• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The honeymoon period is over.....What game did you once love, but now hate?

OCD Guy

The honeymoon period can be short lived in some games, while others slowly but surely eat away at you.

What game did you once love but now absolutely hate, and why?

I went on quite a high with Splatoon 2 but now the little things are beginning to annoy me. Why can't I exit a damn lobby inbetween matches, yes I can choose to quit immediately after match, but sometimes you end up stuck in a lobby for ages with no simple way to exit.

Why can't I change weapons inbetween matches? "The game has a matchmaking system to ensure an equal spread of weapons in teams". It fucking doesn't, I'm seeing teams full of the same weapons.

Why can I not pick my weapon in Salmon Run? I don't want to use a fucking bucket.

ViolentP

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, but Breath of the Wild is something I don't even think about anymore. I tried jumping back in and within minutes, I realized I didn't care.

ASIS

I rarely hate games, but Bioshock Infinite and Resident Evil 5 fit the "honeymoon" period.

When I was playing them I thought they were something on a different level from other games. But now that I look back, they are just good games, that's it.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it, but Breath of the Wild is something I don't even think about anymore. I tried jumping back in and within minutes, I realized I didn't care.

Hate to say it, but I actually agree. I had a wonderful time with the game, but I don't feel like replaying it.. at all.

Quite the contrast from SS where I played it and Hero mode back to back.

OCD Guy

Oh nearly forgot about that one.

"Man the freedom is so great" has gone to "I can't be fucked anymore"

It feels as though I can spend 4 hours in the game and achieve absolutely nothing of worth.

Because otherwise you'd be stuck with 3 tryhard MLG snipers every fucking time.

True you might get lumbered in matches like that, but it's no worse than when you're on the final wave with 10 seconds to go, and the last guy remaining decides to go on a suicide run instead of reviving team mates or at least staying alive and...."It's a wrap"

mreddie

Bioshock Infinite The Thread

After finishing it, I honestly had no desire in replaying it and once Last of Us came out, that shit was abandoned.

I had no desire in playing the DLC because it was right back to Rapture.

FFXV. I had fun in the beginning. Then I noticed most of it came from nostalgia. Game design, writing and gameplay were a mess.

I loved Assassin's Creed 2 last generation but as the franchise diluted itself over the past decade, I definitely don't love it anymore.

Used to be in my top 5 of last generation, but I wouldn't even bother including it in my top 10 now.

Best wishes.

wapplew

Most MMO.
Loved it while playing, regret it once I realized how much time I waste on it.
Also most competitive MP, loved it when everyone fresh and noob, hate it when everyone improved and I'm still a noob.

Don't necessarily hate it, but I loved PlayStation all stars battle royale for the first year and now i don't think i can ever play it again.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Persona 5 and Nier: Automata were a couple more for me.

Around the 10 hour mark I just wasn't finding the gameplay satisfying. I realized I was just going through the motions to find out what happens next. Not worth my time.

Drinkel

Probably Breath of the Wild, not really hate but it has turned into a game that I'm more annoyed at the more I think about it. Especially the combat, the shrines and the korok seeds. I will still probably consider it up there when GOTY comes around because of all the amazing moments I had with it and the genuinely impressive system interactions that exist within it.

It's a weird game that almost feels restrained by being a Zelda game and I wish it was it's own thing.

Breath of the Wild for me.

Like many, I sunk hundreds of hours into the game because the itch to explore was unrelenting. I had to get back to the game so I could see what was out there. So I could find the next secret, or see the next view, and meet the next character.

This phenomenon relied greatly on the game's greatest strength: mystery. But after completing the game, the mystery is gone. There are no more surprises. You know where everything is. You'll never be surprised to land on Eventide Island for the first time again, or find the Guardian graveyard in Akkala, or bring together strangers and watch a village grow, or find a Lynel by accident. All these things only work once.

Once they're known, and done before, the appeal of retread is greatly diminished. The first time I played, I would lose hours and hours wandering because you never knew what was out there. My subsequent replay attempts have asked me "what's the point?"

I don't hate it or anything like that. I'll make one final go of it when the DLC finishes. But chances of me ever feeling the same way as I did the first round are pretty low.

Dark Souls 2. I played through it three times in a row at launch, but I gave up on it at the FoFG when I got around to playing SOTFS. After Bloodborne and DS3 I just can't go back to it because it feels slow and clunky, and it looks like arse.

