• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

in 'Curse you millennials!' news: 19 Industries millennials are killing

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
http://www.businessinsider.com/mill...erticals#/#breastaurant-chains-like-hooters-4

Causal dining restaurants - what and go dine alone, like some kind of loser?
Beer - lmao sure
Napkins - paper towels > *
Titty and Wings joints - its 2017. we eat ass now
Cereal - cereal sucks
Golf - ZZzzzz
Motorcycles - boomers can't even drive cars
Homeownership - fuck you I can't even afford to move out
Yogurt, especially light yogurt - meh
Bar(as a 90s kid i wash my ass - again ... meh
Diamonds - you mean worthless rocks?
Banks - yea its everyone elses fault that banks suck
Department stores - whats the "internet"
Designer handbags - can't even afford garbage bags
Gyms(Crossfit for the win, all you need is some dangerously heavy shit and rope) - lol sure
Home improvement stores - whats the "internet"
Football - good
Oil - even better
Fabric softener - and ruin my clothes faster?

Aske

This is hilarious. "Gen X is killing the china cabinet, chimney sweep, and silverware industries!"

But yes, along with cultural redundancy, many of these things are due to the comparative lack of spending power.

Furyous

Causal dining restaurants
Beer
Napkins
Titty and Wings joints
Cereal
Golf
Motorcycles
Homeownership
Yogurt, especially light yogurt
Bar(as a 90s kid i wash my ass
Diamonds
Banks
Department stores
Designer handbags
Gyms(Crossfit for the win, all you need is some dangerously heavy shit and rope)
Home improvement stores
Football
Oil
Fabric softener

All of these are baby boomers' fault.

Is it my fault that baby boomers reckless pursuit of profit fucked the job market for a decade? Their reckless actions recked the economy so millennial couldn't spend money they didn't have splurging on things they couldn't afford.

It's hard to afford a designer handbag when the economy goes to shit. Why buy a home when I can rent? Why a buy a motorcycle when I can purchase an ebike that lasts longer? I refuse to believe strip clubs have gone away unless you're talking about restaurants with scantily clad women. In that case, let me keep my income in my home saving money.

I'm a diehard Arizona Cardinals and Cleveland Browns fan that has multiple outlets to get my content. Team channels post free videos and live online game passes are available.

Dollar Tree . com sells a 24 pack of shower gel for the cost of eight bottles of old spice shower gel sold in grocery stores. 24>>>>8 and it costs half the price.

Moral of the story is I can't wait for a live generation to get in control of this economy. Our hopeful millennial President in 2020 corrects all of these injustices against us.

JettDash

Some of this is just not true. As in the industries are not dying. Banks are more profitable than ever, for example.

Kthulhu

Some of this is just not true. As in the industries are not dying. Banks are more profitable than ever, for example.

The article is referring to physical locations. Most millennials it says visit the bank less than once a month. Though I personally chalk that up to online banking and direct deposit, not millennials.

The article is referring to physical locations. Most millennials it says visit the bank less than once a month. Though I personally chalk that up to online banking and direct deposit, not millennials.

wtf would you ever visit the bank more frequently than once per year at the very most

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As been said multiple times, Millennials are literally in a system that works against them to earn money. We don't fucking have that much money to go around and have to work a lot harder to earn less. We're not going to fucking spend that on shit we don't need.

GhaleonEB

Makes sense that the home improvement stores would suffer with the generational decline in home ownership. Baby boomers aren't going to be fixing up their older homes, as they keep what they have for retirement. Millenials don't have homes to fix up because they're too damn expensive or just plain unavailable.

Nothing of value being lost on the list, though. Other than the two above - I own an older home and do lots of upgrades - I don't participate in those industries either. (Gen X here.)

The diamond industry in particular can get fucked.

JettDash

Saying that millenials are killing the banking industry and that millenials rarely go to physical bank branches aren't the same thing.

Article is dumb.

slit

Almost 40% of millennials surveyed by Mintel said cereal was an inconvenient breakfast choice because they had to clean up after eating it

Oh perish the thought. Bunch of lazy sloths!

at least we're smart enough not to ride fucking motorcycles

But motorcycles are fun.

The article only mentions Harley-Davidson, which I can totally see as the majority of riders I see on them are like 40+ years old. I just don't see young people into cruiser bikes like that. I bet the numbers for cheaper Japanese bikes have decreased less. Though this is also partly my personal preference.

I will say I'm surprised at how many bikes Harley-Davidson sells though. Didn't think it would be that much.

7oGEgNi.png

GhaleonEB

Reading through the article now, so I can learn about the why, not just the list. I was curious about cereal being on the list.

Almost 40% of millennials surveyed by Mintel said cereal was an inconvenient breakfast choice because they had to clean up after eating it, The New York Times reported in 2016.

