• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50+ indie games cancelled and still on for Wii U, in limbo, moved to Switch

Wii U is in an interesting position right now. Although Switch is the hot new thing, Nintendo’s older console still exists, and games continue to come out for the old console each week via the eShop. Just a couple of days ago for example, The Girl and the Robot finally hit Wii U after a nearly four-year wait.

Throughout Wii U’s lifespan, many indie games were announced for the platform. Many came out, but plenty never actually made it to the console. Since Wii U is starting to wind down at this point, we’ve attempted to investigate as many noteworthy, unreleased indie titles as possible to see if they’re still planned.

Our full findings are included below. Note that we’ve left out certain games that were reconfirmed for Wii U within the past few months, such as Hive Jump, Soul Saga, and Lobodestroyo.

Here is the list : http://nintendoeverything.com/50-indie-games-still-on-for-wii-u-in-limbo-moved-to-switch/

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd be more interested in a list of crowdfunded games that were either primarily promised for Wii U or added Wii U stretch goals that cancelled/never delivered on Wii U--that shit was chronic and in many cases it was obvious that it should never have been promised for Wii U to begin with, yet it kept happening (and people kept handing out money whenever the promise was made).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd be more interested in a list of crowdfunded games that were either primarily promised for Wii U or added Wii U stretch goals that cancelled/never delivered on Wii U--that shit was chronic and in many cases it was obvious that it should never have been promised for Wii U to begin with, yet it kept happening (and people kept handing out money whenever the promise was made).

It's because it kept working. People noticed big boosts when they added Wii U to their project, so people jumped on that train.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Need Ja-Rule to speak on WiiU indie support to know if its really over.

Madao

nintendo partially screwed over these indies by not offering some way for them to move their work to switch easily. how many people are still buying games on Wii U?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
nintendo partially screwed over these indies by not offering some way for them to move their work to switch easily. how many people are still buying games on Wii U?

If you read the article, almost every indie devs are interested or is planning to develop for Switch.

@MUWANdo

Banned

A lot of them screwed themselves by missing their own prospective release schedules by years. Shit happens.

Oregano

Who's fault is that tho

Not mine, never funded one and don't plan on changing that any time soon.

Regarding a bunch of Kickstarters, heh, that's actually a good point.

I was always amazed that people would forgive them if they offered refunds despite the fact that it happened once the finished product was on sale and making money and not when it hypothetically would have become apparent it wasn't happening.

They are now doing it with the Switch

EDarkness

Yay! My game is on that list! Still coming to the Wii U. Not sure about the NS, though I did reach out to them the other day to see what we could do on that front.

jholmes

I don't see why people have to be coy about stuff like Assault Android Cactus. If it ain't coming, just tell me so I can play it on PC.

Do really want Aztez on the Wii U, though.

Man that article's title really threw me off.

Yeah the headline is a clusterfuck. There are 50 games on that list, each of which does (or doesn't!) fit into one of those three categories.

I was always amazed that people would forgive them if they offered refunds despite the fact that it happened once the finished product was on sale and making money and not when it hypothetically would have become apparent it wasn't happening.

Occasionally something happens with a Kickstarter beyond the creators' hands -- for example, the Lobodestroyo guys got taken for a ride by Ouya. But when someone takes your money and uses it, as you say, as an interest-free loan, I neither forgive nor forget. It's clear in hindsight why some of these devs couldn't get regular funding in the first place.

However I will say that in my case, I backed these while the Canadian dollar was at par with the U.S. dollar, so I do come out ahead on refunds.

It sounds like a number of these ran into performance problems due to Unity being very badly optimized for Wii U, but that's just my conjecture.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yay! My game is on that list! Still coming to the Wii U. Not sure about the NS, though I did reach out to them the other day to see what we could do on that front.
'We can give you a ticket with a number on it, sir.'

GulAtiCa

My own Wii U game, Drop It: Block Paradise! Is still coming to Wii U. In lotcheck now. Hoping for July release. Been working on it for 2 & half years.

EDarkness

'We can give you a ticket with a number on it, sir.'

Heh, heh. Pretty much. No big deal, though. I have my hands full with the Wii U version at the moment. (Working on that now as a matter of fact.) If they get back to me or not, doesn't really matter that much. I was just kinda curious whether or not it could happen since people ask me all the time if the game can come to the NS. They're pretty busy over there, so I don't expect to hear anything anytime soon.

It sounds like a number of these ran into performance problems due to Unity being very badly optimized for Wii U, but that's just my conjecture.

Yeah. Unity and Wii U don't mix. It's unfortunate, but here we are. I just hope I can get my game running at a nice 30fps, but it's not there yet.

Paz

Where's Paz?

I need to know if AAC is coming to Switch.

I don't see why people have to be coy about stuff like Assault Android Cactus. If it ain't coming, just tell me so I can play it on PC.

Not really being coy, game development is just hard.

Nothing new to say sorry.

Yeah. Unity and Wii U don't mix. It's unfortunate, but here we are. I just hope I can get my game running at a nice 30fps, but it's not there yet.

Hope you can get where you want to be.

Smasher89

These cancelations/moving from console is partly why I got a PS4 in the switch releaseweek instead. Only got one of the indiegame that was for wii u so far but it was a great game, also at a discount!

EDarkness

Wii U indie holdouts need to give up the ghost. That shit is dead.

*shrug* Dev kits aren't free, so I'm gonna go with the Wii U just so I can actually release a game using that dev kit. Maybe some folks will just write off the cost, but I figure if I'm gonna go through the trouble, then there's no point in half-assing it. Maybe the market potential is small, but at least I can justify the cost.

GulAtiCa

Hahaha. Good luck. I've been trying for 8 months now. Going to be a long wait. One day we will both get in!

@MUWANdo

Banned

That's true of Unity and other middleware like Construct but the other issue is that a lot of the indies that came to Wii U in particular simply had no idea what they were doing, either by promising a Wii U version or developing for Wii U at all.

The flipside to having such an open platform is it attracts beginner developers who don't necessarily know how to optimize a game for any platform or engine and who have never even finished a project before; I'm not saying those people should be excluded--I think Nintendo took the right approach and I hope they resume something similar on Switch--but it quickly became easy to spot the pros from the hobbyists when it came to Wii U announcements.

They are now doing it with the Switch

It's not going to happen to the same degree with Switch because a) the hardware and middleware support is a lot better by default, and b) the number of literal amateurs developing for the system is going to be extremely low, at least in the short term.

Top Bottom