Rmagnus

Banned
Hmmm I don't buy games which I don't think I will not like. I think the only mistake I made was lord of shadows. Hey how bad can a god of war clone be? God I hate that game but since I never loved it before I guess it don't count.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You should be able to change your loadouts before a match starts in Splatoon 2, but I'm sure that can be added with an update.

Hate is a strong word, but Zelda BotW has gone downhill for me. I don't hate the game, as there's so much to love, and on paper this is where I want the series headed. But the lack of real dungeons and cool interior areas to explore kills it for me. The shrines are tedious and not the least bit interesting, and sadly that's where the bulk of your time is spent. Beating shrines. I'd also ditch weapon breakage.

I know this is going to ruffle feathers of certain people, but Skyrim absolutely schools BotW in terms of an overworld with cool places to explore. It's ok if I'm not Spiderman jr climbing cliffs. Give me a run down fort or cave over a stupid shrine any day.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Breath of the Wild for me.

Like many, I sunk hundreds of hours into the game because the itch to explore was unrelenting. I had to get back to the game so I could see what was out there. So I could find the next secret, or see the next view, and meet the next character.

This phenomenon relied greatly on the game's greatest strength: mystery. But after completing the game, the mystery is gone. There are no more surprises. You know where everything is. You'll never be surprised to land on Eventide Island for the first time again, or find the Guardian graveyard in Akkala, or bring together strangers and watch a village grow, or find a Lynel by accident. All these things only work once.

Once they're known, and done before, the appeal of retread is greatly diminished. The first time I played, I would lose hours and hours wandering because you never knew what was out there. My subsequent replay attempts have asked me "what's the point?"

I don't hate it or anything like that. I'll make one final go of it when the DLC finishes. But chances of me ever feeling the same way as I did the first round are pretty low.
Does it really count as a honeymoon period if it lasts until you beat the game?

Chastten

Banned
Can't think of any.

I mean, once finished I pretty much completely forget about a game I played, but the good memories remain.

BHK3

Banned
Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1.

Demons Souls was probably the most obtuse game I have played at that point and I didn't want to pop the guide back out to replay it. DS1 I beat and realized there was no more wonder or adventure left and all that remained was poorly designed frustration once I got to quelag.

CHC

Probably the first Bioshock, it has aged really poorly and it's themes just seem really ham-fisted and cheesy in hindsight.

Let's see.... Metal Gear Solid 4 might fit too. Don't think I could ever play it again. It's butt-ugly and I always sort of conditionally liked the plot based on further expectations for more MGS games. Since MGSV was so goddamn disappointing I kind of lump in 4 with the bad parts of the series and now I consider it to just be a trilogy for all intents and purposes (MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, done).

I was also THE biggest Morrowind fan but I'm pretty over Elder Scrolls in general now. That's more my gripes with the direction of the series, though, rather than my actual love for Morrowind dwindling.

Does it really count as a honeymoon period if it lasts until you beat the game?

I guess that's a good question.

The reason I present it as such is because it's rare for my lasting feelings about an experience to differ from my concluding feelings. I usually remember a game the way I felt when I first finished it and that kind of memory is frozen forever as my lasting impression.

But now that DLC is coming out, namely Hero Mode and the story expansion, the game is incomplete again. I should feel the need to continue the game and ride that finishing high into a second playthrough or at least a dungeon crawl.

But because of how I cooled off, I'm not motivated to do it. It's hard to really push because the hook is missing.

Pokemon Gen 4's mainline entries, too slow paced and effectively killed any interest I have in playing any of the newer games since, well, besides HeartGold and SoulSilver

Edit: And MGSV: Phantom Pain, once I got through a few more missions after rescuing Miller, the game just ended up feeling tedious and a slog to go through

antitrop

God of War 1 blew me away when I first played it in 2005, but I'm so fucking sick of Kratos that I couldn't imagine playing it again. I don't hate the game, but I do hate the character.

higemaru

Zero Time Dilemma.

I was just happy to get a conclusion. It's not a good conclusion by I'll accept it, I just won't defend it.

Probably the first Bioshock, it has aged really poorly and it's themes just seem really ham-fisted and cheesy in hindsight.

Considering how many people still don't "get" BioShock, I have to wonder if it's really ham-fisted. People fail to take meaning and understanding from things that, I would think, are extremely obvious by now. But people still don't get it and say asinine stuff like "the BioShock 1 remaster should have had the Little Sisters from BioShock 2."

I think part of the aging problem with BioShock is people have begun taking it for granted and don't respect it for what it accomplishes.

