• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Atruvius

Splendid job on the OT! Just the right size and light on pics!

You lucky americans getting the game few days before us euros! The wait is killing and it has killed my desire to play any other games.

I got so excited that I went to my local library and loaned R.A. Salvatore's Icewind dale trilogy. Never read any of his books so I was quite surprised by how good the first book actually was. Tonight I'll start reading Streams of Silver. Thumbs up from me!

You know, I think I'd actually like this game if it were not designed so that they can just paste the world into their MMO title.

It's not designed that way, actually. This was an existing game that they added their lore to.. their mmo was being developed @ 38 studios already before BHG was acquired in 2009. This is BHG's game re-tooled to use the amalur IP.

Aesthet1c

Amazing OT Reaper!

Can't wait for this game to hit! I really hope it does well. The passion from Big Huge and 38 is insane, they really seem to understand what gamers want.

Shadowcaster with Faeblades/Chakrams for me!

Really liked the demo. Seems to me what Fable 3 should have been. I played for an hour and a half and i found it a lot more interesting than skyrim (about 35 hours in and still bored, even if it is a good game).

I usually go mages in this so will probably do that. The mage weapons seem really cool.

Really like the character design and the colourful world designs. This came out of nowhere for me so ill get it once its out.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Splendid job on the OT! Just the right size and light on pics!

You lucky americans getting the game few days before us euros! The wait is killing and it has killed my desire to play any other games.

I got so excited that I went to my local library and loaned R.A. Salvatore's Icewind dale trilogy. Never read any of his books so I was quite surprised by how good the first book actually was. Tonight I'll start reading Streams of Silver. Thumbs up from me!

If you're still itching for more Salvatore, read the Dark Elf trilogy and stop there.

Arcteryx

Nice lookin OT! All the info reminds me to go and have a look at the exact build I want to use.

Next week can't come soon enough :(

ced

As admitted by 38, the demo sucked and was a really poor representation. Based on that I was skipping this for awhile, but they have really done a good job of being honest and working on the camera complaints, so I'm in now. I just hope those fixes come quick in a patch if they are not already in the GM.

wtfisthisshit

Copernicus, the project they are developing secondary to Amalur.

It's not designed that way, actually. This was an existing game that they added their lore to.. their mmo was being developed @ 38 studios already before BHG was acquired in 2009. This is BHG's game re-tooled to use the amalur IP.

Then I guess I just don't like the design. It seems kinda... counter-productive... to a single player.

I still haven't played the demo. It's been downloaded since day one but haven't played it or watched videos because I have this weird urge to go in completely fresh with this game. Anyone else? It seems like it would be right up my alley. I loved the following games that might have some similar elements: Deus Ex HR 60 hours, Dead Island 65 hours, LotR War in the North 40 hours. It's also supposedly great with the 360 windows pad which is my preferred method of control.

Say what you want about EA but they funded half the development and all the marketing... millions and millions of dollars spent that NO other publisher was willing to do, according to Curt's big post in the demo thread. I found this statement in your OP to be childish, vindictive, and ill-informed.

But... I'm not just buying a game, I'm part of the bigger picture. Sure the game is nice, but this is about supporting people I'm projecting my hopes and dreams upon. Together we can change the world.

In what way?

All the areas just seem like MMO hubs, with all the quest requirements close by or within the same area. The display also feels like it was designed that way as to handle many different characters on screen at once. It didn't feel big to me, it felt like it was trying to make itself feel big. Maybe I'm wrong, but it also turned me from a "maybe" to a "nope, won't buy it".

jediyoshi

If I play the demos on different platforms, will I still be eligible for the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items? (For example, Mass Effect 3 on PC and Reckoning on PS3.)

No, you must play the Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 demos on the same platform to be eligible for the crossover items.

Ffffffffffffff

ReaperXL7

I want to see some screenshots of epic bosses you get to fight, hopefully all with interesting mechanics.

melsenshir__16.jpg

reckoning_-_balor_battle_1.jpg

Khezu

All the areas just seem like MMO hubs, with all the quest requirements close by or within the same area. The display also feels like it was designed that way as to handle many different characters on screen at once. It didn't feel big to me, it felt like it was trying to make itself feel big. Maybe I'm wrong, but it also turned me from a "maybe" to a "nope, won't buy it".

The engine supports lots of characters on screen because it was built for both RPG's and RTS games in mind. BHG the people who made this, made strategy games before this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

This honestly makes no sense to me, but I won't argue it.

Retail version activatable on Steam?

No, it's not Steamworks.

Gotcha. That makes sense, and I got the same vibe from the demo. For me it works because my main problem with MMOs are all those other people running around and getting in my way. ;P

Rokam

Went to preorder at gamestop, and we were talking about the demo. Apparently at my local store they saw a major surge in preorders when the demo went live. And they were pretty positive it would result in a midnight launch for it, I live in a smaller town so it's nice to hear it's doing well here.

