• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins Open Beta Thread | PC

Man Makoa is friggin awful.

A lot of these champs just have a bunch of skills thrown together without any thought about synergy or anything.

It's still fun to play though.

I really dig Makoa. It's like Roadhog and Winston had a baby. I guess when a hog and a gorilla mate, a turtle pops out? Anyway...

I like how his cannon only shoots one projectile, which makes him more reliable at max range than the other tanks. His ultimate ability is also pretty good in that you get a big damage melee attack, and can still use your hook and dash abilities during it.

If you combine the card which makes his bubble shield last 2 extra seconds with the "Veteran" item that grants you bigger health regen when out of combat, it makes it so that when you activate your bubble shield, you'll get a big boost of health regen toward the end of it.

He does need his team backing him up, though. I've had a lot of teams that just hang back and fight at range instead of grouping up with me and getting in my bubble, which leaves me to get chewed up by the enemy team.

Man Makoa is friggin awful.

A lot of these champs just have a bunch of skills thrown together without any thought about synergy or anything.

It's still fun to play though.

Makoa is really fun, what you talking about no synergy? You can turtle shell about and protect your teammates with the barrier. You know you can barrier and turtle shell at the same time?

Makoa is all about disruption style of tanking imo. Barrier can stop some ults dead in their tracks, like androxus'. He can hook people away from others or into their team for an easy kill. And turtle shell spin attack is also a knockback as well as mobility option to get into position for barrier. And even his ult is about disruption, you run into the enemy team, hooks and turtle shell etc., and right when you're about to bite the dust you hit ult and you're at 10k health with an AOE melee attack that forces enemies to flee... and you can still spin into them or hook them back.

I think he is pretty high skill cap too, as his defensive options take great timing to maximize.

Makoa is pretty awesome imo.

Paertan

"Payload collision size now more closely matches the visuals."
Thank the old ones. That was really annoying. Seem like a good patch overall. Stricter rules for matchmaking os probably due to the popularity. If you have more players to choose from more strict rules can be applied.

Refyref

For some reason, the "add referrer" option is still available to me even after doing it. Can you add multiple referrers, then?

Oreoleo

those patch notes! \o/

skye and androxus nerfed, ruckus buffed, fernando buffed
ying, payload

this genuinely excites me, cant wait for it to go live

clemenx

Banned
As someone with only half a day of play I'm glad with the Androxus nerf lol.

THis game is low key fun and addicting. I came home today and inmediatly went into it.

those patch notes! \o/

skye and androxus nerfed, ruckus buffed, fernando buffed
ying, payload

this genuinely excites me, cant wait for it to go live

Sounds good. My initial impression was that skye is a bit too good. Androxus is the only other character I felt that way about, but not strongly.

Small damage nerf on androxus is not a huge deal. The skye change is bigger but not entirely a nerf. 3k damage 1 shots most characters and takes the rest down to nearly zero health. It happens all instantaneously so you can't heal the damage before death.

Seems like a solid list of changes to balance along with a couple bug fixes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Whenever I don't play Pip, I'm gonna have a bad time.

I can spam the HEAL ME PLZ line at them and they never Q. Ugh ugh ugh.

At least I have the 5 wins for the TF2 skin done for whenever the patch fixes that. Should be like 1-2 PvP wins and like 3-4 Bot wins.

Oreoleo

Sounds good. My initial impression was that skye is a bit too good. Androxus is the only other character I felt that way about, but not strongly.

Small damage nerf on androxus is not a huge deal. The skye change is bigger but not entirely a nerf. 3k damage 1 shots most characters and takes the rest down to nearly zero health. It happens all instantaneously so you can't heal the damage before death.

Seems like a solid list of changes to balance along with a couple bug fixes.

I think in both cases the nerf is appropriate. Androxus was definitely less "OP" but if this small nerf changes it from needing 4 bullets instead of 3 to kill someone (as an example) I think he'll be right where he needs to be for the most part.

3k damage on the skye ult is enough to one-shot a lot of the roster, you're right but there's still a number of ways to negate a single tick of damage so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Makes something that is otherwise relatively powerful like Grover's ult completely useless against it. Also it will feel less like bullshit overall as there won't be instances where you know you're screwed and are basically forced to watch it tick down over 2-3 seconds because you don't have a counter for it.

Figments

Man, the lack of VoIP really stings sometimes.

But on a more important note, I really, really disagree with Hi-Rez's decision to lock Competitive Mode beyond getting Mastery Level 4 on /12 fucking characters/. Like, what the fuck were you thinking? It should be account level-bound.

spk

But on a more important note, I really, really disagree with Hi-Rez's decision to lock Competitive Mode beyond getting Mastery Level 4 on /12 fucking characters/. Like, what the fuck were you thinking? It should be account level-bound.

I'd also like the ability to queue competitive while partied

Wow, are those the requirements? I was wondering why I didn't have it unlocked after 20 hours of play. 12 characters is over half the roster, that is crazy. I've only really been playing about five.

Ploid 3.0

I was just wondering who to unlock. I'll wait for the new patch. I saw a video by a guy that works at Hi-Rez and he mentioned a character may be coming back and it's a support. So That would be nice.

TheSeks

I was just wondering who to unlock. I'll wait for the new patch. I saw a video by a guy that works at Hi-Rez and he mentioned a character may be coming back and it's a support. So That would be nice.

I haven't seen much of a degrade in regards to coins so far. Use the characters you have and so long as you unlock levels with them and level up along with dailies, you should get the 5,000 easily. I'm wondering when the unlocks become a true grind.

I haven't seen much of a degrade in regards to coins so far. Use the characters you have and so long as you unlock levels with them and level up along with dailies, you should get the 5,000 easily. I'm wondering when the unlocks become a true grind.

I can only speak from my experience. I bought the founder's pack way back in cb. Since that time they've had constant reworks of the cards, refunding the gold each time. It's hard to understand how exactly I got all the gold I had when CB kicked off. But I had about 170-175k gold. It's really untranslateable to a new experience, because things changed so many times, and with many refunds.

But for me, what I had coming into CB was essentially enough to buy every card in the game (already have all the champs from founder's pack) with somewhere around 90 hours played.

I am curious how it would work out now. I don't even pay attention to the gold gaining rate cause I don't really need any.

Figments

I'd also like the ability to queue competitive while partied

Wait, that's not already in there? What the fuck?

Wow, are those the requirements? I was wondering why I didn't have it unlocked after 20 hours of play. 12 characters is over half the roster, that is crazy. I've only really been playing about five.

Yup. So far I have Skye, Evie, Cassie, Fernando, and Androxus at Mastery 4 or higher. I'm working on Kinessa right now, and holy shit am I bad at snipers. After that, I dunno who I'll move to.

mcz117chief

They have to. Two characters get banned and the rest of the players might take all your other champions. It is a standard failsafe to prevent people from being unable to pick a champ in ranked, it is the same in every game pretty much. The fact that you have to get them to rank 5 means you understand their mechanics and you can play them effectively in ranked, that is to prevent you from picking a champ you haven't played properly yet.

Indeed, the real game got the CB34 patch just recently. All the changes are go!

I only messed around with some things in the shooting range, but Ying does seem pretty dang good. Fernando's buff to his flamethrower was also pretty good. If you can keep your flames on an opponent, they will constantly take an extra 40 ticks of damage alongside your regular flamethrower damage. That's a pretty good buff.

TheSeks

But I had about 170-175k gold.

I mean dailies give you around 100-500 gold for logging in. Character Mastery Levels (up to... 10?) gives you 500 gold each. Spread that around in addition to some level-ups giving you gold and you shouldn't have problems unlocking the 18 or so characters so far. But I only have like half the roster so far. So we'll see.

KageZero

So i downloaded the game through steam, logged with my account and on the game launcher i either get waiting for verification or waiting for download... The progress bar wont move at all. Any help?

EDIT: seems like a service restart fixed the problem... its updating now

TheSeks

Well, that's dumb. Barik TF2 skin is just an in-game skin. Not a TF2 item like I thought. :/ Could've saved the credits and gotten someone else I guess.

Helznicht

Well, that's dumb. Barik TF2 skin is just an in-game skin. Not a TF2 item like I thought. :/ Could've saved the credits and gotten someone else I guess.

You get it for free when you win 5 public matches with the steam version. I don't think you can even use credits to purchase it......

Figments

HOLY SHIT VOICE PACKS.

GIVE THEM TO ME NOW.GIF

Indeed, the real game got the CB34 patch just recently. All the changes are go!

I only messed around with some things in the shooting range, but Ying does seem pretty dang good. Fernando's buff to his flamethrower was also pretty good. If you can keep your flames on an opponent, they will constantly take an extra 40 ticks of damage alongside your regular flamethrower damage. That's a pretty good buff.

Oh sick, his flamethrower's not completely useless now?

Finaika

Uh the character skill info screen doesn't tell you what type of damage a skill does anymore (direct or area).

mcz117chief

I have updated the OP a little bit. I added a "news headline" to the top of the page with the most significant changes to the game and link to the patch notes at the very bottom. What do you think?

Ruff

They covered that fucking stupid pit in the spawn room of that one map. YES

Now I won't immediately run into it everytime I spawn.

sibarraz

Banned
In one hand is cool that they give you such a cool skin for only playing barik.

In the other hand, he isn't that good as a solo frontline

RS4-

Surprised you can't find out what skills your champ (or whatever) has in the pick screen. Would be useful if you've got someone you never tried before.

Figments

Oh hey, a note on controller support: They fixed the issue of being unable to purchase upgrades for items with the controller. You can do that now.

They also fixed an issue with the items menu not being pre-mapped with a controller button.

Saddly, they still have not fixed using emotes with one though. From what I could tell, you still need to use the keyboard to use those.

And still the lack of VoIP frustrates and confounds me.

sibarraz

Banned
Recently played with Makoa, he is a very fun characters, I don't like his ulti that much, but I guess that I have to learn how to use it

Top Bottom