• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I wonder what it actually says. It could be they simply removed hand-to-hand as a skill, but you can still punch if you unequip both hands.

Not that it matters to me. I only used hand-to-hand for laughs.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Riddick did hand to hand right. Not that bummed though; great info.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there any video of the combat yet? Like, actual gameplay?

wit3tyg3r said:
Agreed. Something that tedious and cookie-cutter made the gates horrendous to complete.

Ugh. I was really getting in to it, too. I just went on the guilds (Dark Brotherhood being my favorite) and had a good time with those. I went back and forth between the main story and the guilds but just quit the main story all together after reaching my tolerance of bad game design with the gates. It's a shame too, because I got close to beating it.

Oblivion's fast-travel also returns, but only for locations you've already discovered.
Thank you. This kind of killed exploration for me in the first game.

I tried to resist it, but sometimes you get lazy and before you know it you're teleporting so much that you expect to beam up to the star ship enterprise at any minute.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just want to see what the game looks like at this point.

I really loved Oblivion, but it felt incomplete a lot of the time.

Crazetex

Sounds like they've added in a lot of my favorite mods from Oblivion. You know, the ones that made the game playable.

No Unarmed will make more than a few people rather salty...not only will it mean no monk-type fist characters, it also implies that we can't disarm people anymore because they'd be completely helpless. Hopefully they just put it in a different category.

Crazetex

bengraven said:
...four factions.

WHOOO! THIS GAME HAS THE SAME FACTIONS AS BEFORE WHOOOO

Monocle: As do I. I hate rabbits with a bloody passion. Wrote a short essay on my hatred, once. Rabbits and plants... my two worst enemies.

(This is why we have fire.)

wit3tyg3r

Dark Octave said:

I tried to resist it, but sometimes you get lazy and before you know it you're teleporting so much that you expect to beam up to the star ship enterprise at any minute.

This.

I, too, tried my hardest to resist Oblivion's fast travel system so I could actually absorb the game in its fullest...but sometimes I gave in to how easy it was. I think Red Dead Redemption does a fantabulous job with traveling...horses were absolutely amazing in that game, but if I needed transportation for whatever reason, there was bound to be a small settlement with a buggy nearby. I think that if the horse animations are better in Skyrim (like Bethesda claims it will be), I will be using them a lot. I refrained from using horses in Oblivion because they always seemed so...goofy and weird :p

Dark Octave said:

This makes me wonder if console commands will be back.

tmm 1 !

Really though, where's the fun in that.

This game just sounds better and better. I'd gush with joy if they managed to seriously reduce load times and increase the draw distance for creatures and people.

I usually played stealth in Oblivion, and it sucked to constantly creep around barely able to see anything because of all the high grass and bushes just above eye level, only to see some creature decloak into the world nearby. Fallout 3 handled most of this stuff much better though so there is reason to be optimistic.

Fast travel really is a funny thing. I don't like the idea but I always inevitably end up using it. Maybe now with the Morrowind system in place I can stick to that.

wit3tyg3r

IGN posted their live E3 coverage times here. IGN's live cover of Skyrim will be at 12:40PM PST on Wednesday (June 8) (I will sadly be in class during that time *cries in corner*....stupid summer speech class)...hopefully it will be available after the show to watch because I really want to see this.

Wanace

Faction quests tied to the storyline and each other doesn't sound too hot. The whole point of Elder Scrolls is being able to ignore the main quest or other factions if you want to. I hope this doesn't detract from the experience or force you to do something in the main quest to proceed in the mage's guild for instance.

I'm sure it won't but I'm curious how it will be handled.

bengraven

Cryptozoologist said:
Faction quests tied to the storyline and each other doesn't sound too hot. The whole point of Elder Scrolls is being able to ignore the main quest or other factions if you want to. I hope this doesn't detract from the experience or force you to do something in the main quest to proceed in the mage's guild for instance.

I'm sure it won't but I'm curious how it will be handled.

Yeah, I have little faith in the faction quests. Oh sure they might be more fun than in Oblivion (at least the non DB quests could use improvement), but as for variety...no.

I really miss the dozen or so factions in Morrowind already.

Fjordson

wit3tyg3r said:
I could actually absorb the game in its fullest...but sometimes I gave in to how easy it was. I think Red Dead Redemption does a fantabulous job with traveling...horses were absolutely amazing in that game
Yep yep. Hope the horses in this are as fun to use.

Also:

Each city in the world has an unique economy, which the player can sabotage, should they so desire. Cities are still patrolled by guards, but they’re no longer the omniscient killing machines they were in Oblivion. Bounties the player can incur are also no longer valid throughout the land: for instance, if you kill someone in Hold A, the guards in Hold B will not arrest you for it.
Hell yes.

Rad-

They are implementing some of the most popular Oblivion mods into Skyrim. Sounding good Bethesda.

onken

wit3tyg3r said:
Agreed. Something that tedious and cookie-cutter made the gates horrendous to complete.

I used to hate them until I realised you could just run past everybody, grab the sigil stone and warp the fuck out of there.

Blue Ninja said:
There's also an unfortunate casualty: Hand to Hand has been removed.

NOOOOOOOO

GOD NO

Maybe it's just me, but I always play through these games as a unarmed menace :( Fuuuuuuuuu-

:( :( :(

FGMPR

Banned
Call me paranoid, but I'm getting unpleasant flashbacks of infinite jeeps spawning after me in FarCry 2 when I read about those dragons.

Ah well, whatever happens the modders will make it work.

bengraven said:
...four factions.
... That we know about.

ajf009 said:
I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what they're going to be
They'll probably be more akin to the (slightly less annoying) Obelisks of Order in Shivering Isles, I think.

GhaleonEB said:
I really want to know more about the stealth/punishment systems. If one guard sees me steal a fork, does that mean all guards in that area are instantly aware of my actions? Or can I cut down the guard and get away with it?
Good question, would like to know this too.

IGN will have a live demo of Skyrim this wednesday, at 12:40pm PST. GameTrailers will be even sooner, with a demo on monday, at 11:00am PDT. (7pm GMT)

Wanace

There could still be unarmed combat, just the skill for it has been removed.

Obviously we can still run and jump in the game even if Athletics and Acrobatics are gone...

WFPCf.jpg

0wajh.jpg

Dina said:
Hand to hand vs dragons would be stupid, imo. Save that for Diablo 3.

dragons in diablo doesn't make much sense

ooh nice screens, the mammoths don't look like they have fur though..

Kyaw

The hair on the mammoth looks ridiculously bad. And the rock textures and the bushes...

Hopefully console shots? (not much will improve on PC anyway apart from clearer image quality, i hope i'm wrong)

Lakitu

st5fu
Damn, that dude looks baller.

Is it confirmed that we can customise our character to that extent though? Like the facial features, tattoos, war paint etc.

GhaleonEB

I like that all of the foliage so far has been shorter and more sparse than in Oblivion, which makes things easier to see and appears to enable longer draw distances for it.

Looks like the giants hang with mammoths, which makes sense. Detailing on the mammoths isn't so hot, but still. Mammoths.

Status of frothing demand: up.

Top Bottom