• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 officially announced (with a logo only) [Up: Cayde-6 Toy Pre-Order Bonus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxxsoxx

Destiny 2? What a fucking stupid title. They're not even trying.

VoJbV.gif

Two Words

Please god no!

15!

My fucking god Raiding will take an eternity to get all the loot then right perk then right stats then min/max
Why do you want to forsaken us!

We alreay have to deal with 4 left side and 6 right side
Why add 5 more items to collect!

Primary, Special, Heavy, & Ghost on left
Head, Arms, Body, Feet, Class item and Artifact on Right

That's fucking good enough!

Before ghost and class item didn't even count!
They were thrown into the mix with artifacts to prolong the chase
More slots means that they can loosen the drop rates. The only reason that getting perfect stats is a a chore is because of the punishing drop rates.

Bungie could sell me two copies of the biggest edition of Destiny 2 if they would let data transfer between PS4 and PC as long as you buy both versions. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Will never happen though :-(

I'd buy it on all 3 platforms if I could login in with the same account across the board

Two Words

The reason that they likely won't have loot/progress syncing between platforms is that a lot of loot is going to be behind DLC and they can't have that be cross platform as well.

Koh

Why should wearing a particular pair of boots make you stronger or smarter or faster? It's an RPG, man. Equipment boosts your stats.

DPS is always going to be related to the sum total of your gear's stats. You're looking at it from a glass half-empty perspective anyway. If you have a low-level piece of gear that looks better than your currently equipped armor, then infuse it up to a high level.

I can't say I've experienced this in an RPG before. Typically stats on armor increase survivability.

Ultimately, I think it's actually the hidden mechanics behind light that bother me though. If my helmet said +30% DPS, I'd be less opposed.

Instead, a 10 overall light level increase over an enemy is +30% damage or something, with some soft cap. I don't know specifically because it's completely hidden as a mechanic... yet it has a huge impact on gameplay. That sounds like something that could be improved.

I'll cross my fingers, but in no way will this prevent me from buying.

border

If you stuck around and kept playing Destiny or kept returning it to it at the release of new content, then you can't complain because the hours played says you got your money's worth.

I think the people with the longer playtimes generally have the more insightful and more valid criticisms of the game than those that quit after a week. I don't think they are usually shouted down, but then again they're mostly criticizing in the Community OT rather than Gaming forum.

Destiny has the MMO problem, where it engenders such loyalty that people have to be incredibly fed up to leave it. And once those fed-up players leave, they regularly unleash all that bitterness, in both legitimate and petty ways. I don't think anyone with hundreds of hours of playtime needs to have their criticism dismissed out of hand, but it's worth acknowledging that such an extensive investment of time maybe warps their perspective in extreme ways.

The reason that they likely won't have loot/progress syncing between platforms is that a lot of loot is going to be behind DLC and they can't have that be cross platform as well.
So buy the DLC on all the platforms you use. They already had a system in launch Destiny that both:

1) Allowed character synchronization across different platforms

2) Locked items from being accessed on a platform which did not have rights to them

A PlayStation exclusive item could be locked out from being used on other platforms.

See, I think it would be in Sony's intetest to let you use PlayStation exclusive stuff on the other platforms. People who care about collecting will be more tempted to pick up a PS4 and copy of the PS4 game to chase those items not available any other way. Gun and gear envy are real things, but they only work when you actually see someone with something you don't have in-game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
More slots means that they can loosen the drop rates. The only reason that getting perfect stats is a a chore is because of the punishing drop rates.

They tried bumping us up from the original 7 to 10 and it was archaic and held back people so much

Asking them to give us 15 slots, then to fill those slots to the best possible rolled item would create a lot of annoyance to getting caught in a vicious ending circle of always falling short

The reason drop rates were the way they are and have evolved in Destiny is they had to keep content starved community at bay
If say Destiny 2 goes 15 items
They have to fundamentally add 5 more categories, designs, rolls, drop rates, rarity, etc.

They couldn't even handle 10 right, you want to ask them to add 5 more in

What most likely will happen is Destiny 1 was there playground to see what effects certain modes/events triggered level rises

Raids will always be end game, top tier
Strikes are there to get you to Raids
Nightfalls are your Dungeons remixed with modifiers and roll at guaranteed loot

They've learned the risk and reward factor
Tomorrow with new Destiny update, things are again changing up

Raids being reintroduced
NF new modifiers with Daybreak
New ways to earn loot quicker and stand apart from the sameness of characters matching each other

All the data being collected, Im guessing will be a more streamlined progression of loot and rate drops for 2
If they don't learn from all these 3 years, they will pay the price in some way

border

I can't say I've experienced this in an RPG before. Typically stats on armor increase survivability.

You've never picked up an armor piece that gave you +Attack, +Strength, +Agility, +Crit, +Speed? Those are all essentially damage bonuses under most rule sets.

Even if you were to segregate Armor Light from Weapon Light, you can't get away from this absurdity. If I get an awesome Sniper Rifle and then equip a shitty Rocket Launcher, the overall DPS of the Sniper is going to be reduced since using a poor heavy weapon will negatively affect my character's stats.

GraveRobberX

I'd buy it on all 3 platforms if I could login in with the same account across the board

If Sony 💰 🎩 exclusive stuff, that's going out the window

Can't transfer Guardians that may have extra items that might not be on the other 2 platforms
How do you even code that

Say PS4 get exclusive Strike and Armor and Gun, how do you transfer that to platforms with no access to it?

This is just second guessing, I mean if no money thrown Bungies way through Sony partnership most likely they can pull up Bungie.net make it more resourceful and be one stop shop
Take your Guardian on any platform, Bungie.net is the gatekeeper keeping everything in check

You know Sony gonna throw that PS+ funny money in truckloads to net something

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I never get this. If you left Destiny because of its terrible first year, you can't talk because you didn't stick around long enough. If you stuck around and kept playing Destiny or kept returning it to it at the release of new content, then you can't complain because the hours played says you got your money's worth.

Some people really don't like Destiny and that is fine. You don't have to assume they barely played it.
I think it's a fair criticism to call out people who drive-by post when they've only played the vanilla game for the first few months since the game has changed dramatically since then. It's even more ignorant when you consider complaint of character in question is one of the more prominent ones in destiny post launch. If you didn't play more than the first year in this context you end up sounding like an idiot which that poster does.

border

Say PS4 get exclusive Strike and Armor and Gun, how do you transfer that to platforms with no access to

You solve this problem by simply not having PS4 exclusive items anymore. It already fucked things up for PS4 players since Xur couldn't sell the exclusives and the PS4 exclusive strikes could never be in Nightfall rotation.

If Sony wants exclusives, make them Quests or PVP maps.

ch4fx_

Legend of Zelda 2
Halo 2
Gears of War 2
Double Dragon 2
Witcher 2
Super Mario Bros 2
Uncharted 2

But Destiny 2 is wack?
C'mon man, been playing games for 35 years and I'll never get this complaint.

This needs to be quoted more, very valid point. No one complains about Gears of War/Uncharted titles, but since Destiny had a rough launch, *shrugs* fuck it.

GraveRobberX

You solve this problem by simply not having PS4 exclusive items anymore. It already fucked things up for PS4 players since Xur couldn't sell the exclusives.

If Sony wants exclusives, make them Quests or PVP maps.

Well yeah, but Destiny showed Sony wanted to pay for certain things
They could've just got an exclusive strike or PvP map, yet Bungie gave them or got requested to put in weapons/armor (perhaps?)

We don't know, but with the 3 years played out so far, PS4 has had an advantage
It may continue, it may not, time will tell

I would like it to be all across the board equal, but money talks, and it's saying Exclusive to Sony

Please god no!

15!

My fucking god Raiding will take an eternity to get all the loot then right perk then right stats then min/max
Why do you want to forsaken us!

We alreay have to deal with 4 left side and 6 right side
Why add 5 more items to collect!

Primary, Special, Heavy, & Ghost on left
Head, Arms, Body, Feet, Class item and Artifact on Right

That's fucking good enough!

Before ghost and class item didn't even count!
They were thrown into the mix with artifacts to prolong the chase

The artifact and the ghost Ilv as stats were pretty stupid without coungting the stats drop and Light level being RNG

border

Teen Wolf Too
Look Who's Talking Too
I Got Five On It Too
Why Did I Get Married, Too?

Nothing wrong with any of this. Why couldn't they have just called it Destiny Too?

Crosseyes

Banned
The gunplay was best in the business as Bungie's pedigree has earned and I had my fun out of the first one.

Now if they announce some spaceship based gameplay I would be 110% in day one. I wanted so bad for the first to have another facet of gameplay built around the Long Night of Solace mission from Reach.

Two Words

You've never picked up an armor piece that gave you +Attack, +Strength, +Agility, +Crit, +Speed? Those are all essentially damage bonuses under most rule sets.

Even if you were to segregate Armor Light from Weapon Light, you can't get away from this absurdity. If I get an awesome Sniper Rifle and then equip a shitty Rocket Launcher, the overall DPS of the Sniper is going to be reduced since using a poor heavy weapon will negatively affect my character's stats.
The problem is how it is just rolled up into a single number.

Two Words

I think it's a fair criticism to call out people who drive-by post when they've only played the vanilla game for the first few months since the game has changed dramatically since then. It's even more ignorant when you consider complaint of character in question is one of the more prominent ones in destiny post launch. If you didn't play more than the first year in this context you end up sounding like an idiot which that poster does.
I played Destiny all 3 years and have over 600 hours played in the game. Cayde-6 isn't really a fleshed out character. He is a character that is the comic relief and is played by a good actor in Nathan Fillian. Honestly, Nathan is all I really get out of Cayde. He doesn't really have a substantial place in the Destiny lore because the Destiny lore has no substance. So yes, I see validity in saying characters in Destiny aren't memorable because they aren't largely just quest-givers that deliver some lines every so often during missions and strikes. I don't see how he or I come off as idiots for reaching this conclusion.

This needs to be quoted more, very valid point. No one complains about Gears of War/Uncharted titles, but since Destiny had a rough launch, *shrugs* fuck it.

Quoting for the original post you quoted as well.

The reason it's silly for Destiny specifically is because "destiny" itself is a singular concept. You don't really see people talk about a potential hero having multiple destinys..They always have one destiny and the film or book is about whether they achieve it or not.

The other titles quoted are just...Game titles. They're not repurposed words used as nouns.

The title is even more silly given all the talk of a 10 year plan and taking your character with you through all those adventures.

A new game and new character probably makes sense but Destiny 2 just sounds off.

I don't think they had a choice by the way, they probably had to call it that due to the reasons listed in this thread....It's still intrinsically silly.

molnizzle

Quoting for the original post you quoted as well.

The reason it's silly for Destiny specifically is because "destiny" itself is a singular concept. You don't really see people talk about a potential hero having multiple destinys..They always have one destiny and the film or book is about whether they achieve it or not.

The other titles quoted are just...Game titles. They're not repurposed words used as nouns.

The title is even more silly given all the talk of a 10 year plan and taking your character with you through all those adventures.

A new game and new character probably makes sense but Destiny 2 just sounds off.

I don't think they had a choice by the way, they probably had to call it that due to the reasons listed in this thread....It's still intrinsically silly.

Final Fantasy XV

Never underestimate the mental gyrations some Gaf members will go through to hate on Destiny.

The only thing you don't really see anymore are the gaf users with the classic "Destiny is a game for weak-willed brainwashed sheeple who can't claw their way out of the skinner box!!" hot takes; they've mostly all been banned.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I never get this. If you left Destiny because of its terrible first year, you can't talk because you didn't stick around long enough. If you stuck around and kept playing Destiny or kept returning it to it at the release of new content, then you can't complain because the hours played says you got your money's worth.

Some people really don't like Destiny and that is fine. You don't have to assume they barely played it.

It's an evolving online game that is constantly changing. So yes, if your opinion is that Cayde is a non-character that no one cares about, you clearly don't know much about the game past the first year.

So if you plan on talking negatively about a game such as Destiny, take a little bit of time to see if your critiques stopped being relevant two years ago.

If you know nothing about the game past the bad launch, you shouldn't be commenting on the quality or its characters three years later. You look silly.

bachikarn

They really need to stop giving strange coins as a Nightfall reward. I recently played Destiny after a while and was finally able to do a post RoI Nightfall. After struggling to beat it, I got strange coins. Now granted it was a lot more than they used to give but it is still a huge buzzkill

ZeoVGM

Banned
The thread for when Activision announces that Destiny 2 had one of the biggest launches of the entire generation -- if not the biggest -- is going to be interesting.

border

The problem is how it is just rolled up into a single number.

The sum total of all your stats can be rolled up into a single number in any RPG. Bungie simply makes that uniform and transparent because otherwise at endgame it can be difficult to discern whether or not a max level character is powerful enough to join your group.

The same thing kinda happened in World of Warcraft. How do I quickly tell if another max-level character should be invited to my raid? Modders invented an add-on that assigned characters a GearScore based on their equipment, and guild invites were often based upon your GearScore. Blizzard went ahead and integrated gear scoring into the base client, aiding them in the matchmaking process.

There needs to be some kind of quick, easy way to discern another player's level of progression once they have hit the level cap. Light level accomplishes that in a fairly simple and straightforward way. It's just a more granular version of WoW's loot tiers.

GraveRobberX

They really need to stop giving strange coins as a Nightfall reward. I recently played Destiny after a while and was finally able to do a post RoI Nightfall. After struggling to beat it, I got strange coins. Now granted it was a lot more than they used to give but it is still a huge buzzkill

Be happy you didn't get rolled a Ghost or Weapon/Armor piece not helping you in any way
Congrats on the 3 Legendary Marks!

At least coins you can burn on Xur for Heavy Ammo synths or Engrams or his weekly stash

Two Words

It's an evolving online game that is constantly changing. So yes, if your opinion is that Cayde is a non-character that no one cares about, you clearly don't know much about the game past the first year.

So if you plan on talking negatively about a game such as Destiny, take a little bit of time to see if your critiques stopped being relevant two years ago.

If you know nothing about the game past the bad launch, you shouldn't be commenting on the quality or its characters three years later. You look silly.
How do you know how much he has played? I've played Destiny for hundreds of hours and I agree with his attitude about characters in Destiny, including Cayde.

Blam

The thread for when Activision announces that Destiny 2 had one of the biggest launches of the entire generation -- if not the biggest -- is going to be interesting.

I mean I can see it happening just mentioning the game and a picture got it trending on Twitter.

molnizzle

The sum total of all your stats can be rolled up into a single number in any RPG. Bungie simply makes that uniform and transparent because otherwise at endgame it can be difficult to discern whether or not a max level character is powerful enough to join your group.

The same thing kinda happened in World of Warcraft. How do I quickly tell if another max-level character should be invited to my raid? Modders invented an add-on that assigned characters a GearScore based on their equipment, and guild invites were often based upon your GearScore. Blizzard went ahead and integrated gear scoring into the base client, aiding them in the matchmaking process.

There needs to be some kind of quick, easy way to discern another player's level of progression once they have hit the level cap. Light level accomplishes that in a fairly simple and straightforward way. It's just a more granular version of WoW's loot tiers.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Two Words

I don't really care if a player's gear puts them at 399 or 397. It makes for an incredibly boring gear-check. I'd rather have equipment that can be specced in certain ways to greatly adapt play style. Destiny has great gunplay, but far too much of the gameplay revolves around ADS everything. I want to see glass cannon builds, kiting builds, abel-catching tank builds, healer builds, DOT builds, etc.. Simply slapping on the highest single number gear you have to pass a gear-check is boring.

I thought Destiny and the sequels were both part of the ten year plan. It was always supposed to be Destiny, Destiny expansion, Destiny 2, Destiny 2 expansion, Destiny 3, Destiny 3 expansion, Destiny 4, Destiny 4 expansion.

The plan got weird as soon as you got a second expansion to Destiny

I suspect 3 full Destiny games and each having 2 expansions per release over that 10 year plan.

vort3x

I hope they fix the rng in the 2nd game. Also balance out the characters more. Them giving the Warlock op moves is what killed the game for me, and getting 15 no land beyonds in a row. Yeah that. The final slap was nerfing the hunter while simultaneously buffing every warlock trait. I said good bye and never looked back. Never bought the last dlc because of it and I've never been happier.

Destiny 2 will be a wait and see for me. If I see more of the same rng bullshit and unbalanced characters then I won't bother.

Lom1lo

Yeah their Warlock fetish has to stop. Best subclasses, best exotics. Its not even close. I hope they make every awesome this time.

Svafnir

Yeah.. no one is ragging on them for putting a 2 like every other game in the world does. "Destiny 2" is just funny because of what the word actually means.

Either way, I'm excited. Call it Destiny One for all I care, names don't matter.

Yeah their Warlock fetish has to stop. Best subclasses, best exotics. Its not even close. I hope they make every awesome this time.
I mean sunbreaker was largely considered overpowered for a long ass time and defender is still one of the strongest pve subclasses in the game. Hunters same with gg and arc blade. warlock might be the meta right now but it's gonna shift just like every other time it does.

It'll be interesting as I think we'll get a bit of both. I think there's a strong chance physical units will be down from Destiny 1 causing lots of "doom" posts even though I expect total units to be substantially higher. Destiny 2 will have a HUGE digital ratio

molnizzle

I don't really care if a player's gear puts them at 399 or 397. It makes for an incredibly boring gear-check. I'd rather have equipment that can be specced in certain ways to greatly adapt play style. Destiny has great gunplay, but far too much of the gameplay revolves around ADS everything. I want to see glass cannon builds, kiting builds, abel-catching tank builds, healer builds, DOT builds, etc.. Simply slapping on the highest single number gear you have to pass a gear-check is boring.

Even with diversity in builds, a game with gear progression will always have gear checks. That's like the entire point of having customizable gear slots in addition to swappable skill trees. Gear progression only exists to facilitate gear checks. Every RPG with gear since the dawn of time has had gear checks. That's just part of being a game with gear progression.

GraveRobberX

Are we heading into MOBA territory now?

I would like if we could branch out our Guardian classes into roles that fit the games needs
What your asking for us to throw out numerical values to be replaced by certain stats/abilities governing over
Almost skill tree based
Which takes us into Borderlands territory where even there, LEVELS MATTER!

There's no escaping levels
Someway, Somehow those numbers need to be reflected to gauge what your status is in the game

How the hell do you go about making a Glass Canon Warlock
You'll need gear that correlates to objectives that have certain values you need to be at or go over to play them
You can't just slap on certain specced gear with obtuse builds and go along the way in thinking no leveling required and get away with it

Two Words

Even with those diversity in builds, a game with gear progression will always have gear checks. That's like the entire point of having customizable gear slots in addition to swappable skill trees. Gear progression only exists to facilitate gear checks. Every RPG with gear since the dawn of time has had gear checks. That's just part of being a game with gear progression.
I get that is a part of it, but turning it into simply a single number calculation is just so dull. A glass cannon can pass a gear check by putting as much of its equipment into boosting its attack, a tank can do the opposite, and a healer can put it into abilities. This would allow for synergy between teammates instead of teammates largely playing the same roles.

border

Any game that revolves around anonymous grouping is going to need some kind of At-A-Glance way to evaluate other characters. GearScore and Light Level accomplish that pretty well, at least as a baseline way of separating the scrubs from the Elite.

I think the next level of this would be some kind of intuitive, detailed stat tracking. How many times has a player successfully held the Relic against Atheon/Templar? How many times has a player wielded the sword against Crota? How often has a player been Split Between Worlds in a successful Oryx run? I would love it if there was an At-A-Glance way to judge someone's actual expertise and experience, because it's really not that hard for a scrub to max out their light level. Just because someone has nearly maxed out their Light doesn't mean they are necessarily a solid addition to your raid group.

I would love it if the game had encounters that required people to play very specific roles (tank, kiter, healer, AOE'er), but you have to consider that very few people complete the raids even within the very broad framework of classes and specs we have now. If encounters are designed around having a specific class with a specific build, then even less people are going to be able to complete and enjoy the raids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom