• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Crappy: KOTOR 1&2

HK's a better character in 2 than he was in the first game, though I really dug the monkey's paw thing he had going on there. 'Sides, ain't no character from Kotor 1 even close to Kreia.

ITT: OP finds game sub-par, defends his point by comparing it to critically acclaimed game released one generation (half a decade) later.

Deadly

No, they're taking turns. They're on a clearly defined round-based system. If I recall correctly, they're still on the 6-second round system, but they can gain multiple actions in a single round.

What semantics? It's clear as day light.

Simultaneous actions: All the characters can take actions simultaneously. Each character has internal timer between each action, called round.

Turn-based actions: Characters take actions one after another. One round is when all the characters complete one turn.
From Wikipedia
Combat is round-based; time is divided into discrete rounds, and combatants attack and react simultaneously, although these actions are presented sequentially on-screen. The number of actions a combatant may perform each round is limited. While each round's duration is a fixed short interval of real time, the player can configure the combat system to pause at specific events or at the end of each round, or set the combat system to never automatically pause, giving the illusion of real-time combat. Combat actions are calculated using DnD rules. While these are not displayed directly on the screen, the full breakdown for each action (including die rolls and modifiers) are accessible from a menu.

Davey Cakes

Never played KOTOR 2, but the original is one of my favorite RPGs. I probably liked it more than Mass Effect.

The game came out in 2003 and I didn't beat it until 2005, but when I played it I really enjoyed it. The opening segment in Taris really set the stage well. Oh, and Pazaak is amazing.

Took me something like 60 hours to beat. Worth the time.

Can we talk about what I liked about Mass Effect 1 and hated about Mass Effect 2?

Mass Effect 1 you played a Citadel Police detective solving crimes and interacting with the populous. Mass Effect 2 was a corridor shooter.

Recall

You have to think about when they were released. Kotor 1 is still amazing today, its the best Mass Effect game too.

Jarmel

Banned
Not really. Taris and the station are both pretty equally terrible and boring to play through. The difference is kotor 2's following areas are more interesting due to being better written, whereas kotor 1's following areas are just as much of a chore to play through as Taris.

The problem with the station is that there is nothing to do to break up the pacing of the game. It's desolate which might be fine if it wasn't for how utterly long it is.

Can we talk about what I liked about Mass Effect 1 and hated about Mass Effect 2?
Mass Effect 1 you played a Citadel Police detective solving crimes and interacting with the populous. Mass Effect 2 was a corridor shooter.

Let's not turn this into another ME1 vs. ME2 thread. Lord knows there are enough already.

So OP is basically saying that KOTOR fails at being an RPG and lauds Mass Effect?

whYldXM.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay well the non-lunch thing was delayed a couple hours.

So OP didn't like Planescape T. either...
I see you didn't read what specifically I didn't enjoy about it. I was quite thorough in explaining my personal distaste for things despite recognizing overall extremely high quality of writing. I didn't say it's crappy like these (aside from gameplay, but everyone knows combat in P:T sucks)

With that and his constant bringing up of Mass Effect
lol at using Mass Effect as a standard for good WRPG gameplay.
Bringing up ME was a matter of two things, interesting/appropriate conversations and scenarios, and responsiveness to commands allowing synergy of attacks. Both of these can likewise be demonstrated in Baldur's Gate or whatever else you want to point to. I just used Mass Effect because it is closer to what KOTOR seemed to be going for in feeling. You can play ME like an action game, but I did not, and did not expect that from KOTOR.

I guess he is more of a presentation+flair+gameplay > story+fiddling with your party kind of guy, which makes me wonder why on earth he plays old CRPGs and similar games in the first place
Flair and presentation aren't necessary in the sense of being modern. I hoped to clue people into this perspective by naming Avernum, but that appears to have fallen flat because people were so flabbergasted by me mentioning Mass Effect in a positive light.

Gameplay is very important. If you are going to stage a threat/conflict in the narrative, it ought to feel like one when the shit actually hits the fan. If it totally fails, then whatever the story wanted to make it out to be feels like a joke. Fiddling with stuff is also important to me, and I don't know what kind of JRPGs some people here think I am talking about, but in the ones I play, fiddling with stuff is very important to the tactics and success in them. For example, Megaten games make this look like a complete joke.