Went to preorder at gamestop, and we were talking about the demo. Apparently at my local store they saw a major surge in preorders when the demo went live. And they were pretty positive it would result in a midnight launch for it, I live in a smaller town so it's nice to hear it's doing well here.

That's great news

Wow I thought people were joking when they said Curt Schilling was involved with this product. I stand corrected. Though, being a Braves fan, it might sway my opinion on buying it. Just kidding Curt, day one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gotcha. That makes sense, and I got the same vibe from the demo. For me it works because my main problem with MMOs are all those other people running around and getting in my way. ;P

Precisely my thing too. It's actually what I love about the game. I love MMO quest structure, and I hate all those people getting in my way.

so BHG is 38 studio's property?

thetrin

so BHG is 38 studio's property?

BHG was purchased by 38, yes. I assume they saw KoA back when it was called something else, liked it a lot, and said "Hey, this would be a great game to establish the world of Amalur before Copernicus is released."

ReaperXL7

But... I'm not just buying a game, I'm part of the bigger picture. Sure the game is nice, but this is about supporting people I'm projecting my hopes and dreams upon. Together we can change the world.

I like supporting the developers that make games that work, and I enjoy. No projecting involved. :)

jogarrr

Finally decided to go with a pure finesse build. Seems like a nice mix. Daggers for single targets / Faeblades for groups when I want to melee and Bow + Traps when I feel like ranged.

Playing as a Varani with Mischief (Poison Damage/Resistance)
Focusing my skillpoints on Detect Hidden, Lockpicking, Mercantile, and Stealth.

I am now ready. Can't wait.

Also, if nobody else has claimed the Assassin avatar I'll take it.

Finally decided to go with a pure finesse build. Seems like a nice mix. Daggers for single targets / Faeblades for groups when I want to melee and Bow + Traps when I feel like ranged.

Playing as a Varani with Mischief (Poison Damage/Resistance)
Focusing my skillpoints on Detect Hidden, Lockpicking, Mercantile, and Stealth.

I am now ready. Can't wait.

Also, if nobody else has claimed the Assassin avatar I'll take it.

Pure Rogues unite!!! After a little bit of exploring I'm going to join the Travelers faction since they are the rogue/thief faction.

Yaska

Already preordered this game o/ Just need to preload and wait few days for being european.... Owell.

CAN'T WAIT GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME.....erhm....

I'm not sure if this has been answered/discussed but I wonder if the guilds will be handled similarly to Skyrim (master and ruler of all). Personally I think it would be nice if you could only be a member of one guild at a time, or at least only guilds that don't share conflicting ideologies. Anyone have any info on this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As soon as I get my tax return, off to Steam I go to to buy this and add me some funds for the future. I hope the game does well enough to warrant either a sequel or more awesomeness from Curt and pals.

Wish the retail was Steamworks as I want a nice packaging but oh well. I also hope there's a discount for early adopters.

Adamm

Loved the demo of this game.
But may have to hold of getting it for a while, there are other games I want to buy/play first

:(

Klyka

Banned
I'm not sure if this has been answered/discussed but I wonder if the guilds will be handled similarly to Skyrim (master and ruler of all). Personally I think it would be nice if you could only be a member of one guild at a time, or at least only guilds that don't share conflicting ideologies. Anyone have any info on this?

It's been said that you can do EVERYTHING in one playthrough. Nothing you do ever stops you from doing something else. This was actually one of their design decisions.

gehrig38

Holy crap this is awesome. Clearing up a few things.
1) BHG is 38 Studios Baltimore more or less:)
2) The universe in Reckoning, visually, is a combination of the game they were working on, and Amalur. Visually there wasn't much work to be done on what they had at the time to tweak it to our desires for the Amalur universe, and there was a TON made post partnership.

That's awesome news on the gamestop stuff, they've been awesome this week in helping hype our launch. If you haven't already done it and would like to be in the know please stop by and sign up for our newsletter on ours site, we just sent out our launch day announcement about the Gamestop stores Todd, Ken, RA and I are going to be at.

Also stay tuned for what will be an unprecedented launch day "EVENT" that you will WANT to be in front of a screen for, you will NOT want to miss the event or the 'stuff' that may potentially be available to certain folks "at" the event on launch day.

Promise it's never been seen or done to this scale, ever.

Torraz

Ok. Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to stay clear of them then. :)

I, on the other hand, enjoyed all of Salvatores books. But that was before I discovered a song of ice and fire, mistborn, first law trilogy etc. They got me into reading so I guess I'll always have a spot in my heart for them ;).

Top Bottom