• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla: a TV series set amid the British Black Power movement of the 1970s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

A love story set against the backdrop of one of the most politically explosive times in U.K. history.

A politically active couple (Freida Pinto, Babou Ceesay) help liberate a political prisoner (Idris Elba) and form a radical underground cell in 1970s London.

Guerrilla will premiere on Sky Atlantic on April 13 and on Showtime April 16.]

This looks good! John Ridley (12yrs a Slave) created this.

Lots of black dudes with London geezer accents is always cool.

I'm assuming. I really enjoyed those black guys in Snatch. "'Course i am"

Mesousa

Banned
Oh dear.

And his response....

“I don’t want to make this overly personal, but part of why I chose to have a mixed race couple at the centre of this is that I’m in a mixed race relationship. The things that are being said here, and how we are often received, is very equivalent to what’s going on right now [in the wider world]. My wife is a fighter, my wife is an activist, and yet because our races our different there are a lot of things we have to still put up with.”

Lol.

Gonna be a sad day when black women get tired of our shit.

“I don’t want to make this overly personal, but part of why I chose to have a mixed race couple at the centre of this is that I’m in a mixed race relationship. The things that are being said here, and how we are often received, is very equivalent to what’s going on right now [in the wider world]. My wife is a fighter, my wife is an activist, and yet because our races our different there are a lot of things we have to still put up with.”

Lol.

Gonna be a sad day when black women get tired of our shit.

Hotep: The Series?

Ugh! I love American Crime...but knowing that response just ruins everything.

Mesousa

Banned

Wonder where that goes.

If black people, women especially, have turned on it then it is DOA. Especially in America on showtime since black women are the main audience for these black historical dramas. Looking at her superimposed over Angela Davis is so shocking its hilarious. Surely an American director cant be this tone deaf?

Wonder where that goes.

If black people, women especially, have turned on it then it is DOA. Especially in America on showtime since black women are the main audience for these black historical dramas. Looking at her superimposed over Angela Davis is so shocking its hilarious. Surely an American director cant be this tone deaf?

They gon' learn one day. Taye Diggs learned the hard way. LOL

jmood88

Wonder where that goes.

This is to be expected from the guy who wrote The Manifesto of Ascendancy for the Modern American Nigger.

SystemBug

i mean i get the indian casting, but i think a whole other show needs to deal with that.

like about 30 million indians were literally starved to death thanks to British colonization

Condom

i mean i get the indian casting, but i think a whole other show needs to deal with that.

like about 30 million indians were literally starved to death thanks to British colonization
Agreed, that especially is a forgotten crime and history that needs it's own thing.

they will do anything to avoid casting a black woman. this is clearly a move to make the show more receptive to white audiences even though a legit black power show could do numbers in this climate. sad.

And let's not forget about Churchill and what he thought about Indians...I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.

As for not casting a black woman in the lead supporting role and the reason for it, pretty shitty reasoning and it kinda makes me less interested.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Variety - TV Review: John Ridley’s ‘Guerrilla

“Guerrilla” is a surprisingly wrenching story about good intentions going awry. The event series sketches out how radicalism happens by offering up a landscape where it seems not just sympathetic but inevitable, in a politically charged climate in the midst of the Cold War.

Collider - ‘Guerrilla’ Review: John Ridley Goes to England to Consider Civil Rights & the Radical Left

That Guerrilla makes this point so clear without feeling as if we’re in the pews is triumph enough. The fact that the Showtime series ends up such an increasingly addictive watch is an unforeseen but welcome bonus.

Entertainment Weekly - Guerrilla: EW Review

While the relational drama is intrinsic to the show’s investigation of revolutionary character, there are some twists and turns that got my eyes rolling. Still, the various storylines coalesce to produce a suspenseful, surprising finale, and the arcs of Marcus and Jas are compelling.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The series premiere is tonight!

A politically active couple, Marcus Hill and Jas Mitra, form a radical underground cell in 1970s London. In the opener, Marcus and Jas are targeted by Special Branch's Black Power Desk, led by police officer DCI Nicholas Pence and his deputy, Cullen.

kevin1025

Banned
John Ridley strikes again, really enjoyed the first episode. I mentioned this in the spring TV thread, but I hope this gets some attention, with all of the massive shows returning or currently airing at the moment. It's going to get some acting nominations, at the very least.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty solid, though it felt to me more like a second episode than a premiere. I would have liked a bit more of an introduction to the characters and their world before the events of the premiered transpired.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked the first episode. I wonder what they'll do next.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Marcus and Jas are forced to lay low in a safe house, as Dhari and Leroy pursue a dangerous and controversial mission. Feeling marginalized, Jas brings London to a standstill when she does something unthinkable.

Pachimari

Hmm, I've seen the two episodes now and it's a little hard getting into it, probably because of the slow pacing and me not being able to relate to anything that's going on. I see that the blacks are being oppressed in this 70's London, and that Jas and her husband Marcus are trying to create a resistance to all of this. I might just not have paid enough attention and been day dreaming while watching, but
have I understood it right, that this Kent guy is the political guy they got out of prison and now don't believe in their resistance? And that there's this sub division of black people who rather steal and sell drugs on the black market because that earns them money, instead of believing in fighting back the government
?

"Ascended blacks", hoo boy. Sounds like "one of the good ones" malarkey.

In the forty years since the Deal was brokered, since the Voting Rights Act was signed, there have been successes for blacks. But there are still too many blacks in prison, too many kids aggrandizing the thug life, and way too many African-Americans doing far too little with the opportunities others earned for them.

If we as a race could win the centuries-long war against institutionalized racism, why is it that so many of us cannot secure the advantage after decades of freedom?

That which retards us is the worst of "us," those who disdain actual ascendancy gained by way of intellectual expansion and physical toil—who instead value the posture of an "urban," a "street," a "real" existence, no matter that such a culture threatens to render them extinct.

"Them" being niggers.

I have no qualm about using the word nigger. It is a word. It is in the English lexicon, and no amount of political correctness, no amputation into "the n-word"—as if by the castration of a few letters we should then be able to conceptualize its meaning without feeling its sting—will remove it from reality.

So I say this: It's time for ascended blacks to wish niggers good luck. Just as whites may be concerned with the good of all citizens but don't travel their days worrying specifically about the well-being of hillbillies from Appalachia, we need to send niggers on their way. We need to start extolling the most virtuous of ourselves. It is time to celebrate the New Black Americans—those who have sealed the Deal, who aren't beholden to liberal indulgence any more than they are to the disdain of the hard Right. It is time to praise blacks who are merely undeniable in their individuality and exemplary in their levels of achievement.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom