• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Swag

squicken said:
I loved FO3 and can't wait for this. But I've got a few questions:

1. I've pre-ordered through Steam. Will it pre-load, or will I have to download the whole thing next week?

Pre Load should start this weekend if not already.

As i posted in a previous thread, hardcore mode sounds great. However it will probably mean getting killed by weak enemies all to often. Instead/alongside hardcore mode they should have added 'survivor mode' where the enemies stay the same difficulty yet you still have to eat/drink/sleep to stay in tip top condition, maybe on a sliding scale, so the easier the difficulty, the less often the water etc is needed. Maybe they could add this in a patch ? For me fallout is all about the experience of the wasteland, and having the need for water and stuff would add to it, it's just a shame that the enemies will be harder aswell, unless i've got it wrong ?

Wallach

Jamesearlcash said:
As i posted in a previous thread, hardcore mode sounds great. However it will probably mean getting killed by weak enemies all to often. Instead/alongside hardcore mode they should have added 'survivor mode' where the enemies stay the same difficulty yet you still have to eat/drink/sleep to stay in tip top condition, maybe on a sliding scale, so the easier the difficulty, the less often the water etc is needed. Maybe they could add this in a patch ? For me fallout is all about the experience of the wasteland, and having the need for water and stuff would add to it, it's just a shame that the enemies will be harder aswell, unless i've got it wrong ?

I think you do have it wrong, at least somewhat. Hardcore mode is a separate selection from the difficulty setting. You can play Hardcore mode on "Easy" if you want.

Hardcore mode should only modify the following things:

- Stimpack healing
- Ammo weight
- Limb healing
- Radiation poisoning
- Sustenance/Sleep requirements

duckroll

Jamesearlcash said:

As pointed out, hardcore mode is exactly the survivor mode you are asking for. It is a setting, not a difficulty level.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hardcore mode doesn't sound 'hardcore' at all, though. It just means you'll constantly have to stop what you're doing to make sure you've eaten enough food, or to make sure you've slept, blah blah blah. It was bad enough having to deal with rapidly disintegrating guns in Fallout 3 and this just sounds like it piles tedium on tedium.

The only thing I like is that ammo carries weight. I wish I could have just that, while everything else stays the same.

Wallach

Seanspeed said:
Hardcore mode doesn't sound 'hardcore' at all, though. It just means you'll constantly have to stop what you're doing to make sure you've eaten enough food, or to make sure you've slept, blah blah blah. It was bad enough having to deal with rapidly disintegrating guns in Fallout 3 and this just sounds like it piles tedium on tedium.

The only thing I like is that ammo carries weight. I wish I could have just that, while everything else stays the same.

It's "hardcore" because Fallout is supposed to be a game about surviving in an environment where very few things survive.

Just leave it on Casual and carry less ammo if you don't want to deal with the changes.

Arjen

Wow, didn't realize this was coming out next week.
Loved Fallout 3, so day 1 for me.
Hardcore mode sounds interresting, but í think i'll stay with the regular mode for the first playtrough. I don't want to get frustrated at first, i'm afraid i'll never tough it again if that's the case.

onken

I dunno, I loved Fallout 3 and I really want to like this game too, but I can't quite shake the "soulless cash-in Bioshock 2" vibe I get from it. Maybe if I had some time with it I would change my mind.

Great thread title though :lol

Lakitu

st5fu
Ready to lose myself in another Fallout. :D Fallout 3 is one of my top games of the generation.

I'm going to find all the rarest loot, no matter how long it takes me :D

Denzar

Really really pumped for this!

Loved Fallout 3 and spent a good chunk of my life with that game. I hope I can say the same about NV.

Also, I get a free T-Shirt for pre-ordering the game (which I will proudly wear!):

banner_falloutnewvegas.jpg

Thread title made me laugh too.

duckroll

onken said:
I dunno, I loved Fallout 3 and I really want to like this game too, but I can't quite shake the "soulless cash-in Bioshock 2" vibe I get from it. Maybe if I had some time with it I would change my mind.

Great thread title though :lol

I think the main difference here is that Bioshock 2 was clearly "more Bioshock by some other dudes", while Fallout: New Vegas is actually something a lot of long time Fallout fans have really been hoping to see - Obsidian getting a shot at making a new Fallout. It could well turn out to be a disappointment, but at least from a creative point of view, it's much more interesting a project than Bioshock 2 ever was.

Wallach said:
I think you do have it wrong, at least somewhat. Hardcore mode is a separate selection from the difficulty setting. You can play Hardcore mode on "Easy" if you want.

Hardcore mode should only modify the following things:

- Stimpack healing
- Ammo weight
- Limb healing
- Radiation poisoning
- Sustenance/Sleep requirements

Wow, sweet that has made my day, do you know if the 'hardcoreness' of the hardcore mode is effected by how difficult the game is ? I'll be playing on normal i guess. Can't wait now, can you imagine the delight of finding a settlement after a brutal trek in the wasteland just as you are about to die, that for me is what it is all about. I rarely used food/sleep etc in fallout 3 as it was pointless if you had a stimpak.

Wallach

Jamesearlcash said:
Wow, sweet that has made my day, do you know if the 'hardcoreness' of the hardcore mode is effected by how difficult the game is ? I'll be playing on normal i guess. Can't wait now, can you imagine the delight of finding a settlement after a brutal trek in the wasteland just as you are about to die, that for me is what it is all about. I rarely used food/sleep etc in fallout 3 as it was pointless if you had a stimpak.

Not to my knowledge. Hardcore/Casual is simply a "one or the other" type setting. The changes from altering the difficulty slider are completely separate from them.

Note that you can change from Hardcore to Casual mid-game if you are finding it too difficult or frustrating, but you cannot change from Casual to Hardcore mid-game.

duckroll

Jamesearlcash said:

No, there are no different levels of "hardcoreness" in hardcore. Hardcore mode simply forces the player to be much more conscious about decisions both in terms of character creation and inventory. In theory this will increase the level of actual roleplaying in the game, as certain skills will become much more useful, specialization in something will be more rewarding, and what you decide to bring with you in your inventory will have a lot more direct consequences on how well you can survive in a fight and in the wilderness.

Hopefully the game is well balanced to cater to making hardcore mode as fun as I'm expecting. Because it could make it a totally different experience from Fallout 3, and something really special.

Edit: This Wallach guy keeps beating me at posting replies which are both more helpful, and also shorter. I need to either use less words, or just accept that his Fallout avatar gives him more bonuses while posting in a Fallout thread.

onken

duckroll said:
I think the main difference here is that Bioshock 2 was clearly "more Bioshock by some other dudes", while Fallout: New Vegas is actually something a lot of long time Fallout fans have really been hoping to see - Obsidian getting a shot at making a new Fallout. It could well turn out to be a disappointment, but at least from a creative point of view, it's much more interesting a project than Bioshock 2 ever was.

I see what you're saying, but how many of the original Black Isle people are now working at Obsidian? Surely it must be a completely different company to what it was back in the F1/2 days.

e~ I am liking the sound of hardcore mode, I must admit.

Despera

Banned
duckroll said:
No, there are no different levels of "hardcoreness" in hardcore. Hardcore mode simply forces the player to be much more conscious about decisions both in terms of character creation and inventory. In theory this will increase the level of actual roleplaying in the game, as certain skills will become much more useful, specialization in something will be more rewarding, and what you decide to bring with you in your inventory will have a lot more direct consequences on how well you can survive in a fight and in the wilderness.

Hopefully the game is well balanced to cater to making hardcore mode as fun as I'm expecting. Because it could make it a totally different experience from Fallout 3, and something really special.

Edit: This Wallach guy keeps beating me at posting replies which are both more helpful, and also shorter. I need to either use less words, or just accept that his Fallout avatar gives him more bonuses while posting in a Fallout thread.

But that doesn't change the fact that playing hardcore on Normal will be easier than playing it on Hard.

Wallach

duckroll said:

Sir, I am Fallout.

Also, it's been a while since I said it, so... OMG BOZAR BOZAR BOZAR

Despera said:
But that doesn't change the fact that playing hardcore on Normal will be easier than playing it on Hard.

I wouldn't think so. If you're not playing on Hardcore, you can spam Stimpacks to stay alive, and can even repair damaged limbs with them. You'll also be able to carry as much ammo as you want on top of that.

Edit - The chem stuff is actually wrong I think. I am not sure if those wound up staying changed.

duckroll

Despera said:

Yes but that's combat difficulty. Playing casual on Normal will also be easier than playing it on Hard. The Hardcore flag only changes the way the game works on several layers, but those layers do not change based on difficulty.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Can't believe it's already been two years since Fallout 3 came out. Super stoked for this, I'll probably play once normally and then again on hardcore once I know the story and such.

I'm undecided as to when I should pick this up. I loved Fallout3 to death (even playing the PS3 version) but never got around to playing the DLC. I'm going to get the GotY version at some point as a Platinum trophy without 100% next to it just looks weird, but unfortunately I'm on a new PS3 so don't have my old save file. While I have no problem starting again it would mean a big time commiment.

So where does New Vegas fit into this. Well I'm wondering what it'd be like to go back to FO3 after playing NV, would the changes and improvements render FO3 a little bit harder to get into?

Also has there been any mention of the DLC plans for this game, if there is any? While I would happily play this as soon as possible, for someone going straight into it the Fallout 3 GotY represented an astonishing level of value and if something similar was to happen with NV I might wait it out (and bump this thread next year).

Wizman23

Banned
Can anyone who has been following the development of this game tell me what is new to the game compared to Fallout 3? Did the shooting mechanics improve so it can be played as a legit FPS now? That is my main concern.

duckroll

Wizman23 said:
Did the shooting mechanics improve so it can be played as a legit FPS now?

Fallout is a RPG series, not a FPS. I suggest you find another franchise to play if that is your main concern.

X26

Banned
Despera said:
The map seems to be as big as Fallout 3's. But I have a feeling there's so much more to do this time around.

isn't there somethign ridiculous like 70 more quests too?

Pre-orderd from Amazon and so excited to play. Might have to wait as something a bit more exciting might be happening in the next week. The birth of our second child.:D

syllogism

Some strategy guide info bits, slight "numerical" spoilers.

73 sidequests
42 hollowed out rocks
51 Skill books (less skill books but they add +3 to skills or +4 with Comprehension perk)
213 Skill magazines (these will add +10 to skills but only last a small amount of time, can be longer with Retention perk and get +15 with Comprehension Perk)
42 different Unique Weapons (some only available WITH Wild Wasteland, others only available WITHOUT Wild Wasteland
8 deathclaw types Deathclaw Baby, Young Deathclaw, Blind Deathclaw, Deathclaw, Deathclaw Alpha, Deathclaw Alpha Male, Deathclaw Mother and Legendary Deathclaw.
All the books + Comprehension + 10 INT at 30 lvl grant you about 780 bonus skill points out of 1300

Having low int isn't as detrimental now as you get 10.5 skill points level with INT 1 and 15 with int 10

Minsc

Gold Member
duckroll said:
Fallout is a RPG series, not a FPS. I suggest you find another franchise to play if that is your main concern.

You a fan of the older titles too? I had no idea you enjoyed this series!

I'm definitely liking the way this game sounds the more and more I read of it, I hadn't been paying much attention to it because I never got around to Fallout 3, but it sounds like Fallout 3 with the Wanderer's Edition mod is my idea of a good time. I feel like I have to give Fallout 2 another chance first, I got lost half way through it somehow, and couldn't figure out what I had to do to progress the story further. Enjoyed it, but like Fallout 1 much more.

