• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Empire fans...UNITE!

jjasper

I thought it was a huge disappointment. Actually was worried about Mass Effect before release because of how crappy it was. Luckily Mass Effect was an improvement.

I enjoyed Jade Empire, but the ending(s) fell a bit flat for me. Some of the companion characters are intriguing (Mad scientists! Little girl/demon symbiotes! Come to think of it, did anyone else think the demon in JE resembles Eduardo in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends?) and of course the sidequests are pretty good. Play your cards right and you can get a gang leader to marry a big dumb lummox.

"They call me Big Tian, cause I'm so big?"

"Yes, I can see that!"

Every game has its flaws. Yes, Jade Empire had some unbalanced combat. I didn't find it took me out of the game though. Sift through all the slightly cheesy dialogue, and I can't help but think "How can I stay mad at you?" That is, at least until the end which I found kind of uninteresting. (reading back, mike0513 is right on the money here.)

AFreak

Banned
I've got a question, Will Jade Empire on Steam run well on my laptop?

Core 2 Duo at 2.26 Ghz and has 4.00 MB of DDR2 RAM running Windows Vista. Only thing really wrong is that I don't know what video card it has, but it is a pretty shitty one since its built in to the mother board I believe(Its some ATI video card with built in something or other).

I'm asking because I'm thinking of rebuying.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
AFreak said:
What I'm really trying to say is: I WANT MY JADE EMPIRE 2!
Uh, look at the first few bits of the motion reel here. Don't remember that in the first game.

kylej

Banned
The only thing I remember about this game is this one side-quest where you fight people in an arena. The arena would load, you would fight monsters or whatever for 10 seconds then the world would load and you would have to talk to this one dude to initiate the next round. Playing the Xbox version turned this bullshit into the most excruciatingly tedious hour of video game playing that I have ever experienced. Fuck those load times.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
AFreak said:
All I see is prototype stuff.
No, the third video which is under text that specifically says "motion."

I remember never being satisfied with my dialog choices, you were either a complete wuss or an insufferable asshole, there was zero middle ground.

They had a good idea for combat but it was poorly implemented, you pretty much always have your partner sit and meditate so you could get the buff, or they would get owned, especially in a big fight, that's just bad design.

I loved Jade Empire, I had a 7-8 man audience watching me play it in college. Some of the characters were very memorable like the Black Whirl Wind. I was pleased with the setting, the ending, and the graphics.

I'm just thankful Jade Empire wasn't a botched job like Kotor 2 thanks a lot Lucas Arts / Obsidian.

Gospel Truth

KOTOR 2 < Jade Empire < Mass Effect < KOTOR

ethelred

I don't know if I'd call myself a fan, per se... but I did find the game pretty enjoyable. The combat really was totally shallow and mashy and repetitive, but it was still better than Knights of the Old Republic's combat, which was just downright crappy (sorry, but direct adaptations of D20 just about never function well when imported wholesale for video game combat). I liked the sidequests and the characters... again, more than Knights of the Old Republic's cast, which I found very unmemorable overall -- HK-47 (the character, not the poster) excluded.

I also found the game to be absolutely beautiful. The detail and color in all the different areas was very impressive to me. I just found the art style to be so great. And that contributed to a lot of the dungeons being interesting -- aside from the fact that a lot of the dungeons had a unique look and feel that set them apart from the dungeons in most RPGs (for instance, I loved the dam area, the dying forest, and the pirate's fort), the art style helped even more barebones and generic areas (like standard underground caves) come more alive. And the cities and villages were also really cool. I don't really care about the game's authenticity; I'm fine thinking of it as a fictionalized and adaptized version of the folklore... it was still an interesting setting to me, and I really liked a lot of the areas the game explored. And again, this contrasts with Knights; I found most of the locales in that game totally boring and uninteresting.

So I guess even though I don't think it's a super great game or anything like that, I liked it. ... whereas I didn't like Knights of the Old Republic at all. But Mass Effect? I wouldn't t place Jade Empire above that, I don't think.

Haunted said:
I want a Bioware RPG set in the Wild West. :(

Now that would be cool.

cuyahoga

Haunted said:
No, just no.

Jade Empire is still good (it's BioWare, after all), but it doesn't hold a candle to Mass Effect. Or any other Bioware effort.

I want a Bioware RPG set in the Wild West. :(
Like this?

Dipswitch

Didn't like it at all. Found Mass Effect to be far superior and I'm playing through KOTOR right now and I'm enjoying that much more than Jade Empire as well.

