• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Review thread

derFeef

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/18/hitman-absolution-reviews-begin-get-all-the-scores-here/

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
OPM – 9/10
Eurogamer – 7/10
Videogamer – 5/10
Joystiq – 4/5
Gamespot – 7.5/10
NowGamer – 8/10
CVG – 9/10
God Is A Geek – 8/10
Kotaku – ‘Yes’
Game Informer 8.8/10
Gametrailers – 6.9/10
OXM – 9/10
Xbox 360 Achievements – 83/100
IGN – 9/10
Shacknews
Duimschroef – 9/10
Eurogamer.cz – 8/10
PureSophistry – 9/10
VicioJuegos (Spanish) – 91/100
Playfront (German) – 9/10
Gamesradar - 4.5/5
DigitalSpy - 4/5
PC Gamer US - 66
Edge - 7

edit: Removed the quotes,...

I think the RPS review is the one people should read first.

Clearly there's some good Hitman in this game but it's massively hampered by concentration on story.

It also seems this has been consoled. The cutting of levels into pieces is an awful technical oversight that is heavily detrimental to the game design.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Adam Sessler's review is up.

Gave it a: "Buy it"

AHA-Lambda

Clearly there's some good Hitman in this game but it's massively hampered by concentration on story.

It also seems this has been consoled. The cutting of levels into pieces is an awful technical oversight that is heavily detrimental to the game design.

But every other Hitman game except the first has been on console and the design has been consistent across versions, so what the bell does that mean?

seems good, it's not a big 4A title with trillions of marketing behind it an 8+ average means is a really good game

wut. They spent a mint on advertising, it's definitely a game targeting the AAA market. Subsequently, the fact that quite a few people are dissenting from the 9s and 10s is an indication of a shit game.

KlotePino

Just read through the RPS review and it really bummed out. Funny how IO misenterpreted or just deliberately went in another direction from all it's fans. I understand it's to chase the CoD type of money and audience and in some way I can't really blame them, Hitman is pretty hard game to get into and requires patience which a large portion of the gaming audience doesn't but have. But still...Hitman's formula definitely could've been shaken up a little but giving 47 a "meaningful" purpose and a story not only severely limits the level design and ways to kill someone but apparently doesn't lead to any meaningful connection to him. I wonder if IO suddenly grew a conscience and was scared of backlash if 47 is just a killer for money.

it hasn't been consolised. it's caught in the middle of being true to its roots but also trying to attract new players by simplifying aspects.

the reviews are in line with what I would rate the game. it's good, just don't buy it expecting it to be a hitman game in the truest sense, but also don't expect it to be consolised or conviction'd. it's neither, it's caught in a strange in-between where it tries to cater to everyone but doesn't fully pull it off.

it hasn't been consolised. it's caught in the middle of being true to its roots but also trying to attract new players by simplifying aspects.

the reviews are in line with what I would rate the game. it's good, just don't buy it expecting it to be a hitman game in the truest sense, but also don't expect it to be consolised or conviction'd. it's neither, it's caught in a strange in-between where it tries to cater to everyone but doesn't fully pull it off.

I'm not talking about streamlining of mechanics (although it appears this has happened too), more the level sizes and very strange checkpoint system which does not remember what you did prior to dying, which I'll warrant is not a design choice, more a technical limitation enforced by designing your engine around the limitations of consoles (and the poor design of the engine, of course - not saying a better designed engine couldn't fix this). Hope I'm proven wrong with a patch.

AHA-Lambda

I'm not talking about streamlining of mechanics (although it appears this has happened too), more the level sizes and very strange checkpoint system which does not remember what you did prior to dying, which I'll warrant is not a design choice, more a technical limitation enforced by designing your engine around the limitations of consoles (and the poor design of the engine, of course - not saying a better designed engine couldn't fix this). Hope I'm proven wrong with a patch.

No that's just bad design not a fault of consoles.

blood money ran fine on the 360. the things you mention are design choices rather any limitations because of consoles. that's just my opinion and it might be wrong, but most of the changes are more of a design choice than ones that were demanded because of their focus on consoles.

the chinatown level for example, pushes so many more npcs than any previous hitman game I've played and is open with various routes throughout the level. it's not as big as some of the levels in blood money, but it's doing a lot more in terms of characters on screen and other technical stuff.

Trigunner

It sounds like they butchered Hitman so they could have a story and character depth, which aren't needed in these games. There's nothing else quite like this series, and they had to fuck it up.

No that's just bad design not a fault of consoles.

It is bad design. But it's bad design necessitated by their need to attract console gamers with pretty graphix at the expense of good game design. They're in the business of selling games and they thought these design limitations a necessary offset for getting in with the triple-A purchase only crowd.

legacyzero

Banned
Seems some of those reviewers didn't get their shipments of Mountain Dew/Dorritos.

Welp. I certainly feel a bit better for snagging this for $33 on GMG.

Xater

RPS and Gametrailers review tell me I should not get this at full price. Will get once it's around £15.

derFeef

Funny how people cherry-pick the low-score and harsh reviews, but I can't say I am delighted by them, I can see why someone might hate certain aspects of it.

Because it's comprehensive and is written well. You will not get that from the likes of IGN who often copy-paste the ad material sent to them by the publisher and throw in a few adjectives.

It's also been assessed by someone who can provide context on the series for other fans of the series.

Funny how people cherry-pick the low-score and harsh reviews, but I can't say I am delighted by them, I can see why someone might hate certain aspects of it.

Probably because most of the reviews praising it is from none English sites and sites that are considered shit (IGN and official console mags). RPS has always been one of the most respected sites when it comes to reviews on GAF.

Hindle

Banned
iOS incompetence is amazing, they couldn't even get this right. I'm playing it at the moment abd it's like do they not understand or something.

Uthred

Because it's comprehensive and is written well. It's been assessed by someone who can provide context on the series for other fans of the series.

It's not much more comprehensive than some of the more even handed reviews from other respected sources (e.g. Eurogamer, CVG, etc.) it is however significantly more negative. Recommending something so negative as a "starting point" seems like poor advice thats going to skew peoples perception of the game. Surely starting with an average review and then looking at a very positive one and a very negative one (e.g. the RPS one) would provide a more balanced perspective on the game and thats what we want people to have right?

There's nothing wrong in reading reviews from a trusted source.

Besides, the RPS review is very well written and puts the game into the series' context.

Which is everything fans need to hear: how the game fares against other entries in the brand.

Top Bottom