• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Porcile

4 is not a good beginner Samurai Shodown game. 1 and presumably 2 are coming soon and those are the more popular and accessible games in the series.

Wait, what?!!??!!!

https://twitter.com/StewReview/status/888024869983576065

TH47kKl.jpg

"GOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLL"

Super Sidekicks is next week. Is that any good? Looks kinda like ISS Deluxe on SNES.

wait for super sidekicks 2. it's better in every way and to me the ultimate NeoGeo kicker.
it's also better than it's successors (apart from some graphical stuff)

ISS Deluxe (SNES) is in another leauge (no pun intended) though, so don't be disappointed (Super Sidekicks is a pure arcade game after all).

Timu

So I did Samurai Shodown 1-4 on Level 8, and here's how I put them in difficulty:

3>2>1>4

Also Samurai Shodown 1 is still awesome!

1 is my favorite by a big margin

My very first Neo Geo game I saw in the arcade. Changed my life really. Made me obsessive for years forward playing it. I use to ditch school to play it and we did a bit of a mini tournament locally for months.

I remember begging my parents for a Neo Geo home console and of course do to cost that never happened. Still kinda blows my mind I own it now in portable form. My favorite fighting game of all time really. Only Street Fighter 2 comes close in memory and fun.

Moldiver

Are any sites reviewing these? too many to choose from and I want to get some. Had a neo-geo pocket colour as a kid and spent a ton on Metal Slug arcade machines but no idea what to get.

firenze

I'll be surprised if we see it at all on a non Neo Geo console.

Yeah I'd be a little surprised too, not sure who even has the rights since there were so many parties involved. Developed by Noise Factory, Brezzasoft, and Evoga. Technos/Arc System Works might have some rights in the Double Dragon characters too.

The best hope is that since it was initially published by Playmore maybe they have rights to redistribute it. Not having seen it ever get a port or even a cheap ROM dump re-release (a la some of the Neo Geo games sold for play on PC) doesn't give me a ton of hope though.

It's a shame too, awesome game. And a shame that Evoga went under shortly thereafter, they seemed to really have some promise - RotD might well be the best predominantly Mexican-developed game I've ever played!

So are there any videos or articles out there that actually explain how to play Samurai Shodown 4 or just the SS series in general? I have never played a SS game and there seem to be a lot of systems in there that are not explained in the game's manual. YouTube searches have been surprisingly fruitless. I never will be good at fighting games but I like to be at least able to understand the techniques that I can't pull off properly.

Your best bet would be Gamefaqs:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583620-samurai-shodown-iv/faqs

They aren't always that comprehensive for certain entries though.

You might also be able to get away with Google translating some of the JP wikis. The JP community is still pretty active in some of the retro arcades (mostly V Special).

Here is what seems to be a pretty comprehensive one for SS4:

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~hitokiri/amakusa.htm

simtmb

Bit late but just picked up Blazing Star, will purchase a few more shortly.

Been well over a decade since I last played this, absolutely love it. Port appears to be good so far as well.

Yes, Super Sidekicks!

Along with the first Samurai Showdown and KoF, there just need to add Windjammers and at long last I can replicate the cabinet from my loan comic book store growing up!

ggx2ac

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/akeaka.html

Top 20 Neo Geo titles on Switch (in Japan?) from March to July:

1) Metal Slug 3
2) King of Fighters '98
3) Metal Slug
4) Samurai Showdown IV
5) King of Fighters '99
6) King of Fighters '94
7) Metal Slug 2
8) Blazing Star
9) Alpha Mission 2
10) World Heroes Perfect
11) Garou: Mark of the Wolves
12) Waku Waku 7
13) Fatal Fury Special
14) Shock Troopers
15) Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
16) Magical Drop 2
17) Last Resort
18) Neo Turf Masters
19) NAM-1975
20) Fatal Fury

Note: There are currently 26 Neo Geo titles available on Switch.

Oddduck

Aero Fighters 2 is coming to Switch next week.

That must mean King of Fighters 2000 will be released the week after Aero Fighters 2.

After KoF 2000, we have no idea what Neo Geo games are coming to Switch.

So are there any videos or articles out there that actually explain how to play Samurai Shodown 4 or just the SS series in general? I have never played a SS game and there seem to be a lot of systems in there that are not explained in the game's manual. YouTube searches have been surprisingly fruitless. I never will be good at fighting games but I like to be at least able to understand the techniques that I can't pull off properly.

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com has info on the systems for a heap of arcade games inc Samurai Shodown. It's an ancient site using franes but it's nice how it's presented; a lot of the info is taken from the marquees of the original arcade machines.

firenze

That must mean King of Fighters 2000 will be released the week after Aero Fighters 2.

Also, here's an updated list of ACA Neo Geo games on PS4/XBO that haven't yet been released on Switch and presumably will be in time (since Hamster obviously has the license for the ACA series). Newest additions are Pulstar (PS4/XBO) and Zed Blade (XBO), which released in July for those systems.

Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
King of Fighters '95
King of the Monsters
Pulstar
Sengoku 2
Super Baseball 2020
The Last Blade
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
Zed Blade

1) Metal Slug 3
2) King of Fighters '98
3) Metal Slug
4) Samurai Showdown IV
5) King of Fighters '99
6) King of Fighters '94
7) Metal Slug 2
8) Blazing Star
9) Alpha Mission 2
10) World Heroes Perfect
11) Garou: Mark of the Wolves
12) Waku Waku 7
13) Fatal Fury Special
14) Shock Troopers
15) Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
16) Magical Drop 2
17) Last Resort
18) Neo Turf Masters
19) NAM-1975
20) Fatal Fury

garou, why u so low?

also i need real bout

Moofers

YES! I will buy Aero Fighters 2, even at the stupid $8 price for an emulated port. Whatever, its fuckin Aero Fighters 2, my mans! I will buy it up. Love it.