IrishNinja

so uh, quick question: if youd had KOTOR 1 & 2 and Jade Empire all dumped on your lap and not played any yet, which would you run with first?
please dont say planescape torment

Speevy

Banned
IrishNinja said:
so uh, quick question: if youd had KOTOR 1 & 2 and Jade Empire all dumped on your lap and not played any yet, which would you run with first?
please dont say planescape torment

KOTOR, because it's one of best RPGs of last generation, and if you don't trust me, check reviews, awards, sales, etc.

bartris

Neo Member
Loved Jade Empire, am yet to finish Mass Effect, must do before two comes out, but I just cannot stop playing Little Kings Story!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I played this through, and quite thoroughly I might add, last summer, and I can say that the Closed Fist path was a pretty disturbing experience, while the Open Palm was nothing out of the ordinary. Oh yeah, and the combat sucked pretty hard.

Oh well, at least I got in on the cheap. It wasn't that bad, just not as polished and immersive as I had hoped. Felt pretty rushed.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
For me, I loved JE, it was one of the best game played last gen (Kotor still is king though)..
The plot twist was nice, even though I saw it coming and the setting was nice (and the extra stuff you could do was nice also..)

However, what I remember the most was the music, this and Kotor had some of the best music last gen and if you ask me, ever in a game (Shenmue also have crazy nice music)

Some JE music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHYARoLPpDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD-QQHhQ6lY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piqc4IhKtWk&feature=related

These are the most memorable.. ohh, I have such fond memories of this game.. I have to wait some years to play it again because I think I finished it in every possible way and found pretty much everything.. (I think)...

Haunted

Shake Appeal said:
I'll agree with this, but it's still better than Mass Effect.

Jade Empire is also better than, say, Fallout 3.
kylelaughsatgaf.jpg

Giard

I liked it.
I think the general consensus of the game (it being awful, overrated..blabla) is because of IGN's 9.9.

Magical Chris

Neo Member
I really liked Jade Empire.

It had alot of flaws, especially in the combat, but I think Bioware took alot of big steps with it in the areas of storytelling and presentation.

I remember playing it when it came out and thinking it represented what the next-generation of console games would be like... I had a similar feeling when I played Resident Evil 4 and God of War... I think Jade Empire belongs in that company.

The combat was a shame, but I found the best way to minimize the negative affect of that was to simply play on easy. Not only did it make the combat go faster, but it made me feel like the bad ass martial artist the game kept saying I was.

I think Jade Empire is still my favourite story of the Bioware games. Bioware were coming off the back of the famous Darth Revan storyline in KOTOR, but I think the twists in Jade Empire were even more satisfying.

Jokes N Riddles

Neo Member
I really liked Jade Empire myself. Yes, it certainly came with many blemishes, but I thought the game had serious potential.

I think expectations were just sky high for it as KOTR created so much buzz. I wouldn't mind playing a second stab at the series so long as they took the time to really work out the kinks.

jtb

Banned
Poohblaster said:
I loved Jade Empire, I had a 7-8 man audience watching me play it in college. Some of the characters were very memorable like the Black Whirl Wind. I was pleased with the setting, the ending, and the graphics.

I'm just thankful Jade Empire wasn't a botched job like Kotor 2 thanks a lot Lucas Arts / Obsidian.

Gospel Truth

KOTOR 2 < Jade Empire < Mass Effect < KOTOR

Wow. Even though KOTOR 2 is only 2/3rds of a game, it still kicks the crap out of all of those games.

I'd order them more like this: KOTOR 2 > Mass Effect > KOTOR >>> Jade Empire.

Screw the haters, Bioware doesn't make bad games, everything they make is amazing. JE inculded. Honestly some of the response choices in that game made me laugh out loud. It's awesome, and I won't take no guf from nobody about that.

TeardropConnors

Neo Member
Started playing it again at the beginning of the summer...didn't finish it but had a blast. My friends kept making fun of me for playing because none of them were really that into it.

Boogie9IGN

I loooooooooooooooooooved Jade Empire, mostly for the setting though. My Buddhist monk looking character was such a badass and that cook that joins your party was hilarious with his constant bitching about his wife :lol

I made a thread a few years ago asking about other games with a similar setting but it didn't get many replies. I've only found Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. Any other suggestions (that aren't RotK/DW)?

cuyahoga

AFreak said:
Neither do I, but it could be from the PC version??
That's a possibility, but I swear I saw a gun there - something I'm certain Jade Empire PC did not have.

Top Bottom