• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon US/UM will be the last Pokemon RPGs for 3ds

sinonobu

Banned
Speaking to IGN, Game Freak director Shigeru Ohmori explained that the company has seen each of its 3DS games as the full extent of what could be achieved on the handheld console:

"When we were making Pokemon X and Y, we really were trying to push the 3DS system to its absolute limits - which is what we thought we’d done. But when Sun and Moon came around, we completely redesigned the system, and actually ended up pushing the 3DS even further to what we thought was the most we could draw out of it."

However, that process of improvement seems to have come to an end, with the upshot being that Game Freak will move on after the new games' release on November 17:

"With Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon," explains Ohmori, "we’ve tried to eke that out more and really, really push the system to its absolute limits, and we’re now feeling that perhaps this is the maximum of what we can get out. So we’re really treating Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as the culmination of our work with the 3DS system."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10...ra-moon-will-be-the-last-pokemon-rpgs-for-3ds

JoeM86

Considering they announced mainline Pokémon on Nintendo Switch at E3 for "2018 or later", then this should not be surprising to anyone

Now watch the (hopefully) DPPT remakes still be part of SuMo's generation graphically.

I'd think they'd wanna start with a new gen, but it's also possible they do a low-key remake like ORAS rather than the big crazy HD remake everyone wants.

Rymuth

I shouldn't be surprised but hearing it still instills me with conflicting emotions...it's like announcing the death of the 3DS :<

Crazyorloco

They didn't say 3DS family :p

New 2DS version coming lol

I'll probably get Ultra Sun/Moon. It sounds like it's going to be a great game. A nice big appetizer before the Switch version.

Kyzer

Banned
Considering they announced mainline Pokémon on Nintendo Switch at E3 for "2018 or later", then this should not be surprising to anyone

Still hoping for 2018

What happened to Unno and Morimoto why is Ohmori doing everything now :/

Was his planning for ORAS Just that impeccable?

well make sure this one counts, okay

gonna be weird having to get used to pokemon games no longer being on dual screens

Now watch the (hopefully) DPPT remakes still be part of SuMo's generation graphically.

I'd think they'd wanna start with a new gen, but it's also possible they do a low-key remake like ORAS rather than the big crazy HD remake everyone wants.

they will start off with a new game not a remake, nothing brings the hype more than a brand new game with a bunch of new pokemon

JoeM86

They will start with a new generation. Why would they start with a remake and why would it still be in Sun/Moon's generation?

That's such an illogical concept.

Still hoping for 2018

What happened to Unno and Morimoto why is Ohmori doing everything now :/

Was his planning for ORAS Just that impeccable?

Ohmori isn't directing this, Iwao is.

We've had:
X&Y
Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Sun & Moon
Super Sun & Mega Moon

I think it's only fair to call it there. 3DS has had a great little run for Pokemon. Can't wait to see what comes to the Switch :D

Griss

Not a surprise at all.

Now it will be fascinating to see what Gamefreak does with the Switch hardware. The power jump from 3DS to Switch is massive, and many players will play the game as a home console RPG. Many players do not take their Switches outside. These are all huge deals for the design of pokemon, which has always been very focused on both its handheld and social nature.

Do they just make another, prettier RPG like Sun / Moon? On a home console with Xenoblade 2 and Skyrim and others I don't know if they'd get away with that. I think they're going to finally have to make a proper home console standard RPG, and I'm fascinated to see how they get on as I personally think they're mediocre or worse developers.

We've had:
X&Y
Sun & Moon
Super Sun & Mega Moon

I think it's only fair to call it there. 3DS has had a great little run for Pokemon. Can't wait to see what comes to the Switch :D

X and Y were pretty good. 1 out of 3 ain't bad?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
well make sure this one counts, okay

gonna be weird having to get used to pokemon games no longer being a the dual screens
SM already made the transition easier by removing everything useful from the second screen. Yes, I'm still mad about the lack of PSS and DexNav in gen 7.

We've had:
X&Y
Sun & Moon
Super Sun & Mega Moon

Pokemon Y gave me as much joy as Blue did back in the day. I'll always love gen 6, despite its flaws.

They will start with a new generation. Why would they start with a remake and why would it still be in Sun/Moon's generation?

Have they ever split a generation over incompatible consoles ? As far as I know any time they transitioned within a gen the successor was still backwards compatible (Yellow on GBC (which payed GB games)).

Mr-Joker

Banned
End of an era, the last true handheld Pokémon game and the end of the duel screen set up.

Onward to the future and I am interested to see what direction Game Freak take the Pokémon series on the Switch hardware and with the regression backward the single screen.

Personally I will still play it in handheld mode as I like to curl up somewhere and play the game in peace.

Have they ever split a generation over incompatible consoles ? As far as I know any time they transitioned within a gen the successor was still backwards compatible (Yellow on GBC (which payed GB games)).

Only with Crystal, but the Gold and Silver were always viewed as a Gameboy colour games that just happened to be playable on the original Game Boy.

Crayolan

There is zero reason to believe this is the case.

Edit: Though, I don't expect gen 8 to be a huge step up graphically, just a small one and of course in HD.

I'm really not looking forward to going back to single screen Pokémon and have zero interest in playing Pokémon on a TV.

I'm sure I'm in a minority there, but I hope they release a smaller switch by then (unlikely as it is). I'd much rather play Pokémon while lying in bed and switch is way too large for me to do that comfortably.

They couldn't have even if they wanted to. Before switch, there was never a handheld generation from Nintendo that wasn't capable of playing the previous generations games.

Danielsan

I really can't wait for this ear of Pokémon games. I'm fairly sure the first Switch game will be a continuation of what they've been doing with Sun and Moon except with nicer graphics, but I do hope we'll see big jump in their second mainline game on the system. The jump between XY and SuMo certainly blew me away.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think Crystal didn't run in the original GB, only on GBC.

Neoxon

Not surprising, but it’s good to hear. The 3DS had a hell of a run, but it’s time for Pokémon to move on (after US/UM). Hopefully they can get Gen 8 on the Switch next year & that US/UM ends things on a high note for the 3DS.

JoeM86

Who do you expect to direct the first Switch title? Back to Masuda?

Impossible to speculate. It's possible and that could be why he took a step back with this generation.
Not surprising, but it's good to hear. The 3DS had a hell of a run, but it's time for Pokémon to move on (after US/UM). Hopefully they can get Gen 8 on the Switch next year.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for next year. That'd make this the shortest generation and could mean it being rushed.

Instro

Considering the amount of people that were still claiming the series would be continuing on 3DS for years to come, I guess it's good to have confirmation...?

Kyzer

Banned

Iwao...

What the hell happened to Masuda / Morimoto / Unno!?

They just stopped after masterpieces like HGSS and B2W2? The hell

Well hopefully Masuda went straight to work on Gen 8 after XY let Ohmori take the reigns in the meantime...

I honestly don't believe them.

Like not in the least. I fully expect one more offshoot pokemon game before the lid is closed. Like a mystery dungeon game.

Griss

As for the end of the dual screen era, I thought X/Y was the only time where they used the second screen particularly well, so I doubt I'll miss it. The increased resolution will allow them to add UI to the main screen without cluttering things up too much.

JoeM86

Iwao...

Moriomoto is a big part of USUM. He's the System Planning Director in this game and is fully supervising elements such as Ultra Warp Ride (going through the Ultra Wormholes to the various Ultra Beast terrains/Legendary Pokémon).

Masuda has taken a step back, and is doing more music. He's been doing the music for Pokémon GO for example.

Crazyorloco

Iwao...

My guess is they're working more on the switch version and helping a little for Ultra Sun/Moon. I hope they don't take out features for the next pokemon game. I hate when good features are removed in the newer games.

Not a surprise at all.

Now it will be fascinating to see what Gamefreak does with the Switch hardware. The power jump from 3DS to Switch is massive, and many players will play the game as a home console RPG. Many players do not take their Switches outside. These are all huge deals for the design of pokemon, which has always been very focused on both its handheld and social nature.

Do they just make another, prettier RPG like Sun / Moon? On a home console with Xenoblade 2 and Skyrim and others I don't know if they'd get away with that. I think they're going to finally have to make a proper home console standard RPG, and I'm fascinated to see how they get on as I personally think they're mediocre or worse developers.

X and Y were pretty good. 1 out of 3 ain't bad?
They are not mediocre developers, they still make the best monster collection RPGs despite loads of competition from other companies. Also X and Y were the worst Pokemon games on 3DS. Not bad, but Sun/Moon and OR/AS were much stronger games.

Would imagine that pushes Diamond/Pearl remakes back to Gen 8 then.

Feels too soon anyway. I doubt they’d start a new generation with remakes (maybe if it was Red/Green), and it’d seem redundant as you can literally play the originals on current gen hardware. Every other time a generation was remade, it was due to being dated out of backwards compatibility (exception being FR/LG, although in that case the GB games weren’t compatible with the GBA games).

Top Bottom