Oddduck

Also, here's an updated list of ACA Neo Geo games on PS4/XBO that haven't yet been released on Switch and presumably will be in time (since Hamster obviously has the license for the ACA series). Newest additions are Pulstar (PS4/XBO) and Zed Blade (XBO), which released in July for those systems.

Out of that list, I'm hoping for Super Baseball 2020, The Last Blade, and Pulstar.

Although, I would prefer Baseball Stars 2 more than anything.

I'm not too interested in fighting games, and from what I've played of Metal Slugs the games themselves are kinda short. Is the appeal to replay through to try to beat hi-scores? I'm tempted to pick up something but not sure if I'm over thinking the value of having these on Switch.

Porcile

Without the real life coin eating I think the main hook is arguably lost. Therefore, I just enjoy playing these games in short bursts when I want to release a bit of steam and look at some incredible 2D graphics. Also, as carts these games are crazy expensive, so they have good value + portability.

firenze

You really can't look at most Neo Geo games, Metal Slugs definitely included, as something to "beat" and be done with. They are arcade games designed for a fairly quick fix, and they are totally about the replayability to me. Since the Slugs aren't competitive 1-on-1 games (which you do find on Neo in the fighters and stuff like Magical Drop), it really comes down to whether you enjoy firing them up and either:

a) doing a full run through of the game, credit feeding to your heart's desire. Maybe you're trying to do it in as few credits as possible and improving on your best number, maybe you just wanna see the scenery or goof around co-op with a friend, whatever.

b) trying for score, though I don't particularly find run-and-gun platformers hold up as well in that regard as something like a typical scrolling shooter with some intricate scoring mechanics (think Cave games)

c) learning the game enough to where you can do a 1 credit clear, to truly claim you can "beat" the game. Or, for a slightly more lenient variation, give yourself 4 credits like the standard Neo Geo home cart setup. I remember the U.S. version of the Xbox port of Metal Slug 3 limited you to 4 credits, and learning the massive final mission enough to finish it with the limited credits really did feel like an accomplishment. I could always get to that mission on my first credit, but oh boy does the last gigantic mission turn up the difficulty.

That said, Metal Slug 3 is by far the best of the series in variety since there are LOTS of branching paths - generally at least two majorly different branches in each level. I kinda feel this is why MS3 has always been so popular, especially with people who are more casually into Neo Geo games. Me, I kinda prefer the completely linear and short MS1. I could play it 100 more times and still find it fun just to go through it again, similar to how I feel about stuff like Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 1, Castlevania... But I understand where some people might be uninterested in that and find MS3 provides them a lot more value.

It was on Wii VC.

Yeah, VC Baseball Stars 2 is actually one of my most played Wii titles. It also appeared on the PS2/Wii/PSP SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 compilation.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we see it before long, though I'm personally a lot more interested in Super Baseball 2020 because that hasn't ever had a Neo Geo accurate port.

Since the two most recent releases don't appear (Super Sidekicks this week; Samurai Shodown last week, which I would expect probably did pretty well), seems likely that this list covered the first 24 releases in the series at the time it was compiled. That means the four games that didn't make the top 20 are:

Over Top
Galaxy Fight
Sengoku
Fatal Fury 2 (I guess people knew FF Special was coming 3 weeks later)

Aside from shared surprise that Garou was so low (maybe due to more ports, including the recent and quite good PS4/Vita release from 2016), it pains me a bit to see Neo Turf Masters only clocking in at number 18. That has also been re-released quite a bit, but it still deserves to be #1 forever.

Weevilone

I'm not too interested in fighting games, and from what I've played of Metal Slugs the games themselves are kinda short. Is the appeal to replay through to try to beat hi-scores? I'm tempted to pick up something but not sure if I'm over thinking the value of having these on Switch.

Like any arcade game with a shooting element, the attraction is to learn the game and not have to credit feed it, imo. Whether the score itself excites you or not is another matter. There are plenty of short arcade games if you use 50 lives to "beat" it.

firenze

Also, re: that top 20 list...

KOF, Metal Slug, and Samurai Shodown doing well is not terribly surprising. Fatal Fury in general (between FF, FF2, FF Special, and Garou) being so much lower was a little surprising to me.

And ALPHA MISSION 2 cracking the top 10 is really kinda crazy to me. Who knew there was such love for this game... I've always thought of it as one of the lower tier Neo Geo games.

Steiner

Banned
Sooooo Metal Slug is the first Neo Geo game I've bought for the Switch and I gotta say, I feel pretty burned. The controls are maddeningly unresponsive, and the slowdown is awful to the point of being really distracting. Please tell me other Neo Geo games aren't like this. =/

Can I get a refund on this? Is that possible with Nintendo?

Sooooo Metal Slug is the first Neo Geo game I've bought for the Switch and I gotta say, I feel pretty burned. The controls are maddeningly unresponsive, and the slowdown is awful to the point of being really distracting. Please tell me other Neo Geo games aren't like this. =/

Can I get a refund on this? Is that possible with Nintendo?

No refunds.

You didn't happen to buy Metal Slug 2, did you? All the Switch Neo Geo games are largely considered arcade accurate but that's the one known for its slowdown.

Steiner

Banned
No refunds.

You didn't happen to buy Metal Slug 2, did you? All the Switch Neo Geo games are largely considered arcade accurate but that's the one known for its slowdown.

Ffffff-

Oh well... Nope, it's Metal Slug, and I can't believe that anyone would be happy with this. =/

Top Bottom