• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

Does anyone else have an issue where this game automatically runs as though it is being played in big picture mode, despite not being in big picture mode when starting it up?

derFeef

This game is weirdly bright on my PC. Even on the lowest gamma setting it's still too bright. I had the exact opposite problem with the first game where I could not get rid of the black crush. Great.

Also why does games like this always have hardcoded keys for menu's? I have my custom key setting which I use for every game since forever but with this some keys are hardcoded in menus like the projector.
I can't use all of the options and I need to switch to a controller...

0utlaw

Neo Member
i´m almost finished with the game and the shutter was gone after chapter 3.
at least i think so or just got used to it.

anyone else game crashed randomly before save points ?
i had two "tew2.exe stopped working"

nkarafo

Are you sure your tv/monitor is at 50hz while playing? Is your framerate always 50 fps in the ingame framerate counter? I can't imagine the reason for your problem.
Yes, i do this setup for other games and it works, just not with this game, at least on Windows 7.

On Windows 10 + older drivers it behaves much better but i have it locked at 30.

It's true. [BThe game could downsample but at the end will show as output the desktop resolution without the hability to modify the refreshrate. You can try to alt+tab out of the game and your desktop will be unchanged. Then try to downsample in full screen mode and you will see the desktop at a different resolution.

You are arguing against the main feature of borderless mode.

Apologies I did a quick check before my last post, but I just went under the desktop resolution and the screen shrunk so I assumed the game and desktop resolutions were independent. I also could have swore my screenshots were 1440p. You can run your desktop in the desired resolution though and get the benefits of borderless still.

I don't understand what you are getting at with refresh rate. Refresh rate is independent of in game framerates in fullscreen or borderless as far as I can tell.

i´m almost finished with the game and the shutter was gone after chapter 3.
at least i think so or just got used to it.

anyone else game crashed randomly before save points ?
i had two "tew2.exe stopped working"

I thought I was out of the stuttering ghetto going into Chapter 4, but it came back with a vengeance. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Right well I figured I'd give it a go with the mindset I'd refund it if it's awful and well, it's not great that's for sure.

I'm getting 40 - 60fps on LOW preset at 1080p with a GTX 970 heavily overclocked, i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz, 16GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz, installed on a SSD. Nvidia 387.92. The game just never feels smooth, even simply panning the camera feels so choppy as it causes the frame rate to fluctuate wildly. Even on the lowest preset with absolutely every option off I can't hit 60fps stable. The game needs some serious patching.

UrbanRats

I just capped at 30.

Everything on low, sub 1080p, and still doesnt hold rock solid 60fps in some areas, with a 970.
Kind of silly.

J3nga

Right well I figured I'd give it a go with the mindset I'd refund it if it's awful and well, it's not great that's for sure.

I'm getting 40 - 60fps on LOW preset at 1080p with a GTX 970 heavily overclocked, i5 3570k @ 4.3GHz, 16GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz, installed on a SSD. Nvidia 387.92. The game just never feels smooth, even simply panning the camera feels so choppy as it causes the frame rate to fluctuate wildly. Even on the lowest preset with absolutely every option off I can't hit 60fps stable. The game needs some serious patching.

Your GPU is 3+ yo, although the game is not a looker, you shouldn't expect that much out of it.

Has Tango acknowledged this at all? I literally finished Chapter 1 and refuse to keep playing until there's an update. I didn't spend $60 to play it in this state. Such bullshit.

Kildrek

I5 7600k, 8gb ddr4, gtx 1080 ti

When the game is set to 60fps, it stutters but doesn’t drop frame rate below 60 according to my MSI afterburner. When I disable frame lock, I get 90-110 frames constant with a few dips to 70, but never below 60 and no stuttering.

The game is weird

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Your GPU is 3+ yo, although the game is not a looker, you shouldn't expect that much out of it.

Please, don't be silly. A GTX 970 is still a fantastic card for 60fps/1080p, hell in most games I reach 100+fps for that 144Hz sweet spot, and that's usually on high preset, not low. Fact is this game runs like shit and needs work, it has nothing to do with my hardware.

Zeneric

Please, don't be silly. A GTX 970 is still a fantastic card for 60fps/1080p, hell in most games I reach 100+fps for that 144Hz sweet spot, and that's usually on high preset, not low. Fact is this game runs like shit and needs work, it has nothing to do with my hardware.

This. 970 is still a good card.

I'm new with PC gaming over the last year or so but I learned something new with this game. I have a 4K TV that my laptop is hooked up to, so by default I have my system set to 4K resolution. With that, no matter what I set this game to, whether it be 4K or 1080p, Ultra settings or Low settings, I couldn't get anything beyond 28-36 FPS anywhere in the game. I then closed the game and changed my actual laptop setting to 1080p, relaunched and now I'm at 70-90 fps with Ultra settings at 1080p.

I never knew that would make a difference, I thought that if I changed the resolution and settings in game, it wouldn't be affected by anything outside the game like that. Also when I had the laptop set to 4K, 1080 in game was totally bright and washed out with grays instead of blacks, and now that I changed it, 1080 looks really nice with proper blacks.

I'm sure this is all old news for everyone else but for me... The More You Know! :)

Gbraga

Use the game's 30fps mode, put it on the highest settings (or close to it, though Ultra DoF is less demanding than High DoF) and just forget about it.

Changing settings and even resolution seems to do jack shit to reach a stable 60fps. Either you're one of the lucky ones or you're not, doesn't seem like changing anything on your end can help with this.

If they patch it and it's easier to keep 60fps, yay, if not, it's not like there's any other choice at the moment.

I have a 970, i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz on a 1440p monitor with Gsync and can't find a balance between solid fps and not having the game look like shit. Any setting recommendations?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been fiddling some more and even at 720p, low preset, with everything disabled 60fps without dips isn't possible, that's crazy. I've dropped down to 900p as it makes the experiance a lot more stable, and choppy gameplay is more distracting than a softer image for me. I'm hitting 60fps a lot of the time now.

Fun observation regarding my GPU OC, I have 3 profiles I use, default, every day OC and this is a shit port OC which I only bring out for special occasions like this and I tend to gain between 10 - 15fps going from default to shit port profile but in TEW2 I only gain 3fps. GPU usage is low too, at around 60 - 70%.

Shit port aside, the game is actually pretty damn good.

MaLDo

The game, as every other ID tech 5 game, is sensitive to other processess running in the background or using disk bandwitch.

I tried to record gameplay using OBS with NVENC and is impossible. Even using a different disk or RAM disk, it will produce stutters in the game. If steam is downloading something in the background, stutters. If process lasso is monitoring other processes, stuttering. And so on.

Without those programs running or downloading, the game is perfect smooth for me. Locked 50fps at 50hz with the config I posted before.

Taggen86

Thinking about buying the game, but after reading DFs analysis, I got worried. Is there any way to get a stable 60 or 50 fps with good framepacing and no stuttering in 1440p or above on my 1080 right now? Does fast sync help?

MaLDo

Thinking about buying the game, but after reading DFs analysis, I got worried. Is there any way to get a stable 60 or 50 fps with good framepacing and no stuttering in 1440p or above on my 1080 right now? Does fast sync help?

I've read a lot of different experiences. I have a 1080 too and using a custom res of 2304x1296@50hz my experience is perfect.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252160745&postcount=577

And this is the IQ using reshade

tew22017-10-1812-23-4vgjxp.png

tew22017-10-1812-31-0erj1c.png

tew22017-10-1812-25-1qhkd8.png

tew22017-10-1812-25-2syjyi.png

tew22017-10-1812-30-0hgjqm.png

tew22017-10-1812-59-1e4j41.png

tew22017-10-1818-59-1abji5.png

Typical

Banned
Just something I found out today but I guess most will all ready know but make sure your Windows is set to high performance mode.

Noticed a significant drop in performance today from a rock steady 60fps I had yesterday. Frame rates all over the place, choppy. Remembered I had this morning set PC to power saving mode as I usually leave my PC running. Once changed back to high performance 60fps again.

