• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

danm999

Very excited for this. All preloaded on an SSD and everything. Hopefully since I'm on Australian East Coast time it's only a few hours wait away.

I'm pretty sure there's already a popular GoT mod for Crusader Kings 2 if you're interested.

Didn't the Skaven pretty much curbstomp every other race during the End Times? I recall reading that they overran Brettonia and murdered/beheaded Thorgrim, though I don't really follow fantasy lore very much.

They destroyed Lustria, Tilea, Estalia, every single one of the dwarven holds, and Nuln. Most of the Empire was destroyed by a Nurgle vanguard for Archaon to move in.

Is Warhammer Fantasy suppose to continue after the "End Times"? Or was that it?

Age of Sigmar is the current GW product that replace fantasy. The world that this game takes place was destroyed by Archaon in the End Times. I recommend listening to Garagehammer podcast where they go through the series. The origin of Age of Sigmar is a bit weird, since it takes place in a unknown amount of time after the Old World ended.

Tankman

First entry I've bought at launch and I've been playing since Rome:TW. Fantasy is such a perfect fit for this series. Played the Third Age mod for Med2:TW as much as one of the mainline entries.

The magic system in this game is pretty good if you have a wizard in your army. I feel like the empire is going to be really good in this aspect, with the Vampire Counts coming in second or matching them.

Peterpan

Ok I am a total noob, I played the Dawn of War games, but why is there space marines and elf like creatures (Eldar) in Dawn of War and in Total War Warhammer game it seems totally different? Don't really follow the universe beyond the games that much. Different timelines? Different Universes all together? Someone help me out?

MikeDown

Banned
Umm.. You must be thinking of the re release, I think it was called emperors edition a year after it came out. That was good. It's even better now, but at launch the game wad literally broken.
I bought it like a week or two after launch.

Ok I am a total noob, I played the Dawn of War games, but why is there space marines and elf like creatures (Eldar) in Dawn of War and in Total War Warhammer game it seems totally different? Don't really follow the universe beyond the games that much. Different timelines? Different Universes all together? Someone help me out?

Dawn of War is based on Warhammer 40k, which is space fantasy sci fi. This is based on the original (Now branded as Warhammer Fantasy)

The best that I can explain it is that they are on they're own world and try not think of 40k while playing it.

Violet_0

Banned

Total War: Warhammer uses the Warhammer Fantasy Battle setting, the Dawn of War games take place in Warhammer 40k. Different universes (well, maybe) - think of them like Warcraft and Starcraft

Different universes is my understanding. Think of Warhammer as basically the 40K galactic saga but on a single planet, set in a pseudo early Modern period.

Effect

Age of Sigmar is the current GW product that replace fantasy. The world that this game takes place was destroyed by Archaon in the End Times. I recommend listening to Garagehammer podcast where they go through the series. The origin of Age of Sigmar is a bit weird, since it takes place in a unknown amount of time after the Old World ended.

Thanks. I'll search for that podcast.

4Tran

Well there's mod support, so Lotr/Thrones mods seem fairly likely. They said they won't be officially supported and as such removed from the workshop due to copyrights, but afaik that doesn't prevent you from hosting them on other sites and what not. Does depend quite a bit on the modding tools accessibility though.
I wouldn't count on it. The last Total War game to have such extensive mods was Medieval 2. Ever since then the campaign map has been a lot harder to modify, and modders have kept to less ambitious projects.

Different universes is my understanding. Think of Warhammer as basically the 40K galactic saga but on a single planet, set in a pseudo early Modern period.
It's the other way around. Fantasy came first, and Games Workshop made the 40K universe as a more comedic counterpart to it. Confusion from the naming aside, there are no real connections between the two.

This is might be too early to say, but would the Woods Elves work better in a horde type faction or a settlement syle faction.

Well settlements doesn't make too much sense, but nor does horde, kinda. Someone had a fairly lore friendly system though that would work off a system similar to corruptions which lets you grow the forest in the regions(the forest is ever expanding in the lore after all), and you'd probably raze every settlement to let the forest completely take over or some sort of similar system. So basically, kind of an hybrid of the various systems currently, where you don't occupy stuff like horde, need corruption to spread like chaos/vampire counts but still probably get some sort of ressource for conquering the regions rather than just the money you earn from fights/sacking like hordes(since once the forest is bigger, it'd make sense for your power to grow stronger).

I think it sounded pretty realistic for a way to make the Wood Elves work. Although their win conditions seems a bit more hard to figure out, would they need to conquer the entire world? I believe Chaos wins earlier than that, so maybe they'd just need to conquer a part of the world and the rest would be assumed to fall later on. Could depend on who is their rival faction if any too.

Well settlements doesn't make too much sense, but nor does horde, kinda. Someone had a fairly lore friendly system though that would work off a system similar to corruptions which lets you grow the forest in the regions(the forest is ever expanding in the lore after all), and you'd probably raze every settlement to let the forest completely take over or some sort of similar system. So basically, kind of an hybrid of the various systems currently, where you don't occupy stuff like horde, need corruption to spread like chaos/vampire counts but still probably get some sort of ressource for conquering the regions rather than just the money you earn from fights/sacking like hordes(since once the forest is bigger, it'd make sense for your power to grow stronger).

I think it sounded pretty realistic for a way to make the Wood Elves work. Although their win conditions seems a bit more hard to figure out, would they need to conquer the entire world? I believe Chaos wins earlier than that, so maybe they'd just need to conquer a part of the world and the rest would be assumed to fall later on. Could depend on who is their rival faction if any too.

That is interesting to think about. For the win conditions, I would say survival is more of an important factor than conquering the world for the Wood Elves.

zugzug

So in the blood bowl one game there is an amazon team. Do they just come from the human faction or are they considered their own faction?

Violet_0

Banned
So in the blood bowl one game there is an amazon team. Do they just come from the human faction or are they considered their own faction?

there isn't an official Amazons faction as far as I'm aware. Maybe a custom White Dwarf ruleset or some of the very early models, but they're a bit too goofy for normal Warhammer
They totally are a thing in the lore and Bloob Bowl and Mordheim etc. but I guess they don't have the numbers to be a legit big scale warring faction.
well never mind, I didn't know about this

Houndi101

there isn't an official Amazons faction as far as I'm aware. Maybe a custom White Dwarf ruleset or some of the very early models, but they're a bit too goofy for normal Warhammer

They totally are a thing in the lore and Bloob Bowl and Mordheim etc. but I guess they don't have the numbers to be a legit big scale warring faction.

DrTeflon

I've been playing for a couple of days (review is still not up, taking my time) and yeah, I'm having a blast.

I might not be a huge fan of some changes to its strategic layer, most specifically to how taxation works and events. But to every small change you get stuff like a more interesting character progression.

They might bother your typical Total war fan, but otherwise, maybe the most solid entry since Shogun 2. It does lack more formations, though.

Also: Chaos are AMAZING.

A.Romero

I've been playing for a couple of days (review is still not up, taking my time) and yeah, I'm having a blast.

I might not be a huge fan of some changes to its strategic layer, most specifically to how taxation works and events. But to every small change you get stuff like a more interesting character progression.

They might bother your typical Total war fan, but otherwise, maybe the most solid entry since Shogun 2. It does lack more formations, though.

Also: Chaos are AMAZING.

Oh please, do tell

Peterpan

Thanks for the info guys. When I first heard of the game thought it would be in the 40k universe.

I wish they would give us the Chaos legions for free, I can't afford the game on release unfortunately. So now I have to pay for the Chaos legion. Broke college student problems.

DrTeflon

Oh please, do tell

They work pretty much as a horde from Attila, in warhammer they are the middle ground between quality over quanity (dwarves having the most expensive units).

But goddamn it is fun to watch some huge units clash into dwarves and such. I think its campaign its the hardest one to get into (if you dont know how horde works, there's a lot of planning to do otherwise your campaign can get over real quick lol).

A.Romero

They work pretty much as a horde from Attila, in warhammer they are the middle ground between quality over quanity (dwarves having the most expensive units).

But goddamn it is fun to watch some huge units clash into dwarves and such. I think its campaign its the hardest one to get into (if you dont know how horde works, there's a lot of planning to do otherwise your campaign can get over real quick lol).

Thanks.

I guess it's humans for me first then.

Kreim

Neo Member
So with dwarves/greenskin and empire/vampires not being able to capture each other's cities, how do wars work with them?

Like, can they even war with one another? If so, do you just get the option to raze cities or something?

ISee

So with dwarves/greenskin and empire/vampires not being able to capture each other's cities, how do wars work with them?

Like, can they even war with one another? If so, do you just get the option to raze cities or something?

It's warhammer. War is everywhere. They can either loot or raze enemy cities.
I assume it's because of gameplay reasons as they don't want dwarves to be able to build greenskin units etc.

It's warhammer. War is everywhere. They can either loot or raze enemy cities.
I assume it's because of gameplay reasons as they don't want dwarves to be able to build greenskin units etc.

You can't build the units regardless, and dwarfs can occupy holds that were orc controlled before fine, in fact that's mostly what they'll do.

The way it works is, Dwarfs and Greenskins can only occupy Holds, which are cities mostly in the mountains to the east and south, so they kinda mostly focus on killing each other(this includes dwarfs killing dwarfs and greenskins killing greenskins).

Meanwhile Empire and Vampire Counts can only occupy Settlements, which are cities in the north(but not too far north where it becomes Chaos). They focus on killing each other.

You can however take out any other faction that stands in your way/threaten you if you want, and you can raze every hold as empire/vc or every settlement as orc/dwarfs, you just can't occupy them.

There is also a mod that will be available later today at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications that will remove that restriction if you want to. It'll let you occupy holds as Empire/VC and settlements as Dwarf/Greenskin if you want.

Westlo

This out in an hour, overwatch just came out and my europe le copy of fire emblem rocked up, what the fuck do i play tonight!?

Nordicus

The magic system in this game is pretty good if you have a wizard in your army. I feel like the empire is going to be really good in this aspect, with the Vampire Counts coming in second or matching them.
The Vampire Counts have some great stuff, saw a streamer get a perfect long row of melee encounters going just so he could flank the whole enemy front with Heinrich Kemmler and clean them up with one devastating Wind of Death sweep. It was like watching hundreds of bowling pins fall over.

ISee

mine says 9 hours. what is this madness

The guys on the official stream yesterday were saying that the steam timer is false. But...
I'm a bit doubtful.
Anyway we'll se in about 20 minutes I guess.

You can't build the units regardless, and dwarfs can occupy holds that were orc controlled before fine, in fact that's mostly what they'll do.

The way it works is, Dwarfs and Greenskins can only occupy Holds, which are cities mostly in the mountains to the east and south, so they kinda mostly focus on killing each other(this includes dwarfs killing dwarfs and greenskins killing greenskins).

Meanwhile Empire and Vampire Counts can only occupy Settlements, which are cities in the north(but not too far north where it becomes Chaos). They focus on killing each other.

You can however take out any other faction that stands in your way/threaten you if you want, and you can raze every hold as empire/vc or every settlement as orc/dwarfs, you just can't occupy them.

There is also a mod that will be available later today at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications that will remove that restriction if you want to. It'll let you occupy holds as Empire/VC and settlements as Dwarf/Greenskin if you want.

I see. thx

Top Bottom