• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 Premieres May 21 - 2 Hour Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

If you're watching on tv, parts 1 and 2 are this Sunday and parts 3 and 4 are the following Sunday. If you're streaming, all four episodes will be available this Sunday.

I assume they're making the third and fourth ones available earlier to plan for Memorial Day weekend.

Damn, and there's no way to stream here in Britain either. I'm gonna have go on a major blackout next week then as I won't be able to watch any of it until at least next weekend. Sometimes I wish TV didn't exist so executives would finally realize that the internet doesn't just exist in America.

PolishQ

Well to me it makes sense to keep 3 and 4 spoilers tagged to be courteous, but considering they'll be out it'll technically be fair game?

They won't be available in certain territories. I think I saw that UK viewers have to wait until the 28th, for example.

That's very telling

I was initially suprised by that answer but I kind of imagine that Mark Frost was probably the keeper of the lore, as it were, anyway since that's what he did on the original show. I can imagine it Frost was probably the one who may have had to remind Lynch of smaller details, if relevant, from the original.

aravuus

Just finished rewatching the original series and I gotta say, even with all the dumb b-plots I still love season 2 too. It's just so goddamn bizarre. Tomorrow I'm gonna check FWWM out, never seen it before. Then I'm ready for season 3!

Ashby

There are some characters I really despise going into the second season. And I don't mean they're bad people, I mean they're awful characters that I want off the screen. This shut-in botanist is the fucking worst and oh great, Josie's back. Show's certainly not without its flaws.

There are some characters I really despise going into the second season. And I don't mean they're bad people, I mean they're awful characters that I want off the screen. This shut-in botanist is the fucking worst and oh great, Josie's back. Show's certainly not without its flaws.

Oh, keep going.

Real Hero

Wtf the shut in was great and had one of the saddest stories in the show

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, I don't think I can watch 4 hours in one day and then wait two weeks for another hour.
It's like the feeling when you're binge watching a show at two or three episodes a day and then catch up and have to wait. Also known as the most dire of first world problems.

I'm just glad all the episodes are finished this time, because this might flop harder than a Barca football player. I don't know if a younger audience cares about this show at all, it's probably just the die hards.

It's like the feeling when you're binge watching a show at two or three episodes a day and then catch up and have to wait. Also known as the most dire of first world problems.

lol ain't that the truth. If there was ever a show season I wanted to be released Netflix/Amazon style its this one, especially considering its one big film! Not really sure if that makes it good for binging or not though. Very curious how the pacing will feel for the different parts. Will it be consistent like the original run, or a mix of that and more experimental, avant garde parts?

I wonder if Robert Forster being photographed with Andy and Lucy confirms him as the recast Harry Truman.

In The Secret History,
we learn of the existence of Harry's brother, Frank.

Episode titles for the first 8.Doesn't spoil anything to be honest but I'll tag them anyway:

Part 1: My log has a message for you.
Part 2: The stars turn and a time presents itself.
Part 3: Call for help.
Part 4: ...brings back some memories.

Part 5: Case files.
Part 6: Don't die.
Part 7: There's a body all right.
Part 8: Gotta light?

Airola

Was season 2 not written and filmed in its entirety months before broadcast? People often talk about season 2 as if they they ran out of ideas and were writing episodes as they went along. The wikipedia page also mentions that Annie's actress was added to the show as the ratings started to decline.

They knew about continuing the show for a second season just some days before the last episode of season 1 was aired. Mark Frost said they had even shot a different ending to the last episode so that if the series don't continue they could have a diffent ending to it (he said it in the Donahue show which can be watched on Youtube).

The last episode of season 1 aired in May 23rd.
The second season started in September 30th.
There would've been roughly 4 months to write and film 22 episodes.
Not sure if that could've been possible.

Anyways, you can read scripts for most of the episodes here:
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/
You can find the dates of the scripts there too.

The first episode of season 2 had its final(?) version done in July 24, 1990 (the episode was aired in September 30, 1990).
The last episode of season 2 had its final(?) version done in February 28, 1991 (the episode was aired in June 10, 1991).

