• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

zulux21

Hatched a Hat Pichu, so that set is complete. Got a new Feraligatr, pumped it to 2250 CP but I need more candy to go further. Double dark move set. Might want to fix that in the future.

if I am thinking correctly feraligator with a build like that should be good against lugia. lugia is psychic which is weak to dark and water (so he can get hydro pump) thus a water pokemon with dark moves should be solid against him?

though I am not sure if his base stats are good enough to be useful (aka jolteon still kind of sucks)

border

How do you throw a Curve Ball? Obiously I know what you are supposed to do, but about half of my curve balls are not counted as such when I look at the XP bonuses. Since curve balls are essential to catching raid bosses, I need to know how to throw them regularly.

So like

What's the deal with Zapdos and Moltres? Are they supposed to go live when Lugia and Articuno end? And what about Mewtwo, wasn't he teased too?

Also, why isn't Ho-Oh getting any love? Fake edit: I forgot, Ho-Oh's lore is linked to Legendary Beasts, not the other birds. Oops, lol.

zulux21

So like

What's the deal with Zapdos and Moltres? .

red and yellow team were losers so their birds are also losers.

they will eventually come, but it will be after the initial hype because they are losers :p

it was a team based unlock and blue won at the event thus why articuno is in the wild.

red and yellow team were losers so their birds are also losers.

they will eventually come, but it will be after the initial hype because they are losers :p

it was a team based unlock and blue won at the event thus why articuno is in the wild.
Man, I apparently didn't pay nearly enough attention to the Go Fest stuff, lol. I thought all the competitions got abandoned when everything went to shit, haha.

Well uh... go fellow Mystics!

Do we even know if they'll still be going?

Of course they will. Can you imagine the outcry if they would stop? I think they will stick around but be more rare.
Hope they will include some new regular raid bosses soon and that the other legendary birds won't wait too long.

Did another Lugia raid but didn't catch it. I'm glad I already got one because I couldn't live to the pressure everytime.

Joni

Legendary raids need to be rare, like do them once a week in the weekend, start giving the countdown days before, make them visible from miles away. They need to remain 'events' where groups keep showing up.

Pineapple

Does anyone have any advice or tips at all for catching raid Pokemon? I'm getting really frustrated that I've attended so many raids but come away empty handed almost every time. My last 5 raids -

- 3 person Gengar raid, I was the only person that didn't catch it.
- 7 person Blastoise raid, I was the only person that didn't catch it.
- 6 person Tyranitar raid, I was one of two people that didn't catch it.
- 9 person Tyranitar raid, I was one of 3 people that didn't catch it.
- And then, yesterday, a 14 person Articuno raid, and once again, I was one of just 3 people that didn't catch it.

I don't know what to do at this point. I try and wait to throw until just after they complete their bounce/attack animation. I try and wait until the circle is somewhat small. I always use a Golden Razz...and yet they break free on either the first or second shake. There is one person who attended all of the aforementioned raids with me aside from the Blastoise raid, and he caught every single one within his first 4 throws.

I don't know what else I can do at this point.

Does anyone have any advice or tips at all for catching raid Pokemon? I'm getting really frustrated that I've attended so many raids but come away empty handed almost every time. My last 5 raids -

- 3 person Gengar raid, I was the only person that didn't catch it.
- 7 person Blastoise raid, I was the only person that didn't catch it.
- 6 person Tyranitar raid, I was one of two people that didn't catch it.
- 9 person Tyranitar raid, I was one of 3 people that didn't catch it.
- And then, yesterday, a 14 person Articuno raid, and once again, I was one of just 3 people that didn't catch it.

I don't know what to do at this point. I try and wait to throw until just after they complete their bounce/attack animation. I try and wait until the circle is somewhat small. I always use a Golden Razz...and yet they break free on either the first or second shake. There is one person who attended all of the aforementioned raids with me aside from the Blastoise raid, and he caught every single one within his first 4 throws.

I don't know what else I can do at this point.
Do you make curve balls? If yes than there is nothing else you can do. You just seem to have bad luck, sorry.

Legendary raids need to be rare, like do them once a week in the weekend, start giving the countdown days before, make them visible from miles away. They need to remain 'events' where groups keep showing up.

You're goddamn right!

I'm curious as to whether Lugia is going to stick around after the event ends. I feel like it was introduced as a special thing and the level 5 raids will default to Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres when this is over (and be much more rare than they are currently).

Time will tell.

Anyway, I now have 2 Lugia from 6 attempts, and 2 Articuno from 3 attempts.
Lugia's are 87% and 89%, Articuno are both 89%. Think I'll power up both Lugia to level 30, Articuno doesn't really get high enough CP for the investment imo.

Just did my first two legendary raids over lunch.
  • You really do need the big groups! Which is nice. When excitement has died down it'll be impossible mind.
  • Didn't need any third-party co-ordination. Just people gradually getting to the place.
  • Little bit of fun people management as you get people to know 'oh no don't start yet' and to figure out when the group is big enough
  • Caught Articuno on the first through - Lugia escaped every time.
  • Definitely going to do a few more after work if I can.
  • Really really fun.

Yes. No idea on specifics, but the excitement and rarity made me get out there in a way I won't every time.

T.O.P

Banned
3 Lugia and 2 Articuno done today

No luck on my main account, still at the barely ok Lugia captured yesterday...meanwhile on my shitty yellow alt at level 22 i caught both at first try lmao

Luxorek

Fought two Lugia today, both run away. Caught Articuno, 84% IV.

I'm loving the increased TM drop rate from legendary raids. Shame that I used all my savings from gyms on raid passes and at the moment have little more than 100 coins left.

Used to be so much easier to get coins with the old system hahaha

GulAtiCa

Even though they likely lost a LOT of money in Chicago, I have to imagine they gained so much more these last 2 days from people buying raid passes to do Legendary Raids lol.

Heck, yesterday I did like 8 raids. Except for 1 Tyranitar raid, rest were Legendary. So many would show up for these raids. Roswell City Hall had over 60 there, and more keep coming. Was amazing.

T.O.P

Banned
I have to imagine they gained so much more these last 2 days from people buying raid passes to do Legendary Raids lol.

I spent 44€ between yesterday and today...passes, bag and pokemon slot expansions

And like 200 pokeballs because i'm fuckin blazing through em capturing pidgeys

Qwark

Does the event end at 6PM today central since that's 48 hours from the announcement? And is that just the catch bonuses or do legendary raids slow down at that point too? Does anybody even know since Niantic is so bad at communicating?

Edit: Found this

the following rewards will last until Monday, July 24, at 5:00 P.M. PDT:
Double Stardust
Double Candy
Double XP
Increased Pokémon encounters
Reduced hatching distance
Reduced buddy distance

Hopefully that means legendaries go all day today... gotta work till 5 and was out of town all weekend :/

Hatched 2 Dratini today. Each came with 59 candy 😍

I also have two more 10km eggs in incubators right now but I'm not sure if I can hatch them today. Will I still get 2x candy tomorrow when I finish hatching them? Is the distance still 3.3 km tomorrow?

Joni

Good stuff today despite heavy lag.
+ Eevee turned into Vaporeon. It was an almost perfect 800 CP one so it is already a monster without upgrades.
+ Got enough rare candy to evolve my first Tyranitar. Almost 3000 CP without upgrades. So that means two newcomers on my heavyhitters.
Bought the box with six raids passes. I'm going to try some more advanced stuff. See if I can solo a level 3 raid.

GulAtiCa

I don't think they ever ended an event early. Some times it was ended on time, but most times it was later (some cases days later lol)

gutshot

This event has been great for helping me get my remaining Dex entries. Finished up walking my Porygon, switched to Togepi and got enough candies for Togetic. Now I'm on Mareep. Luckily I hatched one and got 48 candies with it, which is going to save a ton of kms.

After going weeks without any new Dex entries, it's looking like 4 in the span of a few days. Only non-regionals I still need after this will be Hitmonchan and Unown.

JoeM86

Got my Lugia :D

DFf_usSXgAEB7ga.jpg:orig

Though this from the official site is of note

That means the Legendary Pokémon Articuno has also started to appear in Raid Battles all over the globe. Now everyone can catch Articuno, but it will appear at Gyms only for a brief while, so join your friends and try to defeat this awesome Pokémon. The other two Legendary Pokémon of the trio, Zapdos and Moltres, will soon show up at Gyms for you to challenge. [/quite]

GulAtiCa

I very much imagine after tonight T5 raids will become very rare again. Which will be better IMO.

Granted, I already now have 3 Lugia & 2 Articunos. :p

Had time for 2 Articuno raids yesterday and managed to bag the second one. Had a good time, people actually got out of their cars and hung out for a bit for a change. At the first raid I met the "area rep" for the map scanners around here. He was a cool guy, told us to let him know if anything spawns too much or too little on the scanners and he can change it on the fly. There was also this weird guy who for some reason refused to work with the group of 9 we had and tried to solo the Articuno, failing over and over. Second raid was a nail biter, had to wait for scattered people on our group chat to come in. Started the raid with 7 mins left on the clock. Last guy was sprinting across the park to get to us after someone yelled that we had to start. There were only a couple Lugia's spawning yesterday, one was far and couldn't get a group and the other 2 I missed due to other obligations. Today I mass evolved a bunch of crap I've been hoarding since Easter. Put up about 275K XP.

One thing I learned yesterday: all the legendary prepping meant nothing. The number of people is what matters most. If there's 10+ people there, it's going down. You don't need 6 perfect IV Golems or Tyranitars with the right moves to beat the raid, just use the best you got on hand and tap away. It's too laggy to dodge so everything dies in 2 charge moves anyway.

EDIT: Oh nice, someone in the chat JUST posted a Lugia raid. I get off work in 20 mins...fingers crossed.

dark_chris

Gold Member
I got 11 Articunos and 2 Lugias.
Went out to catch some this morning in downtown Chicago and there were still a lot of people walkiing about. Hell, the Blue Cross building had way too many people around lol.
Gonna go back in a bit to catch them. I bet the catch rate will go away soon, was nice to have it at 100% for a while.

That was only for those in the Chicago Go Fest event I believe. Had to tackle and defeat a Lugia Raid and the Lugia was a 100% catch rate (as long as you actually hit it.)

Seriously? They made it sound like everyone was going to just get it who attended :(

It sucks because I haven't been in a raid group that has defeated one yet. And probably by tomorrow everyone will clear out of the city and it'll go back to just have a couple people per raid.

GulAtiCa

Seriously? They made it sound like everyone was going to just get it who attended :(

Well, you still could have / can? Raids around the city (probably within 2 miles of event) could get 100% catch rate. So prob didn't even need to attend, just be in Chicago.

I didn't go, so I'm just relaying 2nd hand reports.

Qwark

That was only for those in the Chicago Go Fest event I believe. Had to tackle and defeat a Lugia Raid and the Lugia was a 100% catch rate (as long as you actually hit it.)

Are you sure about this? The people I know that attended thought that it would be added to their account, probably when the $100 would be added. I assumed the easy catch Lugia was an apology on top of that.

Top Bottom