• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco teasing Pacman & Galaga 3DS [Up7: Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, Ono, Vesperia?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
miladesn said:
lol they changed the image on the site:

looks like they found out they didn't hide it very well!
'T' & 'S' are no longer visible

LOL @Scamco

god, I miss the smileys for moment like this

DR2K said:
Maybe? In Japan it's a fact. I doubt anyone would want the outdated Wii version.

OK? What does that have to do with America? It's already been released in Japan so this obviously isn't about Japan. If the Wii version came out I would be perfectly fine with that. This idea that Tales is going to do great here because it's on the PS3 dosen't make a whole lot of sense to me.

jeremy1456

DR2K said:
Maybe? In Japan it's a fact. I doubt anyone would want the outdated Wii version.

If it comes down to a choice between Wii version or none at all I doubt anyone would say 'none.'

Wii is cheaper and with a bigger install base. Not to mention the ToS:DotNW sold somewhat decently so it kinda would make sense.

RPGCrazied

jeremy1456 said:
If it comes down to a choice between Wii version or none at all I doubt anyone would say 'none.'

Wii is cheaper and with a bigger install base. Not to mention the ToS:DotNW sold somewhat decently so it kinda would make sense.

I have all 3 consoles. I don't care what it comes out on. If thats true, then I guess Nintendo is probably gonna fund most of it, like it did ToS. Though I'd rather much have the HD port with more content and trophies.

Link1110

RPGCrazied said:
Oh, and its not good? Well, I'm easily amused. I've liked all the Tales of stories so far, I'm sure this will be no different.
I liked Graces's story better. I understand Japanese, and if anything skews me it's that I got sick of Vesperia around 40 hours in and stopped, but that was due to the plot devolving into a repeating cycle of

1. Go to dungeon
2. Leave dungeon
3. Discuss dungeon events with each character individually on the airship (this is what skits are for)
4. Go to town
5. One character decides to leave the party
6. Discuss this with each party member individually
7. Wake up the next morning, and the party member decides not to leave after all
8. Learn where the next dungeon i

I thought Graces's story was much more interesting. There's a pretty jarring genre shift for a few hours near the end where you
go into space (which makes it every bit as much of a sci fi RPG as Star Ocean,)
but there were some great moments in there, and apart from one dungeon that was the most obvious filler I've ever seen in a JRPG
Where you're about to take off in the Shuttle and you have to go back to Fendel for a dungeon,
the story flowed flawlessly.

Quixzlizx

jeremy1456 said:

Wii version would be better than none, but I'm not sure why anyone who owns both systems would root for the inferior version to make it here.

Canova

Banned
jeremy1456 said:

The next Tales is built from the ground-up for PS3. It makes more sense for Namco to start warming up the bed for PS3 fans. Namco is obviously aiming for the FFXIII crowd

Besides Wii 3rd party sale number is not all that impressive.

So when this comes out on the PS3 here and bombs, I wonder what will be said then.

DR2K said:
I thought you were questioning it's success in Japan. Quite frankly in terms of success in the West, it'll fail equally on any platform in the US. Bringing over the Wii version of the heavily updated PS3 version would be an insult. I'd also prefer they bring it over to the PS3 to build a base for an eventual Tales of Xilia release.
No response was to the post about it going to sell more then the wii version if it came here. Which I really don't get the reasoning behind. And I don't know about failing, I mean it could sell as well as Vesperia, which did ok for a jrpg not named FF.

As for being an insult? Well I guess for some. I myself would be fine with the Wii version. Hell we don't know if Namco would even fully localize the extra content.

DR2K

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
OK? What does that have to do with America? It's already been released in Japan so this obviously isn't about Japan. If the Wii version came out I would be perfectly fine with that. This idea that Tales is going to do great here because it's on the PS3 dosen't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I thought you were questioning it's success in Japan. Quite frankly in terms of success in the West, it'll fail equally on any platform in the US. Bringing over the Wii version of the heavily updated PS3 version would be an insult. I'd also prefer they bring it over to the PS3 to build a base for an eventual Tales of Xilia release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
miladesn said:
lol they changed the image on the site:

Now it is:
apple.png

It was this yesterday:
m7s7b5.png

looks like they found out they didn't hide it very well!
'T' & 'S' are no longer visible

lol. They've been found out.

Quixzlizx said:
Wii version would be better than none, but I'm not sure why anyone who owns both systems would root for the inferior version to make it here.
the game does control better on the Wii. i already imported the Wii version but if Namco did a Wii version + PS3 extras (yeah right) i would probably grab that copy instead.

every game has got haters, but i am a lover: Graces is simply a perfect game. probably the best game Namco has made and will ever make. i can't play Team Symphonia games anymore because they are so rotten in comparison.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
canova said:
Most likely this is going to PS3. a warm up to Tales of Xillia localization ;P
Just like how Dawn of the New World was a warm up for Graces? :p

canova said:
The next Tales is built from the ground-up for PS3. It makes more sense for Namco to start warming up the bed for PS3 fans. Namco is obviously aiming for the FFXIII crowd

Judging by the screens we've seen, I think there's a good chance that Xillia was at one point a Wii game during its development

canova said:

The PS2 FF fanbase didn't help Western Tales sales on the PS2...I don't see why aiming for the FF XIII crowd would help much.

Also, I don't see how you can possibly say "3rd party sales for Wii aren't that impressive" when we're talking about an RPG here. How many niche JRPG titles like Tales have done exceptionally well on any console? At least ToS: DotNW sold over 100k and it would make much more sense to release the game for both consoles than just one.

Firestorm said:
Well if they were happy with Symphonia DotE sales we would have got this a lot faster I assume. I'd personally rather have the HD game with 20 hours of post-game story :p

Impressions say the future arc is only around 10 hours actually...

jeremy1456

canova said:

You don't seem to know much about Namco.

According to you theory Graces would be released for Wii here, because they already built the fanbase with ToS: DotNW.

MechaX

Bel Marduk said:
Also, I don't see how you can possibly say "3rd party sales for Wii aren't that impressive" when we're talking about an RPG here. How many niche JRPG titles like Tales have done exceptionally well on any console? At least ToS: DotNW sold over 100k and it would make much more sense to release the game for both consoles than just one.

This generation, there was Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, (probably Blue Dragon), and Demon's Souls. Hell, even Star Ocean 4 managed to hit somewhere in DotNW's ballpark.

But the feasibility of releasing Graces on both consoles really comes down to how difficult or costly it is to just port all of the additional content onto the Wii version. That, and I think the ship has sailed in terms of a niche core game on the Wii that doesn't have Nintendo-esque pushing behind it.

RPGCrazied

Gravijah said:
He doesn't seem to be having fun! Hahaha.

So. There isn't one series, that you would just go crazy over? for more info, anything at all? Just from one gamer to the other. Unless you're a casual player, then nevermind. The Tales of series, cliche as they are, is mine.

So, you'll just have to excuse my excitement when I see stuff over it, specially if its a maybe announcement on releasing the game in my country.

grandjedi6 said:
Judging by the screens we've seen, I think there's a good chance that Xillia was at one point a Wii game during its development
Really? How would you judge the development history of Vesperia? Just curious.

Gravijah

RPGCrazied said:
So. There isn't one series, that you would just go crazy over? for more info, anything at all? Just from one gamer to the other. Unless you're a casual player, then nevermind. The Tales of series, cliche as they are, is mine.

So, you'll just have to excuse my excitement when I see stuff over it, specially if its a maybe announcement on releasing the game in my country.

I'm just teasin' you. Relax!

Mainline Pokemon games. ;)

duckroll

_dementia said:
Really? How would you judge the development history of Vesperia? Just curious.

There are jaggies and the game looks kinda bad so it MUST have been a Wii game? Hohoho hahahahahaha OMG HE'S SO FUNNY! :p

distantmantra said:
Please explain.
the controls feel right using the Wii, sidestepping is done with direction+Z (block). in the PS3 version block is set to square, having to use two hands to do emergency maneuvers isn't too bad, but definitely a step down from the Wii version. mapping the R2 trigger to block feels off from pressing down the whole trigger.

i think the key difference is the positioning of the DS3's analog stick. Graces changes things by having UP move towards your enemy instead of TOWARD. this works great with the Nunchuk because your thumb is positioned directly over the analog. having to reach over to the analog on DS3, there's something about angling the thumb like that, the whole UP DOWN controls aren't as smooth.

primary and special attacks are mapped to A and B on the Wii, having fingers placed directly over the main attacking buttons eliminates the fraction of a second it takes to move your thumb from X to O. along with the easy one-handed dodge, i feel unstoppable when i play Graces on the Wii, while i was sluggish when playing the PS3 demo.

reading this over, it boils down to the Wiimote/Nunchuk completely destroying traditional pads when only 3 or 4 buttons are needed.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, the sticks feel a little worse but it doesn't really effect the gameplay at all from my experience.

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. You're just used to the Wii controls, which is something people playing it on PS3 for the first time wouldn't even notice. Most people are used to playing 3d Tales on a PS2 controller or X360 controller.

Eteric Rice

I hope it comes out on both systems so everyone can frolic happily with their tales, rather than rage at each other.

Come on Namco Bandai, release it on both system.

Gravijah

Eteric Rice said:
I hope it comes out on both systems so everyone can frolic happily with their tales, rather than rage at each other.

Come on Namco Bandai, release it on both system.

Hahaha, unlikely.

When Graces F comes out all you PS3 owners better buy 3 each. That way Xillia won't be too far (within the decade).

Oh and that's right I said when.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jeremy1456 said:
You don't seem to know much about Namco.

According to you theory Graces would be released for Wii here, because they already built the fanbase with ToS: DotNW.

Namco just throws darts to pick platforms.

Sometimes they pick the wrong platform, so they'll pull the dart out and put it in a more sensible spot (Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom