• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon launches Cloth Map (Patreon)

Daouzin

Pretty hyped for this.

I might actually end up appreciating this more than his work on Giant Bomb.

I guess the same can be said for Austin. Giant Bomb seems to be able to find talented ambitious people. Can't wait to see who they hire next.

Real Hero

I imagine the initial conversation was similar to this at the Giant Bomb office when Drew came to the guys with the idea.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good luck to Drew. I think it's a pretty amazing idea.

haha, this probably spot on

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Wow, great idea. Nice note from Drew for the Patronage. I'm sure that's probably standard for this sort of thing, but whatever it's cool. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this!

Vinter

Drew is awesome, and I wish him luck with this new project. Easy decision to back this.
Unsure about the name though.

Nbz

Good on Drew, his Iceland video is among my favourite things on Giant Bomb, if this means more stuff like that I'm on board!

This is a good project. I think Drew is gonna make a lot of good stuff.

That said i'm not positive on the narrative that this will make people more... uh, i guess positive about their similars by way of demonstrating shared struggles. I feel that that was made with the perception that our contemporaries are lacking in humanizing people of other countries or ethnicities or minority groups. And i don't think it will work. It's easy and "correct enough" to say that knowing how someone on the other side of the planet can also learn to play Super Mario as best as our next of kin, but i don't think that translates to demonstrable change in our day to day lives. In fact, his work may potentially near a topic that was of some revolt a while ago, "white guy photography", the idea that a lot of photography about other parts of the world is done with no regard for the photographer's western, privileged background and how that privilege affects how the photographer digests and communicates his travels, resulting in a poor and often racist representation of the examined cultures. That is an extremely hard thing to avoid. I personally think that framing his work that way will be work against it, rather than helping it.

Anyway he deserves all the luck, Drew is good people.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hopefully he follows in the footsteps of Michael Palin and Anthony Bordain.

How much do you wanna bet when Vice named their site Waypoint, Drew was like, "Fuck, that was my first pick!"?

Was bummed when Drew left Giant Bomb but this is the best possible outcome. I was worried, given that he's primarily a video producer, he'd disappear behind a camera, but a full time continuation of his incredible Giant Bomb travel videos is a fantastic idea.

Hopefully he follows in the footsteps of Michael Palin and Anthony Bordain.

How much do you wanna bet when Vice named their site Waypoint, Drew was like, "Fuck, that was my first pick!"?

I was thinking "Save Point" but it probably would be too close. I still think he should have gone with "Scanlon The Globe"

Isomac

This is great! I can't wait to see the first episode. I had to pay money to see Drew's notes, I mean to support his new thing!

There's no one more qualified than Drew for a project like this. Those travelogues are a real tour de force.

Now how much do I have to contribute for him to bring the GB guys along?

komplanen

I am so fucking happy for him. This is most likely my first Patreon project I will support. I think the $10 tier seems reasonable, but I might bump it down to $5 if the behind-the-scenes stuff isn't worth it.

Cool. This kind of makes me wonder if his departure is the result of how stationary GB has become? Either way, I'm glad Drew is doing this. I may have to donate to this.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This will probably be the first Patreon I throw some money into (been considering it with NoClip as well).

It's oddly relieving to find out Drew will still be doing video stuff. I was worried he had found a job where he'd only be doing behind-the-scenes stuff. Now I can still get my fix.

Sabas

Banned
It kinda disappoints me that Giant Bomb can't do more travel stuff, but I look forward to see where Drew ends up going. Supporting this new endeavor!

V_Ben

Banned
This is the kind of stuff Games needs, documentary style travelogues about cultures. Approachable and fascinating to outsiders too. Rad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like this is what Area 5 tried to do with that Kickstarter... except they've had like 3 or 4 years and haven't released a single thing (afaik). lol

Spaghetti

I haven't been able to find any information about it if this idea has been talked about already, but is it possible to float ideas to Drew?

NightOnyx

I immediately signed up for this as soon as I saw it. This is exactly what I was hoping Drew was going to do. I love all his videos on Giantbomb, and his stories about going to other countries were always incredibly interesting. So I have a ton of faith in Drew that he's going to put out some amazing content on Cloth Map. I'm so happy his Patreon is already successful, it couldn't have happened to a better person.

dh4niel

Subbed. Drew always sounds so informed and passionate about what he does so I'm really looking forward to what he gets up to.

Zoibie

Man, this is so perfect for Drew. His travel videos at GB were clearly the stuff he was most proud of. Really looking forward to seeing this start up.

Yello

Neo Member
Cool. Great idea, but am i missing something about the name? What does cloth map have to do with games?

Top Bottom