• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the starting roster of ARMS revealed, which character is your favorite DESIGN?

Favorite ARMS character design?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the poster means in the final game, where each character can unlock the other's gloves and create custom load outs.

How was it for you, anyway?

It was pretty fun. There is spacing and timing involved. There is an RPS involved in that Attacks beat throws, throws beat blocks, and block beats attacks. If you basically are attacking and you hit the throw (by throwing both punches at once) your arms go limp. Whiff punishing seems to be a thing. If a punch basically flies past it's target, it usually will keep going, so that arm would be tied up and leave you open. You can dodge with sidestepping and trying to lead with your punches seems important. One thing I didn't really get used to was that sometimes the detection on the steps was iffy, so at times I felt that I didn't dodge things I was trying to.

I played Ninjara and the booth guy played Master Mummy. Meter build seemed pretty important and it carries over between rounds. Once it activates you can just keep throwing out rapid punches and you basically can do most of someone's life once you land the first super punch, because the rest basically will connect when you keep spamming punch, but you can play defensive and just try to wait it out. Throwing seems also important in this matchup since Master Mummy basically specializes in blocking and the guy seemed to play enough to know to go for it.

If all gloves can be unlocked, I wonder if that would be used in competitive modes or events. TBH I think keeping a unique set of 3 for competition will make characters stand out from each other more. The gloves do have significantly different effects and flight patterns that matter.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Probably Min Min but still voted for Kid Cobra...i dont know what it is but his design is clicking with me over time. Think he will be a good one.

Kinda feel bad for Ribbin Girl...Twintelle and Min Min really came for her spot lol. They all look great at the end...so it doesnt mean much.

Speely

Banned
Probably Min Min but still voted for Kid Cobra...i dont know what it is but his design is clicking with me over time. Think he will be a good one.

Kinda feel bad for Ribbin Girl...Twintelle and Min Min really came for her spot lol. They all look great at the end...so it doesnt mean much.

Kid Cobra is growing on me (was meh about them at reveal,) and I still like Ribbon Girl a lot, too. She rocks the black alt outfit like a champ.

If all gloves can be unlocked, I wonder if that would be used in competitive modes or events. TBH I think keeping a unique set of 3 for competition will make characters stand out from each other more. The gloves do have significantly different effects and flight patterns that matter.

They already said you can only take in 3 gloves into matches, but can switch out the set in between. Unless you meant something different?

They already said you can only take in 3 gloves into matches, but can switch out the set in between. Unless you meant something different?

What I mean is that usually when you think of a tournament and such. If all characters have access to the same repertoire, the thing that would set them apart is just their unique skill like Min Min's kick. Tournaments generally cut back on customization usually and stick to defaults, sort of like how custom moves aren't used competitively in Smash 4 and people played without gems in SFXT. But this is just rambling, since it's a big "if" there would be much of a scene and the details about how things work, which we will only really know for sure when the game comes out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
tumblr_op56ygqZnv1qh1rfpo1_540.gif

haha wtf

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Twintelle and Helix are my favourites. Love that Twintelle uses her hair to punch and the way she walks with her hands on her hips just looks so classy. Also, ass. Helix is basically flubber.

Neiteio

When I played it at SXSW, there are only 3 types of gloves per character but you can mix and match those 3 on your left and right hand. Ninjara's set of gloves is different than Master Mummy for example.
Yes, but we know from the Direct that in the final game, you'll be able to unlock all 30 gloves for every character, and from there create a loadout you can mix and match. Each character starts with just three gloves, though, and that's what you saw.

NEO0MJ

Same opinion here. Difference between characters is limited as is, so allowing them to share all gloves will make people gravitate towards whoever ends up having the best trait.

What I mean is that usually when you think of a tournament and such. If all characters have access to the same repertoire, the thing that would set them apart is just their unique skill like Min Min's kick. Tournaments generally cut back on customization usually and stick to defaults, sort of like how custom moves aren't used competitively in Smash 4 and people played without gems in SFXT. But this is just rambling, since it's a big "if" there would be much of a scene and the details about how things work, which we will only really know for sure when the game comes out.

The entire fight system is based on customization. It makes no sense to compare it to Smash's custom moves, which are a separate mode, and not the traditional style of play. Plus matches would be INCREDIBLY boring if characters were limited to a small set of arms

Chessr

i cant decide because i like the design of them all.

cant play Twintelle though. dat ass. cant take my eyes from that fictive ass lol

TheSun

I like kid cobra, he reminds me of a snake-ey mighty duck.
He is even rocking the 90's colors: pink and light blue.

Speaking of colors, it'd be interesting to see all the alternative color schemes. Simple paint job can really turn me around on a fighter.

Neiteio

Wow, Twintelle closing in on 400. She wasn't my vote, but it's awesome to see so much excitement over a PoC character. Hopefully Nintendo notices this.

Anyone here frequent Japanese message boards? What characters appear to be poopular in the Land of the Rising Sun?

On another note entirely, Kid Cobra is really growing on me. The segmented "cobra hood" and sliding dodge is so cool!

Glass Rebel

Toss up between Spring Man and Twintelle.

Spring Man is, compared to the rest, a bit generic but his design really works perfectly as a mascot for the game. I love the colours and especially his hair.

Twintelle because 😏

Spring Man sure loves his pizza!

(Official concept art from the ARMS Twitter)

DAMdQrTVwAAZvHQ.jpg

Well, this just raises more questions. What does Spring Man look like with his shirt off? Where does the skin of his chest end and the blue of the ARM begin? Come to think of it, how does he even put his shirt on? I don't think those giant hands would fit through the arm holes.

An official explanation, ala Gravity Rush's lead artist showing how Kat's outfit works, would be greatly appreciated.

Forkball

Current poll standings:

Twintelle
Min Min
Byte and Barq
Helix
Mechanica
Spring Man
Ninjara
Kid Cobra
Ribbon Girl
Master Mummy

No love for the mummy.

Luigi87

I love all the character designs for ARMS. Great character designs can really make me interested in a game, as that us what initially drew my attention to Overwatch, which I adore.

Top Bottom