• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

YES

tumblr_lwig5sOxAq1qdzoq5o1_400.png

Grecco

Only MVC3 top 8 will be shown on stream i think, and we missed Masta CJ putting Chris G to losers. Womp womp

K.Sabot

Watched enough of this.

Why is this a major? The amount of effort they put into the games that go to evo is minimal.

And that is exactly why it will never be at EVO again.

Smash is a casual fun party game MADE FOR casuals. It just so happens that a community grew around it and has tried it's hardest to make it competitive.

Nah, *Brawl* is a casual fun party game designed for casuals (as Sakurai himself explained), but Melee is a game that appeals to both casuals and technical-minded competitive types on a higher level than most other games could ever hope to appeal to either.

Busaiku

Noel Brown is bitching on Twitter about how bad this tournament is. It's pretty funny.

Couple others are too.
For non-Smash players, supposedly they're several hours behind schedule, and are really cramped. Apparently they're sharing a room with casual stations for Smash and only get about 1/4 of the room (each for Marvel and SF).

Nah, *Brawl* is a casual fun party game designed for casuals (as Sakurai himself explained), but Melee is a game that appeals to both casuals and technical-minded competitive types on a higher level than most other games could ever hope to appeal to either.

I don't know. I think Marvel 3 does a good job of appealing to both button mashers but having enough competitive minded strategy to appeal to technically minded tournament goers.

Couple others are too.
For non-Smash players, supposedly they're several hours behind schedule, and are really cramped. Apparently they're sharing a room with casual stations for Smash and only get about 1/4 of the room (each for Marvel and SF).

It's just hilarious how many of the sponsors of this tournament itself are from the FGC, and the very notion of "the road to evo" being a mute point since the "evo" games are relegated to 1/4th of the room with no organization be it at the tournament or stream viewership representation.

Apex 2013...road to evo?

I don't know. I think Marvel 3 does a good job of appealing to both button mashers but having enough competitive minded strategy to appeal to technically minded tournament goers.

Saying nothing about how technical the games are, I think Nintendo's fighter has tons more casual appeal than Capcom's. Mario alone is probably a bigger draw than the entire MVC franchise roster spanning all three games.

Saying nothing about how technical the games are, I think Nintendo's fighter has tons more casual appeal than Capcom's. Mario alone is probably a bigger draw than the entire MVC franchise roster spanning all three games.

That's highly debatable. MVC includes Marvel, which includes the entire history of their biggest characters spanning up to over 70 years.

El Sloth

Banned
Other than the roster and friendly aesthetic, I think where smash really gets it's mass market appeal is from the simplified controls.

Yeah, I think Spider-Man is a bigger name than Mario.

I think half of the Marvel cast is bigger than Mario. Granted, not many video game characters can rival Mario, but Wolverine, Iron Man, Spider Man, Hulk, Captain America, Magneto, Storm - all probably make Mario their bitch in terms of popularity.

I don't deny Brawl is a bit more party friendly due to it's 2 v 2 set up. But Marvel 3 fits the bill of being both a casual fighter and a 'tournament' fighter. Easy. Yes, X-factor sometimes allows lesser players win occasionally, but the better player will always win 98% of the time.

It's just hilarious how many of the sponsors of this tournament itself are from the FGC, and the very notion of "the road to evo" being a mute point since the "evo" games are relegated to 1/4th of the room with no organization be it at the tournament or stream viewership representation.

Apex 2013...road to evo?
It's kind of ironic. This is probably how many folks in the poverty/anime scenes play their games. Little equipment, even less stream time, low attendance, etc.

Kinda freaky when you think about it.

I'm not trying to insinuate or start something so the mob can put those pitchforks away.
That's highly debatable. MVC includes Marvel, which includes the entire history of their biggest characters spanning up to over 70 years.
Still a no go. Nintendo's Mario alone is a juggernaut comparable only to something like Mickey Mouse.

MrDaravon

Wait, are they seriously 8+ hours behind on the secondary stream tourneys, or did they just scrap Marvel? Schedule shows it starting 8 hours ago, but I just turned it on and it's MK which was supposed to start 10 hours ago. The fuck?

MrDaravon

MK is getting streamed because bifuteki is a MK stream. The guys that run it don't care about Marvel or SF4.

That's fine, but does that mean the schedule is just flat-out wrong then? Also regardless of that, are they really so far behind they're still streaming MK which was supposed to start 10 hours ago? I mean holy shit, come on.

El Sloth

Banned
Wait, are they seriously 8+ hours behind on the secondary stream tourneys, or did they just scrap Marvel? Schedule shows it starting 8 hours ago, but I just turned it on and it's MK which was supposed to start 10 hours ago. The fuck?
The stream and the SF/MK/Marvel side tourney has been having problems all day. So yeah, they're waaay behind of schedule.

Notice how I said "on a higher level than most games" and not "on a higher level than Marvel vs Capcom 3".

Shit, I need to get this off my chest. To all the people using the phrases "e-sports" and "cyber athletes"... just let it go. They're not cool. They're not clever. I would stake my life that their utterance would only serve to severely undermine the credibility of competitive videogames to any listener who wasn't already on board with them. Just let it go.

CYBER ATLETE:

tumblr_lwig5sOxAq1qdzoq5o1_400.png

Notice how I said "on a higher level than most games" and not "on a higher level than Marvel vs Capcom 3".

Shit, I need to get this off my chest. To all the people using the phrases "e-sports" and "cyber athletes"... just let it go. They're not cool. They're not clever. I would stake my life that their utterance would only serve to severely undermine the credibility of competitive videogames to any listener who wasn't already on board with them. Just let it go.

I really don't think anyone in this thread is referencing "e-sports" or "cyber athletes"

What's being discussed mostly is just how much of a cluster fuck Apex has been to anything that isn't smash related.

Busaiku

No, it's been going on.
I think they're down to maybe top 16.

Top Bottom