to watch will be April. That's when we will see if TF had any effect beyond winning a single month for MS.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's "constrained" as in it is not available everywhere like a copy of Titanfall or Infamous would be. It is not "constrained" as in being hard to find or get if you want one.

Amazon.com has had stock non stop for about 2 weeks now, and most Gamestops have had stock for almost that.

lol There is no alternate definition of "constrained":

con·strain transitive verb \kən-ˈstrān\
1a : to force by imposed stricture, restriction, or limitation

Being able to find a random PS4 on Amazon or maybe in Gamestop does not mean that supply is not constrained. There aren't "levels". It either is or isn't.

Midou

I'm curious to see where the PS4 and XB1 will be at the end of 2015, a couple of E3s and plenty of time to release games. Then the supply problems, one off popular games and all that jazz will be a non-issue.

The Warehouse was the first to do that, I think. I wonder if they are taking the approach that the UK supermarkets do and are using them as a loss-leader. I know that the missus always complains that we go in to the Warewhare with the intention to buy one thing and walk out with a whole crapload of stuff. I know JB originally had it listed at $98, but dropped it immediately on launch day to $78 to compete.

The joys of competition. :3

Even Dick Smith's are selling it at $79. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come and we get some decent game pricing for once.

lol There is no alternate definition of "constrained":

Being able to find a random PS4 on Amazon or maybe in Gamestop does not mean that supply is not constrained. There aren't "levels". It either is or isn't.
Well there are alternate definitions but aside from that, yes you're right it is in fact still constrained.

I would disagree however that there aren't levels of constraint. There pretty clearly are. I'm just trying to be clear that it is not what I would consider heavily constrained as it was last month/beginning of this month. It is more readily available and so less constrained than before.

Again, if you want one you should have no problem getting one at this time. That was my point. To be clear to those actually wondering.

TS-08

Even though it is still "constrained", the bolded language implies a degree of scarcity that no longer exists. The fact of the matter is it is available to a degree it wasn't before. It has been available on Amazon for nearly two whole continuous weeks. Referring to finding one on Amazon as being "random", as if doing so is a matter of luck, is not an accurate depiction.

because if PS4 outsells it they can go "but titanfall!"

That would assume two possibilities

1. Titanfall sold under projections and MS and/or EA don't want to gloat about the numbers
  2. MS is saving the PR out of fear they will lose March NPD
Personally I don't know if I see either possibility being that likely. The only thing I can come up with is Titanfall sold very well but it's a new IP releasing on 3 platforms in March so it's sales were never going to be incredible right out of the gate. They simply don't find the numbers that impressive relative to previous releases.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm thinking xbone will win march and by a big number, like 200k more, but not because of Titanfall, but rather because of the crazy discounts and promos.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Even though it is still "constrained", the bolded language implies a degree of scarcity that no longer exists. The fact of the matter is it is available to a degree it wasn't before. It has been available on Amazon for nearly two whole continuous weeks. Referring to finding one on Amazon as being "random", as if doing so is a matter of luck, is not an accurate depiction.

Neither is the notion that the PS4 still isn't constrained. Is Sony making it better? Yes. Is the PS4 as plentiful as the Xbone to where I can walk into any major retailer tonight and grab one? No. Being in stock for almost 2 weeks on Amazon after periods of time being sold out doesn't exactly say not constrained either.

TS-08

Neither is the notion that the PS4 still isn't constrained. Is Sony making it better? Yes. Is the PS4 as plentiful as the Xbone to where I can walk into any major retailer tonight and grab one? No. Being in stock for almost 2 weeks on Amazon after periods of time being sold out doesn't exactly say not constrained either.

I never said otherwise. I only took contention with how you described the situation. You didn't need to exaggerate to make your point.

On Demand

Banned
I'm thinking xbone will win march and by a big number, like 200k more, but not because of Titanfall, but rather because of the crazy discounts and promos.

