• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Feep

Banned
Belfast said:
Interesting ideas, Feep. Finally putting all those years of DDR to good use? If there's ever a PC version, count me in!

I'm Orange, by the way.
:O

Hey, so, this is a little late, but here's the FINAL LAUNCH TRAILER I worked so hard on today. I hope you all enjoy it.

Spoilers: hot girl
and hot guy
alert.

Belfast

I won't lie. I always wanted someone to take the formula of a dance/rhythm game and splice it with other (non-puzzle) genres. Good to see someone finally has. :)

Feep

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Feep! If I buy the game will my savegame from the peer review version work?
Good question...and honestly, I don't know. Save games are stored in a directory created from the internal game data, and I'm not sure if Microsoft changes the internal naming data between Peer Review and Release.

Maybe others could chime in here?

Feep said:
Good question...and honestly, I don't know. Save games are stored in a directory created from the internal game data, and I'm not sure if Microsoft changes the internal naming data between Peer Review and Release.

Maybe others could chime in here?

The save files will not work.

Faithless

I don't have much to add, but as a voice actor on this game, I wanted to chime in and say congrats to Feep. Glad most of you are enjoying the game.

Just saw this on Eurogamer, awesome work man!

I remember you starting this project in the XNA thread, and you giving me valuable help with my project. I'm so happy you stuck with it and made something brilliant.

Congratulations.

I realize your company probably has nothing to do with this decision, but do you have any idea why the flying fuck I have to be logged into xbox live to play your awesome game? No other arcade game has done this to me, and it's pissing me the fuck off. I've got an older non-wireless xbox, and with the way my system is set up, it's a pain in the ass to get the damn thing connect to xbox live.

Amibguous Cad said:
I realize your company probably has nothing to do with this decision, but do you have any idea why the flying fuck I have to be logged into xbox live to play your awesome game? No other arcade game has done this to me, and it's pissing me the fuck off. I've got an older non-wireless xbox, and with the way my system is set up, it's a pain in the ass to get the damn thing connect to xbox live.
Yeah, that's an Xbox LIVE Indie Games thing. It's the same for all of them. And it's totally rubbish but there's nothing that can be done about it :(

Feep

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
Yeah, I'm really sorry about that. It has to do with the fact that indie games are not submitted to the ESRB, so to get around the issue, Microsoft forces a connection so that the game is considered "Online Content", and is thus not subject to ratings restrictions.

The Friendly Monster said:
Just saw this on Eurogamer, awesome work man!

I remember you starting this project in the XNA thread, and you giving me valuable help with my project. I'm so happy you stuck with it and made something brilliant.

Congratulations.
RELEASE PIZZICATI

Feep said:
Yeah, I'm really sorry about that. It has to do with the fact that indie games are not submitted to the ESRB, so to get around the issue, Microsoft forces a connection so that the game is considered "Online Content", and is thus not subject to ratings restrictions.

And I believe it is also the reason why XBLIG games are not for sale in some countries.

Finally got my xbox hooked up to the internet, and I'm really enjoying this so far. Really wish I had a dance pad to enjoy it with, but the mechanic of having to swap between all the different lanes adds some interesting dimensions to the guitar playing. Great work!

Feep

Banned
So, now that the number of playtesters has gone up from "eleven" to approximately "lots of people", two crashing bugs have made themselves known. They have ALREADY BEEN FIXED and will be submitted (along with Lefty Flip action) immediately once the seven-day lockout period has ended. Let me tell you what they are, so you can avoid them:

1) If you attempt to unequip an armor or accessory and you aren’t wearing anything, the game will crash.

2) If you attempt to return to Floor the First *immediately* after arriving in the second Safe Room, the game will crash upon defeating any enemy. This can be avoided by simply defeating one enemy on Floor the Second before attempting to return downward.

My fervent apologies for these bugs. Please bear with us until the patch is submitted. = (

Also, to make up for it, later I will be unveiling...THE FIRST SECRET CODE! Even ToyThatKills doesn't know about this one, folks. = D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Congrats Feep! Loved the concept ever since you first revealed it and will get it when I get my 360 back.

Somehow learned the game was set on the easiest difficulty setting even though I could have sworn it was on hard. Bumped it up to medium, and it's a whole lot harder than I was expecting. I have like a 33% winning percentage. I intend to keep at it, though! I feel like this game has a similar problem to other rhythm games, in that one difficulty is too easy, but the one up from it is too hard... I'm getting the hang of medium, though.

Feep

Banned
Amibguous Cad said:
Somehow learned the game was set on the easiest difficulty setting even though I could have sworn it was on hard. Bumped it up to medium, and it's a whole lot harder than I was expecting. I have like a 33% winning percentage. I intend to keep at it, though! I feel like this game has a similar problem to other rhythm games, in that one difficulty is too easy, but the one up from it is too hard... I'm getting the hang of medium, though.
You can do it! = D

fernoca

Forgot about this!
Downloading the demo to see if "I get it". :p

The art features some good looking guys, which is rare in many videogames. So that's a plus so far! XD

Feep

Banned
fernoca said:
Forgot about this!
Downloading the demo to see if "I get it". :p

The art features some good looking guys, which is rare in many videogames. So that's a plus so far! XD
(laugh) Well that's the most unexpected compliment I've heard so far. = D (I actually had Naia deliberately drawn as "fairly cute", and not skinny/sexy/hot, because I was tired of seeing unrealistic depictions of female leads in games.)

Also, FIRST CODE OMG:

To play any battle song in a standalone, DDR-like environment (similar to when you learn new spells), go to the Bonus screen, navigate to the song you want, hold down the left and right analog sticks, and press the Y button. You'll be taken to a screen where you can just DDR it out. = D This only works on battle songs, of course.

Enjoy!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is absolutely fantastic. Superb genre mash up. Great job Feep.

Also, definitely a bug in the game. If you pick medium difficulty in the beginning (maybe any difficulty), it will put you at easy until you change it in the safe room.

The game gets twice as fun at medium, btw.

Feep said:
You can do it! = D

I would be kicking so much ass if I had a dance pad on the 360 =( This and stepmania just might convince me to spring for a PC pad if you can ever get it ported to steam.

Game's definitely better on the higher difficult,y though. I'm sweating after almost every battle, and that's on the guitar! I can't imagine how awesome this would be with a dance pad.

I've been really surprised by how high quality the voice acting, art, and writing have been, too. The game's laugh out loud funny in most of the cutscenes, and the VA does exactly what you'd hope it to do, blend in the background so as to be unobtrusive. It's excellent work.

Best 3 bucks I've spent on gaming this year, easily.

Feep said:
RELEASE PIZZICATI
Mate, I can't even get it to run on my own computer at the moment! Dunno what's going on.

I'm actually going to be going independent myself in a couple of months. Will be doing some more small projects, really looking forward to it. I'll buy (and play) your game tomorrow.

fernoca

Well, Feep you had me at hello... :p

Us2aN.png

(Rated it, but still says 'Rate This' :p)

Super high production values, great artwork, awesome music and fun..plus love the concept! It sounded really "difficult", but it plays like Rock Band Unplugged on PSP and I've been whining at developers like Harmonix for not releasing something like Unplugged on consoles/Live/PSN.

So you granted my wish! XD
Now back to play moar!!

fernoca

Yep, loving this. Music's awesome, the dialog/sense of humor is actually fun, voice acting is well done too. :)

And the battles are fun, really love the concept. Know it will get difficult later, but still...Well done.

Don't know if it's a known bug, but when I tried out the trial, I went to settings first and changed a couple things and then when I went back to the title screen, it wouldn't let me start a new game or even exit, all I could do was access the settings again.

Anyway, had to restart and then I'm greeted with the 8-minute limit message, which I found to be incredibly stupid. Is 15 minutes really too much?

By the time I got into the game I only had few a minutes left and the gameplay wasn't really doing anything for me, it's something we've all done before and it just doesn't hold up anymore, for me at least. And unfortunately the story and writing didn't win me over, but I'm gonna give it another try when the patch hits and hopefully the retarded 8 minute limit is removed. (I always wonder how stupid decisions like that get greenlit in big budget high profile games, but I guess indie games aren't immune to the phenomenon either.)

Sorry if I sound like an ass, just giving my honest opinion and I really wanted to like this game, followed its development for a couple of years. I will definitely give it another shot, but my first impression was bad.

Feep

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Don't know if it's a known bug, but when I tried out the trial, I went to settings first and changed a couple things and then when I went back to the title screen, it wouldn't let me start a new game or even exit, all I could do was access the settings again.
This is incredibly weird. I'll check it out.

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyway, had to restart and then I'm greeted with the 8-minute limit message, which I found to be incredibly stupid. Is 15 minutes really too much?
This is a hard-coded limit into all Xbox Live Indie Games. I'd love to give you fifteen, really. = (

fernoca

Well, the 8 minutes limit is put in place by Microsoft, not the ones making the games.

An eight minute trial period is enforced for Indie Games, after which, if the player has not yet purchased the game, the game will end and inform them they need to purchase the full version to keep playing. The developers have no control over this trial period. This limit was initially four minutes but feedback from players and developers extended the trial period

Feep said:
This is incredibly weird. I'll check it out.

This is a hard-coded limit into all indie games. I'd love to give you fifteen, really. = (

Are you sure about that? I could swear it was upped to 15 shortly after launch. And I've even played 15 minute trials, I think.

But if that's the case, I apologize.

fernoca said:
Well, the 8 minutes limit is put in place by Microsoft, not the ones making the games.

That's weird.. I could swear it was 15.

Feep

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
That's weird.. I could swear it was 15.
Definitely eight. I kind of understand why...some indie games are SO short that fifteen minutes could conceivably be the entire experience. But in the case of my game, which is 6-8 hours at the absolute minimum, with more complex gameplay mechanics...it's really, really short. = (

One thing to help you out would be to skip all cutscenes/tutorials you had already done on your next runthrough. But if you want to wait for the patch, that's okay too. = D

Feep said:
Definitely eight. I kind of understand why...some indie games are SO short that fifteen minutes could conceivably be the entire experience. But in the case of my game, which is 6-8 hours at the absolute minimum, with more complex gameplay mechanics...it's really, really short. = (

One thing to help you out would be to skip all cutscenes/tutorials you had already done on your next runthrough. But if you want to wait for the patch, that's okay too. = D

I just went ahead and bought it. I don't like to be rushed and I kind of felt bad for getting annoyed with the 8 minute thing..heh

Now I can sit down with it and take my time.

Feep

Banned
ToyThatKills said:
It’s impossible not to fall in love with Sequence. Even if the combat takes a few fights to get used to, there’s so much else to like about the game that by the end, no matter how much you try to fight it, it will have stolen your heart.
wwm0nkey said:
Yeah, loving the hell out of this game, really should come out on STEAM.
FlyinJ said:
This game is absolutely fantastic. Superb genre mash up. Great job Feep.
fernoca said:
Yep, loving this. Music's awesome, the dialog/sense of humor is actually fun, voice acting is well done too. :)

And the battles are fun, really love the concept. Know it will get difficult later, but still...Well done.
Amibguous Cad said:
Best 3 bucks I've spent on gaming this year, easily.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past Feep said:
Dear members of future-GAF,

My name is Jason, and at the time of this writing, it is 7:12 PM on October 7th, 2008. Today is the day I decided, definitively, to complete my game, [Sequence]. It may take some time.

If this message has been posted, it means that not only has my game been released, but that someone (you!) has written something extremely nice about it. Not just "this was pretty good", but something that really told me that my work was justified, that the time it took to complete this game was time well-spent.

It might have been just a few anonymous words, but at the timestamp date of this post, future-me is surely a smiling, happy person. He made someone's day just a tiny bit brighter, and that was what he worked, for what was surely years, so hard to accomplish.

So thank you, whoever you might be. Just know that whatever you just said meant a lot, and that by causing this message to appear, you made a lifelong dream come true.

- Jason
October 7th, 2008

fernoca

Hehehe, that's cute and cool at the same time. (Though my words didn't touched you.. :( .. :p)

I already sent a few messages to friends I know like music games and RPGs, so let's see if they also love it and spread the word.

Onto Floor 2 now...can you replay boss battles? Loved the first boss/music!

fernoca

Hahaha, you didn't had to add me I was just joking. XD
Though the "you granting my wish" sounded better. There I sound so plain and arrogant. :p

Top Bottom