• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

4 wins in a row won't get me a division up, however the following defeat is immediate division down.

What the fuck are you doing, game

MM is really freaking weird right now. I won a game in Gold 1 and move to Div 2. Won the next match and moved to Gold 2 Div 2. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes with the MMR.

BankyConan

Neo Member
Almost every match i get thrown in is against a 3 stack of Master or better players and they talk so much trash. I don't understand thrash talking 3 randoms who are below pro. You'd think they'd be respectfully and take the gimme win, but NOPE just crap the whole freaking game. Ugh.

The Batmobile is my new main. Maybe I would've gotten to champ last season if I realised its potential sooner. Damn it's a perfect car

https://gfycat.com/DependentInbornAfricanparadiseflycatcher

I keep debating the perma switch. It's big fat ass has some serious benefits, but I hate the 50/50's in it since you need the flip that step earlier and I can't stand the way it chips the ball compared to Octane. That said, it's the best car to play keeper since there's just so much of you to put the ball around.

GoaThief

Hating solo standard, so much for progress from last season being considered.

Can't get out of Gold 3... was around champion at the end of last season in that mode. Team mates scoring own goals, hitting me when I'm going to dribble, ball chasing, cutting in when I'm going to clear, etc. Utterly ridiculous. If the opposition had similar ranks it would even out but more often than not there's at least two GCs on the opposing side. Uff.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Dropshot damage achievement appears to be bugged for me, been stuck on 319/320 panels damaged for like a day now and I've definitely damaged at least one tile in that time :/

I've opened 2 Turbo Crates since the update hit.

Crate 1: Forest Green Roulette's

Crate 2: Hexed

A smart man would quit while they're ahead, but I know better.

so is it just unrealistic to get into this game as a solo player now?i thought i was slowly getting better, but now that i'm almost at rank 20 the game has been making things really hard. i'm constantly getting matched up against players well above semi-pro (which i understand, the game has been out for a long time), and it's just loss after loss, and it's rarely close. so now i'm in this cycle where my team immediately goes down (i'm not denying my part in this, but i'm also not a complete disaster out there), and then people just quit. i can't remember a multiplayer game where people quit this often. so then i'm in a position where i either quit, or suffer through the final 4 minutes or a game where we have no chance. at one point i had my win percentage to 50 percent, and now it's in the 30's. just shit game after shit game. even if i suck, you'd think i'd luck into more wins just based on getting good luck in matchmaking.

Pepiope

so is it just unrealistic to get into this game as a solo player now?i thought i was slowly getting better, but now that i'm almost at rank 20 the game has been making things really hard. i'm constantly getting matched up against players well above semi-pro (which i understand, the game has been out for a long time), and it's just loss after loss, and it's rarely close. so now i'm in this cycle where my team immediately goes down (i'm not denying my part in this, but i'm also not a complete disaster out there), and then people just quit. i can't remember a multiplayer game where people quit this often. so then i'm in a position where i either quit, or suffer through the final 4 minutes or a game where we have no chance. at one point i had my win percentage to 50 percent, and now it's in the 30's. just shit game after shit game. even if i suck, you'd think i'd luck into more wins just based on getting good luck in matchmaking.
Keep at it. When you solo queue you kinda have to read how your teammates are playing and work around them, but this game is best when you have a teammate to grind with. I'd say just focus on improving your play and ignore the wins/losses. They'll come.

When you get into a rut of losses, do some training and free play. Learn new skills and focus on getting more consistent with the ones you have. Then play 1s to expose what you really need to work on. 1s experience will give you something to work with in 2s. Then 2s will give you stuff to work with in 3s.

Not sure if you're mostly playing 3s, but don't be like me and consign yourself to relying on others in the chaos of solo standard or casual 3s when you're still learning the game. I wasted so many hours just messing around in 3s when I could have been getting better. Do some training and duels, then doubles when you're more comfortable.

Here's a subreddit with lots of training codes: https://www.reddit.com/r/RLCustomTraining/. Though I think the featured training in the custom training menu of the game has some of my favorites by Poquito: Ground Shots, Clears, and Saves. Here's a link to more by him: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/5siigt/pctrainer_the_ultimate_training_set_8_packs/

Made the mistake of playing Solo Standard again today...

