• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are too many shows starring neurotic white guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triteon

Dierks Gently, the country singer?

The rough, broke and kind of slighty slimey holistic detective written by Douglas Adams

The show misses most of/all of that and doubles down on quirk.

I still liked the show in spite of that as the story was pretty fun.

PKrockin

There's too many of these white guys who are super squeamish, whine about everything, and then gather confidence to do something super ballsy out of nowhere which impresses their standoffish female love interest, only to return to being whiny weirdos. The worst part about them is that they seem so much like author self-inserts, probably the creator directing his fantasies and making them into a TV show.
I think you just described the male lead of 30%+ of all anime.

I just realized like half the podcasts I listen to are hosted by neurotic white guys.
latest

I kept on thinking Paul Rust in Loved was related to him.
paul_rust_love.jpg

mlclmtckr

Banned
Love is so bad.

One of the actors on that show is a family friend and I tried to watch it out of support and I just couldn't.

Actually the whole cast is made up of people I really like. I was really surprised at how much I hated it.

Love is so bad.

One of the actors on that show is a family friend and I tried to watch it out of support and I just couldn't.

Actually the whole cast is made up of people I really like. I was really surprised at how much I hated it.

Which one, if you can divulge?

Corpekata

Banned
Am amazed Silicon Valley isn't in the OP given Richard is basically that type of character to the Nth degree, especially in the 1st season. Or Man Seeking Woman that just ended.

I would disagree with people handwaving it away as shows no one watches or that are bad. Most of the shows the OP listed are fairly critically acclaimed and star pretty big names for TV shows like Barrymore and Elijah Wood.

That's why I can't bring myself to watch season two of The Magicians.
I think you just described the male lead of 30%+ of all anime.
This gets me every time too. Complain about problem, cry, give inspirational speech and then do something to win over female counter part.

Chumley

Banned
Love is so bad.

Gillian Jacobs is great in it too, but Paul Rust drags it all down to a halt. Cast someone else in his part even with the same dialogue and the show would be a lot better, people say they have chemistry but I've never seen it at all. Every step of the way it makes no sense to me why Mickey is drawn to him, I get that she's in recovery and wants a stable guy as a boyfriend, but she could get literally anyone. The show just makes no sense, Gus is flinging away girls left and right yet Mickey appears to get no interest from anyone besides Gus, her horrible ex-boyfriends, and Andy Dick.

caliph95

Guess the industry is full of neurotic white dudes and write and you know an all. Nothing wrong with that i like few those shows.

neoanarch

Someone posted a question in the Man Seeking Woman OT thread about why the show wasn't more popular. This is exactly why. It might be a bit more surreal than the rest. But it's still the same character arc. It's the same basic comedy show character that has been done to death.

Someone posted a question in the Man Seeking Woman OT thread about why the show wasn't more popular. This is exactly why. It might be a bit more surreal than the rest. But it's still the same character arc. It's the same basic comedy show character that has been done to death.
It's true but their married arc has been interesting, and the relationship surrealism is still the selling point for me. We all know it's not going to be a super complicated relationship. It's no Master Of None.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
All you need to know about The Grinder

tumblr_o16lytXz3K1qlqunwo5_250.gif

It was one of my favorites, then it got canceled.

I loved that show so much. I hate the entertainment business sometimes. Most of the shows I loved got cancelled. The Grinder, Grandfathered, Almost Human. Loved them, then they were gone. I barely watch much TV these days because most of the shows I got even remotely interested in got cancelled. Constantine was another. Started out okayish, but then began to develop into a really fun, interesting show, then the axe came down.

As for the OP, I understand what he's getting at, honestly. The vast majority of modern shows are aping one another, and it eventually begins to feel like it's running together. Like the current obsession for workplace sitcoms to feature quirky, cynical, self absorbed yet somehow "likable" assholes. It doesn't mean the shows themselves are bad, but the new template is already wearing thin, and not every workplace sitcom can be 30 Rock and Parks and Rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom