• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of cancelled racing game by Bizarre Creations

arrlw8.gif

Put a Kudos counter on it and stick a fork in it.

The death of the mid-tier developers and publisher just stings even more.

Yes, it feels like there is no middle ground anymore sadly. It's either a AAA blockbuster (many of which have become homogenised) or the opposite end of the spectrum, niche indie titles.

Why the fuck didn't Microsoft pick up these guys again?

First time? MS were in disarray with the transition from Moore to Mattrick. Remember the 3 B's? Also they probably wanted to focus more on the Forza franchise after the poor sales of PGR4.

Second time? Was better to let Bizarre die, and then recruit the cream of the studio afterwards. Much of the talent is at Playground Games now as a result.

jett

D-Member
is there a reason why all arcade racing games have such open straight tracks? Blur, splitsecond, and every NeedforSpeed game since 2004. every video looks the same; set on a city circuit with wide sweeping corners with huge flashing markers.

Western arcade racers, you mean. This is why I don't care for most of them. I'll always have my old RIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAACEEEEERS. Fucking Unbounded, man. That game was shameful.

Graphically this looks neat, but yeah...wide-ass mostly straight tracks.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I live in a world where we get 5 NFS titles a year but this got canceled? There is no God.

It's just weird to have these realistic looking cars/tracks and then go all crazy with the physics and weapons.. really weird to look at if you ask me.

MMaRsu

Banned
I live in a world where we get 5 NFS titles a year but this got canceled? There is no God.

It's not like the racing in Blur was better than the racing in NFS Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted...

I love Bizarre Creations too but hey..

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
That looked brilliant. It's a genuine shame that it never saw the light of day.

Losing Bizarre and Studio Liverpool this generation has been a massive blow to fans of arcade racers with depth. PGR 1, 2 & 3 are still comfortably in my top ten favourite racing games of all time.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's not like the racing in Blur was better than the racing in NFS Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted...

Nah absolutely not, but it sure as hell was bloody fun. Never really viewed Blur as a racing game to begin with, more like a spruced up Kart Racer, but dang if it wasn't fun.

But PGR4 was comfortably better than those games, & unlike Criterion Bizarre never intentionally handicapped their own game due to arrogance.

i-Lo

The lighting and texture work in the second one looks peerless. Absolutely photo-realistic. In fact, the only thing that stuck out was the car itself.

Vitor711

This just reminds me of the Studio Liverpool and BlackRock closures.

Bummer time to be an arcade racing fan. Never could get into Blur but Split/Second had so much potential and I maintain that Wipeout HD (with the Fury add-on) is the best racer this gen

Karak

Honestly crank up the resolution and lock that at 60fps and that looks very close to a next gen launch title. That is impressive. Pure dev skill.

Nilaul

fuck I want this game :(

there's just no justice in this horrible world.

nah,Bond movies are now more "realistic" and should stay that way.

if you want something like that in a Bond movies just watch Die Another Day again I guess.

It is realistic, with just enough speed a f1 car can go upside down in a tunnel. However the question is... is this car fast enough to pull that off. However It could probably be done in a smaller scale.

2San

Can't say those clips get me excited. There is a reason PGR has a lot of love, and it isn't because of silly weapon additions or driving on the side of buildings.

If Bizarre could ever have made another game, I'd have wanted a pure racing experience, which is what they do best imo.
Yeah these are my sentiments as well. It's just odd to have real cars in such kart style game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ged Talbot (Blur/Project Gotham lead) went to Evolution Studios (MotorStorm guys) do we know if he is still with them? maybe he can throw a Blur spiritual successor next gen with that studio.

I never got Blur or Split/Second (broke/unemployed at the time), but this thread is making me wish I did. Loved Bizzare's work. :'(

That Dubai video? Very yes.

Top Bottom