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FJack-Nicholson.gif

Perhaps this time I'll finally learn my lesson.

Are you playing ranked? If so I wouldn't worry about the losses right now, matchmaking is still very volatile as players balance back out to their appropriate ranks. It should be a lot better in a week or two. Hang in there, practice and experience are everything in this game!

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member

In addition to the good advice above, I'll recommend GIbbs' Playing with Potatoes series, which you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Gibbs0o0 He's a champion-level player, but he purposely restricts himself to a simplistic style to show how effective fundamental positioning and having a gameplan can be at the lowest levels.

I'd also recommend that you start every session by working on a mechanical skill (and don't jump to crazy stuff like air dribbles or freestyles). Think simple stuff like dribbling, normal aerials, shot consistency. When I was your level, I stuck mostly to the standard Striker, Goalie, and Aerial trainers. I would do the rookie-level ones until I could reliably get 60-80%, then move onto pro and do the same, then all-star.

And something to help with your mindset: even as you get better, the game is constantly matching you with people at or around your level, so it can be difficult to see that you're progressing. For example, I'm at 300+ hours and my win percentage still hovers right at 50%. Sometimes I get stuck at the same rank for months before I break through to a new tier. But over the long-term, I know the time I've put into my game (both mechanical and mental aspects) has made me a better player.

Hope this helps, and have fun out there.

Ballistik

Finally got placed in all the modes... Gold in all of them. The matches are so lopsided right now with the season starting. I think I'm going to take a break and let the good players move up so when I try to actually rank up it's a bit more consistent. Right now I might win one or two but then I see those purple wheels and I know I'm in for a tough time. Although surprisingly I've beat a few of them and it makes me wonder how they even got to that rank.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Losing a Doubles match because of a bad ping sucks. My teammate had a ping of 180 for the entire match. We would've won this one with a normal ping.

Finally got placed in all the modes... Gold in all of them. The matches are so lopsided right now with the season starting. I think I'm going to take a break and let the good players move up so when I try to actually rank up it's a bit more consistent. Right now I might win one or two but then I see those purple wheels and I know I'm in for a tough time. Although surprisingly I've beat a few of them and it makes me wonder how they even got to that rank.
That's what I did when the Season 3 adjustment hit.

placed gold 2 div 1
@ platinum 2 now after a sitting
hate it because no one trusts, still getting somewhere though.

Yeah that's where my frustration is coming from. One match literally both team mates spent their whole time fighting over who would be perma-keeper. At no point did it occur to them that if they both know to do that at low ranks, they're probably reliable. The level of salt from some of the low ranks never ceases to amaze me either with so much shit being flung. I feel like a moderator trying to tell them all to chill and focus on improving their own game. I do miss being out of range of those types of players.

That said I'm pretty locked in purgatory right now with wins and losses levelling out. I want to at least get my rank to where I was dropped for Standard though before I focus on the rest. As much as I hate the mode, I feel it has its merits simply from adapting to the variety of strange play styles you find.

I did notice the GC title didn't seem to be so elusive for S3. I've played a number of them since the reset and while some clearly had the skill, others honestly were underwhelming compared to what I expected. There's so many people with the GC title now though.

Edit: Deleted the game. I'm sick to death of the community on this at times. Racism and Homophobia in spades all the while they're the ones fucking up and blaming you for not saving their pass to the other team. I don't even want to bother getting my rank back anymore after dealing with these people for a day.

Edit: Deleted the game. I'm sick to death of the community on this at times. Racism and Homophobia in spades all the while they're the ones fucking up and blaming you for not saving their pass to the other team. I don't even want to bother getting my rank back anymore after dealing with these people for a day.
Turn off chat?

Let's Talk About Server Performance: A Letter from our CEO

“Community First” has long been part of our mission statement here at Psyonix, and it’s a mantra we are always pushing to improve upon. The happiness of our players will always drive us to grow and influence the decisions we make in Rocket League, which is why I want to directly address the recent issues with our servers, matchmaking delays, and our PsyNet backend.