So, yeah they made it during the airing of the episodes.

If they released all 18 hours at once, it would be very unhealthy for me.

You'd need the sting of the 48 hour blend to get through that :p

New NY Times article

DAC9mhHVwAAixa3.jpg

Its early episodes became appointment television before the Binge Age, but once its quintessential problem was solved — ”Who killed Laura Palmer?" — the series got bogged down in a web of increasingly esoteric plotlines (deep space monitoring, for one). ”It got very stupid and goofy in the second season; it got ridiculous," Mr. Lynch said in a phone interview, explaining that his work on the film ”Wild at Heart" pulled him away from the show after the first season. ”I stopped watching that show because it got so bad."

Apparently I'm not the only one that got that timeline wrong (Wild At Heart screened at Cannes before season one finished airing).

Joqu

They won't be available in certain territories. I think I saw that UK viewers have to wait until the 28th, for example.

Generally GAF policy is that open spoilers are fair game once it has aired in a territory if I'm not mistaken. Happens all the time with foreign shows for Americans and vice versa. I don't think this is that different.

But yeah, personally I'd prefer if people don't go and spoil things.

PolishQ

Apparently I'm not the only one that got that timeline wrong (Wild At Heart screened at Cannes before season one finished airing).

Yeah, but it didn't have a wide release until August 1990, so he potentially could have been busy with promotion and distribution while Season 2 was being written and filmed.

edit: This was said by Madchen on Last Call with Carson Daly last night:

"In the first run of Twin Peaks, I play Shelley Johnson who is a waitress at the R&R Diner. But this time around you just don't know who I might play... cause David Lynch is tricky that way and some people are not playing their original characters.

Interesting. Also what does everyone think of neither Frost nor Lynch going back for a refresher of the old seasons when approaching the writing of the new one? Frost said season 2 finale events were a springboard for continuity but little else. Would explain continuity issues in the book. With that Madchen quote wondering if we're dealing with a different timeline entirely.

AoM

Interesting. Also what does everyone think of neither Frost nor Lynch going back for a refresher of the old seasons when approaching the writing of the new one? Frost said season 2 finale events were a springboard for continuity but little else. Would explain continuity issues in the book. With that Madchen quote wondering if we're dealing with a different timeline entirely.

Flash sideways, let's go.

;)

.JayZii

Banned

Sounds like this season will drive those trying to put a continuity together absolutely insane.

I'm down for whatever Lynch and Frost wanted to make.

Yeah, but it didn't have a wide release until August 1990, so he potentially could have been busy with promotion and distribution while Season 2 was being written and filmed.

Eh, it's a bunch of BS.

Lynch was more involved with the first part of the second season than he was with Season 1. If any period was effected by Lynch being distracted by Wild at Heart it would have been the first season.

With the second season, he personally directed 4 of the first 8 hours of the second season and had a major acting role in another episode. All of that was happening during the direct lead up and release of Wild at Heart. And a lot of the season's worst subplots were being seeded in those early episodes when he was still actively involved.

I think he just got frustrated with the network demands during the first start of Season 2 and stepped away as soon as he could. Reading interviews with the cast from the time it seems many of them, including MacLachlan, felt betrayed that he left them high and dry. I've been reading the Essential Wrapped in Plastic and much of the cast is incredibly frank about how awful the material they had was and how frustrated they were that Frost/Lynch were no where to be found. I think he has been packaging this Wild at Heart excuse over the years as a way to avoid taking personal responsibility.

Personally, I think Mark Frost's absence was the bigger issue. He was the guy who was actually experienced at running a TV show day to day and he was off making a movie during most of Season 2 and arguably had less involvement than Lynch. Peyton and Engels seemed to become the default showrunners and neither seemed experienced enough to handle it.

What I found truly bizarre is that evidently Lynch was a part of the interview process for casting Ted Raimi in the throwaway role as one of
Earle's
victims. Lynch has time for that tiny bit of casting but he can't be a bit more involved in providing better oversight when the season was spiraling down the gutter?

Reckoner

What's this from?

