• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Since this was bumped I might as well share my ribs I made during 4th of July weekend. Did 4 racks of pork ribs. Did 1 rack at a time for 90-100 minutes in the instant pot. Refrigerated them overnight and grilled them the next day. Here's the leftovers after people got done with them.

vgCFqb4.png

malfcn

Running test. Didn't expect the sealing cap to feel so loose. I tried to "force" it to venting a few times to make sure things were on properly. I figured it out, and can see where I "rubbed" the plastic a few times. Should be all good.

Back to pulled pork recipes.

norm9

Been a while since I checked this thread. Is there any easy, no nonsense chicken recipes that don't require more than like 2 ingredients?

Used the instant pot to cook two frozen chicken breasts last week. Came out cooked but wasn't very good. The amount of time needed to clean the bowl afterwards made the ease of prep NOT worth it.

ReAxion

Been a while since I checked this thread. Is there any easy, no nonsense chicken recipes that don't require more than like 2 ingredients?

Used the instant pot to cook two frozen chicken breasts last week. Came out cooked but wasn't very good. The amount of time needed to clean the bowl afterwards made the ease of prep NOT worth it.

you rapidly obliterated a bland meat with heat. like, yeah that's gonna be bad.
try this: https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-legs-with-herb-rub/

I bought 2 8 qts. Can't wait to get them.

consider some extra sealing rings for them. the 2-packs for the 8 qt's is currently sold out tho :( https://store.instantpot.com/collections/parts/sealing-rings

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You could feed like 20 people with those.

I would love to have 2 of them. Not only to have 2 parts of the meal going at the same time, but my GF is a vegetarian, so we eat different proteins. Would love to double up. Alas, counter space is the issue.

oti

Banned
I would love to have 2 of them. Not only to have 2 parts of the meal going at the same time, but my GF is a vegetarian, so we eat different proteins. Would love to double up. Alas, counter space is the issue.

Yeah, this thing is amazing. If you really use it heavily you also save space and money for other kitchen appliances.

randome

For great corn on the cob put the steam rack in, put corn in, add a cup of water, and put it on steam for 4 or so minutes.

ReAxion

Yeah, this thing is amazing. If you really use it heavily you also save space and money for other kitchen appliances.

yeah i just have the one 6qt and my family fights over the leftovers, which they always say "make more!"

i literally can't! the damn thing's almost full and it takes longer to reach pressure!

throw a bit of butter in there too

a couple pinches of salt instead might infuse better, unless you're dunking the cobs in the liquid before serving. which, yeah also do that.

I've been putting a little bit of liquid smoke in when trying to do bbq stuff and it really works. Made some kalua pork the other week and the smokey taste came through and tasted very natural. I'll have to try it with ribs soon.

Ashhong

try this: https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-legs-with-herb-rub/

consider some extra sealing rings for them. the 2-packs for the 8 qt's is currently sold out tho :( https://store.instantpot.com/collections/parts/sealing-rings

Is there a point to browning the chicken first if it's skinless thighs?

Also, I cooked some chicken earlier with just some seasonings and water. I saved the liquid at the end for no real reason. Can I do anything with that? Is that basically chicken stock?

Is there a point to browning the chicken first if it's skinless thighs?

Also, I cooked some chicken earlier with just some seasonings and water. I saved the liquid at the end for no real reason. Can I do anything with that? Is that basically chicken stock?

Use that chicken water when you make rice and it's real good.

99Luffy

Banned
Im trying to look for youtube recipes but this terrible cook flo hum is hogging up all the search results. Half her dishes are her making it for the first time.

oti

Banned
Im trying to look for youtube recipes but this terrible cook flo hum is hogging up all the search results. Half her dishes are her making it for the first time.

Why would you call her terrible? Her videos are super fun.

I'm sure there are tons of recipes on reddit.

Argyle

No water at all? I really don't like liquids in my food but always add water to be sure nothing burns or something. Maybe the tomatoes release all their juices?

Yes the tomatoes will release all their liquid, this recipe makes a pretty rich tasting (but watery, so it's more like soup than stew) chicken broth.

I regretted not pulling the trigger last November, missed that apparent $45 lightning deal during the garage sale but still finally bought an Instant Pot with the 8qt one... O_O I've only had it out of the box for a few minutes before I put it back in, gotta make some room and no point taking it out until I'm ready to use it which hopefully will be tomorrow/later today. Been intending on a pot roast being my first attempt. I think I have the recipe I want so I'll see how that goes.

Heh, yeah she came up when I was searching recipes too but I don't mind it.

Argyle

I regretted not pulling the trigger last November, missed that apparent $45 lightning deal during the garage sale but still finally bought an Instant Pot with the 8qt one... O_O I've only had it out of the box for a few minutes before I put it back in, gotta make some room and no point taking it out until I'm ready to use it which hopefully will be tomorrow/later today. Been intending on a pot roast being my first attempt. I think I have the recipe I want so I'll see how that goes.

You may have found the recipe you want to try but maybe for your second attempt I recommend this one:

https://www.kcet.org/food/recipe-pressure-cooker-pot-roast

I recommend adding maybe an extra 10 minutes or so to the cooking time because this recipe was developed for a stovetop pressure cooker which can hold a slightly higher pressure than the Instant Pot. The concept behind this recipe is that it deliberately overcooks the vegetables so they can be blended into the gravy for flavor and to thicken it.

The best thing about an instant pot is that whatever you are feeling that day, throw it into the pot, hit 8 minutes and you are treated to the best meal of your life.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Wanted to try some of these but what kind of crazy metric is a teaspoon or a cup?!? Like I have ten different sized spoons and cups. Why not simply use a quantifiable metric?

I may be overthinking this but it's annoyingly vage.

Wanted to try some of these but what kind of crazy metric is a teaspoon or a cup?!? Like I have ten different sized spoons and cups. Why not simply use a quantifiable metric?

You're definitely overthinking things. Recipes are needed for baking. Not for cooking.
Use your feelings.

What to the what what? You've never heard of or seen:

78be42b7-643c-4065-b8a5-e684dae3f1c4.jpg._CB310083649__SR300,300_.jpg

or:

3aab35f0-868e-4c66-8707-e590617db60b_1.656fe9d38756eae0b91c6b19f7128ae4.jpeg

And as already mentioned you only need exact measurements when baking as otherwise things don't rise right and whatnot. When cooking it's ok to just eyeball things.

sadly, yes, it is vague as hell. You can find measure converters by googling it. Eventually you'll just get too goddamn tired of converting if doing english recipes and just use those vague volume measurements.

so goddamn nice when a site has recipes with grams and ml tho.

99Luffy

Banned
I got one of these last week and just used it for the first time. I made japanese curry, which is something that I'm already familiar with making on the stove and in a slow cooker. It came out as the best batch I've ever made.

2lb stew beef, cubed
2 medium carrots, peeled and rough cut
2 small russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into roughly 2cm cubes
1 medium yellow onion, rough chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 large box Golden Curry (or Vermont, or a combo) blocks (I only used 6 of the blocks though)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
a little high-heat cooking oil of your choice
This looks really good Im gonna try it.

Has anyone tried pressurecookerrecipes's 'SECRET INGREDIENT' japanese curry recipe though?
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-beef-curry-japanese/

I wonder if the extra time to make that onion puree is worth it. They really hype it up saying its as good or better than a michelin star tokyo restaurant.

This looks really good Im gonna try it.

Has anyone tried pressurecookerrecipes's 'SECRET INGREDIENT' japanese curry recipe though?
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-beef-curry-japanese/

I wonder if the extra time to make that onion puree is worth it. They really hype it up saying its as good or better than a michelin star tokyo restaurant.

it is. Caramelized onions go *very* well with meat. There will be no ragrets whatsoever.

20min strikes me as overkill tho.

Ashhong

So I cooked some frozen thighs the other day with just some butter seasoning and water for about 15 minutes. They came out tender and juicy although maybe a little tough and stringy. Couple questions..

1. Should I try cooking more or less to help with the stringyness?
2. How can I get it to taste better? Should I fry it after? The thighs were skinless I believe and just tasted a little bland overall
3. Should I season the chicken individually beforehand? I threw it all in and put seasonings on top and it didn't really hit everything
4. I saved the water/stock from this meal. Should I use that as the water in my next chicken batch?

oti

Banned
So I cooked some frozen thighs the other day with just some butter seasoning and water for about 15 minutes. They came out tender and juicy although maybe a little tough and stringy. Couple questions..

2. How can I get it to taste better? Should I fry it after? The thighs were skinless I believe and just tasted a little bland overall
3. Should I season the chicken individually beforehand? I threw it all in and put seasonings on top and it didn't really hit everything
4. I saved the water/stock from this meal. Should I use that as the water in my next chicken batch?

I sauté everything before I cook it. With some oil, onion and garlic. Makes it taste way better.

stringiness is related to overcooking, yes. Reduce the time.
As the dude above suggested, frying it the skin will enhance the taste. Since you're doing it with frozen meat, can only fry afterwards, obviously.
Always mix.
If you use the stock, it'll enhance flavour a tad.

for optimal results you should thaw the meat, season it, let it rest overnight, then use the sautee function, then pressure cook.

If all you want is minimal effort, protein and flavor, throw frozen with spices, mix a bit, pressure cook, then pull apart and mix with some of the leftover stock.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Yeah - waiting on those to come back in stock.

I made 2 oversize racks of baby back ribs yesterday. Absolutely outstanding. The only downside was that it took forever to do the natural release. Way longer than 15 minutes. The ribs were cooked on the supplied rack under high pressure for 27 minutes. I'd probably shave about 7 minutes from that next time.

It also takes longer than I expected to get to pressure as well, but I guess that's a result of it being 30 percent bigger than the 6qt?

The ribs were pretty much melting as soon as you put them in your mouth.

Edit: What should I make for supper tonight guys?

I should consider buying a couple extra rings as well, Amazon has them in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1KP7YK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You may have found the recipe you want to try but maybe for your second attempt I recommend this one:

https://www.kcet.org/food/recipe-pressure-cooker-pot-roast

I recommend adding maybe an extra 10 minutes or so to the cooking time because this recipe was developed for a stovetop pressure cooker which can hold a slightly higher pressure than the Instant Pot. The concept behind this recipe is that it deliberately overcooks the vegetables so they can be blended into the gravy for flavor and to thicken it.

I'll look at it.

I had a simple recipe but still screwed it up mainly due to constant distractions also probably I should've spent more time with the manual. It still turned out mostly fine though I didn't sear the meat it enough and took the roast out instead of leaving it in after I added my vegetables because it called for "low heat" and I left it on normal, fixed when I added my potatoes and carrots which with the time set to 15 minutes came out good. A lot more juice than I was expecting however, yay pressure cooking instead of a roaster in the over. I kind of feel like I should just cut the meat up and turn it into a soup since it pretty much is already, heh.

Now that I've taken it out of the box and used it I need to find a place to actually put it.

n0razi

I just use it to make rice in 4 minutes. Its almost as fast as a microwave... just the cleaning part sucks

Ashhong

stringiness is related to overcooking, yes. Reduce the time.
As the dude above suggested, frying it the skin will enhance the taste. Since you're doing it with frozen meat, can only fry afterwards, obviously.
Always mix.
If you use the stock, it'll enhance flavour a tad.

for optimal results you should thaw the meat, season it, let it rest overnight, then use the sautee function, then pressure cook.

If all you want is minimal effort, protein and flavor, throw frozen with spices, mix a bit, pressure cook, then pull apart and mix with some of the leftover stock.

Got it. Since I'm going to be frying it up after cooking, I should reduce it even more right? I think I did like 14 minutes last time. Would 10 minutes be ok and then fry?

Since I'm doing it from frozen, is there a point to seasoning each thigh individually first or should i just throw it in the chicken water I am using from my last batch

Made Taco Meat for the first time in my Instant Pot, and I'll never go back to using a skillet for it. Just tremendous.