MrBadger

That was quick, OP

Probably Ace Attorney 5 - Dual Destinies. I was taken in by the 3D visuals and the fact it'd been a while since the last Ace Attorney. But the more I dwelled on it, the more disappointed I was in the direction they went in. It has a few things I like, but the story is honestly pretty terrible. it's now my least favourite game in the entire series.

I have a similar relationship with Ace Attorney 6, but I'm still a big fan of the individual chapters. I just don't think they come together as well as they could have if some stuff was set up better. But maybe in the long run that's another issue with 5

Fury451

Banned
Bioshock Infinite

I have talked about it at length in other threads but it's mostly for story reasons. It certainly isn't as sublime and genius as it appears at first glance, and I think time reveals that it's a very shallow story that misses the mark in nearly every way. Took a second playthrough several months after the first for the cracks to show, but once they did I couldn't ignore them.

The release of Burial at Sea and its shitty fanfic levels of writing helped seal the deal.

Virdix

Nioh. Loved the beta but man it really started to drag for me in the later regions. Still haven't finished it or BotW -_-

Love is strong but I really dug the game Root Letter recently, until after I beat it and got all the completely unsatisfying nonsensical ending. Really bad. Mystery games where the solution to the mystery is nonsense and unrelated(since it changes every ending, drastically, and pretty much none of them make sense or are remotely satisfying) are pointless.

I thought FF15 was solid at the start, too.

Fallout 4 for me. I put in 70 hours and enjoyed my play through up to the ending. And then I played for about 30 minutes after that until I was just completely bored with it and had no desire to come back to it. I haven't even played the DLC's.

I can't think of any

Same here. I can think of games that I loved once but got tired of, but hatred is a lot stronger than just me getting tired of a game or feeling like I've done everything I wanted to do with it. Honestly, the games that I play don't evolve enough over a play through for me to make so strong of a switch.

The closest I can think of is Eternal Sonata. The combat system evolved over time to be more and more challenging, which was my #1 issue (game is piss easy). I constantly thought I bet max level takes all the training wheels off and was looking forward to it. The game wasn't terrible and the combat had good ideas, they just made it too easy. Every level made the combat system more challenging, there's a promise land in sight.

The final level of the combat system is literally the only level that makes combat easier and they introduce damn near a win-button. That made me swing, but I never loved ES so it was more like it went from potentially good to middling.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
God of War 1 blew me away when I first played it in 2005, but I'm so fucking sick of Kratos that I couldn't imagine playing it again. I don't hate the game, but I do hate the character.
Ah, I couldn't think of any examples, but this one might be it. I did also go "whoaaaa" at God of War back in the day.

I'm pretty sure I do hate the game too now, though. QTEs, fixed camera, dodge on right stick... nope

Far Cry 3

Loved exploring it at first, and the graphics and enviroments are great. But:

*Story sucks.
*Vaas is not a good characters.
*It dragged on way to long.
*Second island should have been cut, and resources should have been spent making the first island as good as possible.
*Damage/healing system is annoying.
*Save system does it best to hinder sandbox gameplay. Just let me save anywhere/anytime.
*They should have handled the junk in the inventory better. Symbols aren't different enough.

Nioh. Played the Alpha a tiny bit (Got it the last day) then played the Beta A LOT. I bought the digital deluxe version and I kind of regret it because I haven't even touched the first DLC. I don't hate the game but I did get pretty burnt out on it since there was so much without enemy variety to make the later levels feel fresh or new. That and some of the end bosses are just really cheap and spam moves, especially when you have to face two of them at the same time.

I usually love hard games, I beat Ninja Gaiden 1 (and Black) & 2 on the hardest difficulty and those felt like challenges, but to me, it just gets really cheap near the end. I think the beta really spoiled me in a way because you would start with humans and then make your way to Yokai in the same level. In the game, it's the same way but you end up with the same Yokai enemies again and again with some humans sprinkled in every now and then.

One game I'm kinda getting there with is Tekken 7. The game plays fantastic and really deserves it success. I just don't know if I'm getting older or what but seemingly endless combos are getting so tiresome in fighting games. I fight people online and most of them do one launcher in to their combo and do it over and over and over. It sucks just sitting there waiting for it all to be over. I'd rather get a ring out then being juggled across the stage and then being comboed against the wall without being able to break out.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I rarely play Overwatch anymore.

It's just devolved into only being able to play certain characters or some random yells at you and curses you out for the whole match.

When my friends played it was a lot more fun, but playing solo is just eh to me.

Top Bottom