No way. I think XB1 will win March too, but not by 100K and definitely not by 200K. It's going to be more like 50K to 70K.

Dr Bass

I am not sure this will pan out. This would mean X1 would have to do numbers in the 400-500k range, and if that were the case we would probably have an indication that this was occurring. Such as, you know, no massive discounts across multiple retailers, including Microsoft's own web store.

This would also assume that apparent greater PS4 supply would not result in an uptick in it's own sales as well.

Either way NPD for March will be incredibly interesting. I am not sure if I think X1 will outsell PS4. You would hope so, for it's own sake, but I am not sure that it's going to happen.

coldone

I'm curious to see where the PS4 and XB1 will be at the end of 2015, a couple of E3s and plenty of time to release games. Then the supply problems, one off popular games and all that jazz will be a non-issue.

At that time only two issues will decide

1) Price. Which ever console lands up being cheaper will win
2) 1080p/720p: 60fps/30fps issue. If it keeps repeating on big games like COD in 2014 and 2015, it will be tough for Xbox one to out right beat PS4 even if it is cheaper.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It has been stocked locally for months now, Gamestop receives weekly shipments and it is easily available.

Wal-Mart is also always packed with PS4s and Xbox Ones.
My local Walmarts are the opposite. XB1s always available but I've only seen 1 PS4 at 1 of the stores since launch.

orochi91

After checking a certain video game tracking site's (with chartz in the name lol) weekly US number up until
the week of March 15th, I think it's safe to assume XBO comfortably outsold the PS4 this month. I'm thinking
by atleast 80k in the US and 20k in the UK.

Remember this post!

After checking a certain video game tracking site's (with chartz in the name lol) weekly US number up until
the week of March 15th, I think it's safe to assume XBO comfortably outsold the PS4 this month. I'm thinking

Remember this post!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You seem to know that the site you got that info from is a joke, but the rest of the post comes across as being serious.

Remember this post!

I'm familiar with this site. The one that had to adjust their US Xbox One figures by 70% after January NPD.

There's no point in paying attention to what they have to say, given their numbers are only accurate post-NPD/GfK/Nintendo/official data surfaces so they can update their shit.

Notice how their Japanese numbers always come out a day after Famitsu and Media Create? And how they mysteriously have Japanese data going back decades despite existing since 2006? And it's the only data that's never adjusted? Not suspicious at all, right?

I still go there occasionally. Old habits die hard...

Alchemy

I am not sure this will pan out. This would mean X1 would have to do numbers in the 400-500k range, and if that were the case we would probably have an indication that this was occurring. Such as, you know, no massive discounts across multiple retailers, including Microsoft's own web store.

This would also assume that apparent greater PS4 supply would not result in an uptick in it's own sales as well.

Either way NPD for March will be incredibly interesting. I am not sure if I think X1 will outsell PS4. You would hope so, for it's own sake, but I am not sure that it's going to happen.

This is the biggest thing. If TitanFall was pushing units beyond what is normal we wouldn't see retailers drop the prices $50-$75 right now, especially without Microsoft pushing for an actual price drop. You don't see retailers dropping the price of the PS4 or any of its bundles, in fact we're still seeing forced bundles to upsell thirsty consumers.

orochi91

I'm familiar with this site. The one that had to adjust their US Xbox One figures by 70% after January NPD.

There's no point in paying attention to what they have to say, given their numbers are only accurate post-NPD/GfK/Nintendo/official data surfaces so they can update their shit.

Notice how their Japanese numbers always come out a day after Famitsu and Media Create? And how they mysteriously have Japanese data going back decades despite existing since 2006? And it's the only data that's never adjusted? Not suspicious at all, right?

I still go there occasionally. Old habits die hard...

Yea, I used to frequent that site until I discovered Neogaf last year. If anything, they
need better moderation; it was like Gamefaqs at certain times. Their numbers are super
suspicious though, which is unfortunate because a proper site dedicated to sales would
have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom