• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Oh man, as someone who never got away from Sword 'n Board, I finally tried out a 2H strength run. Maybe things will change later because I'm not terrific at rolling. But I started out with a Warrior, got 22 str and farmed up a GreatAxe in the very first zone (man that was quite a lot of attempts on that single GreatAxe hollow, but I got it).

I got it to +3, then traded a firebomb and the crow and drove away the Drake at Tower on the Wall to get 2x Large Titanite and up to +4... and this thing is just destroying everyone. It pretty much 1-shots most common enemies. If they can survive a hit, they are usually stunned long enough for a second or third strike, and they go down. It made real short work of Bordt and Curse Rotted Greatwood.

I even had a good fight just at the entrance to the swap with a Watchdog of Farron, who was using pyro and a 1H axe of his own. Between my super slow weapon and my lousy PvP skills I didn't think I would win, but a couple of good hits with a fraction of a second for a stun and he went down.

Very fun! I'm really looking forward to seeing how far I can get and what a new weapon may be like.

I just finished Ashes of Ariandel and was super underwhelmed tbh. Is The Ringed City better, or similar to this? I was going to play through both DLC's before playing 1 but I kind of feel like I wasted my money on Ashes tbh and don't want to feel that way agian.

I really enjoyed both; for me though, I like exploring the world much more than I like the boss fights, so Ashes having only 2 bosses really didn't bother me at all... I found exploring that snowy wilderness inch by inch immensely satisfying. I didn't time it, but it took me between 4-6 hours to complete the zones and find pretty much every secret.

Ringed City is also excellent: although I feel like I enjoyed the first two or three areas more than the actual "city" part... not that it is bad in any way, just that I liked the other parts more.

But those bosses! For someone like me who plays this so slowly and deliberately, I find the bosses really quite hard. I've only beaten the first one, but the last three I haven't gotten up the courage to go back to them yet. But if you love bosses, I hear they are some of the best ;)

Oh man, as someone who never got away from Sword 'n Board, I finally tried out a 2H strength run. Maybe things will change later because I'm not terrific at rolling. But I started out with a Warrior, got 22 str and farmed up a GreatAxe in the very first zone (man that was quite a lot of attempts on that single GreatAxe hollow, but I got it).

I got it to +3, then traded a firebomb and the crow and drove away the Drake at Tower on the Wall to get 2x Large Titanite and up to +4... and this thing is just destroying everyone. It pretty much 1-shots most common enemies. If they can survive a hit, they are usually stunned long enough for a second or third strike, and they go down. It made real short work of Bordt and Curse Rotted Greatwood.

I even had a good fight just at the entrance to the swap with a Watchdog of Farron, who was using pyro and a 1H axe of his own. Between my super slow weapon and my lousy PvP skills I didn't think I would win, but a couple of good hits with a fraction of a second for a stun and he went down.

Very fun! I'm really looking forward to seeing how far I can get and what a new weapon may be like.

Not using a shield in this game is 100% of the reason why this game clicked with me when the others didn't

Trakan

Been playing through the game with
Gael's Greatsword
and Wolf Knight Greatsword. It's pretty damn fun flipping around killing everything.

Not using a shield in this game is 100% of the reason why this game clicked with me when the others didn't

Well I cleared Cathedral and Watchers and it's still going strong. I missed my other large shard in Cathedral though, JUST as a killed one of the giants and the large shard was dropping, I got summoned to someones else world. When I got back, the shard was gone :(. There won't be a way to go into Catacombs with a +5 now, because you only get the 4 shards between the 2x giants and the swamp. Ah well, still clobbering things with this axe ;)

What has made the biggest difference to me is that enemies I used to be scared of, Greatshield Cathedral Knights, and those huge moose/deer enemies in the swamps, this axe ruins them. Maybe 3-4 hits tops to take out even a big enemy makes all the difference in the world. With 1H straight sword and shield, it took so long to kill those guys that it was almost assuredly going to run out of stamina and take a few big hits.

Now this makes me want to try out FUGS :D

How is that? If anything, shields are stronger than ever in this game. Half of the bosses can be beaten just by holding your shield up, strafing to the right, and having the boss's attacks go right over your head, or blocking them and getting easy hits for minimal risk.

How is that? If anything, shields are stronger than ever in this game. Half of the bosses can be beaten just by holding your shield up, strafing to the right, and having the boss's attacks go right over your head, or blocking them and getting easy hits for minimal risk.
It's not that being shield-less made it easier, it just made it a lot more engaging. The biggest thing that made me bounce off of every souls game in the past is that I was playing very conservatively behind a shield and it made the combat much too slow. I'm probably dying a lot more now in Dark Souls 1 that i'm not playing without a shield, but the pace is a lot quicker and it's a lot more active and enjoyable

I don't think shields are inherently bad or anything, just for my personal enjoyment there's a night and day different between with and without

Has there ever been any sort of explanation for what happened with Ashes of Ariandel? It's such a massive step down in quality from the main game and absolutely horrible compared to The Ringed City. Why are the first two areas just huge empty fields? Why does it spam so many enemies? Why is it just a shameless recycling of ideas from Dark Souls 1 without adding or elaborating upon them? Why is the boss so unfathomably cheap?

NinjaBoiX

Is Irithyll Dungeon an optional area? I just happened upon it fumbling around Irithyll, trying to find the boss and to be honest it really doesn't look like an area I can be arsed with if I don't have to.

Coincidentally, where is the boss?

Is Irithyll Dungeon an optional area? I just happened upon it fumbling around Irithyll, trying to find the boss and to be honest it really doesn't look like an area I can be arsed with if I don't have to.

It's not optional. There isn't a boss. heehee.

Jobbs

Banned

If you go beyond the dungeon there's
another small area after it that contains one of the lords of cinder.

So, no, not optional.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

This area is also a segue into one of the coolest and most challenging optional areas in the game. I'm not even going to spoiler tag this because you'll either have to look it up or get exceedingly lucky to find the access point. Good luck!

neoemonk

I started going no shield in Dark Souls 2, and continued with Dark Souls 3. I definitely recommend it. I hid behind my shield in Demon's and Dark 1 though, so I was ready for a change.

I've never played a 2H weapon/strength character, and I've never gone super tanky/heavy armor, and those are both things I've considered dabbling in on a later playthrough of Dark 3.

This area is also a segue into one of the coolest and most challenging optional areas in the game. I'm not even going to spoiler tag this because you'll either have to look it up or get exceedingly lucky to find the access point. Good luck!
I was thinking
Profained Capital? Really?!....
But then I remembered! :)

NinjaBoiX

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm in
Profaned Capital
now, I assume this secret area is somewhere here? You can just tell me in spoilers if you want, I'll just look it up on YouTube anyway!

I went back and did the
Smouldering Lake
, killed the boss and grabbed a load of materials. But is there some way up to the thing firing arrows?

Also, where has Greirat gone?!? I sent him to pillage some more goodies hours ago, I figured his return might be tied to killing a boss or getting to a new area but I've killed two bosses and found about 4 new areas since he last left...

Edit: I've just read on the wiki that I can only get
Spook
if I haven't killed the
Abyss Watchers
yet, which I have. Is that true?

You can turn off the big ballister in Smouldering Lake, explore the Demon Ruins more, there's a few illusory walls and a way up.

The secret area:
Archdragon Peak
, remember the
dead people sat cross legged looking out over a vista?... Come back here when you get that gesture later in the game and use it here.

Greirat eventually dies if you send him out too many times and his ashes can be found in the
sewer with the creepy insect women things in Irythyll.
. Not sure about the last one.

Cat Party

You can turn off the big ballister in Smouldering Lake, explore the Demon Ruins more, there's a few illusory walls and a way up.

The secret area:
Archdragon Peak
, remember the
dead people sat cross legged looking out over a vista?... Come back here when you get that gesture later in the game and use it here.

Greirat eventually dies if you send him out too many times and his ashes can be found in the
sewer with the creepy insect women things in Irythyll.
. Not sure about the last one.
If you do Greirat's "quest" correctly, you send him to Lothric on his last trip.

Soulblighterr

Neo Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm in
Profaned Capital
now, I assume this secret area is somewhere here? You can just tell me in spoilers if you want, I'll just look it up on YouTube anyway!

I went back and did the
Smouldering Lake
, killed the boss and grabbed a load of materials. But is there some way up to the thing firing arrows?

Also, where has Greirat gone?!? I sent him to pillage some more goodies hours ago, I figured his return might be tied to killing a boss or getting to a new area but I've killed two bosses and found about 4 new areas since he last left...

Edit: I've just read on the wiki that I can only get
Spook
if I haven't killed the
Abyss Watchers
yet, which I have. Is that true?

If you went to Irithyll Dungeon before talking to Siegward in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, Greirat is most likely dead. There are two people who can save him when you send him on his second thieving trip, Siegward and Patches (if you didn't purchase Siegward's armor from him)

NinjaBoiX

Aww, he was my arrow salesman! I'm sure I can get them elsewhere. I did send him out twice, I figured he was spry enough to take care of himself!

But I've looked under the sewer bridge in Irithyll and couldn't see his body. There should be a glowing item visual que right?

Maybe he's still alive...

Soulblighterr

Neo Member
Aww, he was my arrow salesman! I'm sure I can get them elsewhere. I did send him out twice, I figured he was spry enough to take care of himself!

But I've looked under the sewer bridge in Irithyll and couldn't see his body. There should be a glowing item visual que right?

Maybe he's still alive...

You can give his ashes to Shrine Handmaid and she will sell all the items he was selling.

His body is in the tunnel on the left just before the bridge that leads down to the Distant Manor bonfire.

Saving him in Irythyll has to do with Seigward and Patches. It's a bit convoluted but as long as you speak to Patches and/or saved Seigward from the Cathedral well then he should be saved. if not his ashes are in the sewer part right in the far corner with three of the insect things around it (they are there even without the ashes, looking at the space where they would be).

So I started playing again to finish up where I left off last year. Has From up the summon rate for Darkmoon and the others or do I actually have to farm still? Should I just go into NG+?

It is very convoluted. I've had Greirat die because I went to the dungeon too early.

Finally beat (Ashes spoilers)
Blackflame Friede
using the Sellsword Twinblades. This weapon annihilates every other boss, so them being rather bad for this fight was frustrating. Constantly escaping and running away from every attack and you can't get your combos for the real damage. And of course the dual greatswords make that fight into easy mode because they're one of the few weapons that actually CAN stunlock that boss, whereas their L1 combo is very situational against most other bosses.

Cat Party

I've now played through the game with 3 builds. Faith, Quality, and Pyromancy. What's another good build to play that will let me use unique power weapons?

Yhorm is probably actually easier without the Storm Ruler, just much slower. His moveset is based around assuming you're moving very slowly because you have to charge the weapon art, and without the slow walk you can simply walk between his legs, attack, repeat. Or dodge and hit him in the head then riposte if you have a large weapon.

I've now played through the game with 3 builds. Faith, Quality, and Pyromancy. What's another good build to play that will let me use unique power weapons?

What do you mean by power weapons?

NinjaBoiX

OK, I'm actually not really sure where to go now. I feel like I still need to be in Irithyll but there doesn't seem to be anywhere I haven't explored...

I haven't fought a boss yet either.

(I found Greirat's ashes though, RIP)

Tarkus

OK, I'm actually not really sure where to go now. I feel like I still need to be in Irithyll but there doesn't seem to be anywhere I haven't explored...

Try to explore the water area or the roofs

Ugh, are there still hackers in this game? I got invaded by 3x Aldritch Faithful in Anor Londor... I actually beat 2 of them in what I thought were pretty good battles... it wasn't quite 2v1, but the other guy wasn't exactly staying out of it either.

