• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

MattyG

Banned
When will this be available on Switch? How does the eShop work with updating, is it just any time during the day?

Eusis

The feeling that you are building a Switch backlog due to how big Zelda is... People who think Switch has no games have too much time to play.

I will pick up Snake Pass once I am done with Zelda. This looks amazing.
It IS one of the driest launches ever. It just says a lot about Zelda that it can make it feel like there isn't a launch drought (come to think of it similar kicked in with the 360 once Oblivion hit.) More variety would be nice but, damn that game CAN carry a console.

Anyways I was thinking that if I checked this game out it'd be on PS4 or PC, but now maybe I'll go Switch for the aforementioned discount reason (you won't see a steep one on Switch most likely) and the fact it is a showcase for UE4 on the system... and as such possibly an indicator of what to expect with the likes of Bloodstained.

hawk2025

Played the first level on PS4 Pro.

It is most definitely not a 60fps game, and I'm seeing plenty of stuttering from the 30fps target.

Edit: It sure is fun as hell and looks beautiful, though, with amazing music.

Constant smile. But temper your expectations on PS4 performance.

hydruxo

Played a couple levels on PS4 so far, this game is awesome. I love Noodle's little noises that he makes when he's about to fall off things haha.

The countdown to unlock said 9pm PDT.

It didn't go live.

I am devastated! 2 and a half more hours until I can play this!? Such cruel torture.

hawk2025

Sorry to hear about that, but it does make me feel better about going Switch.

Think I'm going to rebuy on Switch if I hear the performance is a solid 30.

The 4K and crisp graphics are nice, but I want that portability if there's no framerate boost.

bumpkin

If the Twitter thread is correct, it's going live (on Switch) around 3am EST. I'll definitely be queuing it up to download while I'm at work.

Nintendo's website says "Available Now" on its eShop page. Such cruelty.

Skyzard

Banned
Watching this on twitch, looks like a nice chill bedtime title. Good music for it too.

Really leaning towards getting an nvidia shield for steam library support.

I heard it's just
levels though.

- not bad for $20, just noticed the price.

NateDrake

How long are the levels though?

Depends how you play. If you search and collect everything, they could take you maybe upwards of 10-15 minutes or so - depending on how well you manage to handle the snake and climb obstacles and whatnot.

Watching this on twitch, looks like a nice chill bedtime title. Good music for it too.

Really leaning towards getting an nvidia shield for steam library support.

I heard it's just
levels though.
Are they completely ignoring the embargo? Or is the game available on select digital stores now?

Looking forward to downloading this when it goes live. I was excited when it came up on the "What's New" section of the Switch last Thursday, only to realize the release date was still several days away. I'm ready for some old school platforming goodness.

Nemesis_

Tried forcing the PS4 Pro display to 1080p, but it still runs at 30.

Not sure if it's more stable or if it would run differently in a 1080P TV.

You literally go into the menu of Snake Pass and choose 1080p and it runs at 60fps. It's 30fps when you've selected 4K.

......😒

Played a half hour of this and Rain World. Felt more tense playing this.

That's not a diss towards RW, I just find the controls tend to make me grip the controller as if my hand strength will help me somehow!

I switched to 'Easy' controls and seemed to do better(named correctly then!). I felt like I was playing QWOP at times.

Ok I actually kind of love how it controls. And the sound work for Noodle is pretty great.

Edit: standard resolution mode on the PS4 Pro seems to be 60fps vs 30 in their 4K mode and it feels way better (unsurprisingly).

Wozman23

I started right at midnight, so I played for just under 2 hours. Got through the first four levels, taking it slow and getting all the collectibles.

Some details, impressions, and thoughts:
  • The mechanics are really unique and pretty intuitive. I'm still a bit clumsy with managing the 3 inputs: move forward, grip, and raise head, but I'm getting better.
  • The physics work well.
  • The level design sometimes has a bit of openness to it, allowing for multiple paths or solutions.
  • Getting all the collectibles in a stage adds a lot of challenge. Some took many, many attempts.
  • Time trials are unlocked after the fourth stage.
  • I'm also noticing some frame rate problems on the standard PS4, but nothing that's going to hinder my enjoyment.
  • The camera control on the right stick can be annoying at times.
  • Noodle and Doodle are charming.
  • The visuals, atmosphere, and audio are all successfully evocative of 3D platformers/Rare.
  • I feel like I'm gonna lose myself just experimenting with climbing stuff.
Overall, I'm really impressed so far. Whether I'm haphazardly climbing some hitched together bamboo, meticulously climbing a large structure, or just slithering from point A to point B, I'm having a lot of fun, all while enjoying the presentation.

mrk8885

Banned
Kinda funny did an interesting interview with the games creator last week. He was a school teacher (biology) but got himself notified first with spore and then later with lbp levels. Pretty cool.

Sumo hired him, had him experiment with an engine ( unity maybe?) and he made this prototype rope engine which eventually turned into snake pass.

Can't wait to play.

Wok

I'd recommend waiting for the 4c/8t Ryzen SKUs to release and upgrading both. Dual cores don't really cut it anymore -- the G2020 is comparable to the positively ancient Core2Duo E8400. I'm not sure what AMD's lower-end pricing will be, but I'd imagine you could slap together a 1060/480/580, 4c/8t Ryzen CPU, entry-level motherboard and 8GB DDR4 for somewhere between €500 and €600.

Thank you for the recommandations! 😘

robotrock

Banned
Kinda funny did an interesting interview with the games creator last week. He was a school teacher (biology) but got himself notified first with spore and then later with lbp levels. Pretty cool.

Sumo hired him, had him experiment with an engine ( unity maybe?) and he made this prototype rope engine which eventually turned into snake pass.

Can't wait to play.

Doesn't that guy post here

Sylfurd

From the gameplay videos, the switch and ps4 versions look pretty similar in terms of graphical effects. It surely looks sharper on PS4 thanks to the higher res and sharper textures, but shaders and lighting effects look very similar !

And it seems to run great on Switch too, impressive ! I really might take it on the Switch !

Top Bottom