• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Lord of the Rings movie?

kmfdmpig

The fact that there are people that prefer each of the three is a testament, I think, to the overall quality of the trilogy.

I don't think anyone would take the time to decide which of the Hobbit movies was best (or more accurately least bad).

I remember the first few minutes of FOTR at the theater. I knew that they nailed it, and throughout the whole film I was in awe of what they created. I was hoping that the movies would be good, but had never dreamed that they would be so good.

strafer

WU4JKGd.png

Choomp

Banned
Surprised by lack of Return of the King answers here. That's mine. Need to check the extended stuff out

Also Desolation of Smaug was good! Let it be up there. Rest of that trilogy was kinda bad though

Zoon

Forgot to mention that I'm still salty that they cut this scene from FOTR
The original concept for the battle included Sauron and Gil-galad's duel, and Sauron seizing Gil-galad by the throat when the High King fell; the heat of Sauron's hand would cause the Elf-lord to burst into flames. However, this scene was cut.

Forgot to mention that I'm still salty that they cut this scene from FOTR

They could have put it in the EE but I understand why they'd not want that in the theatrical edition. So much world building to accomplish in a few minutes you have to trim the fat.

jett

D-Member
The only Hobbit movie I liked was the first one. Second one really felt overlong, and the third one was just a major turd.

So no, Desolation cannot be up there with the real ones.

smurfx

get some go again
fellowship i can watch by itself. i can't watch two towers or return of the king without watching them in order first.

Extended Fellowship for heart, theatrical Return of the King for spectacle, Two Towers for one of the best battle scenes ever filmed in terms of being able to follow all the action on all fronts. Love the whole trilogy though, but ROTR is the only one where I don't really recommend the extended version, though its definitely worth a watch for fans.

The Hobbit as a lesson of how to get it wrong.

Durock

Extended Return of the King for me. So many different emotions felt in that film. The incredible charge with Theoden and the Rohirrim in the Pelennor Fields; the heartbreaking ending and moment when Sam starts carrying Frodo up Mount Doom; the scene when Saruman is killed... So many awesome things accomplished in that film. There’s a reason it won 13 Oscars ;)

Fellowship by far. I think it's on of the best movies released in the 2000s. Gandalf the Grey, Boromir, Balrog, so many good things. I've always liked small scale battles over large scale ones. With small scale, all the characters matter. With large scale you get to watch a bunch of random Gondor soldiers die:

Fellowship overall, but when I think "best of Lord of the Rings" I immediately think of the battle at Helms Deep. Helms Deep was that good. If the rest of Two Towers was as good as Fellowship it would win handily.

Extended ROTK for sure. Just a bunch of different stories, connecting, and a finale that gives me way too many feelings, excitement and some superbly great moments. I just enjoy that film so much.

Still amazing they dragged that out as long as they did. You could tell The Hobbit movies were basically done to please the studios.

Also, I don't own the trilogy on Bluray. All I got is this.

Need to change that.

51TDPQMTN0L.jpg

I frankensteined together an "ultimate" blu-ray set using my old Extended DVD books, thanks to Target holiday sales a couple years ago. One week they had the blu-ray Theatrical trilogy at 10 bucks (like, the whole thing was 10 bucks) and then I think at the end of the month they had an exclusive where they could sell the individual EEs on blu (but w/ no extras) for 10 bucks each.

Since the extras on the EE blu-ray set are just Standard Def anyway, I took the disc of extras from the Theatricals, the Theatrical disc, and the 2 discs of the EE blus, and put them in the corresponding DVD box set, and then used the theatrical case to hold the EE bonus features.

The Two Towers is the weakest one, but they are all great and function more like one long 9 hour movie than 3 seperate parts.

Fellowship was probably the best.

I got the extended in the old box dvd but have rhe theatrical on blu ray. Which is the best wsy to rewatch.

The extended versions also have the appendices which are almost more entertaining than the films themselves

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fellowship extended easily. Most fantasy lore, more story telling.

The last 2 movies are basically 75% epic battles where nearly everyone dies, somehow the army recovers and grows, and repeat. Then a ghost army cheat card.

hydruxo

I really like Two Towers a lot. I don't know that it's the best per se, but it's certainly the one that stuck with me the most.

-griffy-

Banned
Wait. The fuck. I fucked up and none of you called me on it. I credited "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard" as being from FOTR because I confused it with that other scene of Legolas standing on some rocks looking at stuff in the distance.

Top Bottom