• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

Hasney

https://github.com/smealum/regionthree/

So basically all this needs is a file on an SD card and an Internet connection and you're good to go. Fantastic news as it works on 9.4 too!

How to use

Download Launcher.dat from the repo (or compile it yourself) : https://github.com/smealum/regionthree/raw/master/Launcher.dat
Copy Launcher.dat to the root of your SD card
Insert the game you want to run into your 3DS and power it up
Open the "Download Play" application
Hit the home menu button, but do not exit the Download Play application (keep it running in the background)
Open the Web Browser applet
Go to Gateway's exploit page (not linking directly to it here because not a fan of their whole piracy thing they've got going)
Wait a few seconds; screen should turn black and after a bit your game should boot up !

In lieu of using the GW site, there is a mirror here: http://go.scmods.com

Please let me know if linking that site is not OK mods.

But Hasney, what if I'm out and want to boot an out of region game?!

Well the easiest way would be to use your phone as a hotspot, but failing that, say when there's no signal, there's an Android app!

To use this via wifi tethering, hotspot or whatever your phone/tablet may call it (why can't they just use one name?)

Make sure MOBILE DATA IS OFF, so 3G, 4G etc OFF
And also make sure normal WIFI is OFF

Also add a connection to your 3DS with your hotspot ssid added, most likely be something like AndroidAP, AndroidMaster not sure what other default ones there are but if you've changed it already you should know what it is. :)

And for the other option local network, well that's just the usual wifi. Both your phone/tablet and 3DS connected to the same network. EG: Phone connected to home wifi 1, 3ds also connected to home wifi 1. :)

Download the .apk here, then enable unknown sources and install it using an Android file browser.

But Hasney, what happens when I run a certain game? Can you tell me? We'll love you even more!

No, I can't. HOWEVER, gingerbearman has your hookup and has started a Wiki guide about what happens with certain games with certain regions 3DS's. Take a peek and add your own findings:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_RegionThree_Compatibility_List

Use these deets:

Game Name
Game Region
3DS Region
Language Displayed
Comment/citation

The exploit page is:http://go.scmods.com/ if an error occurs, try deleting cookies.

This has been tested by multiple users and works perfectly. The only downside I've found is that pressing the home menu button whilst using the exploit causes the system to crash.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Great stuff, this should absolutely be legal, right :)?

RalchAC

This is for avoiding the region lock, right?

No dumping cartridges on the SD card and that stuff.

Since Europe doesn't get a many retail games as US, I'm quite happy.

Assault

Wow, this is a megaton if it works as intended. Not as useful to me personally now that MH4 is coming out next month, but I'm sure it will have its uses down the line.

Really safe ? I'm really cautious about this.

Also, when a new firmware will correct this, can I still go the internet with a 9.4 firmware ?

Stuart444

Makes me want to try importing a game or two but I can't help but worry when the next update is released for 3DS blocking this.

We'll see.

Hasney

Really safe ? I'm really cautious about this.

Also, when a new firmware will correct this, can I still go the internet with a 9.4 firmware ?

I'm sure they'll patch it at some point, but you can always decline updates as long as you don't mind not using the eShop.

RM8

This is cool and I support it because it's not a method that facilitates piracy. It's sad that eventually people will have to decide between remaining region free or having access to the radio.

gngf123

You might also be able to add Nintendo's update servers to a list of blocked addresses on your router. I remember something like that but haven't tested it yet.

Then you won't get the update messages at all.

EricB

Great. I just bought a Japanese New 3DS in Seoul yesterday. Really wanted the small version as the XL doesn't seem much different from the regular XL which I already have. Was going to go the flashcart route to play my U.S version games, but then I accidentally upgraded to 9.4. Thought I was going to be stuck playing DS games and my one Japanese 3DS game (Slime Morimori 3) for a while. Not that it would have been a problem, but I will try this out right away.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Will the same exploit that this uses allow you to run other Homebrew eventually?

Hasney

You might also be able to add Nintendo's update servers to a list of blocked addresses on your router. I remember something like that but haven't tested it yet.

Then you won't get the update messages at all.

Yeah, the only thing you have to do then is turn the wireless off if you take your 3DS outside. Spot pass will still give it to you.

Vuze

Nice, this eventually means that Gateway will support fw up to 9.4 too.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what and when Nintendo will fix all this.

FSLink

Banned
Great. I just bought a Japanese New 3DS in Seoul yesterday. Really wanted the small version as the XL doesn't seem much different from the regular XL which I already have. Was going to go the flashcart route to play my U.S version games, but then I accidentally upgraded to 9.4. Thought I was going to be stuck playing DS games and my one Japanese 3DS game (Slime Morimori 3) for a while. Not that it would have been a problem, but I will try this out right away.

Does not work for new3DS models at the moment.

So I've tried this out and it works great but how in the world do you download DLC/patches with this? Especially for foreign games.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like the perfect solution for me, more so than a flashcart. I have no need for homebrew and have no problems carrying cartridges around. But I have no imported games to try it with at the moment.

On a side note, I think those DQ remakes just received a greastest hits release (either already released or soon to be) so it's a good time to buy those games.

finalflame

Gold Member
Neat. I wonder how long until someone gets this working on the N3DS. I will keep my old 3DS at 9.4 so I can import JP titles in the future and play them with this exploit. It's fantastic news.

The way things are going, it will not be long before we somehow have the 3DS wide open.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
This is awesome but it just makes me even more furious at bullshit Nintendo and them talking about how this would be technically too difficult or whatever poor excuse they had.

Not that I can complain too much after all I imported a 3ds despite it all because improving my JP was more important to me.

Whole region lock shit just sucks... :(

EricB

Does not work for new3DS models at the moment.

So I've tried this out and it works great but how in the world do you download DLC/patches with this? Especially for foreign games.

Yeah, I guess I should work on my reading comprehension skills. At least I can play my Japanese games on my U.S. XL then. Here's hoping they get it up and running on New 3DS ASAP. Meanwhile, I'll continue playing Rocket Slime.

Stuart444

Just because I'm considering it, any recommended JP games? Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Digimon Decode.

finalflame

Gold Member
This is awesome but it just makes me even more furious at bullshit Nintendo and them talking about how this would be technically too difficult or whatever poor excuse they had.

Not that I can complain too much after all I imported a 3ds despite it all because improving my JP was more important to me.

Whole region lock shit just sucks... :(

Yah, Nintendo and region locking is full of bullshit. Look at Vita. Region-free, and not a single legal/localization/technical problem.

Top Bottom