NY Times interview posted earlier

Wow, didn't expect Madchen could give info like that away

munchie64

Shits not gonna be straightforward that's for sure. Being honest, the only thing I hope they don't completely ignore that I'm worried they might is Annie.

Well... I think she's just being extra cautious.

But that said, I fully expect Walter Owmylegkneeian to be playing someone new, because there's no way I can fathom that a 25 years older Jacques would show up as a spirit or in the lodge, and I can't fathom how exactly he'd still be alive either.

I mean, unless with makeup he can still pass as 25 years younger. Maybe they're going to paint him as one of Bob's victims? Hard to say.

And as far as Mark and David not going back for a refresher... there'll have been other continuity people involved in the new series keeping an eye out for flubs, just as I'm sure there was with the book. Major changes will be intentional (if Annie truly has been retconned).

But just looking at Ben Horne's desk you sure as shit know that at least someone involved in the production went back and revisited the originals.

So Twin Twin Peaks. Maybe the Black Lodge has spread everywhere and doppelgangers abound.

Well... I think she's just being extra cautious.

But that said, I fully expect Walter Owmylegkneeian to be playing someone new, because there's no way I can fathom that a 25 years older Jacques would show up as a spirit or in the lodge, and I can't fathom how exactly he'd still be alive either.

I mean, unless with makeup he can still pass as 25 years younger. Maybe they're going to paint him as one of Bob's victims? Hard to say.

And as far as Mark and David not going back for a refresher... there'll have been other continuity people involved in the new series keeping an eye out for flubs, just as I'm sure there was with the book. Major changes will be intentional (if Annie truly has been retconned).

But just looking at Ben Horne's desk you sure as shit know that at least someone involved in the production went back and revisited the originals.

Good eye/point about overall continuity. Walter is an interesting pick, some speculated he had some twin running around but that'd be ridiculous unless they're plumbing the soaps well in that particular vein again. Maybe he's a doppelganger xD

Eh, it's a bunch of BS.

Lynch was more involved with the first part of the second season than he was with Season 1. If any period was effected by Lynch being distracted by Wild at Heart it would have been the first season.

With the second season, he personally directed 4 of the first 8 hours of the second season and had a major acting role in another episode. All of that was happening during the direct lead up and release of Wild at Heart. And a lot of the season's worst subplots were being seeded in those early episodes when he was still actively involved.

I think he just got frustrated with the network demands during the first start of Season 2 and stepped away as soon as he could. Reading interviews with the cast from the time it seems many of them, including MacLachlan, felt betrayed that he left them high and dry. I've been reading the Essential Wrapped in Plastic and much of the cast is incredibly frank about how awful the material they had was and how frustrated they were that Frost/Lynch were no where to be found. I think he has been packaging this Wild at Heart excuse over the years as a way to avoid taking personal responsibility.

Personally, I think Mark Frost's absence was the bigger issue. He was the guy who was actually experienced at running a TV show day to day and he was off making a movie during most of Season 2 and arguably had less involvement than Lynch. Peyton and Engels seemed to become the default showrunners and neither seemed experienced enough to handle it.

What I found truly bizarre is that evidently Lynch was a part of the interview process for casting Ted Raimi in the throwaway role as one of
Earle's
victims. Lynch has time for that tiny bit of casting but he can't be a bit more involved in providing better oversight when the season was spiraling down the gutter?

It's not. Many many people who played characters late on in season 2 say that David was never on set, and that they had almost zero involvement with him when working on the series.

As far as those subplots, the main problem has always been, I think, that they were never meant to carry the show. The problem with the awful run of episodes is that there is no main thread. It's just a bunch of subplots... many of which are comic relief in nature. Imagine if they were contrasting something else more serious in tone, and we probably wouldn't hate them as much.

Other than the utterly dreadful Evelyn Marsh stuff, and nothing in David's episodes seeded that nightmare.

If they hadn't had to abandon their main storyline, and hadn't been forced to drop what was meant to be the major plot to follow it, there's no way the show would have followed James out of Twin Peaks and spent so much time on that shit. It never followed Josie to Seattle, or Jerry overseas. The only other place we had ever gone was up the river to One Eyed Jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom