• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX 4 being developed by Criterion ?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If Criterion was smart, they'd stealth-update Burnout Paradise with new DJ Atomica lines teasing a new SSX...Valve style

Let's get some shit straight though...

-Keep the one mountain layout. It made for some incredible runs.
-Fuck motion controls.
-Get Mix Master Mike back!
-Original cast members are a must.
-Mercury City.

disappeared said:
Let's get some shit straight though...

-Keep the one mountain layout. It made for some incredible runs.
-Fuck motion controls.
-Get Mix Master Mike back!
-Original cast members are a must.
-Mercury City.

How do you say one moutain and mercury city?

If they kept one mountain I wouldn't have a problem if they as someone else said would have special outside levels like mercury city meltdown and tokyo megaplex. Knowing this is EA though and knowing this gen they'll probably be DLC.

I don't remember the cast from 3...so I hope the cast from Tricky is in.

Snakeyes

- I'd prefer separate tracks like Tricky but if they really have to go the 3 route, then have separate mountains with various over-the-top tracks on each one.
- Less realistic approach than 3.
- Bring back the unique characters from the original SSX/Tricky.
- Bring back rivalries and let players pick a rival from their friends list online.
- No stat customization besides the custom character, with the main characters' stats being a bit higher than custom stats.
- Build Your Own Board Mode (importing images from your computer would be amazing if possible).
- Custom soundtracks

I don't know what it was, but DJ Atomika just worked in SSX3. In Burnout Paradise it felt off. Not really sure why, but I'd accept Atomika in the next SSX.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
BigBadShamoo said:
I don't know what it was, but DJ Atomika just worked in SSX3. In Burnout Paradise it felt off. Not really sure why, but I'd accept Atomika in the next SSX.

Count me in as an atomika defender as well. He was a big part of what made SSX3 feel so cohesive and amazing. Weather updates, little anecdotes about what's going on on the mountain, etc.

BigBadShamoo said:
Yeah you know, I would too. I'd still rather have multiple locations though. The one big mountain sounds like a great idea, but all it really amounted to was a bunch of linear runs linked together.

big_z

Wario64 said:
If Criterion was smart, they'd stealth-update Burnout Paradise with new DJ Atomica lines teasing a new SSX...Valve style

they did have a new ssx teaser in burnout for a while then it was removed when the game went on indefinite hold. if it's been brought back from the dead that would be awesome especially if criterion is working on it.

Stackboy

I love whenever an SSX thread shows up, but this one has to be the best in a while.

I loved Burnout Paradise and SSX3 is easily one of my favourite games ever. Bring on an E3 announcement (of an announcement).

stuminus3 said:
Why would you guys insist on calling it "SSX 4? I understand On Tour and Blur weren't numbered sequels, but neither was SSX "2" (Tricky).

Note: I know what the answer to this question is, but fuck you, Blur is awesome.

Because SSX3 was called SSX3, insinuating Tricky was the proper 2nd title in the series.

If they call this SSX4, it would mean they are literally saying "Blur and On Tour never existed". :lol
And I hope that's what they do. Fuck those games and fuck them for putting SSX into obscurity.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Neuromancer said:
Yeah you know, I would too. I'd still rather have multiple locations though. The one big mountain sounds like a great idea, but all it really amounted to was a bunch of linear runs linked together.

But the 30 minute end-run was frigging awesome.

jetsetfluken said:
Because SSX3 was called SSX3, insinuating Tricky was the proper 2nd title in the series.

If they call this SSX4, it would mean they are literally saying "Blur and On Tour never existed". :lol
And I hope that's what they do. Fuck those games and fuck them for putting SSX into obscurity.

Also On Tour and Blur were kinda remixes, with lots of old tracks re-used. Blur was better than On Tour though, just putting it out threre. I'm kinda over the whole insane trick thing so I'm definetly behind a more realistic / racing focused version

neorej said:
But the 30 minute end-run was frigging awesome.

This too.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
BritBloke916 said:
amusingpopcultureimageindicatingapproval.gif

If this existed, I don't know when the hell I'd ever play anything else.

Shaun White snowboarding has freeroam, does it not?

neorej said:
Shaun White snowboarding has freeroam, does it not?
I don't think so but the Stoked series does, you can go anywhere on the mountain and they're huge. Good game but has no where near the personality of SSX.

Truespeed

Is there still speculation whether Criterion is developing a snowboarding game or has it been confirmed? If any EA team is working on an SSX type game then wouldn't money be on the Skate team in Canada who at least have a history with the sport.

BJK

I jump to the end of the thread, thinking someone bumped some of the old speculation (e.g. the DJ Atomica references in Burnout Paradise).

...then I see that all of the responses came in the past two days, and I'm excited that something must have been announced. Finally!

...then I get to the first page, and it's more speculation without a firm announcement.

The circle of hype is once again complete, and I have been teased with the idea of a (good) sequel to one of my favorite games once again.

Played SSX Tricky and 3 on my GameCube. I prefer the tech / controls of 3 over tricky (everything handles smoother, better treatment of snow and ice, loved the board press and the monster tricks, all-time favorite licensed game soundtrack), but I prefer the game / design choices from Tricky (non-homogenized character stats, board selection as more than just appearance, over-the-top levels like Tokyo Megaplex and the Aloha Ice Jam, loved the trick-book as a way to open up new equipment, not to mention the odd audio clips whenever you found a secret area).

On Tour was an aesthetic mess (not to mention being less fun, losing any remaining sense of character individuality), and Blur royally messed up uber-tricks (not to mention the horror of trying to do slalom events). Stick to Tricky and 3 when designing the new one....and for God's sake, bring back their voices....David Arquette and Macy Gray need the work!

BJK said:
Played SSX Tricky and 3 on my GameCube. I prefer the tech / controls of 3 over tricky (everything handles smoother, better treatment of snow and ice, loved the board press and the monster tricks, all-time favorite licensed game soundtrack), but I prefer the game / design choices from Tricky (non-homogenized character stats, board selection as more than just appearance, over-the-top levels like Tokyo Megaplex and the Aloha Ice Jam, loved the trick-book as a way to open up new equipment, not to mention the odd audio clips whenever you found a secret area).

This is a really good summary, actually. I think Tricky provides much better actual level design, both for aesthetic appeal while playing and for actual racing gameplay (especially with the various paths and secrets, carefully designed ubertrick spots, etc.) and the stat approach is way better but there are elements of 3 that are improved in terms of actual control.

I really can't get behind people in this thread who want to take SSX in an increasingly realistic direction, though. There have been tons of realistic-styled snowboarding/skiing games in the history of videogames but pretty much nothing else with an awesome stylized approach like SSX.

Truespeed said:
Is there still speculation whether Criterion is developing a snowboarding game or has it been confirmed? If any EA team is working on an SSX type game then wouldn't money be on the Skate team in Canada who at least have a history with the sport.
Unless I missed something it's all speculation at this point.

This thread got me all motivated to put in both Tricky and 3. I started with Tricky, managed a race and a showoff and then on the next showoff it froze and made a buzzing noise. I put in 3, and started down the mountain, went to my first event, got halfway through slope style, it froze.

Dammit, I want to play, what's up stupid backwards compatible PS3?

bridegur

While TrickStyle wasn't an amazing game, it did have some unique, crazy level design. If Criterion is indeed making the new SSX, I hope they'll make use of that experience.

danmaku

GDJustin said:
Count me in as an atomika defender as well. He was a big part of what made SSX3 feel so cohesive and amazing. Weather updates, little anecdotes about what's going on on the mountain, etc.

He...? Holy shit, in the italian version she's a woman!
Mind blown.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
BritBloke916 said:
The SSX part is quite important to me. Although I hear that Shaun White is a reasonable purchase for Wii owners with a balance board.

Yeah, I've got it at home, it really nails the snowboarding-feel quite well. It doesn't have the freeroam though. I think that was just reserved for the PS360.

Time to bring this back up, cause I'm either confused, or in Heaven...

http://twitter.com/CriterionGames/status/14444221233

Game looking very good and sounding very good today.

But then

http://twitter.com/CriterionGames/status/14235408735
Red Lining It.... 11:58 AM May 18th via web

...Need for Speed?

http://twitter.com/CriterionGames/status/14148090296
Monday. Can't wait to see the new "X" and the latest work on "Y' 3:45 AM May 17th via web

Or are they really working on two games, both NFS and SSX?

Need for Speed: SSX

a mario kart like cross-over, including trhiling races descending snowy moutains against up to 6 competitors (4 players online) with engaging Super Deformerd graphics to enjoy SSX famous caracters inside prestige cars, ModNation Style.

Wario64 said:
SSX3 is awesome and stuff (30 minute run) but one of my favorite moments in SSX was unlocking "Untracked" and having Finished Symphony playing in the soundtrack. spiderman_so_good.gif

Yes yes yes, I loved this track so much. The Untracked level in Tricky was so amazing-- music and gameplay perfection.

DonMigs85

Roofy said:
ok its been forever since i've played an SSX game.

which one should i go back to play?
I still like 3 best overall, but playing as the Mario characters in On Tour (GCN) is pretty fun.

Salaadin

chixdiggit said:
SSX+Criterion? Just show me where I need to swipe my debit card.

Pretty much.

Make a game with the style and flair of Tricky but the content and scale of SSX3. Ill buy 2 copies and all of the DLC released.

Top Bottom