Of all the reasons, I didn't expect "you have to rinse a bowl" to be the reason. This explains the proliferation of breakfast bars in the cereal isle.

But motorcycles are fun.

The article only mentions Harley-Davidson, which I can totally see as the majority of riders I see on them are like 40+ years old. I just don't see young people into cruiser bikes like that. I bet the numbers for cheaper Japanese bikes have decreased less. Though this is also partly my personal preference.

I will say I'm surprised at how many bikes Harley-Davidson sells though. Didn't think it would be that much.

fun < permadeath

Pretty sure only shit beer makes that list. Fuck the generic tasting crap.

And yeah home ownership, seriously, no one can afford it unless they are already on the ladder or have a good amount of savings. My parents home is currently over 10x the value of what they bought it for about 25yrs ago. It's not like our wages went up at the same rate or anything.
You're then stuck in some of the biggest long term debt one can ever have, shelling out a majority of your wage for the next 20-30yrs. This is what's killing home ownership.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mill...erticals#/#breastaurant-chains-like-hooters-4

Causal dining restaurants
Beer
Napkins
Titty and Wings joints
Cereal
Golf
Motorcycles
Homeownership
Yogurt, especially light yogurt
Bar(as a 90s kid i wash my ass
Diamonds
Banks
Department stores
Designer handbags
Gyms(Crossfit for the win, all you need is some dangerously heavy shit and rope)
Home improvement stores
Football
Oil
Fabric softener

Nigga what? And you being born in 1890 doesn't make you a 90s baby bruh.

shoelacer

Banned
Oh yeah millennials are totally killing beer, thus why the microbrewery industry has exploded in the last decade and AB and Heinekin are swallowing up anyone they can throw a check at

manfestival

Oh yeah millennials are totally killing beer, thus why the microbrewery industry has exploded in the last decade and AB and Heinekin are swallowing up anyone they can throw a check at

it makes sense considering it most likely is referring to macrobrew vs microbrew.

pablito

Millennial checking in

Causal dining restaurants - maybe I'm a hipster but why would I ever go to Applebee's when I can go to my favorite local joint? Step your game up.
Beer - craft beer is rising, to the point where macros are buying them up and trying to buy all the hops for themselves. So I guess this is about the macros. Get fucked.
Napkins - I use these.
Titty and Wings joints - these are casual dining restaurants, so see above. When I first heard of hooters back then I didn't care, though. There's attractive women in the world, so I don't see the need to eat at a place that hires them specficially.
Cereal - I don't know the age range of millennials, but it seems like this is a natural thing. You just probably eat less cereal as you age. I still eat some from time to time but not like when I was younger.
Golf - George Carlin summed up golf perfectly years ago. Find that bit for how I feel about golf.
Motorcycles - I don't have one, but I like motorcycles. I'm just not going to risk it.
Homeownership - I'd love to buy a home but I can't afford it.
Yogurt, especially light yogurt - I eat yogurt on a regular basis.
Bar soap - I don't see how this matters. Irish Spring can make a body wash if they want. I bet they do. I use both though.
Diamonds - only diamonds I ever bought was my wife's engagement ring. That's also the only diamonds she has since she doesn't like jewelry.
Banks - I bank. Shrug.
Department stores - who tf likes going to the mall nowadays? It's a chore.
Designer handbags - I don't use handbags (are these purses?) so I can't comment.
Gyms - I go to the gym 5 times a week so, but only because it's at work. If I had to commute it would double my gym time and I'd never go.
Home improvement stores - idk I don't really need to go to one that often.
Football - I'll watch more when Tom Brady retires.
Oil - get fucked.
Fabric softener - Yeah I don't use this.

Zocano

As a millennial: hooters has really good wings. But It's kinda gross being there so I would only ever take out from there.

JettDash

Some older people still use cheques. Or for when you need to deposit/withdraw cash.

If I need to deposit a check, I do it by taking a picture with it on the app on the my phone.

My main checking account (USAA) doesn't even have physical branches.

Machina

Banned
Causal dining restaurants - Who gives a shit. I prefer my food without cockroaches or human hair in it
Beer - Lies. I'm Australian, we still love beer
Napkins - It's called a sink
Titty and Wings joints - Assman for life.
Cereal - More lies. Weed and Fruit Loops go great together
Golf - Good.
Motorcycles - I choose life.
Homeownership - HAHA OHHH REALLY?
Yogurt, especially light yogurt - I eat yogurt
Bar soap - Body wash is superior
Diamonds - The 3rd world thanks you for not supporting this slimy trade
Banks - Lmao if only they were actually dying
Department stores - Whogivesashit.gif
Designer handbags - I'm a man, I don't care
Home improvement stores - Fuck Tim Allen
Football - As in American Football? Literally no one else cares except America
Oil - Poison the planet while making assholes obscenely rich. My heart bleeds.
Fabric softener - Yeah I don't use this.

Top Bottom