In regards to both backend (PsyNet) issues, and game server performance, we agree that the server outages and recent lengthy matchmaking times are totally unacceptable. We sincerely apologize to all of our players for the quality of online play, and we are focusing all of our available resources on addressing PsyNet’s capabilities and performance, and the quality of our game servers.

The number of monthly active Rocket League players has jumped roughly 40% over 2016 in the first few months of this year alone. While our player population continues to grow at a healthy pace, we need to do a better job at scaling up our systems and internal processes to handle this kind of growth. We are growing so fast, both as a company and as a game, that we are racing to fill new positions on our Online Services team (that's the group at Psyonix that builds and maintains our backend systems -- which makes this a good time to mention our Careers page, for those of you who want to come work on Rocket League with us.) We are effectively becoming an Online Service company, as Rocket League is primarily an online game, and we continue to grow in size and scope. Growing this team is one of our top priorities as we approach Rocket League’s two-year anniversary in July.

IMPROVING THE PSYNET DATABASE
Our Online Services team continues to work on the PsyNet database; if you have hopped into Rocket League recently and seen, in red letters, “Cannot Connect to Rocket League Servers” where the Playlists normally live, you’re seeing the PsyNet DB gone awry.

Issues with the PsyNet database started spiking around the same time we had a free weekend on Xbox One last month. We have seen more and more of you playing Rocket League online, and this has led to new issues that hadn’t appeared as we scaled our capacity up to this point.

Further complicating the problem has been outages and performance problems within the Google Cloud infrastructure, which we use to power PsyNet. Some of our downtime has resulted from unexpected slowdowns on database operations that led to a death spiral, but ultimately do not appear to have been caused by our own usage or overhead. At the end of the day, however, we need to own our own game’s performance. Here’s what we’ve been doing to address these issues:

Since the February outages, we assigned additional dedicated staff from our Online Services team to database stability and reliability. They are hard at work on changes like separating high-traffic features like Player Trading and “Scraper API” access used by third party sites from our core services. This will reduce load on the PsyNet database and reduce exposure to outages during peak hours. We definitely don’t want to keep you off the pitch on weekends or holidays.
We are working closely with Google engineers to investigate the disturbances to our database performance from outside our cloud instance.

MATCHMAKING SERVER DELAYS
Issues with matchmaking delays have only become apparent in recent days, going back to the Dropshot release last week. Our matchmaking server has periodically fallen into a problem state with a huge backlog of match reservations -- there are empty servers for you to play on, but PsyNet isn’t putting you into the servers fast enough. This causes the extreme search times being reported on social media.

As this is a new problem, we are still investigating the root cause. We have made changes in the interim to reduce the likelihood of it recurring, but more substantial improvements will be made throughout 2017.

DEDICATED SERVER PERFORMANCE
The last category of “server issues” deals with problems when actually connected to a dedicated game server. This is most commonly reported as in-game lag spikes or hiccups independent of the player’s ping to the server.

This problem is particularly difficult to identify because so many issues factor into a user’s experience with a dedicated server. Local connection problems can cause packet loss or an unstable connection despite a steady ping sample. Individual ISPs can have routing issues to one of our server hosts that causes unusually high ping that we have no control over.

However, these outside factors do not mean there are not legitimate issues at hand, and this is another set of problems we need to own. After reports of instability in January, we significantly expanded our hardware investment in Europe, US-East, US-West, and Oceania to reduce our dependency on virtual servers. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, a “virtual” server exists in the cloud and can be rapidly spun up in quantity to meet demand. While virtual servers are not inherently bad -- and many games successfully and heavily rely on them -- we weren’t confident in their recent reliability.

For context, we do not view virtual servers as a cost-saving measure, but instead as a way to scale to unexpected demand. It takes time to order and deploy hardware servers, and without a virtual solution, players would be forced to wait in long queues to get into an available server if demand spiked above our capacity.

We ordered enough hardware servers to satisfy demand above our then-peak population to ensure a good experience for everyone. For a time, this seemed to have a positive impact, but the concerns have resurfaced since our latest update.

We are addressing the issues with our game servers on a few fronts:

We are doing our own profiling as well as working with our server providers to investigate this issue further and seeking a resolution as quickly as possible.
Part of this profiling is completing a performance pass on Dropshot, as we want to ensure the best server performance possible when you’re playing our new game mode. Some of these improvements will be coming in our next patch -- a hotfix we hope to deploy in the very near future.
We are also working on improving our internal metrics to detect and isolate these problems more efficiently and rapidly.
Finally, while we have already invested in new server hardware in Europe and North America, we are continuing to investigate new hardware options in other regions, including Asia, South Africa, and Central America.
Growing pains are just that -- painful -- and we cannot thank our players enough for sticking with us as we continue to grow. Some of the issues we face will be addressed shortly, including those in our next hotfix; while other projects, like growing our Online Services team, will take more time to bear fruit. We thank you for your continued patience during this time, and as always, we welcome your feedback on Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter. We promise to do better by all of our players in the future.

Turn off chat?

It actually has limited use. If they were bitching at me would be fine since I won't give them the rise they want. But it can still affect the game if they target someone else. Last night some poor guy got chased out of match by some of the most toxic people I've encountered since the early xbox live days and I really don't blame him for quitting out but it still leaves you at a disadvantage. Turning chat off just makes me unaware of the targeting going on.

You're right that I could disable chat and grind my way out of them but at this point I'd rather just take a loooong break, especially since these sorts of people only seem to come back for new modes and seasons.

I really don't get why some of the words are even allowed though. Like, damn Psyonix there's some stuff that's worth censoring even with the censor turned off, like straight up hate speech.

jonno394

PSYONIX 'Evaluating' whether to bring Rocket League to Nintendo Switch

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...her-to-bring-rocket-league-to-nintendo-switch

"I think we’ve shown over time we’re a community based company, and so what we’re doing first is seeing what kind of impact that would have and who needs it and who wants the game and we’ll go from there," Dunham said. "Luckily the platform’s only been out for a month, so we have plenty of time to look to see how it’s doing and what our audience wants."

Makeda

Glad to hear they are sorting out the rather attrocious Asian servers... Now if they could only get rid of the damn 'Any' region by default it would be great.

I keep having the misfortune of being put in terrible match ups where my team mate has a ridiculous ping and can't hit anything properly, as a result I have to run around like a headless chicken hitting everything in attack and defense, then when i inevitably make a mistake the team'mate' gets salty.

I used to enjoy kicking the asses of people who couldn't understand how to choose a server region but tbh the victories are hollow as I'm not learning anything from the experience beyond "If i score two dribble goals in the first min or less, they might forefit".

I've enjoyed this game throughout the seasons but the sometimes woeful performance of my regions servers and the inability of people to actually specify which server region they want to play on is killing me. I think for my own sanity i need to drop this game

Soulflarz

Banned
>solo standard
>gets jacob from nrg
"okay thats not that bad, if I get through him I'm set"
>with 2 diamonds, my team is triple platinum

psyonix pls

>okay next match maybe
>denial esports

At least I can learn off these matches lmao

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Placed in Gold II in 2s yesterday, flew straight through to Gold III tonight, super happy. Really think I've started to click with my 2v2 now, honestly I think getting Overwatch and taking a break from Rocket League once in a while has helped me pace myself a bit.

EDIT: Took a break, played another game, promoted to Platinum I. Better leave my luck there for the night.

Feels like things are starting to settle down in ranked. I was having a pretty rough time at the season launch between teammates constantly quitting or getting stuck with people who didn't even have the absolute basics down. Currently in gold 1 div 5 solo standard and its nice to have proper matches now.

Soulflarz

Banned
Feels like things are starting to settle down in ranked. I was having a pretty rough time at the season launch between teammates constantly quitting or getting stuck with people who didn't even have the absolute basics down. Currently in gold 1 div 5 solo standard and its nice to have proper matches now.

Probably for gold, but things aren't settled a bit higher up until the top 1k is all GC. They're trying for ~1/3rd-1/6th as many GCs, which means probably 1k to start and 2.5k end of season (in 2s)

atm we have a handful of GCs. You're running into top 20 players in platinum or diamond.

Top Bottom