• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

redcrayon

While World is a great idea and inevitable, Capcom must think the western/portable fanbase they've been carefully building are stupid if they think they can suddenly divert all such players to World just because it would be convenient for their bank balance following it's dev costs. Ah well, I'll be back when a portable MH eventually gets an EU release again. Funnily enough, not going to hold my breath. Good luck with chasing the AAA crowd, it's a tough market.

ITT: Salty Monster Hunter fans so upset they're not getting an port of a 240p 3ds game that they're going to pretend that they won't buy world.
d8a.gif

I will see you all in 2018 brehs. Im keeping this thread bookmarked just to see how many of you crack.

Will you buy me a PS4 so I can play it? Only way you'll see me in 2018 on that.

Oregano

Capcom cannot afford to bring XX to the West. The Company is already on life support when they cannot even fund their own games and need companies like Sony to step in to ensure major Franchises like Street Fighter get made.

Capcom is betting the house on Monster Hunter in the west chasing after consoles. A Handheld game is direct competition to the console game.

They're already making the game and the game is already mostly localised from the OG Generations so excuse me if I'm not buying they can't afford it.

wrowa

Monster Hunter World looks and sounds great, but man, I feel bummed about this. I always enjoyed playing MH with its often trivial tasks on a handheld and was looking forward to finally be able to play it on a portable that doesn't have a shit screen.

And despite MH being primarily on home on handhelds for a decade, Capcom decides to show that audience the middle finger in search of a potentially bigger new audience. Can't really blame them for trying to find a way to reach more people in the west, but doing it at the cost of a sizeable part of their established and loyal fanbase rubs me the wrong way. Most of XX's content is already localized to begin with. :/

With Rainway hopefully releasing on Switch, it'll at least be possible to play World that way on a handheld (even if somewhat limited). So that's a bit of a silver linning, I suppose. ... Ehm, actually, most of my friends would likely pick it up on PS4 and since it won't have crossplay, PC likely isn't a great platform for me to play World on. Well, meh.

Hahaha remember when Capcom supported Nintendo handhelds with a franchise that fits them perfectly for 6 years, a franchise which is perfect for the Japanese marker and for the Western one thanks to local co-op? Remember all those fans that spend thousands of hours on those games and those fans that would have brought Capcom millions hahaha

Capcom had never intended MH to be a handheld franchise. Their ambitions for the series exceeded beyond that. It was originally made for consoles, with the hope of growing a multiplayer community online not locally. Granted, they made a shit load of money but make no mistake these last 7-8 years seeing their prized gem deform year after year under the light of handheld consoles must have been torture for them.

Eolz

How is this Nintendo's fault? They really seem to bend over backwards for Capcom, especially with regards to this series, so I think instead Capcom should be asked about their aversion to the system.

This.
Between MH and DQ, I'm getting tired of people thinking it's Nintendo's job to localize/distribute all the big games of a publisher.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
Da fuck? Capcom, baby, please don't do this me. I promise I can change. I will buy every release of MH instead of every 2nd/3rd and I'll even buy your overpriced low-ish quality special editions, just please don't do this to me.

Please.

Capcom cannot afford to bring XX to the West. The Company is already on life support when they cannot even fund their own games and need companies like Sony to step in to ensure major Franchises like Street Fighter get made.

Capcom is betting the house on Monster Hunter in the west chasing after consoles. A Handheld game is direct competition to the console game.

If Capcom actually was on life support this would be the easiest greenlight ever. It's free money with barely any investment. If the goal was to get everyone in on world it didnt work because I will not buy it if they dont localize XX and I bought Generations at launch.

antonz

They're already making the game and the game is already mostly localised from the OG Generations so excuse me if I'm not buying they can't afford it.

I mean they cannot afford it in the sense of competition. XX on Switch is competition for World.

Capcom is hell bent on Winning the West with Monster Hunter and that means World or GTFO.

ekim

No. We are not getting XX at all. The 3DS game coming this year is Stories, a turn based RPG.

Oh but XX is also coming to 3DS (in Japan at least), no? Still very weird. I mean - it's basically just text and generations was already translsated. This is the definition of missed opportunity.

I was told in the original rumour thread that "capcom is clearly all in on the switch"

I called it. A port of a 3ds game in a region safe country with almost guaranteed sales does not mean all in AT ALL.

I hope we get A MH game on switch eventually though. Probably when the user base WW is higher.

Camjo-Z

I struggle to imagine how doing a digital-only release of an expansion of an already translated game would break the bank.

redcrayon

ITT: Salty Monster Hunter fans so upset they're not getting an port of a 240p 3ds game that they're going to pretend that they won't buy world.
d8a.gif

I will see you all in 2018 brehs. Im keeping this thread bookmarked just to see how many of you crack.
Yeah, I'm not buying a PS4 and completely changing my gaming habits that shifted to portables due to parenthood and commuting just to play MHWorld. It can sit on a long list of cool-looking online games I no longer have time to play while tethered to a TV.

Yeah this is bullshit. It's betrayal-ton essentially. Was looking forward to this game but fuck that. Won't be buying Capcom games in the foreseeable future then.

ekim

I mean they cannot afford it in the sense of competition. XX on Switch is competition for World.

Capcom is hell bent on Winning the West with Monster Hunter and that means World or GTFO.

But world is not coming to Switch...

Namikaze

I don't get it at all...why wouldn't they localize it if they've been localizing most of the games since the PSP/PS2 days? Why not bring over MH world and this.

Sophia

Sucks, I wanted to get both MHXX for my eventual Switch and Monster Hunter World for at home. Plus, some of my friends don't have a PS4 yet ;_;

Ridley327

Thank god for region free

This does not help the people with no understanding of the Japanese language.

And I think anyone that offers that up as a consolation prize is being immensely unhelpful in this situation. We, as a community, have had to suffer so many tragedies as it is with missing out on MH2 on PS2, MHP3 on any system it came out on and the vanilla version of MH4, and now we're being told we can't have a game where more than half of it has already been localized. This is inexcusable.

This.
Between MH and DQ, I'm getting tired of people thinking it's Nintendo's job to localize/distribute all the big games of a publisher.

All I said was that I wanted to see Reggie try and answer why we aren't getting the follow up to a game in the west that was relatively successful over here and why Mon Hun seems to be skipping Nintendo where there is a dedicated fan base. The game is being made and will release in Japan. Asking about it in the west doesn't seem like a stretch.

kewlmyc

What a dumb decision. Switch user eat up any big release released on the platform. That was easy money right there.

Eolz

This is just to remind everyone that we will never get this.

To be fair, I never expected the LE to come here, even if we got one for every Nintendo MH so far.

That backstabbing seems familiar.
- an Ace Attorney fan

- a DMC fan
- a Megaman fan
- a MvC fan
- a Darkstalkers fan
etc

edit:
All I said was that I wanted to see Reggie try and answer why we aren't getting the follow up to a game in the west that was relatively successful over here and why Mon Hun seems to be skipping Nintendo where there is a dedicated fan base. The game is being made and will release in Japan. Asking about it in the west doesn't seem like a stretch.

Sorry, it wasn't aimed for you specifically, just seen a lot of reactions today that were like "it's fine, Nintendo will pick it up as usual anyway"...
It's been a bad day :(

KingBroly

Banned

They're not winning anything. They are making a gamble like they did with SFV, and it will turn out exactly the same. In failure.

linkboy

I'm not even a huge Monster Hunter fan, but Capcom can fuck right off.

There's no reason this game shouldn't be released outside of Japan. Decisions like this are just so freaking stupid that words can't describe it.

Ridley327

And why would anyone ask Reggie about a game that Capcom publishes? You may as well ask him why the Shadow of the Colossus remake isn't coming to the system.

Top Bottom