Finally I take on the third guy (he was mostly sitting out) someone named "no name". I hit 3-4 times and it did zero damage. A couple of times he was just standing there eating it and jiggling his weapon. Then he proceeds to kill me. Okay, whatever, what an uncool way to end my 3v1 could-have-been victory. But then he's doing the "stay down" point and stuff as I die, as if there was huge skill involved on his part... bah!

You've fought Pontiff Sulyvan? Have you fought Aldrich? If not, there's still more to explore after Pontiff's boss room.

Irythyll Dungeon has no boss, but leads to another are, Profained Capital, that has a boss. Both these directions are mandatory, not optional. The dungeon is a bit of a homage to 3-1 in Demon's Souls and is a bit confusing in it's layout/symetry.

Oh man, this Midr fight... not really liking it. I feel like Im just constantly running from one side of a giant arena to another to do 1-2 hits, then sprint again back to the other side. And it seems way harder if you summon phantoms to help... pretty much everyone dies, and then you are stuck with a scaled up boss solo, usually with 75% of health left :(

Soulblighterr

Neo Member
Oh man, this Midr fight... not really liking it. I feel like Im just constantly running from one side of a giant arena to another to do 1-2 hits, then sprint again back to the other side. And it seems way harder if you summon phantoms to help... pretty much everyone dies, and then you are stuck with a scaled up boss solo, usually with 75% of health left :(

Just watch his movements for the first few fights. He's pretty predictable. The strategy I used was hit his head ---> run towards his tail when he breathes fire downwards ---> hit his tail. Rinse and repeat.

The one move you absolutely have to dodge is his tail swipe when you are behind him. It will insta-kill you if you don't have enough hp or take out 70% of your hp.

EasyMode

Always attack the head, it takes extra damage:

image.php

Plus by staying in front of him as much as possible, you'll minimize the amount of running around he does.

Just watch his movements for the first few fights. He's pretty predictable. The strategy I used was hit his head ---> run towards his tail when he breathes fire downwards ---> hit his tail. Rinse and repeat.

The one move you absolutely have to dodge is his tail swipe when you are behind him. It will insta-kill you if you don't have enough hp or take out 70% of your hp.

Always attack the head, it takes extra damage:
Plus by staying in front of him as much as possible, you'll minimize the amount of running around he does.

Finally got it! I was managing to dodge the boss most times, but with a good shield and 40 stam you can tank the tail swipe, and even stand in the fire (Black Iron set + Black Knight Shield, 40 stam), so that was not usually the problem.

The problem was that my phantoms would get killed and then I'd be stuck with a powered up Midir.

1h 24m and I managed to get him by wearing the skull ring (in a desperate attempt to keep his attention on me) and with the help of a great sunbro Krelm the Lad.

I wish I knew that staying in his face would stop the running! As you can see I was always trying to hit his legs and tail, so there was a lot of sprinting back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuhMhWpwzc&t=2s

I love this series, but for now I feel relieved, I'm done all the DLC and endings. One day I'll go back and get the "all spells", etc achievements, but for tonight anyways... that's a wrap :)

_Legacy_

Man, it took me ages to finally beat the final boss
Gael
of Ringed City. Had to cheese it in the end with
Storyteller's Staff
which worked wonders. Glad to finally finish all the DLC for this game, I didn't bother with Midr though but didn't really care for him anyway.

I wonder why they didn't add achievement for the DLC, feels a bit weird. I'm sure the DS2 DLC had achievements.

NinjaBoiX

OK guys, can I get some direct advice on progress please? I really don't know where to go at the minute...

So I think I've exhausted
Profaned Capital
, I killed
Yhorm
and done everything obvious in the area but I can't fathom where to head next! I assume I'm meant to be in
Irithyll
as I haven't fought any bosses yet but all the areas seem cleared of things to do.

The bonfires I have open are:

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
Central Irithyll
Church of Yorshka
Distant Manor

I could head back into
Ariandel
but I'm not really feeling it...

Also, build advice would be wonderful while I'm here:

Soul level - 63

Vigor - 16
Attunement - 12
Endurance - 30
Vitality - 22
Strength - 11
Dexterity - 37
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 8
Luck - 9

Equipment:

Uchigatana +5
Black Bow of Pharis +7
Grass Crest Shield +2

Thanks guys.

EasyMode

OK guys, can I get some direct advice on progress please? I really don't know where to go at the minute...

So I think I've exhausted
Profaned Capital
, I killed
Yhorm
and done everything obvious in the area but I can't fathom where to head next! I assume I'm meant to be in
Irithyll
as I haven't fought any bosses yet but all the areas seem cleared of things to do.

The bonfires I have open are:

I could head back into
Ariandel
but I'm not really feeling it...

Also, build advice would be wonderful while I'm here:

Continue exploring Irithyll from the Distant Manor bonfire via the flooded basement with those spider lady monsters.

You should definitely level up Vigor or upcoming bosses will kill you in 1 or 2 hits. If you haven't already given your Uchigatana a Sharp infusion, you should do so. Sharp scales with Dexterity (which you have a lot of), and should increase your damage.

Trakan

Continue exploring Irithyll from the Distant Manor bonfire via the flooded basement with those spider lady monsters.

You should definitely level up Vigor or upcoming bosses will kill you in 1 or 2 hits. If you haven't already given your Uchigatana a Sharp infusion, you should do so. Sharp scales with Dexterity (which you have a lot of), and should increase your damage.

He can get to a +7 weapon as well before fighting the Irithyll boss, which I'd recommend doing.

Edit: Didn't see you had a +7 bow. Nevermind.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, getting the bow to +7 before the uchi sounds like a really odd decision unless you're really an archery-focused character...

I second all of the above, was gonna post the exact same 3 points haha (flooded basement, upping VIG and making the uchi +7 and Sharp).

If you're not sure where that flooded basement is, Ninja, warp to Distant Manor, and backtrack outside instead of going down the stairs, then make a right once you're outside. You should see a tunnel leading into a watery area with the monsters EasyMode described.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
On this note - is upgrading bows worth it? I'm running a dex build right now and have only really used my Black Bow of Pharis as a means to pull enemies.

Does the damage get good enough to be a feasible means of killing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
On this note - is upgrading bows worth it? I'm running a dex build right now and have only really used my Black Bow of Pharis as a means to pull enemies.

Does the damage get good enough to be a feasible means of killing?
Yes, though it'll usually still take a couple of arrows. On a dex build I'd say it's definitely worth upgrading, especially if you get headshots often.

NinjaBoiX

Cheers for the advice guys.

So I got a sharp infusion on my Uchi, jumped from 208 to 230 damage! Win. (Am I best sticking with this or are there better Katana style, quick slash weapons for me to go for?)

I spent my next three upgrade points with one more on Dex (because I can't help myself) to bring it to 38 and two on vigour to bring it to 18. I've got to be honest, I always put as little as possible into my health bar purely because it's like a safety net stat to me, I need this in case I suck! :p But I hear your point, it's no good if you're getting one shotted later on. I'll probably pump it up to 20 max, I figure vitality gives me damage reduction that's as good if not better to my mind (the side stat increases are of more benefit that vigour to me). I always focus on dex and endurance so I can slash the fuck out of fools!

I upgraded the Pharis over and above my katana because it's a kickass weapon (been a favourite throughout the series) that clearly benefits a dex build that I always go for. Plus, it's nice to be able to snipe tough enemies, even if only to wittle them down a bit. My Uchi is decent as is, but I will be upgrading it to +7 at the nearest opportunity.

In terms of my shield, I know there are better options for physical defence but damn I love that stamina regen, let's you stay in the midst of battle! I think I'll stick with it for now.

But to the real issue, I've explored the flooded basement and gone into the grand Anor Londo style room with all the paintings but there didn't seem to be anything to do other than kill the enemies. Did I miss something?

Side note: is there a worthwhile upgrade path to take my bow down for my build? I understand I can't infuse it with sharp but is there anything else that would benefit me?

Talking about builds, I never got a perfect one in DS3.

All my favorite armor and weapons are from DS2, and no one made it to the third game. Red Rusted Sword, Loyce Greatsword, Bow of Want, Forlon Armor, the stone bracelet thingy...

I have to settle for a Claymore then.

But to the real issue, I've explored the flooded basement and gone into the grand Anor Londo style room with all the paintings but there didn't seem to be anything to do other than kill the enemies. Did I miss something?

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley has two directions:

DOWN: the dungeon and the profaned capital
UP:
anor londo

It sounds like you already did the down direction, if you beat Yorhm that's the end of that branch, it does not continue on you have to turn around.

Did you kill
Pontiff Sulyvahn
yet?

The place you are describing as the "Anor Londo style room with all the painting"; I'm not 100% certain where that is? Is it the building atop of the submerged basement, where the silver knights are? There is an exit at the back that takes you up a set of stairs with sorcerer hollows and dogs, through another minor building, and up again to get to
Pontiff Sulyvahn
. There is an important shortcut to open (a lift) just after the first set of stairs where the dogs are. When you get to the
Pontiff Sulyvahn fog gate, don't go in right away; there are another set of stairs leading down to open a gate with a shortcut that leads back to the Church of Yorshka bonfire.

And as for build, I usually go for 27 vigor (gives an even 1000 hp), it's definitely saved me more than once. I know, "git gud" and all that, but its exhausting (for me) to have to worry about doing a run perfectly. Some times you slip up and that HP makes the difference between downing some estus, or restarting at a bonfire. It's especially useful if something unpredictable like an invasion happens when you have been making good progress but are not at the next bonfire yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

So I got a sharp infusion on my Uchi, jumped from 208 to 230 damage! Win. (Am I best sticking with this or are there better Katana style, quick slash weapons for me to go for?)
The Chaos Blade has higher damage, but chips away at your health and isn't buffable. You get it later in the game as loot. Later you get some pretty sweet paired katanas as loot that are good for inflicting bleed with Carthus Rouge.

I spent my next three upgrade points with one more on Dex (because I can't help myself) to bring it to 38 and two on vigour to bring it to 18. I've got to be honest, I always put as little as possible into my health bar purely because it's like a safety net stat to me, I need this in case I suck! :p But I hear your point, it's no good if you're getting one shotted later on. I'll probably pump it up to 20 max, I figure vitality gives me damage reduction that's as good if not better to my mind (the side stat increases are of more benefit that vigour to me). I always focus on dex and endurance so I can slash the fuck out of fools!
Heavier armour is next to worthless. Don't bother with VIT unless you need to wield a really heavy weapon. For more survival chances, boosting VIG is always better than wearing better armour, in all of the games really.

Yes. That room with the paintings has an exit which continues on deeper into the outside of Irithyll and eventually leads to the boss.

Side note: is there a worthwhile upgrade path to take my bow down for my build? I understand I can't infuse it with sharp but is there anything else that would benefit me?
Not really, no. I think my dex used Pharis the entire time she's had it.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks Oracle and Morrigan for the help.

Yeah, the "Anor Londo" room is the one you guys guessed at, I clearly missed the door! I'll head there now.

Good advice about Vitality and Vigour, I guess I shouldn't have put so much into vitality as I'm all about being lightweight and nimble. Ah well, at least it's not crazy high that I've wasted so many souls on it!

As for the weapons, I don't like the sound of the chaos blade, I use the ring that gives you attack boost at full health, that would be at odds with the chaos blade. I was just wondering if there were any other katana style weapons (Iaito?) that might be better, I know the washing pole exists but I get the feeling that weapon is more about reach than damage?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There isn't a iaito-style weapon in this one, as far as I know. And yeah I guess the Chaos Blade won't work so well for you. Washing pole is more about the reach, indeed, it's not necessarily stronger, maybe on a quality build.

The 2nd DLC does have a stronger katana, but that's pretty far off for you.

Top Bottom