Kurtofan said:
70 side quests!!!?
That's crazy,there was just 30 side quests in Fallout 3,no?

That was a let down with Fallout 3 having little side quests.
I remember playing Oblivion which bethesda previously released and that had shitloads of quests in it.

Wizman23

Banned
duckroll said:

I understand that, was just asking what improvements were made to the game from Fallout 3 which I played and understand that it is an RPG. So if anyone can actually answer my questions, it would much appreciated.

Wallach

Wizman23 said:
I understand that, was just asking what improvements were made to the game from Fallout 3 which I played and understand that it is an RPG. So if anyone can actually answer my questions, it would much appreciated.

From what I've heard, yes. I think they added more traditional iron sights on most weapons in free-aim mode.

duckroll

Minsc said:

I'm definitely liking the way this game sounds the more and more I read of it, I hadn't been paying much attention to it because I never got around to Fallout 3, but it sounds like Fallout 3 with the Wanderer's Edition mod is my idea of a good time. I feel like I have to give Fallout 2 another chance first, I got lost half way through it somehow, and couldn't figure out what I had to do to progress the story further. Enjoyed it, but like Fallout 1 much more.

Fallout 2 is an excellent game. Playing Fallout 2 when it was released was a less than excellent experience though. It was pretty damn buggy, and sometimes weird things would happen to your saves between patches. But nothing as painful as playing Daggerfall. Even over decade back, Black Isles was still showing Bethesda who's boss when it comes to CRPG design. Here's hoping they get to school them again next week. :)

Wallach said:
From what I've heard, yes. I think they added more traditional iron sights on most weapons in free-aim mode.

Sights is one thing, but based on Alpha Protocol, I'm not sure if playing the game as a FPS would end up being very enjoyable at all.

Fitz

Wizman23 said:

As far as I know the only changes to the combat are the ability to properly iron-sight (not that that makes any difference other than looks, unless you mod out the cross-hair) and special attacks in VAT with certain weapons like golf clubs. So it will play out pretty much the same.

Wallach

Minsc said:

If you ever get back around to it and get lost again, shoot me a PM. Personally I think Fallout 2 is quite a bit better than 1, and sooooo much of New Vegas sounds like how they approached Fallout 2.

duckroll

What I like best about Fallout 2 is that it's a really open and exploration based game. It's really a "make your own story" adventure with great writing and lots of interesting sights. Fallout 1 is a very different experience in that it's more urgent and more personal. You have a much more driven mission, and most of the game is written around people interacting with your character, rather than your character interacting with the world. It might seem like a small distinction, but the tone results in a very different game.

Wallach

duckroll said:
What I like best about Fallout 2 is that it's a really open and exploration based game. It's really a "make your own story" adventure with great writing and lots of interesting sights. Fallout 1 is a very different experience in that it's more urgent and more personal. You have a much more driven mission, and most of the game is written around people interacting with your character, rather than your character interacting with the world. It might seem like a small distinction, but the tone results in a very different game.

Oh yeah. In fact Fallout is downright dry compared to Fallout 2 in a lot of ways. Right out of the gate Fallout is like "I ARE SERIOUS CAT, THIS ARE SERIOUS RPG" and it doesn't get funny or interesting at all for a while.

Fallout 2 is much more open and thankfully much less stiff across the board. A little less consistent at times, but to me that was meaningless compared to all of the fun I was having.

Plus it had OMG BOZAR.

syllogism said:
Some strategy guide info bits, slight "numerical" spoilers.

8 deathclaw types Deathclaw Baby, Young Deathclaw, Blind Deathclaw, Deathclaw, Deathclaw Alpha, Deathclaw Alpha Male, Deathclaw Mother and Legendary Deathclaw.

Oh sweet Jesus.

Top Bottom