• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Will I finally be able to see what games have been updated again? Seriously that asterisk did wonders before the NOXE killed it.

SDMG

I know this might not be the right thread, but can someone send me an invite to the preview program. My gamertag is Post Up

WadeitOut

Oh god I better be able to disable Cortana. I don't want any of this nonsense near my console.

Stop it. And of course you don't have to use it. Just like with Windows 10.

As far as Kinect goes, I'm not wearing a headset for everything I do on My living room console. Still v dry much so using Kinect on that box.

ShutterMunster

I always wondered why they didn't let you use Kinect commands via the headset the second they unbundled those two. Good to see it arrive.

Kyzon

I just really want an actual Cortana on my Xbox. Like I want her to pop up and say, "Good morning, Kyzon" when I sign in.

Bsigg12

I just really want an actual Cortana on my Xbox. Like I want her to pop up and say, "Good morning, Kyzon" when I sign in.

It's going to sound real dumb but I'm excited to just say hey Cortana what's the weather going to be like today.

see5harp

I suppose I rarely have a headset connected to my contriller unless I'm in a situation when I wouldn't ever need voice controls. I suppose shortcuts like start a party with will be pretty cool although I never though that process was difficult to begin with.

link1201

I'm curious how likely/unlikely would it be to see a Nest app on UWP?

I'd love to be super lazy and just tell my Nest to turn on the heat/AC via the Kinect. Same with those smart light bulbs.

sonto340

Instant access to ready to install list is HUGE. I have over 100 games installed so having to scroll through all of them any time they make a 360 game BC or I buy a 360 game from the webstore was a pain.

muzzymate

I'd love to be super lazy and just tell my Nest to turn on the heat/AC via the Kinect. Same with those smart light bulbs.

I don't remember if it's UWP but there is a third party app in the Windows Store that controls the Nest. I would love for a Kinect enabled app that plugs into Cortona allowing me to control the Nest with voice commands. Of course, I would want that to work when the TV wasn't on either, so that would be a problem.

Edit: The app I use "Cozy" does already have Cortana abilities. Hopefully Microsoft opens up APIs on the Xbox enough that would allow apps to do the same on that platform.

I love how they abandoned the Kinect. Good for them.

I wish PS4 had better library management like this. The alphabetical view was nice.

ViciousDS

Banned
vik5ZHq.png

should I do it?

lol reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgieRaU7E1c

people in the beginning with call of duty ghosts with the name xbox turn off

Welfare

This update looks awesome!

If this is 1 of 2, then I guess that over the air DVR function will be in update 2.

Flintty

Holy shit here it comes, PC games on Xbox One, finally :D

Fingers crossed Gazillion get Marvel Heroes signed up, I need that on my Xbox.

see5harp

I'm glad that while they pivoted from Kinect, they are still making the device better for people that still have it plugged in. I still use my smartphone and Kinect while watching HBO Go or Netflix over using a controller.

I'm hoping that even if hey remove kinect from the Scorpio they will retain some sort of mic that won't require a headset.

I've gotten too used to turning on and controlling my TV with my voice.

JaggedSac

Since Google hates putting things on MS' app platforms, likelihood is close to 0.

Regarding the feed, I want options for things I dont want to see on there. I don't care about other people adding friends or their Cheetos.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm hoping that even if hey remove kinect from the Scorpio they will retain some sort of mic that won't require a headset.

I've gotten too used to turning on and controlling my TV with my voice.

They will have a device for people like you, it's called the Xbox One. ;)

Caayn

Don't expect any support from Google on MS platforms.

link1201

I don't remember if it's UWP but there is a third party app in the Windows Store that controls the Nest. I would love for a Kinect enabled app that plugs into Cortona allowing me to control the Nest with voice commands. Of course, I would want that to work when the TV wasn't on either, so that would be a problem.

Edit: The app I use "Cozy" does already have Cortana abilities. Hopefully Microsoft opens up APIs on the Xbox enough that would allow apps to do the same on that platform.
That'd be great, anyway I can achieve it would be fine by me.

Zedox

So MS adds a good thing and messes up a good thing (typical)

CNET

CNET said:
You should also know that one old Xbox voice command is going away: if you're used to saying "Xbox On" to turn on your game console from across the room, you'll need to say "Hey Cortana, Xbox On" once the Anniversary Update rolls out.

Now I have to say so many more words...smh.

CNET said:
Don't expect to see many Windows games on Xbox, though. Microsoft won't let developers self-publish those. They need to go through the ID@Xbox program and jump through contractual hoops.

The one thing that I was looking forward to. *sigh*

Somnia

CNET

I'm pretty sure they can still "Self publish" their games from Windows, they just have to sign up through ID@XBox and then they can publish their games.

Caayn

CNET

Don't you always have to jump through "contractual hoops" when you're self publishing on a storefront of another party? I can't imagine that other parties don't want a contract in place when you use their storefront to sell your stuff even if it's for a basic dev/storefront revenue split.

Zedox

I'm pretty sure they can still "Self publish" their games from Windows, they just have to sign up through ID@XBox and then they can publish their games.

Don't you always have to jump through "contractual hoops" when you're self publishing on a storefront of another party? I can't imagine that other parties don't want a contract in place when you use their storefront to sell your stuff even if it's for a basic dev/storefront revenue split.

Yes, I know you can self-publish but you can put a game on the Windows Store much easier and less hassle than going through ID@Xbox. More akin to iOS/Android stores. Not being able to have those games easily accessible by Xbox gamers is a ":(" to me.

Top Bottom