As for story, I guess there is nothing to be said but that I disagree with people here. I find the scenarios, interactions, and overall story to be boring. If other people simply like them, what can be said? We can try to get into specifics, but all it would amount to is "I thought that specific thing sucked" "Well I thought that specific thing was awesome" and we'd end where we started.

Dice, is it correct to assume you give far more importance to gameplay, balance and the like than characters and story? Not trying to discredit your opinion, just understand it a little better. If that is the case, I get why you wouldn't be able to have fun with these games.

You're right about the gameplay being boring. Like Snuggler said, it really felt like filler. The story and characters were so compelling, though, that I didn't care about that.

You're still wrong about the characters and story. And no, I'm not worried.
Answered above. Glad you agree that the gameplay sucks, though.

My advice is to never delete the top ability in the queue. Sometimes what will happen is your character will skip his turn because you cleared the ability.
If it skips the turn or does the move that was there anyway even if you fill in something different, that would explain a ton about the unresponsiveness. I'll check it out, and thank you for actually saying something useful addressing the criticisms I actually raised.

But you have to admit even if the twist was obvious its still a very compelling story overall with that and the Rakatta. The Reapers are very compelling as well.
The reapers were compelling in the first game, but changeup of writers at Bioware caused their concept to change multiple times with a ton of inconsistencies until they just sucked and the story overall sucked. If they kept the main story writer from the first game it probably would have been a great trilogy. As it is, the main appeal comes with engaging individual scenarios and problems. The menial tasks which make up the heft of any WRPG don't feel so menial. Other RPGs have done them better but at least compared to KOTOR I think ME series is waaay better in this regard.

Instead let me offer in the words of Jolee Bindo:
"You know the problem with the youth nowadays? They are YOUNG!"
I'm 29.

Tellaerin

A plot twist doesn't write an entire story. That's all Kotor 1 has in the writing department over 2, a single plot twist that is unveiled in 30 seconds of a 30 hour game.

There's also the fact that the writing in KotOR felt like Star Wars. Which is kind of important for a Star Wars game. KotOR 2 falls flat on its face there.

Seanspeed

Banned
Its been a while since I've played them, but I liked them both a lot. They had their flaws. Every Obsidian and Bioware game seems to, but I dont remember having any really significant complaints. Combat wasn't thrilling, but it was fun still and I certainly didn't have the problem of my orders being ignored all the time.

The 'morality' stuff is something I dont care much about, but the same applies for any game, really. My only concern was what it did to my character's abilities, not what it meant to the story or something. I went with what I felt was useful or would get me the best result.

Sorry you didn't enjoy them OP. But yea, I think you'll be in the minority in that.

Durante

There's also the fact that the writing in KotOR felt like Star Wars. Which is kind of important for a Star Wars game. KotOR 2 falls flat on its face there.
This may be true -- I'm no Star Wars expert. But if so, then what does the fact that the writing in KotOR 2 is much better and more nuanced than in 1 tell us about Star Wars writing?

Izick

If you count JRPG's then you like boring, unrelatable characters and nonsensical childish plot-lines thrown in with decade old combat systems that induce yawns upon thought. No wonder you didn't like the KOTOR games.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
...you had me until you compared it to Mass Effect. Seriously, the Mass Effect games are totally on the level KoToR 1 (haven't played 2 yet). Just about all that improved was voice acting and presentation so that it doesn't seem quite as silly.

This may be true -- I'm no Star Wars expert. But if so, then what does the fact that the writing in KotOR 2 is much better and more nuanced than in 1 tell us about Star Wars writing?
There's a part of me that started cackling like mad reading this.

A point I know in my gut to be true. But the fanboy in me has trouble reconciling.

zroid

Banned
I bought wholesale into the hype for KOTOR and pretty much got an Xbox primarily to play it. I ended up hating it. Xbox would go on to become my most regretted video game hardware purchase ever, but Ninja Gaiden ultimately made up for it (to a degree).

That was certainly the last time I would buy a console for a single game :\

See, the problem here is that you have played kotor 3 4 5 6 7 8 and 9 first (mass effect games and dragon age games)

When kotor was released it was pretty novel.

I still agree though, novelty aside the game was dogshit, I always just imagined the people who like mass effect never played kotor and liked it for the novelty value, Which kind of holds up since lots of people dislike mass effect 2 and 3 and hate dragon age 2.

Bioware makes the same game again and again through the EXACT same formula , they are all shit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

That Star Wars as always been about classic good versus evil pulp sci fi stories?

Mastperf

I actually preferred 2 over KOTOR 1. The first games story was more cohesive ( and actually finished ) while 2 had the better gameplay with more lightsaber customizations and better lightside/darkside powers.

syllogism

I was quite disappointed by kotor when I got it at release. Combat in particular was a huge step down from bioware's previous games. I don't agree with some of his criticism, but it's not that unreasonable, the remark about JRPGs aside.

Izick

Another thing is that while combat and graphics always get better with time, KOTOR and KOTOR II still stick with me because of how memorable the characters. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wrex, Mordin, Morrigan, and a lot of others from the ME and DA games, but almost every part of the KOTOR main cast is more memorable and interesting, even companions like Carth and Bastilla that a lot of people didn't like.

Dice

True, sadly true. One of the rare cases where you actually have to think before inserting Paragon or Renegade coins into a NPC.
Because when talking to her they give you shitty, childish conversation options no matter what and then she responds like a condescending bitch no matter what? Yeah, amazing character there.

Derrick01

Banned

You're probably right there, but to echo what Durante alluded to I'll take a better written story over something sticking to the franchise's roots if that something is supposed to have less depth or complexity to its story.

Trey

Because when talking to her they give you shitty, childish conversation options no matter what and then she responds like a condescending bitch no matter what? Yeah, amazing character there.

They give you binary choices like any WRPG (Mass Effect included) and Kreia rebuffs everything. She is neutral in the strictest sense, and it is beautiful because she values the person - people - and not the arbitrary moralities based around the Force.

The writers are basically saying the system is stupid and lazy and shallow.

Sotha Sil

Seems like you missed the point of the character.

If it didn't age well then it didn't age well. Some games do. Looks like this one just doesn't stand the test of time.

I thought I had the nostalgia goggles, but I easily went back last year and did a run through both. Still holds up imo.

I think it's severely enhanced by the fact that the voice acting was top notch, and everyone (Apart from the PC) is VA'd.

The D&D style combat and leveling is an acquired taste. I personally gush over making builds and planning out powerful combinations. Also, the Star Wars translation of D&D was epic.

E.g "Jedi Reflexes, +1 Save due to your force sensitivity and ability to read / predict events".

ToxicAdam

KOTOR gets overrated because it's Star Wars, it has branched conversations and it was one of the few great RPGS on the Xbox.

That's not to say it was a bad game. Just a good game with some significant flaws.

Also, the age of an RPG should not be an excuse. If an RPG is truly great, it will stand the test of time.

mileS

I'm pretty sure saying "Late to the crappy" is going to turn just about everyone on you before they even read the title of the game.

Dice

Seems like you missed the point of the character.
They give you binary choices like any WRPG (Mass Effect included) and Kreia rebuffs everything. She is neutral in the strictest sense, and it is beautiful because she values the person - people - and not the arbitrary moralities based around the Force.

The writers are basically saying the system is stupid and lazy and shallow.
Her wisdom wasn't wisdom, and making my character too stupid to respond to her didn't make it better. Forcing interpretations of events to be stupid so she can call them stupid is not a good meta-critique, either. It's an annoying and stupid gimmick that is utterly transparent and sacrifices player experience for a political statement to the industry. Fuck that, but even if going along with it, a lot of things she says are just her own paranoia and have no barring in reality. Nothing but her being a bitch to everyone.
And her reasons for being a bitch don't make her a deep character, just a stupid one who is bad at interpreting difficult realities she has faced and how to handle them.

Yasae

Banned
I'm trying to understand why you're comparing Mass Effect to these older games so much. Advances in graphics and combat are obvious over time as that's some of the only things that this generation advanced, but the story telling and writing ability is far below Kotor 2 standards. The morality system is about the same, if you want renegade/paragon dialog choices you have to be a renegade/paragon through the whole game otherwise they get locked out of the dialogue.

I'll agree with you partway. Kotor 1 is a really bad game by just about every standard, but I held that opinion when I played it in 2006 so it's not just a "the game didn't age well" thing.
So that would be three years after release. Gotcha.

Top Bottom