• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

CLEEK

Either the ban or microsoft's day one patch isn't up yet and the 500 mb patch did not remove the online requirement. You know maybe he really did play offline after the ban and after 24 hours the console locked up the way microsoft described originally.....

It was suggested in one of the recent CBOAT threads that the DRM removal might not make the launch firmware update. Using this one guy's experience isn't the best way to gauge whether this is the case or not, as we don't know how the console banning has effected things.

This is his original tweet on it:

c

and later he says this:

c

He may just be confused? I think they essentially locked the whole console down remotely? Although I'm not sure how that's possible if he's offline, but yeah.
It's starting to sound like the patch he downloaded wasn't the actual DRM removal patch.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, it might actually be the 24 hour thing, since he was playing it before. Guessing the 500mb thing isn't the finalized day one update.

Steel

Banned
Really? People are pretending like this is a real issue? SMH.

No I believe the consensus here is: "I'm confused..."

It was suggested in one of the recent CBOAT threads that the DRM removal might not make the launch firmware update. Using this one guy's experience isn't the best way to gauge whether this is the case or not, as we don't know how the console banning has effected things.

No, no I agree. I'm just thinking that they may not have fully implemented the DRM removal patch yet and that could explain his problem.

PBY

Banned

Not sure that was ever suggested? Link?

Interesting. Maybe MS said, "okay gai's.......we won't do DRM, but secretly we will tell the publishers to make all their games require online".

George+Burns+-+The+Simpsons.png

Obviously just speculating and joking of course.

Cmagus

Remember that 24 hour check in requirement that MS was talking about? 24 hours might have passed and now he can't.

Most likely and the patch he has either isn't the one that reverses the DRM from before or its just not in its final state yet. I mean the console is more than a week away I would be concerned if its was like 2-3 days out they still have plenty of time.I mean its dumb they locked him out but I mean complaining your console isn't working when you got it really early isn't really fair.

-PXG-

Hopefully this means that the patch is either incomplete or split into two or several updates. This shit better be sorted out by the 22nd, or else MS has some 'splaining to do.

If his system was banned perhaps it needs to be reset or has been reset? Did he install the update again? Can he play any other game or is this isolated to just Ghosts? Does he own any other disc games to try offline?

So many people can't seem to wait for the system to launch before we can actually see how this thing works.

Replicant

What benefit would this give publishers

Maybe in the original version of Xbone this was the plan to ensure no pirated copy? But now they've taken the DRM.... I don't know. Unless, they have no idea how to make the system play offline completely.

Also, it's draconian to make the entire console unplayable just because he played it early. Block access to LIVE by all means but the guy has paid $500 to play on the console offline.

Moa

Was Black Ops 1 the only COD to require Gold for bot modes? Or has it been this way ever since?

Blops was the last COD I played on the Xbox.

Treyarch later patched in a way to play with bots, offline. You had to sign in first obviously but it was possible.

Finalizer

The one that said he downloaded the day one update which is factually incorrect?

Which is why it would behoove MS to clarify BEFORE things get out of hand, if it isn't what's one everyone's mind. All it would take is a simple, straightforward tweet to head this off at the pass before anything comes of it, if there's really nothing to worry about.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
*Activates the Buttocks beacon*

Interested to know if this was Publisher decision or MS. Clarification on this issue at hand would be nice.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Wait he can't even access the system settings? You have to be shitting me. You literally have to be shitting me. That's downright insane.

hawk2025

I don't think anyone is confused. Seriously. What, the new narrative is that games don't work at all without gold? Go crazy if you want but obviously that's not the case.

Well, "obviously" we have no idea what's actually going on. It stands to reason that, yes, perhaps turning off the online check didn't make it to the patch he currently has, or simply that he's mistaken or confused about something.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but didn't Major Nelson say he would be able to play offline until the ban was lifted closer to launch?

sfedai0

Banned
Unbelievable we've even come to a point where we are wondering if we can play games that we purchased on a video game console.

Steel

Banned
I don't think anyone is confused. Seriously. What, the new narrative is that games don't work at all without gold? Go crazy if you want but obviously that's not the case.

No the narrative is: why is this happening. Not that many posts saying that the drm is back, we're just trying to figure out if it's the ban or if the patch is incomplete. Or if activision itself is not allowing offline play on xbox one.

Top Bottom