I always just thought the modes just effected sleep / turn monitor off cycles!

Seems like performance varies from person to person. Don't know if others have tried playing with vsync set to 60 versus disabled. For the first 3 or 4 chapters of the game, I played the game with vsync disabled and the game was relatively smooth but would stutter from time to time, which was very annoying.

So, today, I decided to play with vsync set to 60 and holy crap - the game is silky smooth now and for the most part, the stutter has been eliminated. I'll have to keep playing to see if this level of smoothness can be maintained but for now anyway, it's silky smooth now and plays soo much better.

I have a gsync monitor and I still notice things get “framey”

Fps is >60 and frame times are <20

What could I be expriencing?

Anyone else feel these drops on a 4790k?

I have a gsync monitor and I still notice things get “framey”

Fps is >60 and frame times are <20

What could I be expriencing?

Anyone else feel these drops on a 4790k?

Have you tried playing with the in game vsync option set to 60? When I played the game with vsync disabled, while I got high frame rates, the game would stutter from time to time.

I then tried setting vsync to 60 and wouldn't you know - the game is silky smooth now and practically stutter free. I'm still relatively early in the game (chapter 5), so it remains to be seen if the game will be stutter free the rest of the way. But for now anyway, I'm getting excellent results with the in game vsync setting set to 60 fps.

Valdega

One thing that's pretty annoying is that your video settings are saved to the Steam cloud. If you play the game on multiple PCs that have different resolutions, you'll have to reset them every time you launch the game. Not sure why you'd ever save video settings to a cloud.

Do Sandy Bridge processors handle this game alright? My build uses an i7 2600. Also, is a GTX 1060 capable of hitting 45fps @ 1080p? Lastly, I was wondering how the game handles gamepad+mouse. Can you move with an analog stick and look around with a mouse at the same time? I wanted to use my Steam Controller with this game. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried playing with the in game vsync option set to 60? When I played the game with vsync disabled, while I got high frame rates, the game would stutter from time to time.

I then tried setting vsync to 60 and wouldn't you know - the game is silky smooth now and practically stutter free. I'm still relatively early in the game (chapter 5), so it remains to be seen if the game will be stutter free the rest of the way. But for now anyway, I'm getting excellent results with the in game vsync setting set to 60 fps.

I will try this and report back

I'm chapter 6, so not too far ahead of you

Thabian

I have a pretty high end system and the game runs perfectly smooth for me. I know people are having issues, but if your system is high end you should have no problems.

i7 8700 K
MSI 1080 Ti
16 gb DDR4 3200 ram
installed on an SSD
Gsync monitor

I get around 75-100 fps at 1440p, gsync keeps the image silky smooth.

I have everything at ultra except depth of field is off.

My experience was also good, with a gtx 1080. I checked it with msi afterburner seeing the frametime, but there was no important stutter.

So yeah, some people are having problems, but not all of them. DF review isn't representative.

MikeBison

My performance seems to have settled without changing anything. Doesn't look like they pushed a patch either.

Gtx1080
Ryzen 1600
16gb ram

1440 everything at medium with camera blur off I know get 60fps 98% of the time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My performance seems to have settled without changing anything. Doesn't look like they pushed a patch either.

Gtx1080
Ryzen 1600
16gb ram

1440 everything at medium with camera blur off I know get 60fps 98% of the time.

Apparently some Windows update just hit that helped AMD CPUs, might have been that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently some Windows update just hit that helped AMD CPUs, might have been that.

Quoting myself. I did a clean install of Windows with this new update and the game is running much better for me, the sharp drops when panning the camera are almost eliminated. I'd say I've gained around 10fps, instead of dropping into the low 40s I'm dropping to the low 50s at worst, with a lot of time at 60+ and that's at 1080p, before I had to play at 900p. I'd be interested to hear from others who got the Fall update today.

Kudo

GTX 1070 and i7-6700K I decided to go with 1080/60/Ultra, looks absolute gorgeous on OLED.
Can't see any noticeable frame drops either.

Paragon

Quoting myself. I did a clean install of Windows with this new update and the game is running much better for me, the sharp drops when panning the camera are almost eliminated. I'd say I've gained around 10fps, instead of dropping into the low 40s I'm dropping to the low 50s at worst, with a lot of time at 60+ and that's at 1080p, before I had to play at 900p. I'd be interested to hear from others who got the Fall update today.
I'm getting less stuttering, but it's still present. CPU and GPU usage is still low, so I have to drop the resolution quite a lot to keep the game above 60 FPS.
It's running about 45 FPS at 3440x1440 with only 70% GPU usage.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting less stuttering, but it's still present. CPU and GPU usage is still low, so I have to drop the resolution quite a lot to keep the game above 60 FPS.
It's running about 45 FPS at 3440x1440 with only 70% GPU usage.

I'm honestly not getting any stuttering, and I would notice but I was a little quick off the mark, it seems those chapters I did yesterday were just less stressful as I've had to switch back to 900p. 900p/medium preset seems to be the best for me with a 970, it hits 60fps most of the time and I'm still not experiencing the massive dips when panning the camera which I got all the time before the format/Fall update. Overall it's very playable but far from perfect, I can't remember the last time I couldn't play at my native resolution of 1080p (and still not get 60fps 100% of the time).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Impression on steam forum says little to no change.

That's what I read too, having to play at 900p for 60fps was a bummer. Performance was the only real issue I had with the game.

Welp, last time I'll buy a Tango game on PC. Bought the first game on X1 & regret not doing it for the sequel. Either they're having trouble patching the PC version or just don't give a damn.

Gitaroo

Welp, last time I'll buy a Tango game on PC. Bought the first game on X1 & regret not doing it for the sequel. Either they're having trouble patching the PC version or just don't give a damn.

More likely don't give a damn, or think 30fps = mission accomplished.

xpsycho87x

Neo Member
People with stuttering even when framerate is over 60 fps (either framepacing issues or small pauses when loading new areas) and a nvidia gpu can try this

Create a new custom resolution at 50 hz no higher than 1080p (1920x1079 for example)

01crqdz.jpg

Use this config in the game profile

and this one in the game options menu. Important use fullscreen (no borderless), 60 FPS limit ingame and the 50hz custom resolution. Very important, disable FRAPS, disable RTSS (or game profile if yours works this way instead of general use) and avoid that Process Lasso acts with the game.

This game has no exclusive fullscreen mode, but fullscreen mode is not the same than borderless. Borderless will use desktop resolution and refreshrate, but fullscreen can use different ones. In this mode, the game will change your desktop resolution/refreshrate just before launching and restore it after closing.

I created the custom res in Nvidia CP but it doesn't show in the game options... what can I do?

Hazz_Dude

Neo Member
I created the custom res in Nvidia CP but it doesn't show in the game options... what can I do?

You have to set it as your desktop screen resolution when you start the game, it should then be selectable in game (for fullscreen). Unfortunately MaLDo's fix didn't help me. In fact even on the lowest settings at 640X480 resolution I get slowdown/fps drop whenever the game seems to be loading a new area or textures... perhaps my CPU is not fast enough?

CPU: i7-3770k (@3.8Ghz)
GFX: EVGA GTX 1080
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Storage: 480GB SSD for Windows & some games (such as The Evil Within 2)

Tried pretty much everything but the fps dropping problem just doesn't seem to go away, so I'm learning to just accept that the game runs like garbage on some machines and crack on with it anyway.

*EDIT*: Last night I got pretty good results by adding launch options +vt_useCudaTranscode 2, +vt_cudaBudget 14 and +vt_maxPPF 8 to the game, lowering resolution to 1600 X 900, on Nvidia inspector I had no FPS limit and all vsync (in and out of game) was set to off, but I did have triple buffering set to on and max pre rendered frames set to 1. Whether or not this will help anyone else or not I'm not sure as it really it really does seem to be completely random results for specific hardware. I also had Process Lasso running to raise the priority of the game, but I cant say for sure whether or not this had any significant impact.

*EDIT2*: Ok so it turns out +vt_useCudaTranscode, +vt_cudaBudget are not valid commands for The Evil Within 2, and any improvements I was seeing were placebos... :( On the plus side I have got it running near perfect now through some more tweaking: It turns out I had dpi scaling (when you right click the shortcut and got to properties > compatibility) set to "system (enhanced)" which was screwing with the game, changed it to application controlled and it is working miles better. I have also added the below to the launch options (which are definitely valid commands, but at this point I cant say for certain whether or not they have an effect):

+fs_cachepath "(Your game directory):\TheEvilWithinCache" +com_allowconsole 1 +vt_maxPPF 8 +vt_usetranscodejobs 0 +jobs_numthreads -1 +m_smooth 0

Also I am 'half using' MaLDo's fix as the game is running at 50fps, even without an fps limit set, which seems to be related to the custom 50hz resolution I made earlier when trying that fix, which seems smoother than playing at 60fps and above. I have stopped using Process Lasso with the game as it doesn't provide any noticeable gains. I am also playing from an SSD as opposed to a 7200RPM HDD which has stopped micro-freezes. Think its safe to say that I am quite happy with how the game runs now, and can finally start to enjoy the damn game! See you inside STEM folks!

Anyone ever think we'll get the option to play this in first person mode for console? Would love that and would buy now in sale if it were already there!

pawel86ck

Banned
Game runs OK on my 1080ti, 55-60 fps at 1440p, no suttering, but I'm not impressed with the graphics. Textures are very blurry even compared to the first game, shadows are jagged and picture quality is very soft (like upscaled picture). IMO esident evil 7 looks MUCH better and runs better too.

my observations
-gamepad controls are very strange, it's hard to aim at anything and I have to play with M+K.
-in game framecap adds some input delay, and it's best to use Nv inspector framecap, game is perfectly smooth and responsive then. To be honest with Nv inspector
-blood looks like ketchup :p

Last edited:

Ywap

Game runs OK on my 1080ti, 55-60 fps at 1440p, no suttering, but I'm not impressed with the graphics. Textures are very blurry even compared to the first game, shadows are jagged and picture quality is very soft (like upscaled picture). IMO esident evil 7 looks MUCH better and runs better too.

my observations
-gamepad controls are very strange, it's hard to aim at anything and I have to play with M+K.
-in game framecap adds some input delay, and it's best to use Nv inspector framecap, game is perfectly smooth and responsive then. To be honest with Nv inspector
-blood looks like ketchup :p

Yeah, it´s a VERY ugly game. Would have been ugly even if released 6-7 years ago.

And a bad game aswell. I loved the first one but this one felt very casual, amateurish and boring.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
This game's performance on PC is borderline a disgrace. Even with a GTX 1080 & an I7 8700K (with 16 gb of ram) it runs like crap with microstutter all over map (whether at 1080p or 1440p). When the framerate displays a solid (locked) 60fps, the game still stutters like crazy. None of the usual tricks work in order to fix the problem (vsync on or off etc.).

The irony is the first Evil Within ran like crap on consoles yet its PC version is rock solid (at least for me), yet the sequel? Blegh. In terms of positives at least Juli Kidman is hot. In & of itself that small factoid might merit a discount purchase.

masmur

Neo Member
This game's performance on PC is borderline a disgrace. Even with a GTX 1080 & an I7 8700K (with 16 gb of ram) it runs like crap with microstutter all over map (whether at 1080p or 1440p). When the framerate displays a solid (locked) 60fps, the game still stutters like crazy. None of the usual tricks work in order to fix the problem (vsync on or off etc.).

The irony is the first Evil Within ran like crap on consoles yet its PC version is rock solid (at least for me), yet the sequel? Blegh. In terms of positives at least Juli Kidman is hot. In & of itself that small factoid might merit a discount purchase.
just wanted to get stable fps cuz fps keep droping whenever i move or shoot which is unplayable even on low setting,but others with 1060 can get 40-60 fps while i cant get 35 on low setting

Top Bottom