• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Kart on the US Wii U eShop without warning

JB2448

BuXnMNHCAAAni3R.jpg
To correct the OP: You can search by new releases to find Super Mario Kart. Probably the easiest way.
It's on the North American Wii U eShop, but it doesn't have a page on Nintendo.com or a Miiverse community yet. The release date is listed for today, August 6th, and you DON'T have to search for it manually (thanks, jholmes! I'm zero for three!). You can buy it right now.

What's with Nintendo doing this with highly requested VC games? At the very least a little fanfare would help sales, right? I mean, this isn't as bad as how they launched Earthbound, but still.

Someone explain NOA logic to me? The rest of the world got it ages ago. But no, NOA decide to hold it back because it will sell better if they launch it without warning, away from their other downloads. They probably won't mention it in the PR either (or it will be small print also sthis week section aka we can't be bothered to write/copy paste PR info for this section)

Murrah

Banned
What's with Nintendo doing this with highly requested VC games? At the very least a little fanfare would help sales, right? I mean, this isn't as bad as how they launched Earthbound, but still.

What? Didn't Earthbound get a whole trailer and a bunch of push from social media? This is just completely out of left field.

Richie

Within the Wii U VC thread it was said that it came with discount, is that true? Or was the poster referring to the Wii-WiiU upgrade?

EDIT:

I was referring to the upgrade discount

Ah gotcha! You'd think they'd wait until tomorrow to promote it alongside the other releases, but hey, not complaining. Will upgrade my Club Nintendo copy once I get home.

Qwark

Anybody else have trouble going back and playing that game? Those Mode7 graphics and ~15-ish (?) fps make me want to ralph.

atr0cious

I'll take the credit for this. Last week I filled out 10 club nintendo surveys and in every box asking about how I felt about the Virtual Console, I all caps'd yelled at them, saying it was a disgrace SMK wasn't on there yet. So you're welcome.

What? Didn't Earthbound get a whole trailer and a bunch of push from social media? This is just completely out of left field.
I could have sworn that Earthbound was only heralded by a small announcement on Nintendo's webpage a week before release... With no prior hints that it was coming.

Fuck yeah! upgrading my Wii download now :D

I'll take the credit for this. Last week I filled out 10 club nintendo surveys and in every box asking about how I felt about the Virtual Console, I all caps'd yelled at them, saying it was a disgrace SMK wasn't on there yet. So you're welcome.

you and me both pal ;)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Anybody else have trouble going back and playing that game? Those Mode7 graphics and ~15-ish (?) fps make me want to ralph.

Same.

I am too used to modern Mario Kart mechanic, plus the AI cheats really badly in this game by pulling items out of nowhere.

Mumford

I'm glad to see that Nintendo is still supporting the SNES and not just exclusively releasing GBA games now, but come on Nintendo. You've got to be more regular with these.

Kriken

Got this from CN a while ago for the Wii VC, time to upgrade. I really wish they'd get their stuff out faster though, shouldn't have taken this long to get to the Wii U VC

tolkir

Nah, Team Top Hat has been protesting every week for 2 months on Nintendo Downloads.

atr0cious

No, it's my third favorite MK behind MK8 and Double Dash. The old handling model still lives up to memories, and it was really annoying loading up the Wii side just to play this.

Nah, Team Top Hat has been protesting every week for 2 months on Nintendo Downloads.

For just SMK? Good. It should've been out last year. They probably thought it was already out, which would explain how it's out on a nonupdated day.

Good to see it there (finally), but lack of fanfare only further illustrates NOAs incompetence with the Virtual Console.

Sir TapTap

WTF? Not even a tease or a mention before it's out, okay. Not my fav Mario Kart but definitely a classic. Good to see them putting more good stuff on VC. Hope the no-marketing doesn't indicate a lack of confidence in VC.

jholmes

Oh wow, a thread!

To correct the OP: You can search by new releases to find Super Mario Kart. Probably the easiest way.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I see no point in owning this when I have far better Mariokarts at my fingertips. Why would anyone want to race on flat tracks?

It's so sad that I'm excited for this. But here I am, excited over the re-release of a game I've purchased before. Said re-release was already released elsewhere months ago but, again, still excited.

Nintendo sure does know how to lower expectations.

Bog

Junior Ace
I could have sworn that Earthbound was only heralded by a small announcement on Nintendo's webpage a week before release... With no prior hints that it was coming.

Earthbound was announced in a Nintendo Direct like 6 months prior. The actual release was a surprise though.

Murrah

Banned
As much as I love this game and I was really yearning to play it a few months ago when my Mario Kart hype was at a fever pitch, probably gonna have to pass on it until a sale or something. NoA really is baffling with this stuff.

Someone explain NOA logic to me? The rest of the world got it ages ago. But no, NOA decide to hold it back because it will sell better if they launch it without warning, away from their other downloads. They probably won't mention it in the PR either (or it will be small print also sthis week section aka we can't be bothered to write/copy paste PR info for this section)

NoA blows and has been getting worse over time. There's an odd NoA defense force that lurks around here, though, so I'd watch your back...

jholmes

It's on the North American Wii U eShop, but it doesn't have a page on Nintendo.com or a Miiverse community yet. The release date is listed for today, August 6th, and you DON'T have to search for it manually (thanks, Jonathan!), but it's there. You can buy it right now.

I'm not Jonathan Holmes, but you're welcome.

Rocky

Banned
$1.50 upgrade, as with all SNES games.

Awesome. Man I love getting VC games with my CN coins, then I only have to pay $1-$1.50 for them when the upgrade to Wii U is available.

Much more reasonable than $5 for NES games and $8 for SNES games.

Top Bottom