• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

jb18qcRX8g2YCw.JPG

Not again :(

LOL oh noez

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
jb18qcRX8g2YCw.JPG

Not again :(

Haha, check a page or two back. The same thing happened to me.

You DID get the new sword in that dungeon right? After I got that, the boss was a joke.

Instro

Haha, check a page or two back. The same thing happened to me.

You DID get the new sword in that dungeon right? After I got that, the boss was a joke.

Yeah I have the sword, I'm playing on Nightmare though so small mistakes on my part are pretty punishing for the comparative amount of damage I was doing (either 1 or 10-15 damage per hit in this case). His pattern is actually pretty simple compared to some of the other bosses so far, although it gets a little tricky at the end because its so easy to run into its head. In any case, I beat him a few minutes ago so time to move on.

I was really enjoying this game a lot but they really fucking ruin it with the last couple of dungeons. It started with the mountains and went into the castle. It got to where the regular enemies were more and more difficult to kill and save spots were less often.

I'm not about an hour into the fucking castle area and I haven't seen one goddamn save. I don't mind a challenge but this doesn't add to the challenge it just makes the game stupid because it makes me want to not fight any of the enemies when I can fight my way through them for half an hour and die and then be all the way OUTSIDE the castle again. It doesn't help that the enemies here can kill me in four or five hits. So all I do is just avoid all of them which defeats the point of them being there even. I found the clear cape through some exploring and backtracking and even with that it's still pretty tedious and annoying.

Again, I don't mind a challenge. I like the boss fights quite a bit and Dark Souls was one of my favorite games in the last year, but this garbage is just tedious. I have went every path I can find in the Castle. I've been to the basement, I've been to the rooftop where the organ is, and up into the tower where the woman and the two children are. I haven't see a single goddamn save in the entire dungeon. That is fucking piss poor design right there.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The last couple of dungeons are impossible to complete without the spirit cape imo.
Back track to the ruins and you can find it. It gives you regenerating HP when idle.

The last couple of dungeons are impossible to complete without the spirit cape imo.
Back track to the ruins and you can find it. It gives you regenerating HP when idle.

Yeah I found that thing before even going to the castle because I remembered some earlier areas that had those kinds of blockades, so I backtracked to the mines and the ruins. Even with it, though, it's still really annoying.

It just sucks because the game is extremely fun and well designed up until that point.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Valestein castle is an awesome dungeon. I don't know how you've missed the save points, there's one in each wing of the castle, both before a boss.

Then there's another one at the "end" of the castle before you go into the clock tower, which also happens to be before a boss.

Pancakes

Also, if you know you're about to die, just open up your inventory and teleport back to town. It saved my ass a bunch of times. Yea you have to clear through again but it's better than dying.

Valestein castle is an awesome dungeon. I don't know how you've missed the save points, there's one in each wing of the castle, both before a boss.

Then there's another one at the "end" of the castle before you go into the clock tower, which also happens to be before a boss.

I have been going out of my way looking for them. I climbed all the way to the top where the organ is. No save in that direction. I went down where the spikes are if you fall off the platforming and no save in that direction. I went all the way to the top of the tower with the woman and her two kids and no save in that direction. The only thing left is to go across teh platforms to the right and I've tried that and I make it almost to the end and fall down into the pit which is a very dangerous area especially when you've been playing for a goddamn hour and half and haven't saved.

Also, if you know you're about to die, just open up your inventory and teleport back to town. It saved my ass a bunch of times. Yea you have to clear through again but it's better than dying.

Yeah started doing that in the mountains but I really just want to find ONE save in this damn castle before warping out of it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to remember exactly how to get to them, it's a big dungeon. One is to the far east, and the other to the far west.

I'd have to break out the game to see exactly rooms they're off of.

The first one isn't really that far from the entrance, if you really need to heal you can just teleport back there. From that first round room with various exits, just head east and you'll hit that room you mentioned with the spikes and pillars you have to jump between. One (and a boss) is on the other side of that.

The other one is a bit further. Go west from that round room, past the piano room, and eventually you'll get to another round room. Keep heading west, and you'll come to another "challenge" room where there are a bunch of floating floor pieces that will fall if you stand on them (takes you to a room with lava, so be careful as you fall). If you've collected all the accessories so far, you'll have one that reveals the safe places on the floor. After that room, save point/boss.

Thank Jesus, I just found a save. If anyone else is on the Castle dungeon and needs help the first save is to past the room to the right after you make it past the long path of swinging spike balls. In the next room after the swinging spiked balls, you need to go LEFT and then make it all the way across the room with the platforming. If you fall you'll be in a really shitty area with three rooms full of enemies to fight your way back up, so good luck with that.

I just don't understand the save design choices in these last few areas.

I mean, the game is really smart about saves and checkpoints early on. There is not only always a save before all boss fights, but if you die on a boss, it doesn't even make you go back to a save and allows you to literally start at the beginning of the fight instantaneously. That's smart design.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the second half of the mountain and the final dungeon are the worst in terms of save points. I think you just had some bad luck in exploring the castle and took some wrong turns that prevented you from finding saves points. Once you've gotten all the items you have to collect, the rest of the dungeon is pretty straightforward from there.

Johnas

^^^ What difficulty level is that?

I know that feel. I usually leave the green one for last, it's a little easier fighting it solo.

I finally just finished this game on Inferno (PSP version though) at level 50. The progression in difficulty is not as obscene as I thought it would be, but it seems like a little grinding is almost required on Nightmare and Inferno, due to the way experience is earned.

I actually had to level to 52 to finish Nightmare, but I didn't want to do that for Inferno, 50 is such a nice round number.

Never again though. Normal should be a cakewalk from now on.

I do plan on buying the PC version soon though. One of the best games ever, imo.

Instro

^^^ What difficulty level is that?

I know that feel. I usually leave the green one for last, it's a little easier fighting it solo.

For me the best way to go about it seemed to be leaving all 3 alive while whittling each down to low health before killing them all in short order. Saved the trouble of dealing with all the extra moves/patterns and stuff.

Anyway, I finally got around to continuing my Nightmare game earlier. It has certainly added a nice level of challenge to my first time playing this game. I left off about a month ago after just beating the 3 harpies in the mountains and was quickly reminded of the feel of losing a bunch of progress in between save points lol. Watching money and experience levels disappear is rough. I did pick the 3rd bracelet though, finally I can kill those stupid rock things.

bede-x

I'm about five hours into this and really enjoying it. Haven't played an Ys game since the third one, I think, so it's kind of fitting to return to a remake of that, before turning to any of the newer ones.

One question though: Are there unlimited Ravels in the game? Because right now they come in limited supply from chests that don't respawn. If there's a limited amount of them it would make sense to save upgrading, until one is in possession of whatever the final equipment is.

flowsnake

Monsters drop them eventually. You'll have more than enough throughout the game, and it's silly to save them anyway. The small amounts you find early on won't make much difference to the hundreds you need to upgrade the strongest stuff.

Cheddahz

Banned
I know this thread is old, but I got the game during the Summer Sale, played the crap out of it, completed it once and loved it. If you want a JRPG that's not too long to play and a blast the whole ride, get it

I still need to beat Origins though

Firebrand

Last boss is murdering me, doesn't help that it's difficult to hit that particular spot during the first phase due to lack of depth perception. Probably should switch to digital movement too to land the forward fireballs easier. I'm level 50 so maybe getting an extra level or two might help as well.

Enjoyed the game for the most part! Just picked up Origin so might be going for that next, but might wimp out and lower the difficulty to Easy, 15-30 tries on most bosses was a bit much.

EDIT: Took me an extra level and the spirit necklace and even then I was close to dying, but, victory! Now onto Origin.

Riposte

Two things I'd like to run by you guys:

1) Are power-up drops / healing items more common here than in Origins?

2) Am I crazy or does this look better than Origins, at least on PC? I thought Origins was released after.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hit a wall with this boss before the Clock Tower. It has really annoying attacks, and the time to hit it is pretty small.
Don't watch a video of someone beating it perfectly on youtube. It will just piss you off.

I beat Nightmare and Nightmare Boss Rush over the last few days.

Gyalva and Istersia are going to be haunting my dreams over the next week, I'm sure.

Gyalva on Nightmare did this to me. I was bitter for DAYS.
Gyalva is very much a luck based battle on Nightmare, it's very unlike Falcom.

What makes it more frustrating is that he's not that hard, but it's also a drawn out battle. Four minutes in, I've got him down to only half health and BAM I'm stuck in a corner and he's charging me, nothing much I can do. Rinse, repeat, scream.

I don't know if I have an excuse for Istersia! He took the biggest chunk of time in both my Story Mode and Boss Rush games. I know Chester 2 is infamous for driving controllers through walls but I didn't have a problem with him. I almost blew my voice box out today screaming during my Istersia fight.

Yesterday I would have put Ellefale on my hate list, but I finally figured out what I've been doing wrong on her all these years this morning. Oh, it's still a horrible boss fight, but my Rage Level for her went from 9/10 to maybe a 6/10 after my forehead slap moment.

How is Inferno compared to Nightmare?

I actually beat most (if not all) of the Nightmare Story Mode bosses with the same level and equipment restrictions as Boss Rush (or under, in a few cases) so I could gauge if Boss Rush was something I could actually do. So knowing I could level up once or twice on problem bosses, I almost feel like I should get it done while all the chaos is fresh on my mind and reflexes.

Petrie

Banned
Finally getting around to this in my Steam backlog, and very quickly find myself looking to drop it. Playing on Normal and in the 2nd "dungeon" I'm getting killed pretty easily. I guess I'm just more of a "turn based" guy or something. Feels harder than a game should so early.

Wonko_C

Finally getting around to this in my Steam backlog, and very quickly find myself looking to drop it. Playing on Normal and in the 2nd "dungeon" I'm getting killed pretty easily. I guess I'm just more of a "turn based" guy or something. Feels harder than a game should so early.

Start over on a lower difficulty, it will only get harder if you get further.

A quick question about the Felghana box covers: Is this the original PC cover?:

It is indeed. Always was one of my favorite covers.

Also, yeah, if you're finding Oath really hard, that's what the lower difficulties are for. Especially if this is your first Ys game, ain't no shame in starting easy.

Psxphile

I posted in this thread once upon a time, just would like to say I beat it a while back. Then I moved on to Origins.

And now I'm back on Oath, but at a higher difficulty level. Baby steps. :x

Oh boy, can't wait to play Napishtim on Steam!

*sobs*

InertiaXr

Am I doing something wrong on the Steam version? This first boss Dularn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3I5DObM1s is completely impossible; I'm currently on 'normal' difficulty. I can avoid the 5 parallel sword attack every time and the 3 swords coming down at the same point attack almost every time, but the 4 swords coming in random directions hits me at least once usually twice per 'attack', and I can only take like 8 hits before I'm dead. Because that 4 swords attack will take 10-20 HP from me every time he uses it, I can only get Dularn to about half health before I eventually die. I see the guy avoiding them in that video, and I have no idea how he's doing that. I seem to jump at the same angle and same timing as that, but at least 1 sword always seems to hit me. I also tried jumping in all directions and at all different times trying to avoid it as well, but nothing seems to consistently work.

Psxphile

Nah, it's just really that hard to avoid that one particular attack. Your timing has to be pretty good. I usually jump early, land between them and quickly jump again. But it doesn't always work.

Have you already upgraded your armor to max? If you have the ore you should do it, every point of defense helps. Also, if you're still getting a decent amount of XP from mobs you should grind a level and see if the boost helps.

... oh yeah, also use Boost whenever possible. It's like a temporary buff for your ATK and DEF.

InertiaXr

Nah, it's just really that hard to avoid that one particular attack. Your timing has to be pretty good. I usually jump early, land between them and quickly jump again. But it doesn't always work.

Have you already upgraded your armor to max? If you have the ore you should do it, every point of defense helps. Also, if you're still getting a decent amount of XP from mobs you should grind a level and see if the boost helps.

... oh yeah, also use Boost whenever possible. It's like a temporary buff for your ATK and DEF.
I've only upgraded my sword once. :/ I haven't gone back to town for anything yet, since this is basically the first dungeon I was just blazing through it and got stuck on this guy. I did find 5 ore in a chest though earlier on, so I should probably go back to town (is there any way to teleport back?) and upgrade my armor. And I totally forgot about boost...

Surprised how easy Gyalva was compared to the lava dragon duder. Only took me five tries on hard compared to the fifteen plus tries Guilen took me.

Took down the crystal wyrm/brain thingy pretty quickly too. Hopefully the next boss is a little more challenging.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lol that boss calls out what attack he does? I had voice turned off

that would make it so much easier

Decado

Surprised how easy Gyalva was compared to the lava dragon duder. Only took me five tries on hard compared to the fifteen plus tries Guilen took me.
I didn't have much trouble against Guilen, but Gyalva is just frustrating and I'm almost ready to give up on the game. I haven't enjoyed fighting the bosses in this game. Feels more like a tedious grind than good gameplay.

Top Bottom