Got it. Since I'm going to be frying it up after cooking, I should reduce it even more right? I think I did like 14 minutes last time. Would 10 minutes be ok and then fry?

Since I'm doing it from frozen, is there a point to seasoning each thigh individually first or should i just throw it in the chicken water I am using from my last batch

Season the chicken first, for sure. Makes a big difference. 14 sounds like a bit long for chicken, regardless of whether it's frozen. Try 10 minutes, and then take its temperature after Natural Pressure Release (never do quick release with meat).

If it's gonna be covered in stock from the previous attempt, yeah, not much point to apply directly to the frozen meat. Just add to the water. Results should be largely the same. Fwiw with thawed meat the salt would help tenderize it.

(never do quick release with meat).

...why? ive been doing quick release since forever with meats and can't even imagine letting the pot slowly lose pressure, which would just make fixing the plate even more costly wrt time if it somehow remains undercooked (which isnt very likely, given how long a slow release takes).

Heck, if theres concerns over bits of meat flying off, that is unlikely to happen even if youre doing risotto.

Pickman

Pickman's Pulled Pork

Rub:
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

3-4 lb Pork shoulder, trim off the big edge of fat but leave a lot on.
A few good glugs of white wine or a light beer
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1-2 tbsp cooking oil (I use a canola/veggie blend or just olive oil)

• Cut the Pork Shoulder into 6 equal-sized chunks, (once long-ways and two times across), and then roll them around liberally in the spice rub until you get a nice coating.
  • Pour oil into your instant pot and turn on Saute setting to medium and let it heat up.
  • Drop the pork in, and sear it on all the sides, then remove to a plate.
  • Pour your beer/white wine into the pot and use a spatula to deglaze the pan, then turn off Saute mode.
  • Put the pressure cooker on high pressure for 90 minutes, put your pork in, and then pour the chicken stock and pineapple juice mixed up around it. You may need to kind of pour around the spots between pieces if they've made a meat dam between the sides.
  • Close your lid, make sure your pressure release is closed, and let her run.
  • When it's done cooking, throw a folded up hand towel over the release and do a quick pressure release, careful not to burn your hands.
  • Once it's done venting, remove the meat to a cookie sheet and turn your oven's broiler on high with the rack 1 step down from the closest to the broiler element and let it heat up. Shred the meat with two forks, taking out any excessively gummy chunks of fat that kept their consistency and spread the meat out evenly on the cookie sheet. Be sure to eat some pork so you don't torture yourself.
  • While you're doing the shredding, turn Saute mode back on in the instant pot and let it boil down the juice and fat left in the pot. After it's reduced a bit, use a big spoon or ladle to pour some of the juices on top of the meat where you've got it spread out. Don't use a ton, you don't want to saturate it, just give it a nice drizzle.
  • Put it in the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes, keeping an eye on it. You want the very tops of the meat to look a little crispy but not extra-dried out or browning at all.
  • After you take it out of the oven, use a pair of tongs to toss the meat in the remaining juices that'll be under it on the pan, and then serve with your favorite bbq sauce on slider buns or by itself.

...why? ive been doing quick release since forever with meats and can't even imagine letting the pot slowly lose pressure, which would just make fixing the plate even more costly wrt time if it somehow remains undercooked (which isnt very likely, given how long a slow release takes).

Heck, if theres concerns over bits of meat flying off, that is unlikely to happen even if youre doing risotto.
Quick release of most meats will make it tough, dry, and not give it the time it needs to rest. I always do at least 10 minutes of NPR for most meats.

Quick release of most meats will make it tough, dry, and not give it the time it needs to rest. I always do at least 10 minutes of NPR for most meats.

...have you tested that? because it *really* hasn't been my experience at all. Things become tough and dry if you overcook them, not due to a sudden drop in pressure, and overcooking is far more likely if you let the thing in the heat for an additional ten minutes.

heck, i'll even test it this weekend if you can't. Will throw a whole chicken at a time in there, exact same time and seasonings and compare. From previous experiences tho, the QR chicken will come out juicy and soft just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom